AVS Forum banner

Samsung AllShare and Internet@TV Discussion

641K views 791 replies 186 participants last post by  Neonder 
#1 ·
The new Samsung Blu-ray players (C5500, C6500 and C6900) include the ability to stream content using AllShare and Internet@TV

AllShare allows content stored on a PC to be directly streamed to the Blu-Ray player (wirelessly or via Ethernet connection), allowing you to enjoy your favorite media files in a home cinema setting.

Internet@TV includes downloadable widgets and apps like Netflix, Blockbuster, Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Flickr, Pandora and more.

So this thread is to help specifically with the streaming capability of the Samsung players so as not to detract the player threads in the player forums.

#2 ·
Q) How do I Refresh the Library?

A) The PCSM does not appear to have a auto-refreash capability. After adding files and/or folders you need to open PCSM, the within the Share menu select Refreash DB

Q) How to I Forward/Rewind while watching a movie?

A) There does not appear to be a true FF/RW function. There is a crude method of jumping using the directional keys. One push of left or right seems to jump forward or back about 10-15s. Holding down apears to jump a little further.

Also while a video is playing, if you press the "tools" button it brings up a pop-up menu. Arrow down to the "Playing Time" option. Enter the time that you want to skip to (e.g. enter 4500 for 45 mins) then press the "Enter" button to jump to that point in the video.

Q) Where do I find the PC Share Manager Software

Look up your player/TV in Samsung Support, select Downloads and then Software. Here is link to the BD-C5500 Downloads

As sometimes new versions can break whats working here are current & old versions:

- Samsung PC Share Manager

Q) Why is a supported file not working?

Are you sure the file has a supported video and audio codec?
Mediainfo can display file information, including codecs.

Q) Are their other Media Servers that work with Samsung TV's and Blu-ray players?

Yes, the following has been tested:

Mezzmo

- A number of AVS members are using this inc BritinVA (BD-C5500), gliot1 (BD-6500) and NavySeal (UN46C6400).

- Very simple to use, and easily customizable including creating playlists

- auto-sync database

- Can set sharing permissions per media device that connect to it.

- Supports transcoding

- Cost $29.99 (15 day trial)

Serviio

- Tested OK by BritInVA (BD-C5500C), enigma9o7 (BD-C5500) and Veaux (LN40B650) with AVI, MP4, WMV, MPG, MKV, MP3, WMA & JPG.

- Make sure you select the Samsung WiselinkPro renderer profile..... and ensure you Stop and Start the server process (or restart PC)

- Due to the Samsung renderer images pulled from theMovieDB.org get squished/Stretched (at least on BR players) but you can disable the searching for online metadata option and add your own custom file images if required

- Very simple GUI

- Supports transcoding but transcoded file cannot use the Jog & move to timestamp feature (likely same with any Server)

- Downside is its developed by one guy and while he does a great job on answering questions etc its a risk.

- Currently free but Donations welcomed

Mediatomb

- chateau2361 has had success using Mediatomb running on a Buffalo Linkstaion Live V2 NAS with a Samsung BD-C5500

- see this post for further details

- Free

J River Media Center

- britinva has tested with BD-C5500C and other report of working with LCD-TV 650 series (LE37B650)

- Make sure you have DLNA Server selected in Options, and within Advanced select both DLNA and DLNAExtra.

- Much more than a DLNA Server, some very nice cataloging features but check out their website for a full description

- Cost $49.98 (30day free trial)

If you have another Media server working with the Samsung AllShare Renderer please post your results and they will be added.

Q) Playing single or selected files

If your in a directory full of movies or songs and just select the movie with the Enter button at the end of play it will automatically jump to the next movie or song in the directory. However, if you use the yellow "C" button you can select or deselect the movie(s)/Song(s) and it will just play those selected. If you dont select anything, it plays all. if you select one movie, only that movie plays. if you select three, those three will play only.

#3 ·
1) Better FF/REW Capability

2) Auto or scheduled DB Refresh

3) Ability to customize folder and file icons

4) Ability to support ISO or VOB formats and preserve chapters

5) PCSM prompt when update available and/or a check for update within PCSM

6) Simple list view option of media (i.e. no image thumbnail )

7) Image thumbnails to suit content, i.e. CD cover ratio for audio, DVD cover ratio for movies

8) Ability to use online metadata (e.g. themoviedb.org, Wikipedia, thetvdb.com etc.)

9) Ability to switch off screen saver when player music or using Apps like Pandora

10) Ability to support MPEG in MP4/MKV containers

11) Customizable folder database/system that scans online metadata for the display name (i.e. no show the actual filename)

12) Show subtitles that are embedded in MKV files

13) Support AVI container with AVC (h264) video and AAC audio (what the insignia HD flip camcorders record)

14) Display files alphabetical not in order added

15) Ability to resume play from where you left off.

#4 ·
Let me start by saying I'm a complete novice when it comes to streaming. Sure I do a little on the PC with Netflix, BBC iPlayer etc but never done any kind of streaming of home content.

I purchased the Samsung BD-C5500C (Costco version) yesterday and was really impressed with what I saw. So much so I'll be adding more players if this works smoothly.

Setting up Netflix within Internet@TV was a breeze, the quality IMO was excellent (my PJ is 720P with circa 92" screen so not get full potential of 1080P yet). Be good when 5.1 sound is available. Was not expecting that..... so good surprise.

I've dabbled in the AllShare feature, successfully played some MP4 & MKV movies (just short clips) which were also surprisingly good quality. I did discover that could not stream my Digital Copies that you get with many Blu-rays - tried both the WMV and M4V variants - WTF!

So hoping that I will be joined with those more knowledgeable and if not more novices like me and we can learn together. You never know Samsung might keep an eye and use our constructive criticism and ideas for future development.

#7 ·
I had added a few more test movies to a folder already shared in SAMSUNG PC Share Manager (PCSM), but I was not able to view them. Rebooted both player and PC and still did not see them.

Then I noticed with PCSM under 'Share' menu an option to Refresh DB - this did the trick and now see added movies.

You would think there was a way to force from the player, maybe there is but I don't see it.

The capabilities of the PCSM look to be very thin - and so is any kind of documentation and support. Does anyone know if any of the other DLNA/UPnP servers will work with the Samsungs like TVersity?

#8 ·
I'm also learning this... BD-C5500 purchased Feb 23rd and Windows XP PC.

With the first version of PC Share Manager I tried, 1.52 (I think) matroska files didnt appear, but they did with the next version I tried, 2.33.

Yesterday I installed PC Share Manager 4.03 and I am much happier as it retains my original directory structure. Much better.

With the previous versions, when I first setup and exited the software it created its database or whatever, and it took a while, maybe an hour or two, not sure exactly. With this one, I installed it yesterday and 24 hours later it was still going so I figured something had to be wrong and killed the process. Quickly tested from bdplayer and only a few folders have anything in it, so its like it was only partially done...

I was hoping I'd be able to FF/REW with this new version but it still doesn't seem to work. The same files will FF/REW if on disc or flash.

I also noticed one extra directory listed that I didnt share.... PCShareManagerUpload or something like that... not sure what it's for, any ideas?

I also found a lot of .dba files in the shared directories on the computer that did show files on the player. I deleted them and the bdplayer still seemed to able to play everything it listed... so I assume these are some temp files it would have cleaned up automatically if I'd allowed it to finish normally.

So I ran the software and told it to refresh database and that's running now, I'll give it a few days this time to finish if I have to... but I honestly can't be expected to manually do that every time I add or delete a file... and not sure why it takes so long anyway.

I wish there was a list or detail view on the player tho, as opposed to thumbnails.

#11 ·
I'm also using this sharing funccion with the TV directly. (LN40B650 model).

It works pretty good IMO, the only thing that bothers me is the lack of REW/FF. Last day I was looking a 8GB 1080P MKV movie, the file beeing on my main PC connected via Wifi G and no issues, good image quality.

I also tried TVersity. It works fine BUT the lack of subtitles support is a show stopper for me. I waqs some months ago and I do remember having REW/FF working back then.

The other PC Share Manager limitation is this DB update thing.. why can it watch the folders instead of having me clicking the refresh DB button... this is with version 2.33, just figured out that there's a version 4.03 for the C650 TVs and not listed under the B ones. Will try it tonight.

#13 ·
I mananaged to get TVersity working with my BD-C5500.

Basicially after reading over in TVersity forums looks like for devices that are not included and detected in the TVersity profile you need to add your own. By using a mix of info from their Technical Specification Wiki , and a thread I found on " Samsung LN52A750 52 TV " I got it working so I can at least watch the movies (MKV) that I had shared.

Here is the code I used.

Just added it between the last and the in the profiles.xml that I found at: Owner --> AppData --> Local --> TVersity --> Media Server.

Code:
Code:
Samsung Blu-ray Player
        Samsung
        BD-C5500
        /images/samsung_c5500.jpg
Note I do not claim that this is anywhere near perfect, far from it.

I'm also not sure that the file support between the Samsung Blu-ray players and their TV's are same - but hopefully as they use the same PCSM they do.

Hopefully others can help perfect this.

Also I saw no increased functionality like FF/REW.

I think all TVersity gives us is the ability to transcode unsupported file formats into file formats supported by Samsung.

[EDIT] I corrected the inUASubstr="C5500" in the code. Looks like if you use your model number TVersity can then detect the player. However, I cannot get anything to play.

#14 ·
Does TVersity keep your directory structure intact (like PCSM v4.03, but unlike v2.33 and earlier)? That was definitely one of my pet peeves with the older PCSMs.

How about does TVersity let you see files on your player that weren't there when you installed it? Or do you have to do some type of update database thing like PCSM? I'm over 24 hours now waiting for PCSM 4.03 to update database, taking 100% of my cpu... quite rediculous and not sure when it'll finish.

Lack of FF/REW is annoying especially cuz one of the things I thought would be cool would be to use it to watch tv recorded by my pc (dvr software), but for that I'd like to FF thru commercials. Plus occasionally I miss something and wanna rewind, whether tv or movie. But if it doesnt show new files, it's kinda pointless cuz I have lotsa scheduled recordings and usually prefer to watch newer stuff before older stuff... I can (and do) watch thru my PC with the DVR software already, but the advantage I thought this would have is allow me to webbrowse and watch recordings at the same time (whereas my dvr software doesnt work well on secondary monitor for some reason so I gotta use clone mode, thus my pc is unusable when watching tv).

This whole DLNA seems really odd to me, if it just used regular windows shared folders it seems like it'd be simple, that worked thru my xbox ten years ago and on any other computer (including my roommates mac) just fine.

#15 ·
I just figured out that you can FF/REW! I noticed on the screen that is says "jump" and had sideways triangles next to it. I originally thought it meant the buttons near play and pause, but as you know they don't work. However, the left and right directional keys (ie. for making navigating a menu) do work! A quick press of the left key seemed to jump back about 10 seconds. Didn't play with it much yet, but will later.

I just updated to PCSM 4.03 and nice that it works with MKV files now, and you see a thumbnail with each file. Would love to be able to have thumbnails for folders, like with a WD TV, but can live without it.

#16 ·
I was curious if you could stream ripped DVD's and Blu Ray's (In their original directory format, not ripped to a single file) from your PC. I'm really starting to get sick of how un-reliable my HTPC is, but I've yet to find a way to play my ripped Blu ray and DVD collection anywhere else, other than Windows Media Center. Thanks!

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by erzak /forum/post/18381754

I just figured out that you can FF/REW! I noticed on the screen that is says "jump" and had sideways triangles next to it. I originally thought it meant the buttons near play and pause, but as you know they don't work. However, the left and right directional keys (ie. for making navigating a menu) do work! A quick press of the left key seemed to jump back about 10 seconds. Didn't play with it much yet, but will later.

Great catch - one push seems to move you 10-15s and holding down did seem to make it jump further but no regular pattern how how far. Its something but be great if they added a faster capability, and would be better mapped to >> and >>| for simplicity. Even if >> was 10s and >>| was 5m

Quote:
Originally Posted by erzak /forum/post/18381754

I just updated to PCSM 4.03 and nice that it works with MKV files now, and you see a thumbnail with each file. Would love to be able to have thumbnails for folders, like with a WD TV, but can live without it.

Yeah I think customizabe Thumbnails for folders and movies would be great. It could be quite simple like just look for a jpg with same file or folder name. Would get a HTPC type look on the cheap.

#18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by robneal81 /forum/post/18381995

I was curious if you could stream ripped DVD's and Blu Ray's (In their original directory format, not ripped to a single file) from your PC. I'm really starting to get sick of how un-reliable my HTPC is, but I've yet to find a way to play my ripped Blu ray and DVD collection anywhere else, other than Windows Media Center. Thanks!

At moment PCSM does not support ISO or TS. You will need to convert into a supported format.

I think thats where using a different Server software might help. But these transcode from the source to a supported structure so you still (as far as I know) lose things like scene selection.

#19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma9o7 /forum/post/18380730

Does TVersity keep your directory structure intact (like PCSM v4.03, but unlike v2.33 and earlier)? That was definitely one of my pet peeves with the older PCSMs.

I believe it does..... but when I went to check the player could not find the files via TVersity

Quote:

How about does TVersity let you see files on your player that weren't there when you installed it? Or do you have to do some type of update database thing like PCSM? I'm over 24 hours now waiting for PCSM 4.03 to update database, taking 100% of my cpu... quite rediculous and not sure when it'll finish.

As you add folders in TVersity it seems to automatically add to the library.... but I guess that does not help if you add a file to an existing folder. But you can tell TVersity to refresh at certain times everyday.

Quote:

Lack of FF/REW is annoying especially cuz one of the things I thought would be cool would be to use it to watch tv recorded by my pc (dvr software), but for that I'd like to FF thru commercials. Plus occasionally I miss something and wanna rewind, whether tv or movie. But if it doesnt show new files, it's kinda pointless cuz I have lotsa scheduled recordings and usually prefer to watch newer stuff before older stuff... I can (and do) watch thru my PC with the DVR software already, but the advantage I thought this would have is allow me to webbrowse and watch recordings at the same time (whereas my dvr software doesnt work well on secondary monitor for some reason so I gotta use clone mode, thus my pc is unusable when watching tv).

See erzak post - there is a crude way of FF/REW but far from ideal if say you wanted to skip 45mins into a movie

Quote:

This whole DLNA seems really odd to me, if it just used regular windows shared folders it seems like it'd be simple, that worked thru my xbox ten years ago and on any other computer (including my roommates mac) just fine.

Hopefully the Samsung player interface and PCSM is evolving. Be great if there was a way to submit feedback requirements but don't think calling CS will get thru to them. I sent them feedback via website - you never know.

I'll add a Requirements section in one of the top posts.

#20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritInVA /forum/post/18382437

...there is a crude way of FF/REW but far from ideal if say you wanted to skip 45mins into a movie

While a video is playing, if you press the "tools" button it brings up a pop-up menu. Arrow down to the "Playing Time" option. Enter the time that you want to skip to then press the "Enter" button to jump to that point in the video.

#21 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by boardinutah /forum/post/18384185

While a video is playing, if you press the "tools" button it brings up a pop-up menu. Arrow down to the "Playing Time" option. Enter the time that you want to skip to then press the "Enter" button to jump to that point in the video.

Nice find!

#22 ·
Yes, gotta say I am quite pleased you folks figured out the jump forward/backward, and the tools to jump to specific time. Those suit my needs just fine.

Now we just gotta figure out how to make the database stay up-to-date automatically, and I'm still curious what that PCShareManagerUpload folder thing is.

An annoying thing I noticed is you can't refresh database while watching anything, it kills the connection.

#25 ·
For Video I've had success with MKV & MP4, it does not show any WMV. Not tried AVI

For Pictures I've had success with JPG.

For music I've tried M4A and WAV. Both didn't wotk but not shown as supported. Not tried MP3 or WMA.

I'll try to check some of the others later.

Something I don't like about Samsungs implementation is how you see all the same folders whether you pick Video, Music or Pictures. Be better if you could tag the in PCSM.

#26 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpleavs /forum/post/18406391

Not sure what is going on, but my unit stopped recognizing files that it previously recognized prior to the latest firmware push. I'm trying to access files from my HP Windows Home Server (.jpg and .mpg). Is this just me or are others experiencing the same issue?

Brian

There are two icon's that are registered on the Samsung for my home server. They look exactly the same, but with the one on the left (no other way to distinguish the two from the screen) you can only view the files in the folder, but they will not play. The one on the right is the one that is actually working, where you can actually play the files.

Brian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.