Studio and Year: Touchstone/Disney
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Feature running time: 108 Minutes
Genre: Romantic comedy

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.35:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, French/Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring: Sandra Bullock, Ryan Reynolds, Mary Steenburgen, Craig T. Nelson, Betty White, Malin Akerman, Oscar Nunez
Directed by: Anne Fletcher
Music by: Aaron Zigman
Written by: Peter Chiarelli
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: October 13, 2009

"Here comes the bribe.."

Film Synopsis:

Sandra Bullock is at her funniest in the fresh, laugh-out-loud romantic comedy The Proposal. On the verge of being deported and losing the high-powered job she lives for, the controlling Margaret announces she's engaged to her unsuspecting, put-upon assistant Andrew (Ryan Reynolds). After proposing a few demands of his own, the mismatched couple heads to Alaska where they have four short days to convince his quirky family and a very skeptical immigration agent that their charade is real.

My Take:

Margaret Tate (Sandra Bullock) terrorizes her publishing house co-workers with her abrasive, take-no-prisoners management style, especially her overworked assistant Andrew Paxton (Ryan Reynolds). But when Margaret is threatened with deportation to her native Canada because of an immigration technicality, the quick-thinking exec announces that she and Andrew are engaged to be married. Ambitious Andrew agrees to go along with her schemeif there's a long-awaited promotion in it for him. Everything is going according to Margaret's plan, until an overzealous immigration official makes it his business to prove that the couple's engagement is bogus. To demonstrate her commitment to her new fiancé, Margaret agrees to celebrate the 90th birthday of his colorful grandmother (Betty White) in Alaska. Margaret's type-A personality put her at odds with her eccentric but amiable future in-laws with hilarious consequences, until the Paxtons teach Margaret a thing or two about family.

It can be tough to differentiate between romantic comedies because they pretty much all use the same basic formula. As a fan of the genre I have no problem with that and when trying to evaluate them I look for a decent story, likeable characters, and a well executed ending. The Proposal tends to be a little weak in the early development of its main characters. I would have preferred more of an established connection between Margaret and her ***** on wheels reputation around the office. At the same time this would have provided a basis for Andrew's disdain for her which would have given more of a build up to the events that would follow. I looked forward to seeing both Craig T. Nelson and Mary Steenburgen in this film. Both were underused in the role of Andrew's parents which is a shame. Nelson's character was completely unlikable and is never really given the chance to redeem himself and Steenburgen didn't have enough input to allow you to really formulate an opinion of her. Bullock, Reynolds, Betty White (Grandma Annie), Oscar Nunez (priceless as Ramone!) and Michael Mosley (Chuck) are the catalysts that propel the film's best moments. The story is perfectly suited for a romantic comedy and has enough ups, downs, laughs and romance to be entertaining. The second act has better substance and picks up the slack relative to the establishment of a connection to the two main characters. Margaret reveals a bit of a tender side by offering Andrew an olive branch by opening up a little about her past. Andrew's rocky relationship with his father is briefly touched upon and Gammy Annie (White) adds lots of personality and familial adoration which touches Margaret in a way she never expected.

Knowing romantic comedies it shouldn't be difficult to piece together what transpires for the remainder of the film. I think it rebounded well from its somewhat shallow setup in the opening act and turned into a decent genre flick with a requisite but satisfying ending.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for sexual content, brief nudity, and language.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 82

• Dynamics:

• Low frequency extension:

• Surround Sound presentation:

• Clarity/Detail:

• Dialogue Reproduction:

Video: 88

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity:

• Black level/Shadow detail:

• Color reproduction:

• Fleshtones:

• Compression:

The Proposal comes to Blu-ray Disc from Touchstone/Disney featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 24 mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio that has an average bitrate of 3.3 mbps.

A variety of colors are effectively used in this film to help set the tone/setting based upon the mood of the scene and characters within it. The rustic cinematography is beautiful shot. Colors can range from being reserved and inanimate to noticeably vivid with warmer vitality. Skin tones varied as some complexions were more natural looking than others but overall representation offered lifelike depiction. Images onscreen were exquisitely detailed and sharp with excellent depth of field and visible texture. This was regardless of the cameras of perspective. Contrast was spot on with deep blacks and shadow delineation that provided discernible perceptibility during scenes shot in low/uneven lighting. This presentation had a clean, pristine quality that enhanced dimensionality and provided the looking through a window effect.

I applaud Disney for their continued support of lossless DTS-HD Master Audio soundtracks on their Blu-ray releases. This isn't the type of film that requires extended dynamic range, frequent surround use or deep bass but it certainly benefited from lossless audio's higher fidelity. The front heavy sound mix features dialogue that is full bodied with defining tonal characteristics and prominent soundstage position. High level detail is readily apparent as subtle sound effects, music and voices are rendered with superior clarity and depth. There is little call for discrete surround activity however the film's music utilized the entire soundstage to provide a satisfying sense of dimension.

Bonus Features:

• Audio commentary with director Anne Fletcher and writer Peter Chiarelli

• (HD) 3 deleted scenes with optional commentary

• (HD) Alternate ending with option commentary

• (HD) Set antics: Outtakes and other absurdities from The Proposal - 6 minutes

• Digital Copy Bonus Disc - A standard definition version of the film that can be downloaded from a compatible PC/Mac to a portable media playback device.

Final Thoughts:

I enjoyed The Proposal. It started off a little shaky but came together nicely to turn into an entertaining genre film that offers solid turns by its two stars as well as welcomed supporting roles by screen veteran Betty White and Oscar Nunez (From TV's The Office). Its release on high definition Blu-ray Disc from Disney is technically sound with excellent video and good lossless sound quality. The bonus features don't offer anything of real interest but the outtakes and other absurdity piece is fun to watch and the addition of a Digital Copy is always appreciated. If you're in the mood for a romantic comedy on date night throw this in the queue.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS20 1080p High Definition Front Projector (Calibrated by Jeff Meier)

Carada Precision Brilliant White 96" Screen

Anthem AVM50v THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor

Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier

Oppo BDP-83 Universal disc/Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)

Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)

Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)

Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)

Philips TSU9400 Pro Series Touch Panel Remote Control

Canton "Ergo" Series speakers

Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers

SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)

APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector

Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator

Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling

Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

See less See more
#9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summa /forum/post/17317770

lol butsu....

So three stars for this one Ralph?? Wow, I was going to avoid it but maybe I'll check it out. Usually I'm in almost perfect agreement with you on your ratings, so I'm gonna move it up for next week

Great review!

Greetings,

Sounds good Summa. Post back with your impressions.

Regards,

#12 ·
How anyone can say this is a 'good' movie is beyond me.. I would say it's 'ok' for the genre

Bullock was completely miscast in this role, she is not convincing as a hard nosed business women.. and Reynolds neither as a push over wuss of an assistant, the guy has just way too much charisma for that

The race to the end was hugely rushed, making myself constantly ask.. wtf? Did I miss something? How did this all of a sudden happen? He loves her.. because...? She loves him.. because.. ? Why is he not with so-and-so instead which they kept hinting towards?

Because they saw each other naked, kissed *once*, and later sang 'It Takes Two'.. match made in heaven!

#14 ·
My wife and I saw this movie on a cross country flight recently. It was free and there was nothing else to do, once the peanuts were gone.

Given the lack of other activities, neither of us could make it past the 1/2 way point of this stink bomb. The whole thing was bad - from casting to acting to plot line.

Sandra must be getting script advise from her husband.

#15 ·
Well, this is probably the first time I'm gonna depart from Ralph just a little...I just finished watching it, and I didn't like it quite as much as Ralph did. I just didn't find myself all that engaged with the story, which I expected to be funnier. The only time I really laughed was during the end credits when the guy from The Office was being interviewed by the government guy. I did enjoy seeing Betty White, though

I'd probably give this one 2/5 stars.

#16 ·
This was a funny and enjoyable movie with really impressive dead pan performances by a truly gifted cast. There hasn't been a lot of really good movies this year, so this is one to keep and entertain the family over the holidays. It's the first time I've really enjoyed Ryan Reynolds and the scenes where he and Sandra Bullock start to like each other unintentionally are quite nice. Sandra Bullock is not fat. She just looks like a real and lovely woman. The excellent Disney transfer does her and the movie justice.

#17 ·
Anybody that can sit through this film should get a complimentary copy on the way out of the theater.

Those who can't stomach the entire thing should get their ticket price refunded, and maybe their snack purchase too - if the film made them lose their lunch while trying to stomach the smart acting and sharp dialog.

#18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by butsu /forum/post/17317000

Another nice film of Sandra Bullock,the nude scene was very hilarious but she was fatty now in this film.

Fatty? Well, in the interest of being an articulate reviewer who is a slave to detail, I took it upon myself to go back and review this nude scene, oh, maybe 30 or 40 times (I can do that, I'm single). My indisputable conclusion is that she is not fatty. I could see no fat, anywhere. Keep in mind, I think she is now in her late 40's and, add the detail of BD, I'd rate her as definitely "reference" quality.

I do agree she was a bit miscast. She just can't seem to be a mean *****. The Proposal was not as good as While You Where Sleeping and Miss Congeniality, but was worth the $20.00., IMHO.

#22 ·
hi Ralph

thank you for the review, i like this movie a lot.

I live in Asia and i like to import Bluray Disc from the US

especially those discs that come with my language subtitle.

Anyway, can you do me a favor? Next time when you review a movie.

For the subtitles and audio details, could you please check them when you watch a movie. Because sometimes some subtitles are not listed on the cover.

This movie for example, there are more subtitles, not only English SDH, French, Spanish...............

Sorry for my English,

Thank you so much.

#23 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markoto /forum/post/17694767

hi Ralph

thank you for the review, i like this movie a lot.

I live in Asia and i like to import Bluray Disc from the US

especially those discs that come with my language subtitle.

Anyway, can you do me a favor? Next time when you review a movie.

For the subtitles and audio details, could you please check them when you watch a movie. Because sometimes some subtitles are not listed on the cover.

This movie for example, there are more subtitles, not only English SDH, French, Spanish...............

Sorry for my English,

Thank you so much.

Greetings,

I will keep that in mind Markoto. Welcome to AVS.

By the way, your english is just fine...

Regards,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.