Studio and Year: Disney/Pixar - 1995
MPAA Rating: G
Feature running time: 81 minutes
Genre: Family/Animation/Comedy

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1.78:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, Spanish/French Dolby Digital EX 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring: Voices of: Tom Hanks, Tim Allen, Annie Potts, Don Rickles, John Ratzenberger, Jim Varney, Wallace Shawn, Laurie Metcalf, R. Lee Emery,
Directed by: John Lasseter
Music by: Randy Newman
Written by: John Lasseter, Pete Doctor, Andrew Stanton, Joe Ranft,
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: March 23, 2010

"To infinity and beyond!"

Film Synopsis:

Experience a hilarious fantasy about the lives toys lead when they're left alone. Woody (voiced by Tom Hanks), an old-fashioned cowboy doll, is Andy's favorite. But when Andy gets Buzz Lightyear (voiced by Tim Allen) for his birthday, the flashy new space hero takes Andy's room by storm! Their rivalry leaves them lost with a toy's worst nightmare -- Sid, the toy-torturing boy next door. Woody and Buzz must work together to escape, realizing along the way that they've got a friend... in each other!

My Take:

Toy story is near and dear to me. It is the first film that we took my son to see and watching it brings back fond memories. We have owned it on home video since its release and have watched it countless times over the years. I have to admit that I have probably watched it more than anyone else but haven’t done so in quite some time. This is the first full-length computer-animated feature film and it is indeed a classic that has a special place in the hearts of Disney/Pixar fans. Those familiar with Disney/Pixar collaborations over the last 15 years should recognize the names of the “four wise men” in John Lasseter, Pete Doctor, Andrew Stanton, and Joe Ranft. They all worked on Toy story and have since go on to create other highly regarded Disney/Pixar animated films. Their work here stands as a testament to their ability and dedication to their craft as this is one of the most endearing and memorable animated features ever created. The premise of living toys and the way it is implemented here is brilliant. The story isn’t overly complex but it has the ability to touch audiences at both the adult and child levels. It stimulates our imaginations while integrating thematic elements that relate to real life experiences/feelings of jealousy, bullying, teamwork, friendship, insecurity and love. It is easy to be drawn in by its captivating charm, intelligent wit, and heartwarming innocence. Toy story is filled with well constructed characters and cleverly infused dialogue that make it fetching and fun. The cast is simply wonderful and seems perfectly mated to their respective characters. Each has their moment to shine and does so with enthusiasm. Toy story may not have the flash of some of Pixar’s newer efforts but it’s an endearing, timeless and classic animated film that can be shared and enjoyed from one generation to the next. Thank you to Disney/Pixar for bringing it to Blu-ray with tender loving care as it looks and sounds spectacular in high definition.

Parental Guide:

This is a family film that can be enjoyed by all.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 92

• Dynamics:

• Low frequency extension:

• Surround Sound presentation:

• Clarity/Detail:

• Dialogue Reproduction:

Video: 100

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity:

• Black level/Shadow detail:

• Color reproduction:

• Fleshtones:

• Compression:

Toy story comes to Blu-ray Disc from Disney/Pixar featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 24 mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 4.2 mbps.

This is a reference quality high definition presentation that delivers flawless imagery. The video quality is visually arresting in its depiction of the film’s animated elements. Detail and definition is impeccably rendered as images have a luminous and sparkling clarity that is appreciably three dimensional. It never left me wanting for fine degrees of subtle delineation and texture. The attention to detail in the construction of the animated characters physical features as well as objects within each frame is superb. I couldn’t get over the depth of the beautifully rendered colors. Colors are deeply saturated with lustrous vibrancy and succulent textures that literally leap off of the screen. Primaries are particularly striking and exhibit visible gradational stages that bring out subtle degrees of separation. Each of the characters has distinctive physical qualities that are attributable to them not only in size and shape color as well. Blacks are inky with extended dynamic range and deep gradational highlights. The dark and shadow filled confines of Sid’s bedroom as well as the scenes that take place between Buzz and Woody underneath the car/tractor trailer outside of the gas station exhibit a near infinite level of dimension, with superb contrast and visible shading that drew out lots of detail. I was blown away by this high definition presentation and never seen this film look this good, theatrically or otherwise.

This lossless DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack improves upon the lossy Dolby Digital version in every way. This is not an aggressive or action style sound mix but its ability to deliver an engaging home theater experience is not to be underestimated. This animated film uses an intricate sound design that has to maintain a delicate balance so the plethora of sound effects, music and dialogue within the soundtrack can be clearly and easily interpreted by the audience. Dialogue is distinctly perceptible and well articulated so that even subtle changes in the inflection of the voices among the cast was detectable. Sound effects are accurately placed within the sound field and establish a tight correlation between the onscreen information and what is being heard within the listening environment. A great example of this occurs in the scene at the gas station as the huge tractor trailer pulls up and passes over the camera. This creates an immersive, active and involving soundscape that is abundantly rich in detail. Its wide dynamic range can go from subtle, intricate control to room energizing dynamism. The sequence where the globe is knocked off of its stand and rolls toward Buzz/Woody sounds awesome. Low frequencies underscore sound effects and reinforce the dynamic impact of the audio. Response is authoritative, clean and on occasion prodigious as it fills the room with deep, tactile, low level bass energy. Randy Newman’s emotive and wonderful music score occasionally takes center stage as it is broadcast over the entire system with high level detail with smooth, strident free treble. I found this to be a superlative mix that creates a stable and immersive surround sound experience that achieves excellent balance so that all of the elements inherent in the recording can be realized.

This reference quality high definition audio/video presentation from Disney/Pixar offers breathtaking video and magnificent lossless sound that is awe-inspiring. Disney continues to raise the bar by delivering Blu-ray releases of the highest order. As an enthusiast and fan I tip my hat to them.

Bonus Features:

• (HD) Toy story 3 sneak peek – 2 minutes

• Filmmaker’s commentary

• (HD) Buzz Lightyear mission logs: Blast off – 3 minute featurette with real footage/info on the space station

• (HD) Paths to Pixar: Artists – 4 minute featurette

• (HD) Studio stories: John’s car, Baby AJ, Scooter races – 4 minutes of fun stories as told by crew

• (HD) Buzz takes Manhattan – 2 minute documentary on the Buzz Lightyear balloon at the Macy’s Thanksgiving day parade in NYC

• (HD) Black Friday: The Toy story you never saw – 7 minute documentary

• Classic DVD Bonus features:

1. Filmmakers reflect – 17 minute featurette
    2. Making Toy story – 20 minute featurette
    3. The legend of Toy story – 11 minute featurette
    4. Designing Toy story
    5. 10 deleted scenes
    6. Design – galleries
    7. Story – 3 segments
    8. Production – 4 segments
    9. Music and sound
    10. Publicity
  • Bonus DVD of Toy story Special Edition including Bonus content

• Disney BD-Live enabled

Final Thoughts:

Toy story is one of the most anticipated Blu-ray Disc releases to date and I am thrilled that it has finally arrived from Disney. It is a marvelous family film that has an endearing charm and entertaining story that people of all ages can appreciate. Disney continues to impress with their technically proficient Blu-ray offerings that yield high quality audio/video presentations that fans and enthusiasts are sure to appreciate. Disney has included new bonus supplements as well as the previously released extras. The new features don’t add much however the original content is quite good and stands well enough on its own. A standard definition DVD of Toy story special edition and BD-Live access round things out. Toy story on Blu-ray is a must have that makes for an outstanding addition to every Blu-ray collection. Highly recommended.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS20 1080p High Definition Front Projector (Calibrated by Jeff Meier)

Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen

Anthem AVM50v THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor

Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier

Oppo BDP-83 Universal disc/Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)

Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)

Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)

Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)

Philips TSU9400 Pro Series Touch Panel Remote Control

Canton "Ergo" Series speakers

Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers

SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)

APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector

Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator

Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling

Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

See less See more
#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn /forum/post/18334906

What did I tell you Ralph...unfreaking believable!

This damn near looks 3D, especially Rex! Great review Ralph.

Greetings,

Yeah, I couldn't get over the level of refinement in his "plastic" coating. Not only were the indiviudual dimples rendered sharply but the smaller ones within each were cleary visible too.

Very impressive.

Regards,

#6 ·
As a long time Pixar fan, I am greatly pleased to hear how this film has been handled on its Blu-Ray release. This is one of my all-time favorite movies, and I will surely be adding it to my collection ASAP. As always, a great review which surprised even me at just how stunning this turned out to be. I know a 100 for video doesn't come around very often, and when it does, it's a stellar title. Great review, Ralph!

#8 ·
Thanks, Ralph!

Will you be reviewing Toy Story 2?

#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc /forum/post/18334765

easiest review ever. too bad it's 1.78, looks too damn small on a scope screen!

That's why you do constant area screen then the image is the same size in both aspects. ( I still prefer scope though
)

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamE55 /forum/post/18336735

I've only seen trailers of this but based on this review i think i'll have to collect this one. Plus since Ralph also mentioned that it's for all ages i'm sure i'll enjoy this one.

Cheers

JamE55,

I'm surprised you've never seen these films. Where ya been??
Toy Story 2 is even better than TS, though they're both PIXAR classics and probably their best over all features.

Wonderful, wonderful stuff... for the whole family. Although, adults will enjoy the plentiful in-jokes that the kids won't get 'til they're much older. That's something PIXAR tends to excel at.

---

Ralph,

Can you easily tell if the level of rendering has indeed been increased from the original version (blades of grass, surface textures, etc.)? I know PIXAR worked on both of these older films for the 3D re-release (upped to 2k res. and 3D mapping was created) as the original CAPS files were under 1080p resolution, though not 480p.

I'm wondering if this 2D release is sourced from the new 2k render or if we'll have to wait for the 3D re-release to get the greater, re-worked detail.

I just hope we find out when the 3D versions will be available (with, of course, built-in 2D version). I love these films so much, but I don't want to have to double dip so soon.

Aaahh! It's killing me!

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn /forum/post/18337264

Dan,

I would be shocked if these were the older elements. They damn near look 3D now and blow the DVDs away, especially the first film.

Best,

Greetings,

I agree Dave. These look significantly better than the DVD (s) and exhibit much deeper image penetration.

Regards,

#15 ·
Coolness! Thanks, guys!

Any word on the 3D versions, perhaps when Toy Story 3 is released this Holiday season? With Avatar 3D, the crown jewel of 3D films so far, a no-show this year I would assume the consumer electronics industry is hoping for at least some big name 3D titles to get the Blu-ray 3D treatment or all their 3D TV's and 3D Blu-ray players will be gathering some major dust!

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts /forum/post/18337407

A definite must own. Great movie. I was a kid when I saw this one in the theaters.

OK Matts...you just made me feel VERY old. My 13 year old daughter wasn't even conceived when (yet) when I saw this for the first time!

PS That makes Ralph REALLY old

#18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn /forum/post/18337584

OK Matts...you just made me feel VERY old. My 13 year old daughter wasn't even conceived when (yet) when I saw this for the first time!

PS That makes Ralph REALLY old

Greetings,

Once you hit 40 it's all the same old man..

Cheers,

#21 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16x9enhanced /forum/post/18338099

If only Disney would treat their classic live action films with the same care and reverence we could all die happy.

If they deliver the goods on 20,000 LEAGUES UNDER THE SEA -- well -- I'll probably never be seen outdoors again.

This review is greatly appreciated Ralph, and thankfully, not a surprising one. All that said, I think TOY STORY 2 is a significantly better film (I can't be the only one who gets misty during that Sarah McLachlan song) -- so I'll be anticipating that review too!

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by reanimator /forum/post/18338585

All that said, I think TOY STORY 2 is a significantly better film (I can't be the only one who gets misty during that Sarah McLachlan song) -- so I'll be anticipating that review too!

I'm with you..."When she loved me....loved me..."

Great song and a great movie.

#25 ·
Disney must have put a lot of time and effort into this film. Thats not to say they don't spent a lot of time on other films because we all know they do, but this film in general they seemed to have gone the extra mile. This is one of my favorite animation movies of all time and its a must buy for me. Can't wait to pick this one up! Looking at the screenshot of Rex from blu-ray.com, it definitely looks 3D. I wonder of Disney will come out with a 3 pack once Toy Story 3 is released.

#26 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman /forum/post/18337242

JamE55,

I'm surprised you've never seen these films. Where ya been??
Toy Story 2 is even better than TS, though they're both PIXAR classics and probably their best over all features.

Wonderful, wonderful stuff... for the whole family. Although, adults will enjoy the plentiful in-jokes that the kids won't get 'til they're much older. That's something PIXAR tends to excel at.

Hey Dan,

I've been around.
It's just at the time this was released it didn't really "grab" my attention and so i didn't really care for it much. But since it's getting a lot of rave reviews why not check it out right?

Thanks guys!

Cheers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.