Feature running time: 115 Minutes
Genre: Romantic comedy

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1.85:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English Dolby TrueHD 5.1, French/Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English, English SDH, French, Portuguese, Spanish
Starring: Kate Hudson, Matthew McConaughey, Adam Goldberg, Michael Michele, Robert Klen, Bebe Neuwirth
Directed by: Donald Petrie
Music by: David Newman
Written by: Kristin Buckley, Brian Regan & Burr Steers based on the book by Michele Alexander & Jeannie Long
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: August 18, 2009

"One of them is lying. So is the other"

Film Synopsis:

As the "How to..." columnist for trendy Composure Magazine, Andie Anderson (Hudson) agrees to write a first-hand account about what it takes to drive a man out of your life...in exactly 10 days. At the same time, eligible ad agency bachelor Benjamin Barry (McConaughey) accepts a high-stakes bet that he can lure any woman into falling head-over-heels in love with him...also in 10 days. The resulting romantic head-on collision ignites a series of deliriously comic deceptions that prove when it comes to true love...your heart cannot tell a lie.

My Take:

As a film fanatic it would be difficult to overlook the seam busting genre that is the chick flick. They come in a wide variety that ranges from drama to thriller with many combinations in between. How to lose a guy in 10 days is a romantic comedy that is based upon a book written by friends Michele Alexander and Jeannie Long. It features a cleverly written yet improbable story about two professional people Andie Anderson (Kate Hudson) and Benjamin Barry (Matthew McConaughy) that are thrown together by happenstance when each enters into a work related scenario designed to test their theories about men and women. In order obtain a high profile advertising account he is determined to show his boss that he can get any woman to fall in love with him in. Andie is writing a magazine article designed to show women how to drive a man out of your life. The result is a series of hysterical situations perpetrated by Andie against Benjamin while he attempts to display staunch dedication, patience and undying devotion to her.

I have to admit that this film won me over the first time I saw it. Hudson and McConaughy are well suited to play these characters and the pairing onscreen works. This isn't meant to be award winning cinema so don't expect Love Story. Early on Andie and Ben come across as two fairly shallow individuals who essentially seek to (unknowingly) use one another in furtherance of their careers. As the story develops that begins to change and becomes more than what either intended. The problem is that the discovery of their initial intentions could very well ruin what has blossomed between them. What I like most is the excellent chemistry between the two leads and the funny, although torturous, lengths that Andie resorts to in order to break down the vigilant Ben (Benny Boo Boo). I have been a Kate Hudson fan since I saw her in Almost Famous. She is a decent actress who exudes charm and sex appeal which can sometimes make her captivating when onscreen. Matthew McConaughy played extremely well off of Hudson's Andie'. His straight man style performance as he dealt with the variety of Andie's over the top antics and relationship threatening gags provided some of the film's best moments. The supporting cast of Adam Goldman, Kathryn Hahn, Bebe Neuwirth, Robert Klein, and Thomas Lennon added credibility and stability to the cast. While not the best romantic comedy I have seen it keeps things light, on track and for genre fans has the requisite drama and formulaic ending that comes with the territory. For me it is a film that I like to revisit from time to time and I am glad to see it come to Blu-ray.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for some sex related material.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 78

• Dynamics:

• Low frequency extension:

• Surround Sound presentation:

• Clarity/Detail:

• Dialogue Reproduction:

Video: 84

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity:

• Black level/Shadow detail:

• Color reproduction:

• Fleshtones:

• Compression:

How to lose a guy in 10 days comes to Blu-ray Disc from Paramount featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 32 mbps and lossless Dolby TrueHD 5.1 channel audio that has an average bitrate of 3.3 mbps.

This is a high bitrate encode that may not be as strong as the best catalog titles I have seen on Blu-ray, but it still makes for a definitive improvement over any previous home video release. High definition detail is notable as images are primarily resolute, with defining close ups and two dimensional depth during long range camera pans. Colors are beautifully rendered with revealing delineation and tonal warmth. This is especially apparent during the colorful sequences shot in Lana's offices. Fleshtones appear descriptive with variable depth that brings out the finest gradations in the differing complexional types among the cast. Blacks are a solid shade of deep black with excellent dynamic range and discernible highlights. Grain is visibly moderate and appears to be well preserved.

The Dolby TrueHD multi-channel soundtrack rendered clear, articulated dialogue that maintained a position of prominence across the front three channels. This is not a film that requires heavy use of surround sound to deliver its message but it does rely on the entire soundstage for proper atmosphere from time to time. The mix is well balanced and reproduces sounds at the right levels and places them appropriately in the sound field's acoustic environment. Detail is excellent which helped attenuate slight environmental cues and augment the subtle texture of voices and recorded sounds. There is no deep bass associated with the sound track but bass response is detectable as it reinforces low level detail in support of the music score.

Bonus Features:

• Commentary by director Donald Petrie

• (HD) How to make a movie in 2 years - 17 minute featurette

• (HD) Why the sexes battle - 5 minute featurette

• (HD) Girls night out - 5 minute featurette

• Music video - Somebody likes you by Keith Urban

• 5 deleted scenes including alternate opening sequences - with optional director commentary

Final Thoughts:

How to lose a guy in 10 days is a light hearted and entertaining romantic comedy that doesn't break new ground but remains lots of fun nevertheless. Its debut in high definition from Paramount doesn't include any Blu-ray Disc exclusive content but technically marks a discernible improvement over the standard definition DVD release. I can't speak for everyone but it's a personal favorite in my house and I am glad to now own it on Blu-ray.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS20 1080p High Definition Front Projector (Calibrated by Jeff Meier)

Carada Precision Brilliant White 96" Screen

Oppo BDP-83 Universal disc/Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)

Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)

Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)

Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)

Denon AVR 5308CI THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor

Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier

Philips TSU9400 Pro Series Touch Panel Remote Control

Canton "Ergo" Series speakers

Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers

SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)

APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector

Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator

Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling

Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

See less See more
#2 ·
Glad to see this one is available on BD now. There are a lot of chick flicks that can make us guys feel nauseous, but this was one that I think we can enjoy and appreciate. It's been a couple years since I last saw this one, but I'm looking forward to checking it out on BD the next time the opportunity presents itself.

Thanks for the review, as always, Ralph!

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Leggs /forum/post/17060272

I thought this one was alright, for what I have seen of it, Kate hudson is hot...

Agreed! Kate Hudson is a younger version of Meg Ryan, too cute not to like her.

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn /forum/post/17063560

She's a younger version of Goldie Hawn
The resemblance is striking

And if I could be the younger version of Kurt Russell, the world would be a much better place...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.