AVS Forum banner

RCA to XLR? It's THAT (1646) easy!

6K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  A9X-308 
#1 ·
If you already have a clean power supply capable of +/- 15 volts, this is the way to go!

One chip, 4 caps and you get noiseless, amplified balanced outs.

I put this internal in the bassis, where before I used the cleanbox. This is completely *Completely* noise free.

http://www.thatcorp.com/datashts/1600data.pdf

The 1646 chip was about $9 to the door. Everything else, including an xlr if you need it, maybe $15 or so. If you need a power supply, there are many available for 30 -50 bucks. But if you are running all pro amps, you can use the power supply for all channels.

Anywho, works for me.

See less See more
#5 ·
Nope, in the servo feedback. It is what they suggest in the PDF sheet.

I was going to try it with and without, they are optional - they cutout the dc offset - but the results were so outstanding with them in, I did not short them out. It was all the rat shack had on a Sunday afternoon anyway. At least they are not polarized 'lytics.

One caveat with this setup, it would not work with the bassis in the bypass mode. It says in the pdf that it has to be driven directly off the op amp (which basically what a bassis is comprised of) and they meant it. Mucho noise in bypass. I permanently bypassed the bypass switch at the pc board. Not sure how the output of the sony es receiver is set up, but apparently it was not low impedance enough. So anyone who is going to use this may also have to set up a op amp in the input. Easy enough to do, just want anyone to be aware of it.

#8 ·
Dan, thanks for the link!

I will now have to see if I slip a 150ohm resistor in the bypass circuit, if I can bring that function back. I of course never use bypass, but I hate having a useless switch.

It is amazing to me that Phil (Marchand) does not incorporate this into the bassis design. He needs to. I would think that a large majority of his customers for this unit are using big amps to get small sealed subs to bark like a big dog. My Maelstrom came today. Going to stuff it in a 21" cube...

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by digital desire /forum/post/15772628

http://www.thatcorp.com/datashts/1600data.pdf

The 1646 chip was about $9 to the door. Everything else, including an xlr if you need it, maybe $15 or so. If you need a power supply, there are many available for 30 -50 bucks. But if you are running all pro amps, you can use the power supply for all channels.

Excellent timing. I was looking at the SSM2142 for another non HT project this morning, but the 1646 looks worth trying this time.

Where did you score the chip please?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.