AVS Forum banner

IKEA DIY Projector mount for my Epson 6100

29K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Asgard1an 
#1 ·
Well got my new Epson 6100 for christmas thanks to my Mrs.

We just finished moving into our new home and i wanted something to have a little storage and if possible a door on it.

I looked around for several days and finally off to our large IKEA out here and I think I have completed a very nice mount that will work for several other projectors.

Here is my list.

Tools

Drill plus forstner bit I used 2" for wire hole

Level

Stud finder

IKEA parts

1-Inreda roller shelf $39.00 http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/50144497

1-Inreda shelf insert black brown $12.00 http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/00119508

1-Besta Shelf unit black brown $40.00 http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/80102146

1-Inreda wall bracket $9.00 sorry can not find the link. part number is 101.245.85

Here is the corner before I mounted the cabinet.

Next figure were the location of the wall mount will be positioned. You must mount this into studs. VERY IMPORTANT.

Assemble the cabinet (took me 5 minutes) install roller shelf at this time.

Now you will have to think of were you must drill a hole with a forstner bit for your wires.Remember to drill well above the shelf to prevent any issues with your cables.

On the rear of the cabinet now install the wall clips with one screw on each.

Next drill the holes threw these into the cabinet for the 2 screws to mount to the wall bracket.

Clean out the cabinet after drilling the holes as this is the best time to do this before you mount the cabinet.

You may need 2 people to get the cabinet up to the location depends on were you mount yours.Mine i just picked it up and put it on the wall, it just sits into the clips on the rear of the cabinet.

Now line up the holes and mount the 2 screws threw the cabinet rear wall into the wall bracket.

Last place in the black brown shelf insert.

Finally cabinet mounted and ready to place your projector into. (dorr is optional but I did not use one)

Below is before BlueJean cables arrived

After BlueJean series 1 HDMI cables were installed.

See less See more
#2 ·
Clever idea , nicely done

- Jason

#3 ·
Nicely done!

I had a similar idea a while back....currently with a Epson TW2000, but soon to cradle an JVC HD750. It too has a "service platform".

#4 ·
Thanks

Yes looks great once it was finished all of 1 hour from opening the boxes till I had the projector running.

I will end up putting the wires threw the wall beside the cabinet into the closet in the room on the otherside.This is why I left it the way I did for now.

Your mount looks sweet by the way

#7 ·
Over the las few days I have taken several temp readings.

These readings were done with a digital temp laser reader plus old thermo style.

Finds

Room temp 68

Box temp around the cold projector 69-70

Run projector 6 hrs 2 movies and some tv time

Room temp 73 ( now 4 people added a little heat plus the heat from the projector )

Temp around inside of the box 81

Temp coming out of the front vent of the projector 121

These were averaged taken 4 times.

Short of it does the box heat up with the projector all the way inside on slider.

Yes but not worth worrying about it..

#9 ·
Holds projector lens in place and protects during shipping.

#11 ·
BTW very nice job and good idea.

#13 ·

Here is my version of the IKEA mount. I love this thing so much! It is sooo much easier to align, clean, focus, swapp out, etc the pj. I am using this for my new Epson 8500ub. I inverted the orginal design from RAWC and it works better for ceiling mount applications. I have some installation photos if anybody is interested. PM me.

#14 ·
VideoDrone,

I've been searching for a good ceiling mount for my projector and ran across this rather old thread. I haven't posted enough on AVS Forums to send you a PM, so if you're still around and monitoring replies to this thread, I would be interested in seeing your installation photos. Thanks in advance!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.