AVS Forum banner

License To Kill + Man With The Golden Gun

31K views 258 replies 86 participants last post by  dvdmike007 
#1 ·
#52 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by THSS /forum/post/16090939

It appears Best Buy has an exclusive box set coming on Tuesday 3/24. The set will include Quantum of Solace, Licence To Kill and The Man With The Golden Gun. I know the 2 older films will not be out at other stores until 5/12.

http://commanderbond.net/article/6078

I wonder if this was an exclusive for Best Buy since they lost out to Amazon on the steelbooks for TWINE, Goldfinger and Moonraker??

so, you can get these from best buy early basically, just not steelbook?

#54 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by colombianlove41 /forum/post/16101607

so, you can get these from best buy early basically, just not steelbook?

The set is a Best Buy exclusive on Tuesday. The films are out early there. Other retailers will have LTK and TMWTGG on May 12.

I'm not sure about the steelbook packaging.

Does anyone know if the Best Buy packaging is steelbook / non steelbook and if there will be 3 individual blu ray cases for each of the films? Or will it be the cardboard page type boxes that MGM used for sets 1 and 2?

#56 ·
hey all,I just got the Bestbuy exclusive 3 pack (Golden gun. license to kill and QoS). The bad news is that the packaging is different than the previous 2 volumes so it doesn't match terribly well. The semi-good news is that it uses the same cardboard box as many other blu-ray boxsets so the discs come in their own cases which means you don't have to worry about foam tabs or damaged discs.

#57 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdssrugby /forum/post/16103626

hey all,I just got the Bestbuy exclusive 3 pack (Golden gun. license to kill and QoS). The bad news is that the packaging is different than the previous 2 volumes so it doesn't match terribly well. The semi-good news is that it uses the same cardboard box as many other blu-ray boxsets so the discs come in their own cases which means you don't have to worry about foam tabs or damaged discs.

pics please. Anxious to see this.

#58 ·
Do you want pics of the case or screenshots? I'll post some comparisons for Golden gun and Licese to kill some time today. Initial impressions are that Golden gun is clean but not a wax job, with pretty good detail. I would put it close to, but just below, Live and Let Die in terms of video quality. License to Kill had an excellent level of detail, but at the expense of EE throughout the film. It likewise was a clean transfer (no specks etc).

#59 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdssrugby /forum/post/16104169

Do you want pics of the case or screenshots? I'll post some comparisons for Golden gun and Licese to kill some time today. Initial impressions are that Golden gun is clean but not a wax job, with pretty good detail. I would put it close to, but just below, Live and Let Die in terms of video quality. License to Kill had an excellent level of detail, but at the expense of EE throughout the film. It likewise was a clean transfer (no specks etc).

just some pics of the case. Just to satisfy curiosity. Thanks for the info by the way. Solidified my decision for Tuesday. Cancelled my amazon order.

#60 ·
I was thinking about cancelling my Amazon order for all of the titles they are releasing this Tuesday but without seeing how these are packaged I waited. Cant cancel now. If it turns out that these extra 2 are in normal cases I will just pick up the set and sell off my extra QOS.

#62 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdssrugby /forum/post/16103626

Wonderful news!!! Thank you for posting this information!!!

I may pick up the exclusive set on Tuesday.

How do Licence To Kill and The Man With The Golden Gun look on blu ray?

I'm hearing that Moonraker has a pretty amazing transfer on blu ray as well.

#66 ·
Ok so here's a few comparisons from License to Kill. I apologize for the fact that they're JPEGS but I don't feel like paying for a hosting service. I used Media Player classic to take the blu-ray screenshots and I used Powerdvd to take the screenshots for the DVDs. I've put the comparisons in spoiler tags to make it easier to load and scroll through. The DVD's used are from the latest ulitmate edition.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

#67 ·
The packaging ! We want to see the cases for the 2 exclusive early disks. Is it exactly as it will be when Amazon gets around to releasing them ? Other than perhaps the loss of the slipcovers ?

#70 ·
Yes the covers that are on the 2 exclusive discs are the same as on amazon and on page 2. The cardboard box is identical on both sides and can be seen here:
http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/prodde...0&catid=24101#

It comes with a slip of paper that gives a brief synopsis of each film and is not attached to the actual box, I just slipped it in with the movies.

Also, as I mentioned before, both License to Kill and The Man with the Golden Gun both have EE. It's worse on LtoK. The EE in TMWTGG is less offense in my eyes, but still there regardless. I have class tonight but I'll post comparisons for TMWTGG hopefully before midnight.

#71 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDarrylR /forum/post/16105409

That's so last week.

But you have to buy QoS in the pack with them.

Yes, but if you buy 2 Bond Boxsets (Blu-Ray) Best buy drops $25 off the cost of both. I picked up the QoS, MWTGG, and License to Kill boxset along with the boxset that has Goldfinger, World is Not Enough, and Moonraker for $98.xx after tax. That is about $16.xx per movie and one of them is a $25.xx day and date release

#72 ·
I want my matching individual cases with slipcovers. I will wait until May.

#73 ·
WOW, License to Kill looks fantastic. I love that one. I can't wait to get this sometime before Saturday!

#74 ·
Ok, so here's the comparisons for the Man with the Golden Gun. Again I'm using the latest Ultimate Edition DVD's for comparison. Yes there is EE, but no where near as much as License to Kill. Still, a nice step up in detail and colour in comparison to the DVD.

Also, in the sixth set of comparisons you will see the film crew reflected in the mirror after one of the goons bumps it. According to a special feature on the Dr. No blu-ray Lowry offered to remove it but the film makers felt it would be better to leave it in.

#75 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdssrugby /forum/post/16105513

Ok so here's a few comparisons from License to Kill. I apologize for the fact that they're JPEGS but I don't feel like paying for a hosting service.

imageshack.us supports up to 5mb images now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.