Feature running time: 99/100 minutes
Genre: Comedy

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1.85:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, French Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish
Starring: John Cusak, Rob Corddry, Craig Robinson, Clark Duke, Lizzy Caplan, Crispin Glover, Chevy Chase
Directed by: Steve Pink
Music by: Christophe Beck
Written by: Josh Heald, Sean Anders, John Morris
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: June 29, 2010

"If I could turn back time."

Film Synopsis:

Get ready to kick some serious past with the wildly inappropriate unrated version of Hot Tub Time Machine. The outrageous laughs bubble up when four friends share a crazy night of drinking in a ski resort hot tub, only to wake up with serious hangovers in 1986 - back when girls wore leg warmers, guys watched Red Dawn and Michael Jackson was black! Now, nice-guy Adam (John Cusack), party animal Lou (Rob Corddry), married man Nick (Craig Robinson) and mega-nerd Jacob (Clark Duke) must relive a wild night of sex, drugs and rock-n-roll and try to change their future - forever!

My Take:

Hot tub time machine is a comedy about three close friends with less-than-fulfilling lives that get the chance to go back and do it all again. John Cusack, Craig Robinson and Rob Corddry star as Adam, Nick, and Lou, three disgruntled buddies looking to recapture a little of their youthful glory by returning to the Kodiak Valley ski resort where they used to party back in the day. Adam opts to let his live in nephew Jacob tag along for the ride. Upon arriving in town they see that the area and resort has fallen on hard times and is merely a shell of its former self. After a crazy night of drinking in the hot tub, they head out to the slopes and slowly begin to realize that they've been transported back to 1986 and into the bodies of their younger selves. Now they have to decide whether they should change their futures while wading through a sea of spandex, blue eye shadow and heavy metal hair bands.

I was pleasantly surprised by Hot tub time machine and found it to be better than anticipated. Don't get me wrong this doesn't achieve classic comedic status but if given half a chance its mix of lewd/crude and 80's nostalgia is quite a bit of fun. The script isn't pretentious and goes at the audience from an almost stupid funny angle while cleverly integrating over the top humor with well placed cameos, intelligent wit, and a corny but admissible message about second chances and giving back. There are some laugh out loud moments, plenty of fun 80's references (jeri curls, walkmans, leg warmers, Red Dawn), and a great mix of mid 80's music. Craig Robinson, Clark Duke and John Cusak each has their moment to shine but Rob Corddry is the scene stealing standout. Cameos by 80's movie icon Chevy Chase, William Zabka (Karate Kid's Johnny) and Crispin Glover as the one armed bellhop add to the fun. Hot tub time machine is typically silly, politically incorrect and undeniably formulaic but I got a kick out it just the same. If kept in the proper perspective this is a decent bro flick with a nostalgic and amusing 80's spin. Both the theatrical and unrated versions are included which is always welcomed. I opted for the unrated cut during my evaluation. It adds little more than a few additional scenes (which are pretty obvious) that don't bolster the film's content.

Parental Guide:

This film contains strong crude and sexual content, nudity, drug use and pervasive language.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 84

• Dynamics:

• Low frequency extension:

• Surround Sound presentation:

• Clarity/Detail:

• Dialogue Reproduction:

Video: 92

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity:

• Black level/Shadow detail:

• Color reproduction:

• Fleshtones:

• Compression:

Hot tub time machine comes to Blu-ray Disc from Fox featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 32 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 4 Mbps.

This is a reference quality Blu-ray offering from Fox that looks terrific in high definition. The video is razor sharp with a slightly edgy but otherwise pristine quality that is visually pleasing. Detail rendering is nearly flawless with lucid visual acuity and fine articulation that brings forth lots of subtle detail in the images onscreen. Colors are rich and delineated with oversaturated primaries and warm tonality that make them pop nicely. The extensive palette of secondary hues that represent the period colors featured in the story, appear vivid and warm. Flesh tones tend to be on the golden side with varying degrees of complexional separation among the cast. Boldly applied contrast and consistent black levels provide excellent balance during bright scenes containing mixed content. Shadow detail is good enough that I could make out plenty of discernible texture in the low lighting and dark backgrounds. The CGI based and green screen photography softened some shots but its effects are innate and fidelity remained unaffected.

The lossless soundtrack doesn't consistently engage the entire surround platform however it has moments where it energizes the room and reproduces the source elements with aplomb. Dialogue has definitive presence with refined vocal character and excellent room penetration. Dynamic range is very good which lends subtle distinction to low level sounds and gravity to broader ones. A large portion of the film has little need for this as dialogue, atmospheric ambience and musical enhancement is conveyed with little fanfare. However there are several sequences that engage the entire system to briefly produce entertaining and room filling sound that is measurable. This soundtrack isn't demonstration worthy but for a comedy it readily delivers a satisfying listening experience that didn't leave me disappointed.

Bonus Features:

• Theatrical and Unrated versions of the film

• (HD) 10 deleted scenes

• (HD) Theatrical trailer

• (HD) Theatrical promo spots - totaling 5 minutes

1. Production: Acting like idiots
    2. Chevy Chase: The nicest guy in Hollywood
    3. Totally radical outfits: Dayna Pink - costume design
    4. Crispin Glover: One-armed bellhop
  • Digital Copy Bonus Disc: Hot tub time machine

Final Thoughts:

Hot tub time machine is typically silly, noticeably formulaic and falls shy of better genre films that deal with similar subject matter. However I must admit that it is undeniably entertaining thanks to an unpretentious script that strikes an amusing chord from an almost stupid funny angle while cleverly integrating over the top humor with intelligent wit that if kept in the proper perspective makes for a decent bro flick with a nostalgic 80's spin. Its debut on Blu-ray Disc from Fox features superb high definition video and excellent lossless DTS-HD Master Audio sound that compliments the picture quality quite well. The middling array of special features doesn't offer much but Fox has included both versions of the film along with a digital copy. I enjoyed this one more than expected and recommend that you give it a spin as well.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS20 1080p High Definition Front Projector (Calibrated by Jeff Meier)

Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100 16x9 Screen

Anthem AVM50v THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor

Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier

Oppo BDP-83 Universal disc/Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)

Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)

Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)

Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)

Philips TSU9400 Pro Series Touch Panel Remote Control

Canton "Ergo" Series speakers

Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers

SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)

APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector

Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator

Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling

Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

See less See more
#2 ·
I agree. Great flick to put on when having a few beers and friends over and some memorable funny scenes. Cripsen Glover is great in this too.

#6 ·
Well , I had this in my hand...never heard of it before , and at the last second I put it down for Green Zone instead ...along with The Crazies and

The Lightning Thief ... all of which I havent watched yet...but I will pick this up tomorrow based on King Potts review... Im a sucker for a funny flick...especially if it has replay value.

I'll add it !

#7 ·
I must highly disagree with the words on the cover that say "Funnier than the Hangover". While it was a decent comedy, it was nowhere near Hangover. I think I had such high expectations for Hot Tub Time Machine that I ended up mostly being disappointed by the film.

#8 ·
JMHO but the Hangover was overrated being funnier is not saying very much.

#9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Clemons /forum/post/18847801

Be advised that rental copies, in addition to having no extras, also do NOT contain the unrated version.

So my copy coming from Blockbuster is the standard R version? I'm gonna have to buy this, aren't I?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaStar /forum/post/18849409

JMHO but the Hangover was overrated being funnier is not saying very much.

"Would you please put some pants on? I feel weird having to ask you twice."

- Phil

#12 ·
Some 80's style comedy sounds great!

I thought The Hangover was way overrated too.

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ox1216 /forum/post/18850140

Is this a rental or a debut week discounted purchase?

-Alan

I haven't seen any decent discounting yet, which is why I haven't already picked it up. I'll probably grab it when it hits $20 - whenever that might be.

#16 ·
I agree with Ralph that Hot Tum Time Machine was a pleasant surprise. It is certainly not in a class with The Hangover but it is a lot of fun, nonetheless.

I never know what to expect from John Cusack. He can be wonderful, as he was in Say Anything and Being John Malkovich, among others, but he can be awful as he was in 2012. Anyway, I thought Cusack was funny and effective in Hot Tub. The rest of the cast is excellent, too. I particularly enjoyed seeing Lizzy Caplan again. She was terrific in a recurring role in True Blood a couple of seasons ago. I thought she was a little under utilized in Hot Tub but she did a good job with her limited role.

Despite its essential silliness, Hot Tub had a clever fantasy-Si Fi premise that I liked a lot. Unqualifiedly recommended.

#17 ·
I can do dumb humor with the best of them, but this one went beyond my ability to cope. At about the time the guy projectile vomited in the hot tub (covering the poor squirrel) I decided that life was too short to spend any more of it on this film.

Having enjoyed Jack Nicholson in The Last Detail, I am no newby when it comes to a well placed "F" bomb or two. Seemed like this film used this writing tool about every other word. Come on writers, generate some moderate level of creativity!!!

Comparing this film to The Hangover is like comparing steak to head cheese.

Stay away from this one unless you are a teenager, a complete moron, or just a fan of bad film making.

#18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfreak0 /forum/post/18846750

Good movie for the guys...not with the wife around...if you get my drift.

My wife liked it a lot, actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydu /forum/post/18860044

am no newby when it comes to a well placed "F" bomb or two. Seemed like this film used this writing tool about every other word.

I don't remember hearing so many f-words in the theater. That must be why they call this the "unrated" version. The editing hasn't changed much otherwise.

#19 ·
Not being a teenager, a moron, or a fan of bad film making, I rather enjoyed this film.

It certainly isn't a cinematic masterpiece, but was entertaining and enjoyable for a rental.

#21 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydu /forum/post/18860044

I can do dumb humor with the best of them, but this one went beyond my ability to cope. At about the time the guy projectile vomited in the hot tub (covering the poor squirrel) I decided that life was too short to spend any more of it on this film.

Comparing this film to The Hangover is like comparing steak to head cheese.

Stay away from this one unless you are a teenager, a complete moron, or just a fan of bad film making.

+1. This was the worst movie I have seen in a while and it is the first movie I have walked out on in a long time.

#22 ·
I saw this in the theater, and thought it was hilarious. Definitely "stupid funny", similar vibe to the Hangover (which was also very funny, but I agree that it's overrated).

I'm not a moron, teenager, or fan of bad filmmaking (although I have been known to have B-movie nights). I'm a software developer, 28, and enjoy good movies. Did you really expect a movie called "Hot Tub Time Machine" to not have a squirrel being vomited on?

#23 ·
Just got back from the store and picked this one up and getting ready to give it a watch .

#25 ·
This entire film felt like an 80's era film. Just a fun, unbelievable, laugh out loud (a lot) film that makes for a great time. Just check all seriousness at the door when you start this one, and you'll be fine.

Maybe I was in the mood for a comedy, but this film had me rolling. I could have done with less F bombs, as mentioned earlier.

I loved the music choices, the hair styles, bright clothes the list goes on and on. Even Chevy Chase's cameo helped place this one firmly in the 80's.

Just don't go into this one expecting any kind of intense dramatic themes. It is a pure and simple situational comedy, with so much funny dialogue going on that I had to go back a few times just to catch everything happening in a scene. With four very funny guys all talking at once, some of the very funny comments are easy to miss.

PQ was very good and SQ was up there as well. Again, loved the neon colors of the clothing, and it was rendered very well.

PQ: 4 out of 5, SQ 4 out of 5, Film: easily a 3.5 out of 5.

Dan

#26 ·
Finally found this for a price I could agree with - definately laughed a lot more than I did when I watched The Hangover. Though John Cusack made the film, playing off nostalgia for some of his early roles. It would have been nice if the unrated cut reintegrated the Chevy Chase confrontation at the end though. That would have made the cut seem much less superficial and exploitative. The whole spilling soda concept just made the already absurd explanation seem even more nonsensical and insipid. But it was still a fun throwback to 80's style, over-the-top comedy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.