AVS Forum banner

The Official Pioneer 9G North American KRP-500M / KRP-600M Owner's Discussion Pt. II

762K views 7K replies 673 participants last post by  moggi1964 
#1 ·
#1,403 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn1 /forum/post/17083314

Have you seen turbe's sig? He's got a list of calibrators sorted by which regions they do calibrations. You may find one or more calibrators who serve your area -- in your case, Houston.

David Abrams covers Texas and can calibrate the Patched KRP-M's.

I will have another List Posted eventually showing the Calibrators that can calibrate the Patched KRP-M's ISFccc Interface....

#1,404 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by elite-home /forum/post/17083253

Truth statement: My kids normally hit the hay at 8pm but we always watch a bluray kid's movies starting at 7:30 and then stop it right at 8pm- tonight my 2yr old and 4 yr old talked me into letting them stay up to 9pm to finish Bug's Life.... I am not the world's best dad by no means for giving in- but I did so with a
and with no regrets.... the clarity of the picture was simply amazing. I can't wait for them to get up tomorrow and ask to watch more movies

The kids are going to need 500Ms in their bedrooms now

#1,405 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by elite-home /forum/post/17083215

Kimwyn and Hhaller- I will leave the tech stuff to D-Nice when he gets a chance to send me the reports I will be glad to share as always- I feel he may be better suited to answer the specifics of comparison with the previous 500 settings. Sorry- I know the journey to PQ heaven is hard.

Gotcha, I think I know what you mean...this was your first time seeing ISF modes, correct?

If that is the case, then I fully agree with your assessment. They are a revelation and somewhat spoil your views of what an HDTV should be able to accomplish.

So now we can all go back to lamenting the departure of the Kuros.

#1,406 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by elite-home /forum/post/17083290

Does the 111fd compete with the 500 mono-e-mono? Yes, until the ISF is present on the 500m also
Slowly climbing back on the ledge . . .

Glad to hear your enthusiasm for spending the money on calibrating. In a couple of weeks I should be reporting on another D-Nice calibration. I'm really looking forward to seeing what my 111 can do but I still wonder how much better the 500 can be. Sorry for being a black level OCD patient but when I watch my 111 I'm usually astonished at the picture. Then I think what am I missing if I had a 500 in it's place. I guess I'm still on the fence. I'm hoping I get to see a 500 in person before they run out so I can finally decide if it's worth the trouble.

#1,407 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn1 /forum/post/17083314

Have you seen turbe's sig? He's got a list of calibrators sorted by which regions they do calibrations. You may find one or more calibrators who serve your area -- in your case, Houston.

But if you want the best, then D-Nice is the best. And you'd be willing to wait however long it took for him to come to your area, because it will be worth it.

Does D-Nice do tours? I didn't see that in Turbe's list. Would love for him to visit South Florida. South Beach is beautiful in January. Super Bowl and Pro Bowl are both here this year.

#1,408 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by elite-home /forum/post/17081509

Disclaimer: I have tried very hard to maintain consistency in both my opinions and my postings and at times the written word does not tend to offer the best clarification of a statement and/or comment. I write this because:

Last night I had D-Nice over to my home and after some last minute adjustments, Turbe worked over time to help us upgrade my panels to the highest possible settings available (P-ISF?). The results were jaw-dropping an ah inspiring for me and even my wife. The calibration upgrade of the 500m and 600m were absolutely the best investment I have made ever since I made the purchase of them several months ago.

We tend to give credence to "professionals" whom try hard to impress their opinion on others and in turn sometimes they do so for personal gain and/or competitive degrading. I am guilty of stepping outside my comfort and believing information provided to me when in reality I should have simply stuck with my gut and believe the experts I invited to my home- in addition to my own eyes.

The upgrade of the 600m was first and the results were amazing as the POP on the screen was completely noticeable on both the Day and Night settings... I have always been leery of the benefits of any upgrade- NO LONGER. I can not wait to leave work early and get some viewing time in with my family, even my wife called today to tell me she saw a huge difference in the day settings over the previous Pure.

D-Nice arrived around 8pm and finished the 600 by around 10:30pm or so. I then watched parts of Underworld, Cars, WALL-E, and then I watched all of Underworld: Evolution while he worked on the 500, the pop and the sizzle of the 600 picture made me feel like I was watching it for the first time (after watching it over 200 times minimum), my wife and I are vamp fans and Underworld is our all-time fave.

The 500m he finished around 1am and we moved it back into my MBR and once D left and I grabbed a snack and got ready for bed, I popped in Evolution once more to compare after watching it on the 600 and low and behold I didn't go to bed until after 2am because the 500 was so beautiful and inspiring that I now BELIEVE the panel is and always will be the one panel who rules them ALL- Hands down. Right it down, document it, I will sign a waiver stating I was WRONG WRONG WRONG... the 500m is and was the best of the best. The black was phenomenal and simply breath-taking. I can't gush enough... sorry for strangling the forum but I wanted to express my thoughts about the upgrade, D-Nice, Turbe and the experience in general- rest assured I have no regrets except questioning those whom know these panels better than anyone. Bravo to each of you.

Now wait a second! This COMPLETELY contradicts everything you've been saying for the last....
Just kidding..

Great to see you decided to go with your gut and trust a true pro instead of the so called "pros" and let your eyes ultimitely guide you in order to help you see why some of us prefer these monitors over the other wonderful 9G panels.
And oh yeah, your own words as to why some would, help sum this up pretty well too.

Quote:
Yes, the 500M is a better PQ and black levels are jaw dropping to say the least...
Quote:
the 500M was so beautiful and inspiring that I now BELIEVE the panel is and always will be the one panel who rules them ALL-HANDS DOWN...the 500M is and was the best of the best..the black was phenomenal and simply breath taking..

Hence the reason why I LOVE my 500M and DON'T miss my previous 111FD.

#1,409 ·
That big a difference over the 111?

If the reports were the same across the board I'd be all over a 500. I'm getting the feeling there is a bit of new purchase excitement.

#1,410 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by VidPro /forum/post/17084843

That big a difference over the 111?

Sorry but this is a debate Ive been staying away from for weeks now on this thread or any 9G thread since it's clearly a futile one IMO.

My advice to anyone trying to determine if the differences are "big" enough is, if possible, and I know this is a big IF, see them side by side or at least in someones home. I was lucky enough to see them side by side, both ISF activated and calibrated, and for me the choice was any easy one once the lights were off.

I also consider mysef a black level junkie so the improvement again, was worth it to me and might not be worth it for some. There's no way I wouldve let anyone decide for me, based on their opinions, if I should keep the 111 or get the 500M. I wanted my own eyes to make that decision and as tough as I thought it would be to let the 111 go, it wasnt so tough after finally seeing the 500M.

#1,411 ·
A side by side is not easy to come by so I have to go by the opinions here.

#1,413 ·
Cool. Not trying to be a pain but buying another tv is a hassle and I want to make sure it's worth it. I guess for me if it's a situation where a side by side is the only way to tell then maybe it's not worth it. I'm also thinking any glow I get in a dark seen even if it is better than my 111 is gonna bother me. Someone should send me a new 500 so I can do a side by side.

#1,415 ·
Well I wish they were around too. Would have saved me some cash too.

#1,417 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HofstraJet /forum/post/17084403

Does D-Nice do tours? I didn't see that in Turbe's list. Would love for him to visit South Florida. South Beach is beautiful in January. Super Bowl and Pro Bowl are both here this year.

D-Nice does tours, he's on one now.. he does cover Florida.. Contact him to schedule

#1,418 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by VidPro /forum/post/17085089

Cool. Not trying to be a pain but buying another tv is a hassle and I want to make sure it's worth it. I guess for me if it's a situation where a side by side is the only way to tell then maybe it's not worth it. I'm also thinking any glow I get in a dark seen even if it is better than my 111 is gonna bother me. Someone should send me a new 500 so I can do a side by side.

Well I know what's going to happen. You're finally going to sell your 111FD and decide to get a 500M only to discover all the 500M's are sold and no longer available!
Speaking of 500M, I'll be away from mine for a 1.5 months..sniff.

#1,420 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5150Joker /forum/post/17085490

Well I know what's going to happen. You're finally going to sell your 111FD and decide to get a 500M only to discover all the 500M's are sold and no longer available!
Speaking of 500M, I'll be away from mine for a 1.5 months..sniff.

Thanks. Fear #1 exposed.

I'm going to make a call and see what the inventory seems like.

#1,421 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbe /forum/post/17083772

David Abrams covers Texas and can calibrate the Patched KRP-M's.

I will have another List Posted eventually showing the Calibrators that can calibrate the Patched KRP-M's ISFccc Interface....

Hi Turbe,

Hopefully there is a calibrator that can do this in Southern Ontario, Canada.

Thanks

#1,422 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleeve /forum/post/17085588

Just bought a 600m today, replacing my Samsung pn58b560(buzzing issue)... I can't wait until it arrives! I'll be using the sheet metal tip to mount my monoprice wall mount.

Don't expect the 600M to be silent. My 600M has a buzz and i can hear it up to about 5ft. My audio systems' slight hum and the fan on my PS3 drown it out so I don't feel it is an issue. The picture quality out of the box overcomes this though.

#1,423 ·
OK I'm testing the Craiglist waters and if the right bite takes place and Robert at Value has any in stock I just may pull the trigger. If I can do this as pretty much an exchange it's on.

Wish me luck.

#1,425 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by VidPro /forum/post/17085089

There WILL be a glow, albeit a rather faint one. Anyone who says the KRP-500M is indistinguishable in a pitch black room is lying to you. No HD panel is capable of that as of yet. Please don't purchase a KRP-500M because you think you're going o see some drastic PQ difference between it and your PRO-111FD; the difference is so minimal, its almost negligible. Buy the KRP-500M because you want one on its own merit. I bought my KRP-500M believing all the hype only to discover that it was better, but not "leaps and bounds" better (like some have suggested) than my 5010FD. I bought the KRP-500M because at the time i needed another panel. Spending 2K because one panel is marginally darker than another is not prudent..

#1,426 ·
Thanks. I do understand that but when I bought the 111 I was on a quest for the best. I'm still on that quest I guess and just a tech nerd at heart.

Damn a misspelled word in your quote of my post. Damn iPhone and my fat fingers.

#1,427 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by scanido /forum/post/17085695

Don't expect the 600M to be silent. My 600M has a buzz and i can hear it up to about 5ft. My audio systems' slight hum and the fan on my PS3 drown it out so I don't feel it is an issue. The picture quality out of the box overcomes this though.

That's fine... I can understand a normal plasma buzz, and I understand it's minimalized if you put it into energy saver 2 mode.

My samsung had a very loud, very directional electrostatic buzz that literally shot out of the front of the screen and you could easily hear it 12 feet away.