Feature running time: 117 minutes
Genre: Drama/Sci-Fi

Disc Format: BD-25
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1.85:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, Spanish Mono, French Stereo
Subtitles: English SDH
Starring: Wilford Brimley, Hume Cronyn, Don Ameche, Brian Dennehy, Steve Guttenberg, Jack Gilford, Jessica Tandy, Maureen Stapleton, Gwen Vernon, Herta Ware, Tahnee Welch
Directed by: Ron Howard
Music by: James Horner
Written by: Tom Benedek
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: April 6, 2010

"It is everything you’ve dreamed of. It is nothing you expect"

Film Synopsis:

When visitors from a distant galaxy return to Earth on a secret mission, their other-wordly powers afford a group of senior citizens – who had expected nothing more from life than bingo, shuffleboard, aches and pains – the chance to recapture their youth.

My Take:

I am a fan of Cocoon and have been since seeing it back in the eighties. It is an uplifting and heartwarming film that has a genuine appeal that is timeless. I find the wonderful characters which are capably portrayed by a host of stage/screen veterans to be the heart of what drives the story. The premise revolves around a group of elderly people living in a Florida retirement community. By happenstance several of them come in contact with an alien race of Antareans (extraterrestrial beings that appear human), who have returned to earth after 10,000 years to retrieve 20 of their comrades that were left behind and preserved on the ocean bottom in rock like cocoons. Things get interesting when it is discovered that the indoor pool now used by the Antareans to store the cocoons has the ability to reinvigorate and even heal the elderly group of friends that had been sneaking in to swim there. The story raises poignant questions about mortality, the complexities of interpersonal relationships, and the individual choice and ramifications of acceptance of the cards dealt by Mother Nature. These are ordinary people in their twilight years who find themselves confronted with a situation that allows them to embark on a whole new chapter filled with the hope of adventure. The Antareans aren’t presented in a sinister light as they appear peaceful and compassionate. If a group of aliens lands in your neighborhood the Antareans are exactly the type you’d hope for. The film is wonderfully scripted and involving as it combines the elements of drama, fantasy/adventure, sci-fi, and even comedy. Director Ron Howard paints a vivid portrait that carefully blends the story’s elements while simultaneously eliciting a range of emotions that allow us to connect with the characters on multiple levels. Cocoon is an entertaining and classic film that holds up well under repeat viewings. It has found a home in my Blu-ray collection.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for mild language, thematic material and brief sensuality.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 74

• Dynamics:

• Low frequency extension:

• Surround Sound presentation:

• Clarity/Detail:

• Dialogue Reproduction:

Video: 78

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity:

• Black level/Shadow detail:

• Color reproduction:

• Fleshtones:

• Compression:

Cocoon comes to Blu-ray Disc from 20th Century Fox featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 19 mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.1 mbps.

This high definition presentation delivered fair to good overall image quality that appeared faithful to the film’s original elements. Its high definition video offered an appreciable level of detail during close ups and certain wide angle camera shots. The exterior shots of Florida and the beach/shore locations looked vivid with naturally rendered colors and stable resolution. The majority of the time the visuals didn’t have a high level of image penetration. Sharpness was good but occasionally inconsistent as the image softened at times. The variety of period colors and earth toned hues were reproduced well but weren’t especially engaging. Blues were vibrant, deeply saturated and eye catching while reds appeared to lean more toward orange. Blacks were punchy which increased depth perception in low lit sequences (the visual effects in the opening ocean scene looked great). Those same scenes had an improved sense of dimension thanks to a discernible level of visible detail in dark backgrounds. Grain is preserved naturally and is noticeable throughout. Occasionally it takes on more prominence but I didn’t find it to be problematic. While this presentation lacks the polish of today’s newer films being released on Blu-ray Disc, I think that this presentation appears faithful to this 25 year old film’s original elements and looks decent in high definition.

The lossless soundtrack made the most of the dated source elements present in the recording. The sound mix appears to have been touched up and the results are a mixed bag. Dialogue is intelligible for the most part although some of the softer spoken passages later in the film were a little hard to hear. It offers above average clarity and occasionally makes use of the surround platform. I noticed that some sequences ratchet up the volume in the surround channels which I find distracting as it negatively affects balance within the sound field. One example of this occurs when Art (Ameche) and Bess (Verdon) open the doors and enter the wedding chapel. The church organ blasts through the rear channels at a volume that drowns out audio emanating from the front soundstage which abruptly shifts focus. Conversely there are many moments where the mix shines. The big band music in the dance hall sequence is wonderfully smooth and well integrated through the main channels. James Horner’s music score sounds full bodied with ample low frequency weight that allows the impact of the bass drum to be palpable. Sound effects associated with the spaceship and underwater sequences offer average sound field penetration that doesn’t have the feeling of authority and quantifiable dynamics that you might find with today’s digital soundtracks, but does exert tangible influence with a fair level of immersion, impact and clarity.

Bonus Features:

• Commentary with director Ron Howard

• Behind the scenes featurette - 7 minutes

• Ron Howard Profile - 2 minutes

• Underwater training featurette - 3 minutes

• Actors featurette - 3 minutes

• Creating Antareans featurette - 4 minutes

• Theatrical and Teaser trailers

• 3 TV Spots

• Cocoon: The return theatrical teaser

Final Thoughts:

Cocoon is a charming and memorable film that has rightfully earned a special place in the hearts of many. Its debut on Blu-ray Disc from Fox may not have the high gloss finish and visually stimulating picture quality of the best high definition discs available but it seems to present an honest view of the film. Fans are sure to appreciate the inclusion of the bonus supplements contained on the original DVD release which contains vintage features and an audio commentary by director Ron Howard. If you enjoy this classic film as much I do this disc makes a worthy addition to your Blu-ray library.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS20 1080p High Definition Front Projector (Calibrated by Jeff Meier)

Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen

Anthem AVM50v THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor

Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier

Oppo BDP-83 Universal disc/Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)

Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)

Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)

Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)

Philips TSU9400 Pro Series Touch Panel Remote Control

Canton "Ergo" Series speakers

Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers

SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)

APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector

Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator

Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling

Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

See less See more
#2 ·
Thanks for the review, Ralph. Not to bust your hump but two questions:

1) What does this sentence mean? "The majority of the time the visuals didn't have a high level of image penetration." Frankly, that reads to me like "talkin' a lot but saying nuthin'." The visuals are the image, and what are they supposed to be penetrating?

2) What "digital imagery" in the opening ocean scene? This was 1985; the nascent CGI of even WILLOW and YOUNG SHERLOCK HOLMES had yet to see the light of day.

#3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filmmaker /forum/post/18472827

Thanks for the review, Ralph. Not to bust your hump but two questions:

1) What does this sentence mean? "The majority of the time the visuals didn't have a high level of image penetration." Frankly, that reads to me like "talkin' a lot but saying nuthin'." The visuals are the image, and what are they supposed to be penetrating?

2) What "digital imagery" in the opening ocean scene? This was 1985; the nascent CGI of even WILLOW and YOUNG SHERLOCK HOLMES had yet to see the light of day.

Greetings,

Filmmaker, generally speaking good high definition video yields resolute imagery where backgrounds are delineated and people/objects in foregrounds are clearly defined. Combined they represent the visuals that make up the entire image. Sometimes one is stronger than the other which can impact the perception of depth/dimension or what I sometimes refer to as the level of image penetration.

As to the digital imagery in the opening sequence where the ship hovers over the ocean and dolphins this was created by Lucas' Industrial Light and Magic.

Lastly, I have had my "hump" busted by experts. A few questions from a lighweight are hardly worth getting in a lather over.

Regards,

#4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts /forum/post/18473381

Filmmaker, generally speaking good high definition video yields resolute imagery where backgrounds are delineated and people/objects in foregrounds are clearly defined. Combined they represent the visuals that make up the entire image. Sometimes one is stronger than the other which can impact the perception of depth/dimension or what I sometimes refer to as the level of image penetration.

Gotcha! Strange word choice, IMO, but if I read you correctly, you're referring to the degree of perceiving a 3D "pop" to the image.

Quote:

As to the digital imagery in the opening sequence where the ship hovers over the ocean and dolphins this was created by Lucas' Industrial Light and Magic.

Sure, but ILM has been around since the first STAR WARS movie; ILM ≠ nothing but CGI. I took issue with your use of the term "digital", as though the spaceship and/or dolphins were created via CGI, which is not the case.

Quote:

Lastly, I have had my "hump" busted by experts. A few questions from a lightweight are hardly worth getting in a lather over.

Ouch.

#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filmmaker /forum/post/18473532

Gotcha! Strange word choice, IMO, but if I read you correctly, you're referring to the degree of perceiving a 3D "pop" to the image.

Sure, but ILM has been around since the first STAR WARS movie; ILM ≠ nothing but CGI. I took issue with your use of the term "digital", as though the spaceship and/or dolphins were created via CGI, which is not the case.

Ouch.

Greetings,

FM, you assumed that I was referring to the dolphins/spaceship. I mentioned that in my response as a referral to the sequence I was talking about. Actually what I was referring to in the review was the simulated cloud cover.

As far as everything else goes you read me correctly.

Regards,

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts /forum/post/18473778

FM, you assumed that I was referring to the dolphins/spaceship. I mentioned that in my response as a referral to the sequence I was talking about. Actually what I was referring to in the review was the simulated cloud cover.

Well, now you're just being ornery; I think it would be a rare person who would read the sentence "As to the digital imagery in the opening sequence where the ship hovers over the ocean and dolphins this was created by Lucas' Industrial Light and Magic" and think you were talking about some other element of that shot altogether. Oh, and the point remains--still not CGI/digital, not the clouds, not the ship, not the dolphins, not the water, not nuthin'. But I really didn't intend for this to become contentious; I appreciate this review, as all of yours. Just got thrown off by some of your word choices. Thanks for clarifying.

#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filmmaker /forum/post/18474329

Well, now you're just being ornery; I think it would be a rare person who would read the sentence "As to the digital imagery in the opening sequence where the ship hovers over the ocean and dolphins this was created by Lucas' Industrial Light and Magic" and think you were talking about some other element of that shot altogether. Oh, and the point remains--still not CGI/digital, not the clouds, not the ship, not the dolphins, not the water, not nuthin'. But I really didn't intend for this to become contentious; I appreciate this review, as all of yours. Just got thrown off by some of your word choices. Thanks for clarifying.

Greetings,

Filmmaker, I disagree with respect to your opinion regarding the use of computer generated images in that sequence. As far as my being contentious I will admit to that. Perhaps it is in response to the tone of your original post. Specifically:
Quote:
Frankly, that reads to me like "talkin' a lot but saying nuthin'

I took umbrage to that remark. If you wanted clarification you could easily have posted your question (s) without adding your "frank" comment.

I put plenty of time and effort into my reviews. Your comment would suggest otherwise. I do agree that it is time to move on though and I do appreciate your query.

Regards,

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts /forum/post/18475572

Filmmaker, I disagree with respect to your opinion regarding the use of computer generated images in that sequence.

Do you know something I don't know in respect to that sequence? I maintain that it was way too early in the history of CGI, not to mention being outside of COCOON's relatively meager VFX budget, for that element to be computer generated, but if you have some facts I'm not aware of, I'm not too proud to admit error. As it stands, they clearly look very much like the paint-in-water cloud effects seen earlier in CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND and POLTERGEIST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts /forum/post/18475572

As far as my being contentious I will admit to that. Perhaps it is in response to the tone of your original post. Specifically: I took umbrage to that remark. If you wanted clarification you could easily have posted your question (s) without adding your "frank" comment.

I put plenty of time and effort into my reviews. Your comment would suggest otherwise.

Then I want to add another apology to the mix for the misunderstanding. I only meant to convey that I couldn't make any meaningful sense out of the "image penetration" line. I was afraid the tongue-in-cheek quality I was going for with the "talkin' a lot but saying nuthin'" comment might not come off well, since the internet's Achilles heel remains the inability to convey tone of voice. That's specifically why I added the "not to bust your hump" line. Very sorry that didn't have the intended effect because I value your reviews greatly (so much so that I still haven't warmed to Mr. Lee Weber yet--poor guy, he's working hard, but part of me is still like, hey, this is Ralph's backyard!) and wouldn't want you to perceive a hint of rudeness or insolence on my part. Keep up the good work, with thanks!

#9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filmmaker /forum/post/18475756

Do you know something I don't know in respect to that sequence? I maintain that it was way too early in the history of CGI, not to mention being outside of COCOON's relatively meager VFX budget, for that element to be computer generated, but if you have some facts I'm not aware of, I'm not too proud to admit error. As it stands, they clearly look very much like the paint-in-water cloud effects seen earlier in CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND and POLTERGEIST.

Then I want to add another apology to the mix for the misunderstanding. I only meant to convey that I couldn't make any meaningful sense out of the "image penetration" line. I was afraid the tongue-in-cheek quality I was going for with the "talkin' a lot but saying nuthin'" comment might not come off well, since the internet's Achilles heel remains the inability to convey tone of voice. That's specifically why I added the "not to bust your hump" line. Very sorry that didn't have the intended effect because I value your reviews greatly (so much so that I still haven't warmed to Mr. Lee Weber yet--poor guy, he's working hard, but part of me is still like, hey, this is Ralph's backyard!) and wouldn't want you to perceive a hint of rudeness or insolence on my part. Keep up the good work, with thanks!

Greetings,

Filmmaker, it is all good my friend. Thanks for your input and continued support.

BTW - I stand corrected on the use of the term "digital". I have edited my review to now read "visual effects".

Regards,

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Weber /forum/post/18477631

All I want to know is...

Ralph, are you exited with the possibility of covering the classic, Cocoon: The Return??

Don't tease me. A big step down from the first one, to be sure, but I still like it (that slam dunk in HD is gonna look retched, though) and am a little grumpy it didn't come to BD at the same time. And a young Courtney Cox is a smokin' hot Courtney Cox!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.