Starring: Kim Hye-ja, Won Bin
Directed by: Bong Joon-Ho
Music by: Lee Byeong-Woo
Written by: Park Eun-Kyo & Bong Joon-Ho
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: July 20, 2010

"She'll stop at nothing"

Film Synopsis:

Mother is a devoted single parent to her simple-minded twenty-seven-year-old son, Do-joon. Often a source of anxiety to his mother, Do-joon behaves in foolish or simply dangerous ways. One night, while walking home drunk, he encounters a school girl who he follows for a while before she disappears into a dark alley. The next morning, she is found dead in an abandoned building and Do-joon is accused of her murder. An inefficient lawyer and an apathetic police force result in a speedy conviction. His mother refuses to believe her beloved son is guilty and immediately undertakes her own investigation to find the girl's killer. In her obsessive quest to clear her son's name, Mother steps into a world of unimaginable chaos and shocking revelations.

My Take:

Mother is a well enacted character study that examines the will and determination of a woman in order to prove the innocence of her mentally challenged son after he is arrested for the murder of a local teenage girl. Mother is over protective of her twenty something year old son Do-joon although in her defense it is probably for good reason. He has an affinity for associating with the wrong people and that along with his quick temper often lands him in trouble. A promiscuous local teen girl is found dead and Do-joon is the last person seen in the vicinity of the murder scene. When the police discover circumstantial evidence linking him to the murder he is arrested and charged. Mother contends he is incapable of such a crime and Do-joon's inability to recollect what happened that night (because he was intoxicated) leaves nothing for her to go on in his defense. Frustrated and with no one willing to help her she begins to look for clues that might lead to the identity of the killer. When she discovers more about the victim she learns that her storied past may hold the clues she seeks to prove Do-joon's innocence. What Mother doesn't realize is that those answers and what she has to do to obtain them will ultimately cost her much more.

Director/co-writer Bong Joon-Ho does a terrific job connecting the audience with Mother, the films main character. She remains sympathetic throughout and the correlation between the plot's development and Mother's transformation from a typical over protector to a cunning, monomaniacal bloodhound is expertly integrated. This is a sort of a mystery/thriller that draws us in by slowly peeling back its layers. The story has lots of depth and speaks to issues related to social acceptance and the painful remorse that can be associated with guilt over past deeds. Korean TV veteran Kim Hye-ja plays against type and gives a strong performance. The film is beautifully shot and staged which entices with visually stimulating imagery that pulls us further into the story. I found Mother to be a compelling and well executed film that capably maintained its composure through to the revealing ending which made for a rewarding genre entry that turned out to be better than expected.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for language, some sexual content, violence, and drug use.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 84

• Dynamics:

• Low frequency extension:

• Surround Sound presentation:

• Clarity/Detail:

• Dialogue Reproduction:

Video: 84

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity:

• Black level/Shadow detail:

• Color reproduction:

• Fleshtones:

• Compression:

Mother comes to Blu-ray Disc from Magnolia HE featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 25 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 2.4 Mbps.

This video presentation offers little in the way of high Gloss, razor sharp imagery but it seems to represent the film's elements well. Primary colors appear satisfying while the film intentionally maintains a cooler overall palette that works well against the drab settings featured in the story. Complexions are texturally descriptive with lifelike tonality that varies only slightly among the cast. Resolution is very good although the film's inherently softer elements leave some wide angle shots with smoother lines and average delineation. Close ups and mid level shots are more revealing of the resolvable detail that draws out subtle textures in the people and objects within the frame. Contrast is on the money and blacks are stable but not overly dynamic in appearance. This wasn't really a problem as there were few scenes that utilized low level material where this was consistently apparent. I saw no overt signs of video anomalies or compression related artifacts and thought this appeared to be a pristine quality encoding.

The DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack had no trouble rendering clear and well articulated dialogue. Sound effects had notable dynamic energy so that they sounded full bodied and aurally satisfying. This is not a film that requires heavy use of surround sound to deliver its message but it does rely on the entire soundstage for proper atmosphere and low frequency detail from time to time. The mix excels at creating the right sounds at the right levels and placing them appropriately in the sound field's acoustic environment. Low frequency effects are used to deliver deep impact when called for and to add solidity to the film music. I thought it sounded great.

* CIH users should note that the subtitles are contained within the picture area.*

Bonus Features:

• Making of Mother - 90 minutes

• A look at actress Kim Hye-ja - 9 minutes

• Behind the scenes - 6 minutes

• Production design featurette - 11 minutes

• Supporting actors featurette - 14 minutes

• Cinematography featurette - 9 minutes

• Music score featurette - 15 minutes

Final Thoughts:

Mother is a compelling mystery/thriller with a multi-faceted story built around a wonderfully portrayed character by Korean TV veteran Kim Hye-ja. It's a well executed film that handily maintains its composure through to its revealing finale. I found it to be a rewarding genre entry that turned out to be better than expected. Magnolia HE brings it to Blu-ray Disc in typically good fashion with strong audio/video quality that compliments the film's original elements. Included are a decent offering of bonus supplements that provide a comprehensive look at the production and cast. Mother is a film worthy of your time especially if you have an appreciation for its interesting perspective and well crafted story.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS20 1080p High Definition Front Projector (Calibrated by Jeff Meier)

Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100 16x9 Screen

Anthem AVM50v THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor

Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier

Oppo BDP-83 Universal disc/Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)

Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)

Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)

Oppo 970HD universal disc DVD Player (480i HDMI)

Philips TSU9400 Pro Series Touch Panel Remote Control

Canton "Ergo" Series speakers

Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers

SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)

APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector

Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator

Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Better Cables, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling

Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

See less See more
#3 ·
I have bid my time on purchasing this title. I've read so many positive reviews (certainly one of the highest rated films of the last year), that I almost broke down and bought the Korean Blu Ray...

This just came in the mail yesterday, so I am hoping I can wait till Friday to watch it with my wife. Thanks Ralph for the review...certainly wet my appetite.

Ron

PS: Looking forward to your review on Ghost Writer...next on my must see Blu Ray list. The previews give me the impression it will be a stunner in both picture and story.

#13 ·
I wouldn't describe this film as creepy at all. That use of the word creepy seems over-the-top and not representitive of this film.

As far as my experience with the Blu Ray....I came in with too high of expectations both on the story front and the expected image. Though I think Ralph did a great job of describing the overall image of the BR disc, I was disappointed in the "grayish black levels". Murky is the best way for me to define the black level on the disc. Though after hearing more about the production of "Mother", it was the intention of the film-makers to present the black level and overall color pallet as Ralph described it in his review.

As for the story-line....really loved the quirky characters and the way the story peeled back the layers of the relationship between the mother and son...as well as the who-dunit aspect of the story. Though I had it in my head that the murder mystery would be more compelling and suspensful ...since some had use Hitchcock as a reference for this film.....I can't agree there.

Overall, I'd give it a solid "B"...but wish I had rented it, instead of a blind buy. It maybe one of those films that my appreciation grows over repeat viewings?

Ron

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacco /forum/post/18970826

Strange, it wasn't "creepy" at all..Just a very determined Mother out to free her child..It's worth a look.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster /forum/post/18992883

I wouldn't describe this film as creepy at all. That use of the word creepy seems over-the-top and not representitive of this film. Ron

I can't find the review on-line from the Washington Post, but I recall reading it in the paper and that the movie was rated "X" due to a scene where "Mother" was bathing her adult son and a couple of other scenes. I see the BD is rated "R". Were these scenes cut from the BD release?

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky636 /forum/post/18993253

I can't find the review on-line from the Washington Post, but I recall reading it in the paper and that the movie was rated "X" due to a scene where "Mother" was bathing her adult son and a couple of other scenes. I see the BD is rated "R". Were these scenes cut from the BD release?

Here's the review:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...032500541.html

The part of the review you are referencing is when Mother is watching him urinate on the street. I would describe the scene as quirky and unusual. Is there references/clues given that Mother and Son may have an incestuous relationship...certainly one can assume they do. But that taken out of context of the film might be described as creepy, but any of the scandalous nature of the story is certainly never truly overt ...let's say compared to "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo".

It's not everybody's cup of tea, but certainly not overt in depicting visually what takes place in the story (incest, sex, murder).

#16 ·
From the Post review:

"With no father in the picture, the two, somewhat unnaturally, share a bed. That would be creepy enough, but Mother, who is never referred to by any other name, also manifests a disturbing fascination with her 27-year-old son's private parts. One bizarre scene shows her watching Do-joon urinate, with an unnatural curiosity. Later in the movie, there are hints of an even more dysfunctional family history."

Definitely not my cup of tea. Enjoy.

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts  /t/1265784/mother-blu-ray-official-avsforum-review#post_18966141

Mother is a film worthy of your time especially if you have an appreciation for its interesting perspective and well crafted story.

Finally got around to watching "Mother" for the first time ever. During the first half of the film, I wasn't sure that my appreciation for it would equal yours, Ralph, but from that point on, I was fully into it.

Thanks for the review and the recommendation, Ralph!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.