AVS Forum banner

Warpdrv's Dual Opposed 18" LMS's..... "The XLerators"

75K views 507 replies 78 participants last post by  kelvinjones322 
#1 ·
Well the day has finally come and its officially becoming reality.

Its been a long wait, I started in on this journey at the beginning of the year, Feb or so. I contracted John at AE Speakers to build me 3 boxes for my build. Today I got the first 2 of the 3 boxes, waiting on the last to get done.

When I first saw John's boxes, from the original 15" w/dual 18" PR's at my GTG to his latest creations, veneered with large radius corners for his kits, I could appreciate what he could do. I have to say I am very very happy with the results and glad I contracted with him, even through the long wait, which was likely harder on him then me. John's got some mad CAD skills and a really nice CNC machine to aid in the design implementation, but his assembly skills are unquestionable as is the final veneer work. Color me very impressed.

Design Criteria

3 x Dual Opposed TC-Sounds LMS 18" subs (6 drivers in 3 boxes)

Double Wall top, bottom and sides 3/4" 13 ply birch

13.3 gross 9.5 CuFt net without bracing and drivers.

Box dimensions external - 25x28x33

Weight - @ 300lbs Total with 2 x 80lb drivers and box

Magnetic Grills

Extensive Bracing

Large Rounded Corners

Aluminum Legs

Mahogany Veneer

Power - 6 x 4000w amps (1 Crest 8002 per driver)

EQ - DCX 2496

3 x 30 amp circuits

I already had 3 x 18" LMS's up and running in my DIY 24" cubes in house to be transferred, and ordered 3 more LMS's still in boxes that have been anxiously waiting the arrival of their new homes.

I also have a 15" TC3000 in the mix in this room behind the seating location, powered by an EP2500 currently, which I may replace with another LMS if need be. I have an extra Crest 8002 to utilize or serve as a stand by in case of failure.

Now, I guess the work begins, time to stuff with some pillows - wire up the boxes, and drop in some drivers...

OK, here are some teaser pics...

John's CNC

Fresh off the truck, Nice toy to have to do the heavy lifting

Freshly unboxed before they get rained on

Power for the drivers, 6 x Crest 8002 (4000w each)

Supermicro 24 bay HotSwap Server and BatteryBackup

Under the monitor is a my Popcorn Hour and an EP2500

See less See more
#2 ·
Warp,

I have to say that is one hell of a combination of equipment you have there (those other toys look very nice also). I look forward to your listening impression once you get everything dialed in.

Also, if I may ask, where did you get the rack from?

James

#3 ·
those look nice, what is the tune you are aiming for and what are you going to do with the sealed mal x boxes?

#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by exojam /forum/post/18984313

Warp,

I have to say that is one hell of a combination of equipment you have there (those other toys look very nice also). I look forward to your listening impression once you get everything dialed in.

Also, if I may ask, where did you get the rack from?

James

Thanks buddy....

One can't have enough toys IMO.....

I asked a good friend of mine to find me a rack for a few amps, nothing in the realm of the size of this rack, but it was free - a very nice computer rack, very deep. I never thought that I would fill it to the brim, but it certainly fit well and was deep enough for a full server that a very good friend I met locally from Audioholics help me build and implement for use of streaming with my Popcorn Hours and a full CAT6 network which currently holds 14 x 2tb drives but unlimited in expansion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stgdz /forum/post/18984318

those look nice, what is the tune you are aiming for and what are you going to do with the sealed mal x boxes?

Not shooting for a Tune per say - My room is 8200^3 open to everywhere (well over 12-15k^3 ultimately) at I'll take what I can get - so the measurements will dictate what my end response will be... I have 3 boxes, 24" cubes, 13 ply birch which have been in use for the LMS's, I may keep one. The others 2 will go unused and likely sold.

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaslast /forum/post/18984375

There anyway you can quote a price for those 3 boxes? ID love to get something similar with just one 18" opening.

Those are some seriously nice looking boxes. I'd like to know how much they cost as well. Exact identical design, but maybe a different veneer. Those are the perfect sizes for dual LMS 5400 drivers. 4 of those in a dedicated HT room would be insane, but still somewhat "affordable," unlike Health Nut's subwoofers gone crazy project.

#12 ·
 http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d1.../LMS/Boxes.jpg

So I am guessing those boxes behind yours are 15's with 12" passives, crazy how your boxes pretty much dwarf them. That CNC machine JJ has is pretty awesome, AE is going to be set up very nicely soon. They brought a lot of stuff in house so they can deal quickly with any issues that come up.

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by clausdk /forum/post/18984929

Whats the modelled output for each of these monster subs?

Ya know, its been so long since I modeled these I really don't remember now... 9db more then what I have now...
doubling up on drivers at each location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stgdz /forum/post/18985251

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d1.../LMS/Boxes.jpg

So I am guessing those boxes behind yours are 15's with 12" passives, crazy how your boxes pretty much dwarf them. That CNC machine JJ has is pretty awesome, AE is going to be set up very nicely soon. They brought a lot of stuff in house so they can deal quickly with any issues that come up.

I'm really not sure what those boxes are behind there, John could identify them better then I. Remember that the 15" w/ 2 x 18" PR is still a box 25" cube, which are pretty big...

#14 ·
Dual-opposed drivers: CHECK

High end 18" drivers: CHECK

Plenty o' horsepower: CHECK

Looks-Cool boxes: CHECK

Sealed system: CHECK

We don't need no stinkin' HP: CHECK

Multiples for placement options: CHECK

A-W-E-S-O-M-E

Never thought I'd say this to a dude, but; Nice Rack.

More pics, graphs, spectrographs, sex, drugs, violence. We can't look away!!!

Bosso

#18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossobass /forum/post/18985615

Bosso

Awww Bosso- Nice of you to compliment my RACK !!
Its tucked in the basement down below the great room so I get no noise from any of this equipment, I swapped out the failing Norco server case in the pic for the SuperMicro case that is there now, very very loud and needs to be addressed with some replacement fans. http://catalog2.elkogroup.com/pictur..._0_425NULL.jpg

Yeah, I have been patiently waiting through the speed bumps that occurred, but now I have to get off my dead @$$ and do the work

There will be alot of measurements to work through, Nuance will be there to help me with that and setting up EQ with REW, it'll take some time to get them dialed in but it will be worth it...
Still got to get that last box in house to finish it up, hope John can get it out soon.

Got a dozen pillows to stuff in as well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassingInterest /forum/post/18985669

Aw dang, I just drooled on myself. Nice equipment!

Great build, too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanish68 /forum/post/18985674

I'm sure the wait will be worth it. Those are some nice enclosures, plenty of bracing and a very nice finish. John did an excellent job with them. Add the best drivers out there with some serious power and you're in bass heaven.

Thank you sirs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by exojam /forum/post/18985698

I would also like to say I think it was pretty cool that John made these cabinets for Warp even knowing his drivers were not going to be used. I know business is business and most can use the cash but that is pretty cool in my little book.

James

Agreed, I could have never gotten this level of build quality and finish on my own.... John is pretty anal about the finish work, its truly exceptional in every detail. I wouldn't hesitate to have him build me something again aside from the unforeseen delays.... It'll def be worth the wait.

#19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossobass /forum/post/18985615

Dual-opposed drivers: CHECK

High end 18" drivers: CHECK

Plenty o' horsepower: CHECK

Looks-Cool boxes: CHECK

Sealed system: CHECK

We don't need no stinkin' HP: CHECK

Multiples for placement options: CHECK

A-W-E-S-O-M-E

Bosso

^^^ wow, I have never seen you happy before, hehe.

:p

#20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleLee /forum/post/18985915

^^^ wow, I have never seen you happy before, hehe.

:p

I've always bowed to the undisputed king of drivers. 6 of them in dual-opposed mahogany boxes with plenty of juice is a thing to behold, no doubt about it.

I'm just paying due respect to a superb system and a stand-up owner. Happy would be if I could sit in the LP and crank it.

Bosso

#21 ·
Patrick,

That rack is full of goodness. Love it. Looks like it could power a decent sized venue, or a small town. Much better than amps sitting on stools and crap!

Next time I'm up that way I WILL be stopping by. Gotta hear all that dialed in some day.

Guys you have to understand that his main room really is gigantic, oddly shaped and open everywhere with not a lot of free gain. It's tough to fill up while retaining some ease to the sound. Plus dudes basically a full on bass junkie anyway.

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossobass /forum/post/18986441

I've always bowed to the undisputed king of drivers. 6 of them in dual-opposed mahogany boxes with plenty of juice is a thing to behold, no doubt about it.

I'm just paying due respect to a superb system and a stand-up owner. Happy would be if I could sit in the LP and crank it.

Bosso

Your always welcome here my friend, I could only lower my head in appreciation for the years of posts I have read made by you.

In fact - none of this would be possible if it weren't for all the truly dedicated people that have helped me along the way, just reading and discussions, and many that just go out of their way through PM's.... Bosso, Mike Hurd, Ricci, KyleLee, Mark Seaton, John Janowitz, Nuance, Kevin Haskins, penngray - goodness it would take me forever to drum up a list of all the great members....

Thanks to all that have helped along the journey....

#24 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci /forum/post/18986794

Patrick,

That rack is full of goodness. Love it. Looks like it could power a decent sized venue, or a small town. Much better than amps sitting on stools and crap!

Next time I'm up that way I WILL be stopping by. Gotta hear all that dialed in some day.

Ha - Much better then amps on bar stools....

Seems I'll never live that down, glad I came to my senses eventually...
Oh the memories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklahoma Wolf /forum/post/18986859

That amp rack is a thing of pure awesomeness, and so are those enclosures. I can only imagine how fantastic those subs are going to sound.

I bet that poor Behringer feels intimidated by all those Crests directly above it

Now don't discount that EP2500, it still pounds things plenty heavy for the single TC-3K ti, which is 3ft from the LP. Gives that extra bit of rumble for reality, a buttkicker if you will. Once these new boxes are in place, we'll see if I even need that back there anymore. Gunna have a hard time giving it up...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.