Studio and Year: 20th Century Fox - 2009
MPAA Rating: R/Unrated
Feature running time: 102/107 minutes
Genre: Horror

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1.85:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, Spanish/French/Portuguese Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, Mandarin, Spanish, Portuguese, Cantonese, Thai
Starring: Megan Fox, Amanda Seyfried, Johnny Simmons, J.K Simmons, Adam Brody, Amy Sedaris
Directed by: Karyn Kusama
Music by: Theodore Shapiro & Stephen Barton
Written by: Diablo Cody
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: December 29, 2009

"She's eviland not just high school evil"

Film Synopsis:

In every school there's one girl, every girl wants to be friends withand every guy would die for. Jennifer is a gorgeous, seductive cheerleader who takes evil to a whole new level after she's possessed by a sinister demon. Steamy action and gore galore ensue as the male student body succumbs to Jennifer's insatiable appetite for human flesh. Now it's up to her best friend to stop the demonic diva's reign of terror before it's too late!

My Take:

Jennifer is your resident high school hottie, cheerleader, and teenage boy's wet dream. Needy Lesnicky is more of the reserved, intelligent and slightly nerdy type that wouldn't normally fit in with Jennifer's archetype however the two have been best friends since childhood. Jennifer's hasn't been the most supportive best friend and it is clearly obvious that Needy puts forth most of the effort to keep the friendship in balance. Aside from Jennifer the other person in Needy's life is her genuinely nice guy boyfriend Chip. Chip is probably the only boy in school that has shown zero interest in Jennifer and can see through Needy's plain Jane exterior to the gem that lies beneath. Attention seeking Jennifer makes the mistake of going off alone (against Needy's advice) with a local rock band one night after their concert. The group, believing she is a virgin, sacrifices her to Satan with the belief that doing so will help secure them a record deal. The problem is that she fibbed to them and isn't a virgin. Rather than dying during the offering Jennifer becomes possessed by a rather nasty flesh eating demon. Using her alluring looks and popularity she targets boys and makes meals out of them. When Needy discovers the truth she confronts Jennifer who confides to her that she is better off now than before and feels that eating boys is no big deal since they are just placeholders that come and go'. Unsure of what to do Needy initially does nothing. When Jennifer sets her sights on Chip Needy is compelled to act. The question is will she be able to stop the enticing succubus and put an end to her ravenous reign of terror?

Jennifer's body is Oscar winning screenwriter Diablo Cody's follow up to her excellent teen dramedy Juno. I find her alternative and eclectic use of expression to be witty and descriptively on target. This is a bit of an offbeat horror film built around high school teen girls and a plot that really speaks to adolescent envy/jealousy between lifelong friends. While its horror elements are decidedly pronounced it's the undertones of peer pressure, covetousness and teen strife that elevate it from standard fare screams and gore. Although it isn't particularly frightening there is enough carnage to qualify it as a genre film. Megan Fox is nice to look at but she isn't especially engaging as an actor. Amanda Seyfried on the other hand literally stole every scene they had together. I think the script/screenplay enable this film to rise above the more typical teen scream films of today. When all was said and done I liked it more than expected. Fox has included both the theatrical and unrated extended versions of the film on this BD-50 dual layered Blu-ray Disc. The extended cut which I watched during my review adds about 5 minutes to the theatrical runtime. This being my first experience with it I couldn't say which I preferred but I didn't feel the extended version needed to be shorter.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for sexuality, bloody violence, language, and drug use.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 88

• Dynamics:

• Low frequency extension:

• Surround Sound presentation:

• Clarity/Detail:

• Dialogue Reproduction:

Video: 92

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity:

• Black level/Shadow detail:

• Color reproduction:

• Fleshtones:

• Compression:

Jennifer's body comes to Blu-ray Disc from Fox featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 28 mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.8 mbps.

This was an impressive audio presentation that delivered well articulated and dynamic sound. This was not a highly active surround mix but it did make good use of the entire surround platform to elevate the film's level of suspense and anticipation. The front three channels carried the bulk of the soundtracks dynamic elements and they hit hard with ostensible potency. The low frequency effects used to drive some of these scenes had excellent bass extension and tactility. Sound effects were realistic sounding with diverse characteristics and powerful impact. Dialogue was crystal clear with affirming intonation that made even subtle changes in pitch detectable. The video had a transparent quality with excellent refinement and crisp definition. The nature of the photography lent itself to vivid and high glossy visuals which at times made it appear distinctly vibrant and eye catching. Colors were rich and delineated which highlighted bright and deeply saturated hues. Contrast was boosted which gave the video a very dynamic overtone which never infringed upon fidelity. Black levels were excellent which gave dark scenes as well as lighter ones containing mixed content plenty of depth and punchy contrast. Shadow delineation was every bit as good which provided the dark and murky interior and dimly lit nighttime exterior sequences with superb depth of field and visible background detail. Images on screen looked detailed, lucid, and sharp with noticeably defined texture and exquisite resolution. This was applicable to long distant and panning shots also as they appeared three dimensional with an almost unimpeded perspective. This was an excellent overall audio/video presentation that looks and sound great .

Bonus Features:

• Theatrical and extended versions of the film

• Commentary by director Karyn Kusama and writer Diablo Cody (Theatrical version only)

• Commentary by director Karyn Kusama (extended version only)

• Gag reel - 5 minutes

• (HD) Jernnifers body: The dead pool - 14 minute look behind the scenes

• (HD) Video diaries - 4 segments featuring members of the cast/crew

• (HD) Megan Fox is hot - 1 minute short featuring clips from the film

• Megan Fox - Public service announcement on peer pressure

• Fox Movie Channel presents - Life after film school with writer Diablo Cody

• (HD) Trailers: (500) Days of Summer, Something, something, something, Dark Side, Wrong turn 3: Left for dead

• Digital Copy Bonus Disc

Final Thoughts:

Jennifer's body probably won't appeal to genre fans expecting a bonafide horror film and all that it entails. That shouldn't be construed to mean it is without merit because it does offer an interesting take on the teen scream theme and I found it to be a decent watch. Fox's high definition presentation on Blu-ray Disc sweetens the deal with reference quality video and involving lossless sound. The bonus feature content is a mixed bag which is highlighted by two audio commentary tracks and an average behind the scenes documentary. I wouldn't define this as a must own however I do recommend that you toss it in your rental queue and take it for a spin.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS20 1080p High Definition Front Projector (Calibrated by Jeff Meier)

Carada Precision Brilliant White 96" Screen

Anthem AVM50v THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor

Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier

Oppo BDP-83 Universal disc/Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)

Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)

Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)

Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)

Philips TSU9400 Pro Series Touch Panel Remote Control

Canton "Ergo" Series speakers

Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers

SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)

APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector

Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator

Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling

Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

See less See more
#2 ·
Wow, three stars, eh Ralph? I was going to pass on this one, but since my taste is so similar to your own, I may give this one a look. Not like I need any more of an excuse than the lovely Ms. Fox, but if the movie is entertaining on top of it, all the better!

BTW, Happy Belated New Year to you! Look forward to another great year of your excellent reviews!

#3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summa /forum/post/17847463

Wow, three stars, eh Ralph? I was going to pass on this one, but since my taste is so similar to your own, I may give this one a look. Not like I need any more of an excuse than the lovely Ms. Fox, but if the movie is entertaining on top of it, all the better!

BTW, Happy Belated New Year to you! Look forward to another great year of your excellent reviews!

Greetings,

Same to you Summa..

Regards,

#4 ·
i actually kind of loved this movie. I thought it was funny, and at times a little creepy.

And you know what? Megan Fox was actually GOOD in the movie.

I would have liked a bit more gore and more nudity though (hey, horror movies need that!)

I think if you like the quirk of Juno, and the silly-horror of something like Slither.....you'll probably enjoy the movie

#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by spivonious /forum/post/17852554

I disagree. Too skinny and skanky for me. Is the movie still entertaining?

If you read Ralph's review, or any of the other member's who offered their opinions....you'd know that they liked the movie itself.

Although if you go into it just hating on Megan Fox, maybe you're the type who can't get passed his own prejudices?

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormshadow4life /forum/post/17852740

If you read Ralph's review, or any of the other member's who offered their opinions....you'd know that they liked the movie itself.

Although if you go into it just hating on Megan Fox, maybe you're the type who can't get passed his own prejudices?

Prejudice? Yes I'm a skankist.

I did read the review and the other posts.
  • Jennifer is a gorgeous, seductive cheerleader
  • Steamy action
  • high school hottie, cheerleader, and teenage boy's wet dream
  • Megan Fox is nice to look at
  • Not like I need any more of an excuse than the lovely Ms. Fox
  • The movie or Megan Fox?
  • thats one good looking lady
  • Megan Foxwas a bonus

#13 ·
Sounds like selective reading to me sir....

- Ralph: it does offer an interesting take on the teen scream theme and I found it to be a decent watch. Fox's high definition presentation on Blu-ray Disc sweetens the deal with reference quality video and involving lossless sound

- Me: i actually kind of loved this movie. I thought it was funny, and at times a little creepy.

And you know what? Megan Fox was actually GOOD in the movie. (edit, I dont have a hard-on for her)

- JamE55: Actually enjoyed this movie and Megan Fox and Amanda Seyfried was a bonus. (edit, a bonus, as in...the movie was already good)

so only 3 people saw, all 3 liked it as a movie (regardless of Megan Fox from what I can tell)

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by spivonious /forum/post/17852789

Prejudice? Yes I'm a skankist.

I did read the review and the other posts.
  • Jennifer is a gorgeous, seductive cheerleader
  • Steamy action
  • high school hottie, cheerleader, and teenage boy's wet dream
  • Megan Fox is nice to look at
  • Not like I need any more of an excuse than the lovely Ms. Fox
  • The movie or Megan Fox?
  • thats one good looking lady
  • Megan Foxwas a bonus

Greetings,

You have actually taken my comments out of context as they pertain to the film and not my opinion of Megan Fox. Here is a quote from the second paragraph of My Take that should sum things up for you:

" While its horror elements are decidedly pronounced it's the undertones of peer pressure, covetousness and teen strife that elevate it from standard fare screams and gore. Although it isn't particularly frightening there is enough carnage to qualify it as a genre film. Megan Fox is nice to look at but she isn't especially engaging as an actor. Amanda Seyfried on the other hand literally stole every scene they had together. I think the script/screenplay enable this film to rise above the more typical teen scream films of today. When all was said and done I liked it more than expected."

Regards,

#15 ·
I also enjoyed this movie.

I'm not a big fan of Megan's acting abilities but she did do a good job in this role.

Megan is definitely a looker IMO, even if her acting abilities are in question.

Amanda is also a babe even though they managed for the most part to keep her looking like a plain Jane.

The only thing I think of that would have possibly improved this film is if they played up some more of the comedic moments.

All in all it was a fun and entertaining rental.

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormshadow4life /forum/post/17852860

Sounds like selective reading to me sir....

- Ralph: it does offer an interesting take on the teen scream theme and I found it to be a decent watch. Fox's high definition presentation on Blu-ray Disc sweetens the deal with reference quality video and involving lossless sound

- Me: i actually kind of loved this movie. I thought it was funny, and at times a little creepy.

And you know what? Megan Fox was actually GOOD in the movie. (edit, I dont have a hard-on for her)

- JamE55: Actually enjoyed this movie and Megan Fox and Amanda Seyfried was a bonus. (edit, a bonus, as in...the movie was already good)

so only 3 people saw, all 3 liked it as a movie (regardless of Megan Fox from what I can tell)

Wanted to elaborate more on this.

Yes the movie was great because from watching the trailer it made it more interesting on how Megan became a flesh eating demon/monster. As the story unfolded the story made much more sense(obviously) and that was the entertaining part for me. And again the scene between Megan and Amanda was a bonus.

Am glad the Video part received a score of 92 because the night scenes tend to have a lot if not some "noise" which i really hate.

#19 ·
I think that quote mr. Potts gave will also apply to me. The picture quallity looks fine, Megan Fox looks fineeeee and the story seems like its decent which should proof according to some sources to be better then avarage so I'll check it out in the future. I'll wait for the price to drop a bit. Still got a 350+ wishlist at amazon (dvd's mostly).

#20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by spivonious /forum/post/17852255

I may be in the minority, but Megan Fox just has no appeal for me. Is the movie still worth watching?

I agree as well! She's pretty yes. But soooooo vastly over rated for her looks! There are so many other beautiful actresses that just blow her away.

I just watched this and it is worth watching overall. Thought it was a tad to long though.

#22 ·
I'm another guy who thinks Megan Fox is just weird looking and had no interest in watching this movie. Quite honestly I read the review only to kill some time before the Samsung Press Event at CES and after reading the review, I'm going to give this movie a rental if it's ever going to be for rent in HD on AppleTV.

#23 ·
Megan is hot but you don't ever really see Jennifer's body. I was dissappointed. I'll have to watch it again with lower expectations.

#25 ·
I just got the bluray from ebay (it is'nt available new from Amazon, so I'm guessing currently OOP?). PQ was fine. I liked it, I'm more of a fan of Amanda Seyfried than Megan Fox, both do a good job with their roles, the film manages to be funny, gory and sexy all at the same time- the makings of a cult movie.

#26 ·
Wasn't but now, much late in the game I realize, am considering "giving it a spin"! Thanks for the positive review, Ralph!

Re Megan Fox, she CAN be really hot (Transformers -- great movie overall IMO) and then cluelessly not (Transformers 2 -- bad movie overall IMO), so it's not like I am overly-infatuated or anything, but I DO see the potential sex appeal in this babe. There are some pretty horrendous pics of Anne Hathaway, e.g., but I think she is "artistically" sexy in Dark Knight Rises!!!

Yes, there are soooo many other more beautiful celebrities out there, I do agree, but it's always about how well cinematography manages to bring it out of actresses in the end. Great to know she does a good job in this one, i.e. the production team at bringing it out of her!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.