Studio and Year: Tristar/Sony Pictures - 1994
MPAA Rating: PG
Feature running time: 101 Minutes
Genre: Romance/drama

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1.85:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English/French/Portuguese Dolby TrueHD 5.1, Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English, English SDH, Portuguese, Spanish, French
Starring: Nicholas Cage, Bridget Fonda, Rosie Perez, Wendell Pierce, Isaac Hayes, Seymour Cassel, Stanley Tucci, Richard Jenkins, Red Buttons
Directed by: Andrew Bergman
Music by: Carter Burwell
Written by: Jane Anderson
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: May 5, 2009

"A cop. A waitress. A lottery ticket"

Film Synopsis:

Nicolas Cage, Bridget Fonda and Rosie Perez star in this irrepressible romantic comedy inspired by the true story of a humble cop who leaves a two million dollar tip to a hard-luck waitress. Charlie Lang (Cage) is a neighborhood cop with a heart of gold, and a money-hungry wife Muriel (Perez) who's always looking for a way to cash in. When she asks Charlie to buy a lottery ticket, he agrees, then impulsively promises half the winnings to a waitress, Yvonne (Fonda). When their numbers hit, the real fun begins, as Muriel learns to live large while Charlie and Yvonne learn to love again. A captivating comedy laced with whirlwind romance.

My Take:

This is one of my favorite fairytale romance films. This was made at the pinnacle of Bridget Fonda's popularity and as a fan I was interested in it when it came out. The fact that Nicolas Cage was her co-star was a bonus. The film is supposedly based on an actual event but I don't know how much validity there is to that. This isn't the most intriguing plot but the premise is idealistic and it's a feel good story that I find appealing. With the exception of Rosie Perez I love the cast, right down to the supporting players and cameo roles. I have nothing against Rosie as an actress but her voice goes through me like finger nails on a chalkboard. Richard Jenkins and Stanley Tucci are two of my favorite actors and Isaac Hayes is perfect in the role of the narrator/Angel. It's a shame that Bridget Fonda has stopped acting because I miss seeing her on the big screen. It could happen to you is a film about fate, idealism, belief in people and of course romance/love. It doesn't feature exceptional performances or a deep meaning premise but it depicts people and romance in a positive light that offers a nice escape from the cynical world we see every time we turn on the news.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for mild language and one scene of law enforcement action.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 72

• Dynamics:

• Low frequency extension:

• Surround Sound presentation:

• Clarity/Detail:

• Dialogue Reproduction:

Video: 82

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity:

• Black level/Shadow detail:

• Color reproduction:

• Fleshtones:

• Compression:

It could happen you comes to Blu-ray from Sony featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 27 mbps and lossless Dolby TrueHD 5.1 channel audio that has an average bitrate of 1.6 mbps.

The elements in this film rarely afford three dimensional images and lucid textural detail. Filtering was used during filming to give it an intentionally hazy/soft aesthetic and the visible presence of grain further negates the razor sharp, high gloss delineation that we see with many of today's films that are released in high definition. Regardless this is a strong encoding that clearly renders the films elements. Resolution was discerning in most cases with the perception of fine detail being dependent of the camera's perspective. Colors are warm and pleasing with vivid primaries that occasionally pop nicely. Whites are bright and punchy and blacks are fairly deep and stable. I noticed digital noise in a few light backgrounds but it was very minor and didn't infringe upon fidelity. The soundtrack recording showed its age a bit but the Dolby TrueHD multi-channel audio mix maximized its potential. The front three channels carried the bulk of the sound and spread it evenly between them. Imaging was good as dialogue, panning effects and directional spacing was right on target within the soundstage. The surround channels were used sparingly for splashes of ambience that served to broaden the soundstage but rarely generated an enveloping atmosphere. The track sounded a bit dynamically challenged which didn't provide tangible presence to the impact carrying components within the recording. Overall this presentation represents the best that this film has looked and sounded on home video.

Bonus Features:

• (HD) BD Previews - Made of honor & 13 going on 30

• BD-Live enabled

Final Thoughts:

I was happy to see this film come to Blu-ray Disc. It is one of my favorites and is a feel good movie that I like to re-visit from time to time. This high definition presentation from Sony has it looking and sounding better than ever. I was disappointed in its lack of bonus supplements but am still thrilled to add it to my collection. If you're a fan this is a must have.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS20 1080p High Definition Front Projector

Carada Precision Brilliant White 96" Screen

Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)

Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)

Panasonic DMP-BD55K Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)

Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)

Marantz DV7001 Universal Disc Player

Denon AVR 5308CI THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor

Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier

Philips TSU9400 Pro Series Touch Panel Remote Control

Canton "Ergo" Series speakers

Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers

SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)

APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector

Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator

Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling

Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

See less See more
#4 ·
Always had a soft spot for this Fonda vehicle, which came out about the same time as another charmingly smaltzy rom-com, 'Sleepless in Seattle'....will pick this up as a 'companion' BD to the recently released 'Point of No Return' as part of my Bridget homage....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.