Feature running time: 93 Minutes
Genre: Romance/Drama

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.35:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English Dolby TrueHD 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish
Starring: Dustin Hoffman, Emma Thompson, Kathy Baker, James Brolin, Eileen Atkins
Written & Directed by: Joel Hopkins
Music by: Dickon Hinchliffe
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: May 5, 2009

"When it comes to love, is it ever too late to take a chance?"

Film Synopsis:

This is romantic story about two guarded strangers who find a growing connection with one another after a chance encounter in London. The chemistry between the pair inspires them both to believe in second chances as they unexpectedly transform each other's lives.

My Take:

Harvey (Hoffman) is a divorced middle aged man who composes jingles for an advertising company. It is obvious that he loves to compose and is capable of much more but has resigned himself to the fact that using computers to meet the rather simple demands of clients in today's world is what pays the bills. His boss feels that Harvey's work may be a bit passé and that he needs some (unwanted) time off. His daughter Susan is getting married in England and Harvey is going to attend. He hasn't been a big part of her life over the years and their relationship isn't a strong one. His ex-wife Jean remarried years ago to Brian and he has been more of a father to Susan than Harvey. Kate (Thompson) is single, works at the airport in London and lives a rather bland life that revolves around work, her book club classes, and answering the incessant cell phone calls from her lonely mother. Kate dates occasionally but has yet to have anything in common with or an interest in the men she goes out with. She has resided herself to the fact that being alone is better than opening her heart to someone and risking the chance of getting hurt. The two meet when Kate attempts to survey Harvey at the airport after he disembarks from his flight to London. Harvey, being a true New Yorker, rudely blows her off and tells her he isn't interested. They would meet up again. Harvey's arrival for the wedding is met with a bit of apprehension on his part as well as that of Susan. It's obvious that he has seen very little of her, her fiancé and the rest of the family and his presence while appropriate doesn't seem to be genuinely received. The rehearsal dinner doesn't go well and to add fuel to the fire, Harvey gets some bad news from work. He winds up sitting in a bar where he runs into Kate who is having problems of her own. Harvey remembers her and strikes up a conversation. She is initially uninterested but his persistence pays off. They spend some time together and there is an immediate yet unspoken connection/attraction. Harvey takes a gamble and asks her to go with him to the wedding. Both Kate and Harvey have no idea what they are doing and why. They just know that it feels right. Neither of them has been willing to take a chance in life or love lately. Before the weekend is over they will find out if fate has true meaning for them.

Last chance Harvey is simple tale about two people who meet at approximately the same pivotal point in their lives. There are no hidden meanings or distracting subplots. It paints a fairly vivid portrayal of how life can be unpredictable and predictable at the same time. How we sometimes fall into routines that can take over our lives. Sometimes we have to be willing to take emotional risks because otherwise life and/or love will pass us by. I thought the screenplay was okay but it moved a bit too quickly which didn't leave much time to connect with the some of the characters and round out the story's elements. There was more on Harvey than Kate and their time together realistically left little time for any real romantic connection. The film worked in part due to the presence and chemistry between two capable screen veterans in Hoffman and Thompson. I also think that its depiction of the dysfunctional aspects of his relationship with Susan, as well as how it played out during the rehearsal dinner, ceremony and reception were executed very well. Director/writer Joel Hopkins did a credible job. The casting was quite good for a film like this. Outside of Hoffman and Thompson other notables were Kathy Baker, James Brolin, Michael Landes and Richard Schiff who had such a small role that it felt almost like a waste for him. This film provided a great opportunity to see Hoffman and Thompson work together. They both appeared in a film called Stranger than fiction (reviewed here) but they only had a few scenes together. I am not so sure that he is the leading man type but I think that the pairing here worked. The premise isn't very deep but it needn't be. Sometimes less is better.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for brief strong language.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 80

• Dynamics:

• Low frequency extension:

• Surround Sound presentation:

• Clarity/Detail:

• Dialogue Reproduction:

Video: 86

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity:

• Black level/Shadow detail:

• Color reproduction:

• Fleshtones:

• Compression:

Last chance Harvey comes to Blu-ray from Overture Films/Anchor Bay Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 27 mbps and lossless Dolby TrueHD 5.1 channel audio that has an average bitrate of 3.4 mbps.

This a solid video presentation that offers excellent refinement, lucid imagery, and crisp delineation in wide angle/long range camera pans. The color range perfectly sets the film's somber tone and has a reserved aesthetic that rarely offers bright, eye catching hues. Rendering is clean and depth is appropriate. Fleshtones keep pace with the look of the rest of the film and have a balmy but natural texture. Spot on contrast yielded crisp, bright whites and blacks are stable but slightly elevated which leaves them appearing less dynamic and occasionally flat. I didn't see this as a problem based upon the visual style of the film. This is a pristine encoding that showed no obvious signs of video related artifacts or anomalies. The front heavy Dolby TrueHD surround mix features dialogue that is full bodied with defining tonal characteristics and prominent soundstage position. High level detail is readily apparent as subtle sound effects, music and voices were rendered with superior clarity and depth. There is little call for surround activity and extended dynamics however the scenes that take place at the wedding reception open up nicely as the music and acoustics within the large ball room have realistic presence and a punchy low end.

Bonus Features:

• (HD) An unconventional love story: The making of Last chance Harvey - 16 minute featurette

• (HD) Theatrical trailer

• BD-Live enabled

Final Thoughts:

Last chance Harvey is a film that doubles as an interesting character study and somewhat unconventional love story. The leads are skillfully played by acting greats Thompson and Hoffman and while not perfect the plot works pretty well. When all was said and done I found that I rather enjoyed it. Its debut on high definition Blu-ray Disc from Anchor Bay Entertainment looks great. Its lone bonus supplement is a basic making of documentary that features cast/crew interviews and some behind the scenes footage. I would say that this film is easily worth the cost of a rental. If you're a fan then feel free to add this disc to your collection.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS20 1080p High Definition Front Projector

Carada Precision Brilliant White 96" Screen

Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)

Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)

Panasonic DMP-BD55K Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)

Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)

Marantz DV7001 Universal Disc Player

Denon AVR 5308CI THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor

Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier

Philips TSU9400 Pro Series Touch Panel Remote Control

Canton "Ergo" Series speakers

Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers

SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)

APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector

Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator

Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling

Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

See less See more
#2 ·
Awsome movie!!

Dustin Hoffman and Emma Thompson did a good job on this one. Very funny and heart warming movie that we can pretty much all relate to. Definitely a collectors item.

Do you know if this comes with a digital copy Ralph?

Thanks again for the usual review.

Cheers

#3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamE55 /forum/post/16397253

Awsome movie!!

Dustin Hoffman and Emma Thompson did a good job on this one. Very funny and heart warming movie that we can pretty much all relate to. Definitely a collectors item.

Do you know if this comes with a digital copy Ralph?

Thanks again for the usual review.

Cheers

Greetings,

Sorry James, no digital copy...

Regards,

#4 ·
me and my wife really enjoy this movie, great review ralph

#7 ·
I saw Last Chance Harvey on BD today and really liked it. Despite a clunky obvious screenplay, the movie worked for me because of its luminously talented stars, Dustin Hoffman and Emma Thompson. Their charm, charisma and onscreen chemistry made their relationship come alive.

I thought the PQ and AQ were both perfectly serviceable, if not especially memorable. There were a couple of memorable musical set pieces, though that particularly impressed me. One was the piano ballad, which it turns out Hoffman wrote and actually played in the film. The other was a song sung in a park, I'm a Mean, Mean, Mean, Son of of a Gun, sung by a pale, delicate young woman. That appealed to me.

The London exteriors were beautifully shot and consistently interesting. Many of them showed Hoffman and Thompson walking along London streets.

All in all, there's a lot to like in Last Chance Harvey. 7 out of 10 Stars.

#8 ·
Nice review Ralph and you basically hit all of the main points. My wife and I watched tonight and generally enjoyed it in spite of the fact that you can anticipate where the film is going. gwsat's rating of 7 out of 10 is about right. The only problem for me personally was the age difference between the leads, Hoffman is 71 and Thompson just turned 50. They tried hard to make Hoffman look younger and Thompson look frumpy and older but whenever they were on screen together I couldn't keep that fact out of my head. It's a credit to their acting abilities that they make the story work at all. It's certainly worth a rental.

#9 ·
Wife and I watched this last night. Overall, a pretty good film. But, even though Harvey was the main character, I felt there should have been more development of Kate. Still well worth the rental price to watch Hoffman and Thompson strut their stuff, even with the age difference.

#10 ·
I absolutely hated the first 45 minutes. 2 uncomfortable people leading uncomfortable lives interacting badly with uncomfortable situations...and then it changed. The protagonists meet formally for the first time and the movie gains it's legs. Up to this point I was distinctly not feeling good about this film. DH and ET (and the script) then do a creditable job of saving what could have been a disaster. It ended as a fairly uplifting piece. That said, it's a rental at best for me. I was so far underwater on this one that I welcomed the chance to gulp some air during the last half. Had I been exposed to anymore awkwardness, I couldn't have taken anymore.

#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple /forum/post/16435547

I absolutely hated the first 45 minutes. 2 uncomfortable people leading uncomfortable lives interacting badly with uncomfortable situations...and then it changed. The protagonists meet formally for the first time and the movie gains it's legs. Up to this point I was distinctly not feeling good about this film. DH and ET (and the script) then do a creditable job of saving what could have been a disaster. It ended as a fairly uplifting piece. That said, it's a rental at best for me. I was so far underwater on this one that I welcomed the chance to gulp some air during the last half. Had I been exposed to anymore awkwardness, I couldn't have taken anymore.

Ron -- I hear you. In the early part of the film the protagonists were uncomfortable losers who seemed to bring out the worst in each other. Fortunately, the otherworldly talent of Hoffman and Thompson transcended their characters so brilliantly, I ended up liking and rooting for them. By the end of the film they were actually better looking than they had been in the beginning.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.