AVS Forum banner

Which Local Dimming LED LCD to get? (VF551XVT vs 55SV670U)

7K views 24 replies 13 participants last post by  aznphatb0i 
#1 ·
Hello-

I'm in the market for a 55"+ local dimming LED LCD

I've pretty much narrowed my choices down to:

UN55B8500

55SV670U

VF551XVT

Though I include the UN55B8500 (it's very sexy
) it's actually pretty much out of the picture due to cost unless some crazy deal comes out on it. So actually don't take it into account.

I can get the VF551XVT at the best price, with the 55SV670U being a little more.

Are there any advantages of the 55SV670U? From my reading it seems like the VIZIO set is actually the better choice - is this true?

I came across the claim in some threads that the VIZIO set uses the exact same panel as the set of another manufacturer (Samsung? LG?) What panel does the VIZIO set use?

I've also ran across the 55LH90 - but excluded it because it didn't seem to have any benefit over the VF551XVT / 55SV670U and is considerably more expensive - any reason to change my mind about this?

I would like to make the purchase in the next few weeks (have 'heard' that deals on displays happen right after the super bowl - but regardless of this i still wish to make the purchase soon)

TL;DR:

I want a 55" LED LCD! VF551XVT and 55SV670U are in my price range (VF551XVT cheaper / longer warranty) - which one! (or suggest another set!)

See less See more
#4 ·
670U- Ultra Clear Panel. (Somewhat reflective when light hit's it) IMO doesn't take away from the picture

551- Matte Screen. Very good with bright rooms as it's non-reflective.

670U- Offers 96 LED Zones

551- Offers 80 LED Zones

670U- IMO Offers a better asthetic. More pleasing to the eye. Looks really nice

551- Asthethic looks OK. Sound Bar detracts from it's design.

670U- Offers a nice amount of User Adjustments for Calibration. Including the adjust the Primary & Secondary Colors via the User Menu

551- Also offers User Adjustments, but not as extensive as the 670U.

Lastly if you can see both of them, do so.

#5 ·
Since the firmware upgrade Toshiba owners seem to be super happy with their displays. There may be a few things that each does better than the other but the biggest difference are the screens....matte vs gloss. If I were to choose between the two, the amount of ambient light or windows in the room would weigh heavily in my decision.

#6 ·
I owned the Toshiba and the local dimming was fantastic, but I exchanged it for an edge lit Samsung 8000.

The "240" Hz on the Toshiba cannot compare to the real 240 Hz of the Samsung. I wanted the 3D effect and I could not be happier with my decision.

I hardly notice the loss of local dimming.

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Danger /forum/post/18053524

I owned the Toshiba and the local dimming was fantastic, but I exchanged it for an edge lit Samsung 8000.

The "240" Hz on the Toshiba cannot compare to the real 240 Hz of the Samsung. I wanted the 3D effect and I could not be happier with my decision.

I hardly notice the loss of local dimming.

I actually had ordered a UN55B8000 at a crazy price a while back but it was canceled due to a 'price mistake.'

I was considering that set but decided against it due to the lack of local dimming and that it commands a hefty price premium over the VIZIO / Toshiba.

But I do love the UN55B8000's looks - so would you say in general the picture is significantly superior? I was under the impression that local dimming gave a noticeable gain in contrast over edge-lit.

At the moment [barring any super deals on the Samsung UN55B8X00] i'm really leaning towards the VIZIO - seems as if Toshiba has better 'on paper' specifications but i don't know if that's worth the price premium - especially as it looks as if the VIZIO operates and is calibrated better 'out of the box' - The CNET 'geekbox' test shows the VIZIO handily out performing the Toshiba (I'm very unlikely to spend hours calibrating myself unless there is a guide / utility for me to run so i can simply input settings)

My room is an open one and will be lit most of the time, though the blinds are decent enough to prevent sunlight directly impacting the set.

#13 ·
The LH90's are a little more than the Toshiba but still a good chunk above the Vizio.

Is there any reason to get the LH90? How many LED zones does the LH90 feature / any comments on the panel? I've read that it has the same number of zones as the VIZIO and that the VIZIO is almost a 'clone' of it.

The price jump from LH90 to UN55B8000 is again doable.. but is the UN55B8000 preferable from PQ standpoint in spite of the lack of local dimming?

#16 ·
OKAY!

So it looks like the price on the 55SV670U has dropped by a significant amount at a store - so I can actually get it for CHEAPER than the VIZIO now - and I can return the VIZIO to Costco still

So: should I?

I'm really worried about the bad 'geekbox' scores at CNET - though hometheatremag gives a glowing review of the 46" version of the Toshiba.

Stick with the VIZIO or go for the Toshiba?

#20 ·
Any specific reasons guys?

This is the glowing review of the 46" version of the 670U i was referring to: http://www.hometheatermag.com/flat-p...670u_lcd_hdtv/

The price difference between the VIZIO and the Toshiba will now allow me to get a 'free PS3' / have cash to go towards an HTPC with the money saved

The Toshiba seems to have better technical specifications on paper than the VIZIO - but the CNET review geekbox scores are bad - but the HTM review is excellent

I think the gloss on the Toshiba will make the picture 'pop'? I'm able to control lighting in my room if necessary.

The VIZIO does have that additional extra year warranty - but I don't value that as high as getting a better set.

Comments?

#21 ·
The Vizio is a great set, and unless you find something out of spec with regards to its performance, I would keep it. Try not to game costco's return policy because you cant do all your research up front, or find that you can save money elsewhere on the set you really wanted after 90 days. I'm not saying that its not technically outside the bounds of their policy to do, but that its killing the goose that lays golden eggs kinda thing. We used to have Costco have a great policy on their laptops and other electronics, and because of abuse we now dont have the same ability any longer - and thats a shame.

If you have a bad set thats one thing - thats why costco has their policy, but it sounds like you were never that sure of your decision in the first place. Some vendors dont deal with costco becuase of their pro consumer policies - the more they are abused the fewer of them we will be afforded. If everyone did that costco would have the same policy as all the other retailers, and that would be a real shame to loose as well.

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF /forum/post/18316009

The Vizio is a great set, and unless you find something out of spec with regards to its performance, I would keep it. Try not to game costco's return policy because you cant do all your research up front, or find that you can save money elsewhere on the set you really wanted after 90 days. I'm not saying that its not technically outside the bounds of their policy to do, but that its killing the goose that lays golden eggs kinda thing. We used to have Costco have a great policy on their laptops and other electronics, and because of abuse we now dont have the same ability any longer - and thats a shame.

If you have a bad set thats one thing - thats why costco has their policy, but it sounds like you were never that sure of your decision in the first place. Some vendors dont deal with costco becuase of their pro consumer policies - the more they are abused the fewer of them we will be afforded. If everyone did that costco would have the same policy as all the other retailers, and that would be a real shame to loose as well.

Very well said!!

To the OP, keep the Vizio!! I know it's hard to not give into the temptation, but you have a good set! There will always be better sets and pricing will keep coming down further, even if you exchanged your TV.. It's just the way technology is!! I own an edge-lit samsung UN55B6000 and it has exceptional PQ!!

I believe I got one of those nice sets that has very little flashing and great off angle viewing.. Now, even though I'm well within my return period and can probably get the B8000, or LH90 for not a huge difference in price, I'm gonna keep the B6000 because I'm perfectly happy with it!!

#23 ·
What helps me is once I purchase something, I dont read reviews any more, I dont even visit these forums (at least the ones regarding the product i purchased) unless I need help or have a problem. All our conversations here are great, but man they can play head games with you - cause you to loose perspective. Of course the pruchase made 3 months ago is the incorrect when look at through the lens of today. Once you open the box, just try and make the best of your decision, and be happy.

#25 ·
Hello again guys :]

IF YOU'RE READING THIS - I need advice before the first week of May (return policy) So thank you in advance

Still have my VIZIO.. and was considering holding onto it (because it is fairly nice, and I got lazy - i'm not as altruistic as you guys about not using my costco powers
)

BUT!

The TV seems to have a problem, on HD channels the audio will work intermittently - meaning there will be no audio, but if the TV is turned on/off audio may/may not work.

I've down troubleshooting with other cables etc. etc. and isolated the problem to the TV itself..

So now I have to either get a replacement of the same model... or a different one!

As of now: I can get the 55SV670U at the best price - but under $100 difference from the 55LH90 - so the price difference is not relevant between those two sets at this point - sooo i'm leaning towards the 55LH90

Any new 55"+ LED LCD sets I should be looking at??

I've also opened up my parameters to non-LED LCD's if the size is 60"-65"+ and in the same price range (a good quality set of course) - heh once the TV was in my room I realized my wall was pretty big
- at the moment i've come across the LC-60E77UN and LC-C6077UN within my price range [similar prices between both models] (I think they're nearly identical sets spec wise ...?)

Any advice would be appreciated!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.