Studio and Year: 20th Century Fox - 2008
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Feature running time: 104 Minutes
Genre: Sci-Fi/Thriller

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.35:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, Spanish/French Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish, Portuguese, Cantonese, Korean, Mandarin
Starring: Keanu Reeves, Jennifer Connelly, Jaden Smith, John Hamm, Kathy Bates, John Cleese
Directed by: Scott Derrickson
Music by: Tyler Bates
Written by: David Scarpa based upon the screenplay Edmund H. North
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: April 7, 2009

"A remake of a Sci-Fi Classic"

Film Synopsis:

Epic action and mind-blowing effects rock the planet in this thrilling reinvention of the sci-fi classic, THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL. Keanu Reeves portrays Klaatu, an otherworldly being whose arrival on Earth triggers an unstoppable series of events that threaten all of mankind. In a desperate attempt to save humanity, governments and scientists race to unravel the mystery behind the visitor's appearance. When a woman (Jennifer Connelly) and her young stepson find themselves embroiled in the alien's plan, they become the world's only hope to stave off apocalyptic annihilation.

My Take:

I know that this remake wasn't received well by those faithful to the original. I liked the original concept that examined a concern about humans becoming atomically capable and what those ramifications could mean on a universal scale. In this story the focus is similar but is geared toward an advanced race of aliens who feel that the earth is dying due to man's continued waste of resources and that in order to save it man must be eradicated. The story and characters have been changed and the storyline isn't as cohesive as the original. The relationship between Klaatu (Reeves) and Helen Benson is similar. Her character played by Jennifer Connelly is an Astro-biologist that the government calls in when the alien's sphere is detected on a collision course with earth. Her stepson Jacob (Jaden Smith) is different than the boy from the original and the change works okay except that it doesn't necessarily have any significance within the story. His father passed away and he now lives with her. They don't appear to have a close relationship as he misses his father and seems to resent her. The opening segment takes place in the 1920's and at the time seemed to have a purpose but it is never really explained. I made an assumption about what it meant but later on there is a scene involving a meeting between Klaatu, and another alien that offered no back story and made me question the reason for the opening. I liked the way G.O.R.T was re-imagined. He certainly came off with a much higher intimidation factor here than in the original. Once again I found myself scratching my head. There is a sequence where the military erects large panels around GORT as he stands in Central Park. He is then lowered into what appears to be a large silo where they attempt to drill into him etc. It didn't really seem to make sense other than to set up what happened next which involved the beginning of the demise of the earth. The secretary of defense (Kathy Bates) is in charge (the President and Vice President have been sequestered) and after meeting Klaatu seems to have everything figured out. The problem is that she continually makes rash decisions even after learning the truth about the alien's intentions. A few elements from the original were used but sort of felt out of place here. One example is the meeting between Klaatu and Professor Barnhardt. To me this scene didn't have the importance it had in the original and felt like a throw back only for its sake.

I didn't think that this was a bad film. Comparing it to the classic original diminishes it however taking it at face value it was entertaining. The effects were impressive and the story while uneven and lacking foundation maintained focus and adequate pacing which kept it interesting. Jennifer Connelly and Jaden Smith handled the bulk of the heavy lifting among the cast. She is a captivatingly beautiful woman whose presence onscreen can't help but demand attention. This is not just because of her looks because she is a fine actress as well. I thought that Jaden Smith did a pretty good job. I especially liked his emotional scene that takes place at the cemetery. Keanu Reaves really didn't have to do much. I didn't care for the emotionless nature of his Klaatu. I much preferred Michael Rennie's rendition of the character. If you go into this hoping to find a film that replicated the original prepare to be disappointed. I think that the filmmakers have the utmost respect for the 1951 classic and tried to re-imagine it. Unfortunately the outcome is an average Sci-Fi thriller that pales in comparison.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for some sci-fi disaster images and violence.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 88

• Dynamics:

• Low frequency extension:

• Surround Sound presentation:

• Clarity/Detail:

• Dialogue Reproduction:

Video: 86

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity:

• Black level/Shadow detail:

• Color reproduction:

• Fleshtones:

• Compression:

The day the earth stood still (2008) comes to Blu-ray Disc from Fox featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 25 mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 4.5 mbps.

This high definition video presentation offered quality that is consistent with other newer release films that have been released on Blu-ray Disc. Blacks were strong, with deep gradations and dynamic highlights that looked great when onscreen with mixed content. The film contains a variety of low lit settings and those that take place in uneven light. Shadow detail during these scenes was excellent. Contrast was spot on which empowered bright sequences without whitewashing detail. Images were appreciably delineated and revealing of good textural nuance that enhanced close ups. Long range shots weren't resolved quite as well but appeared crisp and two dimensional. Many of the darker segments tended to highlight grain which imparted a grittier aesthetic that left them less definitively resolute. Sharpness was very good overall but certain scenes took on a softer perspective that may be innate to the photography but was discernible nonetheless. The color palette was not a divergent one as the film makes use of reserved earth tones, and varying shades of gray and blue that were rarely eye catching. When onscreen, primary colors such as the blue of Jennifer Connelly eyes were noticeably enticing and stood out quite nicely. Complexions had good tonal variety and lifelike texture that were a bit less obvious with the fairer skinned members of the cast. This was an excellent offering from Fox on Blu-ray.

The lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio delivered an enriching surround sound experience. This was a dynamically charged mix that featured well intonated, crystal clear dialogue and lucid high level detail that elevated the perception of lower level sounds within the recording. The exemplary sound design carefully blended subtle ambience, discrete near field pans, and off camera spatial cues to create a stable, immersive and articulated listening environment within my room. This resulted in superb imaging and seamless soundstage integration that made the experience involving. Bass response was excellent. Some of the action based sequences had hard hitting authority with deep extension, and room filling power that accentuated dynamics. This soundtrack combines strong dialogue, excellent clarity/detail and extended dynamic range to provide a well rounded and invigorating home theater exhibition.

Bonus Features:

• Commentary by writer David Scarpa

• Klaatu's unseen artifacts: The day the earth stood still PiP BonusView track

• Build your own GORT: BD-Java interactive feature

• (HD) Deleted scenes - 3

• (HD) Re-imagining The Day - 30 minute feature where filmmakers/cast discuss this remake of the 1951 classic

• (HD) Unleashing GORT - 14 minute design featurette

• (HD) Watching the skies: In search of extraterrestrial life - 23 minute documentary

• (HD) The day the earth was green - 14 minute featurette on the environmentally green production

• Still galleries - Concept art, Storyboards, Production photos

• (HD) Theatrical trailer

• Digital Copy Bonus Disc - Contains a standard definition version of the film that can be downloaded from a compatible PC to a portable media player

• Bonus DVD - The original 1951 classic: The day the earth stood still

• D- Box motion code enabled

Final Thoughts:

The day the earth stood still (2008) is an average Scif-Fi thriller that unfortunately fails to capture the true essence of the original 1951 classic. I found it entertaining and enjoyed its excellent high definition audio/video presentation from Fox Blu-ray. If you're curious it is certainly worth the price of a rental to check it out.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS20 1080p High Definition Front Projector

Carada Precision Brilliant White 96" Screen

Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)

Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)

Panasonic DMP-BD55K Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)

Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)

Marantz DV7001 Universal Disc Player

Denon AVR 5308CI THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor

B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 seven Channel amplifier

Philips TSU9400 Pro Series Touch Panel Remote Control

Canton "Ergo" Series speakers

Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers

SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)

APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector

Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator

Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling

Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

See less See more
#2 ·
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) I was thoroughly displeased on how "ghetto" the military was in that movie. It really ruined the movie for me.

Also I think they should have just made a sequel to the original instead. I think that would have been pretty cool

#3 ·
Thanks for the review.

I actually picked this one up a day before your review here. Your review would not have influenced me whether to buy or not in this case.

I saw The Day the Earth Stood Still in the theater and thought it was okay. I had gone in not expecting it to rival or be a retelling/remake of the original 1951 movie.

Haven't as yet watched the 2008 BD movie yet, having just skimmed through some of the chapters for now, but it does look pretty good, and the new movie's bonus features are nice.

My only real caveat to this BD release is that the bonus BD included of the original 1951 classic movie did not have any bonus features itself. Of course, I suppose they'd like to be able to sell the BD TDTESS original that they put out awhile ago. But they could have at least included the trailer of the original 1951 movie and a small featurette on it.

#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCurtis /forum/post/16225473

Thanks for the review.

I actually picked this one up a day before your review here. Your review would not have influenced me whether to buy or not in this case.

I saw The Day the Earth Stood Still in the theater and thought it was okay. I had gone in not expecting it to rival or be a retelling/remake of the original 1951 movie.

Haven't as yet watched the 2008 BD movie yet, having just skimmed through some of the chapters for now, but it does look pretty good, and the new movie's bonus features are nice.

My only real caveat to this BD release is that the bonus BD included of the original 1951 classic movie did not have any bonus features itself. Of course, I suppose they'd like to be able to sell the BD TDTESS original that they put out awhile ago. But they could have at least included the trailer of the original 1951 movie and a small featurette on it.

Hey, it's your money but why would you throw down $20 some dollars on this crappy movie? Haven't you heard of Netflix, Blockbuster, etc? How many times are you gonna watch this, once? Twice? After all, it's not exactly The Godfather. However, I am glad that there are people out there willing to buy hundreds or thousands of BDs. If everyone was smart enough to use Netflix, there would be no incentive for studios to spend the time and money making them.

#7 ·
Ralph,

Good review Ralph and ONCE AGAIN, I concur!

I was most impressed with the black levels and superb shadow detail in the MANY night scenes. The few daytime scenes also featured excellent detail, especially the sweeping views of New York City.

Denny

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts /forum/post/16226530

Greetings,

Too funny Jack!

Regards,

The presence of JC made this a must buy for me as well, and where is Beautiful Mind Blu-ray? (although even she couldn't make buy "Dark Water").

No doubt it's all about the acting.

Why does it seem taken on the whole the older movies tend to be better stories, better writing with less plot holes and obvious storyline issues?

#12 ·
I thought this was a terrible movie. I would give it a 2/5 as well. For a movie with such a big budget and high expectations it sure did fail. It seemed to me like some amateur was trying to remake the Matrix somehow with Reeves as an actor. I also thought that a lot of scenes in this movie were rather on the soft side.

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by butsu /forum/post/16228083

Great review,Ralp.I absolutely agreed with both audio and video quality of this disc,but why did a dvd and a digital copy included?For a bigger money,I quess.

Fox is following in the steps of Disney and want to make sure people will buy it, because their rentals will be only one disc.

Fox will do anything to get more money from people, even if the ethics turn to the sea side.

Bob

#16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordoftherings /forum/post/16229224

Fox is following in the steps of Disney and want to make sure people will buy it, because their rentals will be only one disc.

Fox will do anything to get more money from people, even if the ethics turn to the sea side.

Bob

Same here,both studios are too greedy for money,even such a bad economic depression as these days.
But who can resist not to buy them.

#17 ·
I'd have to rank this one up there as a disappointment. I was really into it during the first half, but the last half was pretty boring and uneventful. I'd probably give it about the same as Ralph....2/5.

Those of you who have seen it, is the original good enough that you'd recommend a viewing? I've never seen it.

#19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordoftherings /forum/post/16229224

Bob

Wow, this Blu-ray is being sold with two movies for the price of one basically and you find something with questionable ethics? Features are included in the version to be purchased that weren't included in the rental version and that is to be questioned? About $80,000,000 was spent to make this film and just breaking even has to be a gigantic challenge so the movie is being sold with the goal of making a profit and being able to continue to make more movies. I just see reasonable and prudent business decisions.

Chris

#21 ·
As a Scifi fan, I'm embarrassed to say I've never seen the original, only a few scenes.

So I liked this movie. It's not for everyone, I would compare it to a two part episode of the 90's Outer Limits, of which I was a huge fan. Hence, I liked this movie. I bought it and look forward to checking out the included BD of the original. And I'm sorry, but everyone disses Keanu's acting, but I like his style. In fact, his generally subtle acting style generally mimics my own real life personality, so I usually see myself very well in the parts he plays.

#22 ·
The first act is excellent, but it falls apart from then on IMO. I agree with Ralph, 2/5...a decent rental if you want to hear some great audio, but don't expect much from the story.

#24 ·
Ralph, I think you are too kind in your review. I thought the first 15 minutes showed real promise then the film steps off a ledge. I would have to think long and hard to remember a child character as irritating as the one played by Jaden Smith and Kathy Bates is miscast and totally wasted in this film. Jennifer Connelly is a good actress but is given little to do, while Keanu Reeves' wooden acting as Klatu was dead-on since he must have sensed the film was going nowhere. Throw in some cheesy special effects and a CGI looking Gort and you have a perfect B movie for a Saturday afternoon matinee. When you find yourself cheering for the aliens to destroy us then there is something seriously wrong with the script.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.