Studio and Year: Columbia/Sony - 1969
MPAA Rating: R
Feature running time: 95 minutes
Genre: Drama

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1.85:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English/French/Portuguese Dolby TrueHD 5.1, Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1, English Dolby Mono (Original)
Subtitles: English, English SDH, French, Portuguese, Spanish
Starring: Peter Fonda, Dennis Hopper, Jack Nicholson, Karen Black, Phil Spector
Directed by: Dennis Hopper
Music by: Various
Written by: Peter Fonda, Dennis Hopper, Terry Southern
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: October 20, 2009

"A man went looking for America. And couldn’t find it anywhere..."

Film Synopsis:

Experience the real '60s counterculture in this compelling mixture of drugs, sex and armchair politics. Academy Award®-winner Jack Nicholson (Best Actor, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, 1975; Best Supporting Actor, Terms of Endearment, 1983; Best Actor, As Good As It Gets, 1997) stars with Peter Fonda and Dennis Hopper (who also directs) in this unconventional classic which Time Magazine hails as "one of the ten most important pictures of the decade." Nominated for an Academy Award® (1969) for Best Original Screenplay (written by Peter Fonda, Dennis Hopper and Terry Southern), EASY RIDER continues to touch a chord with fans everywhere.

My Take:

Easy rider is considered to be a classic film that at the time of its release delivered a message from a generation of young people that needed a voice. The anti-establishment/counterculture during the time pervades the film’s theme as it speaks to stereo typical treatment of those who wanted to express themselves. Wyatt/Captain America (Fonda) and Billy (Hopper) are a couple of retired drug dealers that decide to motorcycle from Los Angeles to the Mardi Gras in New Orleans Louisiana (with plans to settle in Florida). On their journey they encounter a variety of people and experiences. These include a hard working rancher and his large family, a hippie commune, an arrest for “parading with a permit”, encountering small town prejudice/violence, and dropping acid with two southern hookers at Mardi Gras. While incarcerated they meet up with a young lawyer named George (Nicholson) who is having an identity crisis of sorts as he attempts to conform to his parent’s image of who he should be. George decides to tag along with plans to take Wyatt and Billy to a high profile brothel located in New Orleans. George discovers that freedom can be found on the back of a motorcycle and a destiny unknown. The film depicts the fear, misunderstanding and treatment of countercultural types as well as ushering in a differing Hollywood perspective on films about the youth of the day. This was also the first film to eschew use of a music score in favor of using popular music as a background. To quote the text from the graphic booklet that comes with the Blu-ray disc “While most films are enhanced by their soundtracks, some come to be defined by them.” The film used music performed by Steppenwolf, The Bryds, The Band, Jimi Hendrix, Fraternity of man, Roger McGuinn and more. There is no question that this film’s music epitomized its generational message.

Writer/director/actor Dennis Hopper and writer/producer Peter Fonda’s vision is aptly conveyed through use of straight forward storytelling, visual stimulation and honest conviction. Is this a movie about motorcycles, sex, and drugs? You bet, but it is more than that. It came at a time when Hollywood’s portrayal of youth was relegated to frolicking, cutesy actors, singing and dancing on the beach without a care in the world. Young people who strove to make a statement that went against the societal perception of “be seen and not heard” saw this classic piece of American cinema as their voice and perfectly timed for those Born to be wild.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for pervasive drug use, violence, language and sexuality/brief nudity.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 76

• Dynamics:

• Low frequency extension:

• Surround Sound presentation:

• Clarity/Detail:

• Dialogue Reproduction:

Video: 84

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity:

• Black level/Shadow detail:

• Color reproduction:

• Fleshtones:

• Compression:

Easy rider comes to Blu-ray from Sony featuring 1080p AVC encoded video with an average bitrate of 27 mbps and lossless Dolby TrueHD 5.1 audio with an average bitrate of 2.4 mbps.

Sony has consistently released their catalog titles in high definition on Blu-ray with great looking video quality and this release is no exception. From the film’s opening moments it was clear that this had lots of potential. Detail is excellent for a 40 plus year old film. Minute detail was rendered articulately as were the characteristic structure of objects and landscapes onscreen. This provided visuals that appeared clearly defined and dimensionally proportional. Any fluctuations in apparent resolution were innate to the original photography. The beautiful sequences filmed against the wide angle shots of the mountainous/rock formed backdrops looked excellent in high definition. I was pleasantly surprised at how well details in dark areas were rendered. There are a few sequences that are shot in low light with only the dusk sky/moon as the light source. I was able to discern the various shapes and outlines within the dark segments of the clothing worn by cast and the outlining areas. Colors appeared vivid and tonally pleasing with eye catching primaries that looked great. Grain is pervasive throughout and appears consistently textured and natural. The only noticeable variation takes place in the Mardi Gras/acid trip sequences which were intentionally shot with an overexposed/dynamically contrasted and granular aesthetic. I didn’t notice any signs of digital noise reduction or compression related artifacts.

The Dolby TrueHD soundtrack had no trouble handling the film’s recorded elements. The front three channels (primary focused on the center channel) carried the majority of the film’s audio. I never had a problem understanding dialogue or hearing sounds or effects as the presentation exhibited notable clarity, channel separation and dimension. This was especially obvious during the sequences featuring the film’s superlative music as it tool center stage. It almost seemed as though the score utilized a separate sound mix as it sounded airy, detailed, and dynamic. It was spread across the front three channels with light ambience bled to the surrounds. There was a noticeable difference when the film switched from a sequence involving music back to those without. The dated aspects of the recording were apparent but it sounded fine. There was no deep LFE mixed to the subwoofer however bass contained within the track accentuated its dynamic elements and music.

Bonus Features:

• This title includes Sony’s Movie IQ features which requires a BD-Live connection and allows fans the option of viewing continuously updated details on the cast and crew and to explore relevant trivia such as production facts, music, and soundtrack information which are tied into scenes in the movie. This can be turned on or off and is activated by the press of a button on your player’s remote.

• Audio commentary with Dennis Hopper

• Easy rider: “Shaking the cage” documentary film by Charles Kiselyak – 65 minutes

• BD-Live enabled

• (HD) BD Previews:

1. The DaVinci Code extended cut
    2. Close encounters of the third kind
    3. Ghostbusters
    4. A river runs through it
    5. Blood: the last vampire
    6. Moon
    7. Tyson
  • Comes packaged in a 35 page book with photos, talent files, production background and more

Final Thoughts:

Easy rider is a classic cinematic work that many of its generation identify with. It didn’t make use of a high budget or star studded cast but instead spoke volumes with its humanization of counterculture, candid/nonjudgmental depiction of drug use and open sexual expression. For later generations it probably feels less relevant however its impact as a cinematic work is still significant even today. Sony appears to have faithfully preserved the film’s original elements in this excellent high definition rendering that looks and sounds great. The bonus supplements include an entertaining and informative documentary that provides background on the production from a soup to nuts perspective as told through interviews with the cast and crew. MovieIQ functionality and BD-Live access round out a strong Blu-ray Disc catalog offering from Sony that comes highly recommended.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS20 1080p High Definition Front Projector (Calibrated by Jeff Meier)

Carada Precision Brilliant White 96" Screen

Anthem AVM50v THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor

Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier

Oppo BDP-83 Universal disc/Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)

Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)

Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)

Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)

Philips TSU9400 Pro Series Touch Panel Remote Control

Canton "Ergo" Series speakers

Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers

SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)

APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector

Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator

Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling

Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

See less See more
#5 ·
This is definately not a "safe" blind buy. Many people find this movie slow and pointless. I would rather watch this film a 100 times than watch Transformers Revenge.... a second time but that's just me. Like you Ralph, I was impressed with the pq and aq of those classic songs.

#6 ·
Never seen it prior. I enjoyed it... But it was a bit long and on the dull side throughout. With many great songs with the duo on the road - like a string of music videos - things seemed a bit prolonged without any dialog or story. The cinematography was great but the whole story was essentially the last 15 minutes. Great soundtrack! All said, I enjoyed it but would never likely sit through it again.

#9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by R o d /forum/post/17433375

" ... freedom can be found on the back of a motorcycle and a destiny unknown." What a great line, Ralph.

I didn't realized ER was the first film to opt for a soundtrack of popular music instead of an original score. Thanks for that.

Greetings,

Thanks Rod and you're more than welcome..

Regards,

#13 ·
Peter Fonda was in several films in the sixties prior to "Easy Rider." He was in fluff like "Tammy And The Doctor," war films like "The Victors" and even rode a motorcycle in Roger Corman's "The Wild Angels." Corman also directed Fonda in "The Trip," which was written by Jack Nicholson! Dennis Hopper is one of the greatest survivors in Hollywood history. I hope he gets through his prostrate cancer and returns to health and more terrific performances. Fonda has reminded me of his father, Henry, in recent years with his standout acting in films like "3:10 To Yuma." It's great to see a Blu-Ray of a film that was a cultural milestone and a turning point in three great stars' careers. It may seem slow to people who grew up with MTV and video games, but Ralph's review is dead on!

#14 ·
If Jack Nicholson, Dennis Hopper, Peter Fonda, are not a star studded cast, I'm not sure one exists. Of course, their individual reputations either started or got a big boost by the popularity of this film, but were known quantities - especially Hopper.

Heck, even a cameo by Phil Spector didn't hurt with the face recognition by the target audience.

The music was the real star of this film when it was released. Here there was "star power" in the sound track. Of course, most of the "stars" of the music world of that era have ceased to become influences.

Jack Nicholson is the true gem in this movie. You get the first real view of what he can do with a character - even a relatively minor one. He is the only actor in the film that wouldn't list this as one of his shining career achievements.

Neither Hopper nor Fonda have hit critical "Gold" of this magnitude since. The closest either of them came was Fonda in "Ulee's Gold" where he did an impersonation of his father, and got rewarded with Hollywood recognition (for either his acting, or those remembering his Father - not sure).

If you were around and saw this film when it origninally came out, it is well worth a second look. Like most older films on Blu Ray, it will probably look and sound much better than when you saw it in the theater.

If you've never experienced the film, expect a piece of the 60's culture. It is not Gone With The Wind, or The Godfather.

At the time it was released, Easy Rider got as much acclaim for being a somewhat coherent snapshot of the time, made by two stoned guys with little or no script, as anything.

#16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filmmaker /forum/post/17456158

Mmm, though I share your affections for EASY RIDER, I think he at least matched the critical bar he set here, and arguably surpassed it, with his portrayal of Frank in BLUE VELVET.

Question is whether Dennis Hopper playing a crazy bizarre guy is acting for him.

#19 ·
I'd actually suggest the score to be a little higher than 80 myself (especially since Gladiator got an 81). I really don't think you can restore this film any better. This is a phenomenal transfer that is pure, raw, film without and DNR or EE.

Audio is phenomenal too. Check out the beginning scenes with the airplane flying over and such (you really feel a supersonic wave with the lossless track, which is awesome for a film this age). The music is crisp and clear all throughout.

Movie goes quite well with physchadelics too
Considered by me to be one of the greatest American culture films of the 60s, and I'm only 24 (way before my time).

Peter Fonda is an absolute bad-ass in my opinion. He's just so suave and cool in this movie. I enjoy him in "Futureworld" as well.

#20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvine2000 /forum/post/17433373

you had to be there,times were different .

Yeah, having lived it and been there, there are some parts that are silly cornball nonsense, but the majority of the film brings back floods of memories, stuff that i can still feel, the vibration of the bike, sitting down and hanging out with a few friends....times and a mood about life where using something like a bike to live rather where one gets a bike and possessions to be in style, substituting stuff for living.......

and if Gladiator transfer got an 81, this movie transfer deserves a 91

#24 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts /forum/post/18045027

Greetings,

Technically, the video scored an 84. If you read my comments they do offer a description of my impressions of the quality of this presentation.

Regards,

Okay, u r right, but i still give Easy a 91, comparatively speaking to Gladieater.....

The choice of music was great, but the sound repoduction is not that great as you noted,.....

#26 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 704set /forum/post/18767342

Didn't "The Graduate" do this?

Skip

No, Mr. Potts is correct, indeed for his role in Ms. Robinson, Paul Simon received a grammy for best original score written for a movie....and it has background music.

Easy Rider only has its rock music written not for a movie, along with the best movie music of all, the rumbling and roar of a pair of Harley V-twins...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.