AVS Forum banner

18Â? down-firing EGG shaped sub buildÂ?

39K views 107 replies 28 participants last post by  dbldare 
#1 ·
I ordered the driver, bought the wood, and will be starting the cutting this weekend. This will be a bit of an unusual build. Some will say that it will be ugly, but the wife has given her stamp of approval, and more importantly, I like it. It should be a nice step up from my current Titanic III 15”.

The driver will be a Maelstrom-18".

Amp will be a Behringer EP4000.

EQ will be a Behringer DSP1124P Feedback Destroyer.

Using ¾” MDF to make a 5.75 cubic foot sealed enclosure (internal).

Walls to start at 2” thick and then be sanded down to maybe 1&3/4.

I don’t have any graphics software but have managed to put something together with Excel & Word. Here is a cross section of what it should end up looking like. It will be 30” wide by 35.25” high. I have noticed that with Word, dimensions will be skewed from one computer to the next depending on settings. The width should be 85% of the height, so if you want to see it scaled properly, you may need to do some stretching of it.

Eggbuild diagram 4-27-101.doc 95k . file

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
A few people on another site were saying that I needed more bracing. Here is the new design. Anyone feel like helping me get this monster up the stairs when it's finished?

Cutting begain last weekend. There were a lot of setbacks at first, but now it's moving along well. I have 15 rings cut and the rest have all been drawn out. Just need to connect the dots with the jig saw and then I can start stacking.

#3 ·
Everyone's getting into the stacked ring builds. I cant wait to see it finished.

#4 ·
I guess you could say that we've been thinking outside the box.

#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 /forum/post/18588549

the egg idea is pretty neat.

are you planning to knock the corners off all the horizontal pieces or fill in the dips with something?

an alternative solution could be to wrap the whole thing in fiberglass.

Or Great Stuff foam.

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 /forum/post/18588549

the egg idea is pretty neat.

are you planning to knock the corners off all the horizontal pieces or fill in the dips with something?

an alternative solution could be to wrap the whole thing in fiberglass.

Thanks,

I was in an art gallery and noticed a lot of egg shaped "art". Seemed like a good plan.

My plan is to be sanding them off for the next 2-3 weeks, (or is that years?)

I don't have any experience with fiberglass (or bondo). Not sure how much easier or harder that is.

#9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci /forum/post/18588364

Good luck with this. That's a lot of work. Prepare!

Thanks,

That's for sure. Good thing I'm not in a hurry.

#10 ·
I have been on vacation for a bit, so I'm behind on picture posting. I did get a lot done though. Here are a few to catch everyone up.

First, all the scrap wood left over.

#11 ·
Then the rings that will be put to work.

#12 ·
Time for inventory. Can't start if all the pieces are not available.

#13 ·
Slapping a few pieces together now. The bracing looks good.

#14 ·
Half an egg is better than none?

#15 ·
Stuff that baby!

#16 ·
It's starting to take shape. It's looking big, but I made room for the binding posts.

#17 ·
Shouldn't be too bad to sand it down if you have a good belt sander and some aggressive belts. Use a dust mask. Hook a shop vacuum to the belt sander dust port.

Might be a cool idea to build a "potters wheel" with a big lazy Susan bearing so you can let the egg spin as you grind it down with the belt sander. Might get more consistent profile that way.

[I posted this before I realized the sanding part was done]

#18 ·
It looks beter sanded.

This is the first coat of China Red. It looks more orange to me. The next coat id Red Oak. It's starting to look more like the Piano Rosewood that I want it to match. Once it dries it will get a coat of Red Mahogany and then a bunch of clear-coats.

Reactions: ss nimrod
#19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew /forum/post/18653026

Shouldn't be too bad to sand it down if you have a good belt sander and some aggressive belts. Use a dust mask. Hook a shop vacuum to the belt sander dust port.

Might be a cool idea to build a "potters wheel" with a big lazy Susan bearing so you can let the egg spin as you grind it down with the belt sander. Might get more consistent profile that way.

A BIG potter's wheel huh? Maybe next time.

I did use a belt sander though. Took the better part of a day to hit it with 40 grit, 80 and then 120. After each primer and paint coats it gets hit with 220.

#20 ·
Very cool design! I love it!

Were you able to do all your cutting with a router on a circle jig?

#23 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by corock /forum/post/18653437

Very cool design! I love it!

Were you able to do all your cutting with a router on a circle jig?

Thanks,

Much like you, I tried the router first but ended up with the jigsaw. I saw that you cut your face-plate using the same attachment I picked up for circles. It did a fair job for me. I'm not the perfectionist you are, but it still came out OK.

#26 ·
You've given me an idea for my next build. Here's the prototype...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.