Studio and Year: Disney/Pixar - 2010
MPAA Rating: G
Feature running time: 103 minutes
Genre: Family/Animation

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1.78:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio, French/Spanish Dolby Digital EX 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring: Tom Hanks, Tim Allen, Annie Potts, Don Rickles, John Ratzenberger, Jim Varney, Wallace Shawn, Laurie Metcalf, R. Lee Emery, Joan Cusack, Estelle Harris, Michael Keaton, Ned Beatty, Bonnie Hunt, Jeff Garlin, Richard Kind, Whoopi Goldberg
Directed by: Lee Unkrich
Music by: Randy Newman
Written by: John Lasseter, Andrew Stanton, Lee Unkrich
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: November 2, 2010

"The Great Escape"

Film Synopsis:

Toy Story 3 welcomes Woody (voice of Tom Hanks), Buzz (voice of Tim Allen) and the whole gang back as Andy prepares to depart for college and his loyal toys find themselves in daycare! These untamed tots with their sticky little fingers do not play nice, so it's all for one and one for all as plans for the great escape get underway. More than a few new facessome plastic, some plushjoin the adventure, including iconic swinging bachelor and Barbie's counterpart Ken (voice of Michael Keaton), a thespian hedgehog named Mr. Pricklepants (voice

of Timothy Dalton) and a pink, strawberry-scented teddy bear called Lots-o'-Huggin' Bear (voice of Ned Beatty).

My Take:

When Toy story 3 begins we find Andy's toys feeling neglected and vying for any attention from him, even if it means summoning him by pilfering his cell phone, then calling it to attract him. Andy is headed off to college and his mother urges him to get rid of/donate any unwanted items/toys and those he wishes to keep should be moved to the attic. Due to a mix up Andy's toys are inadvertently donated to Sunnyside Daycare. Woody, knowing the truth about what happened tries to convince Buzz, The Potatoheads, Rex, Jessie, Ham, and Slink that it was a misunderstanding and that they should return to Andy's house. After receiving a warm welcome from the toys at Sunnyside, led by Lots-O'-Huggin' Bear (Lotso), they decide they are happier at Sunnyside. Reluctantly Woody leaves without them but accidentally comes into the possession of an imaginative and sweet little girl named Bonnie.

Meanwhile the others soon discover that the playroom Lotso intentionally assigned them to is filled with younger children who innocently make their lives miserable. At Bonnie's house Woody is befriended by her toys and learns the truth about Lotso and what goes on at Sunnyside after hours. With their help he returns to Sunnyside and along with the gang devises a plan of escape. They discover there are a few obstacles that stand in their way. First, Lotso doesn't want them to leave and uses his minions lead by enforcer Big Baby to keep them in line. Second, the daycare is locked down tight at night and is surrounded by an eight foot wall. Lastly, Lotso resets Buzz to once again believe that he is a Space Ranger, and uses him to help imprison the others. With Andy leaving for college the next day time is running out. Lotso may be a cuddly bear but his treachery knowing no bounds. If they are going to succeed in their most dangerous adventure yet the gang will have to pull together like never before.
I must admit to be very surprised when I saw that Disney/Pixar would be releasing Toy Story 3 in 2010. I love the first two films and couldn't help but wonder why the need for a third after eleven years. As a family we are all fans of Toy Story so when Toy Story 3 hit theaters earlier this year we all went. I have said it before and I will again, I don't know how Pixar does it. Toy Story 3 re-captures the essence of the first two films and is emotionally stirring, with a multi-dimensional story that has the ability to touch audiences at both the adult and child levels. It stimulates our imaginations while integrating thematic elements that relate to real life experiences/feelings of devotion, teamwork, friendship, and love. It is easy to be drawn in by its captivating charm, intelligent wit, and heartwarming innocence. Like the two previous films Toy Story 3 is filled with well constructed characters and cleverly infused dialogue that make it fetching and fun. Most of the central characters return while a few are notably missing (Bo Peep among them). This film features the largest assemblage of toys yet and makes for lots of fun. My favorite among the new faces is Ken (as in Barbie/Ken). Voiced by Michael Keaton Ken literally steals every scene he is in. Bonnie, the loving, imaginative little girl is the film's resident cutie/heartbreaker. The main players in Woody, Buzz, Jessie, Bullseye, Potato head/wife, Ham, Rex, and Slinky are typically engaging, funny and charming. Of the three films I found this one to be the most emotionally stirring especially regarding the crossroad faced by Woody and Andy. Its heartwarming depiction of their enduring friendship which has served as the foundation that has supported those around them (from a toys perspective) is evocative and moving. Everyone with the exception of Jim Varney (rest his soul) reprises their roles from the first film and the new cast members, Ned Beatty and Michael Keaton do a terrific job and seem perfectly mated to their respective characters. Each has their moment to shine and does so convincingly. Toy Story 3 is an endearing, timeless and classic animated film that can be shared and enjoyed from one generation to the next. Like its predecessors it has found a place in my heart and on my shelf. Thank you to Disney/Pixar for bringing it to Blu-ray with tender loving care as it looks and sounds spectacular in high definition.

Parental Guide:

This is a family film that can be enjoyed by all.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 100

• Dynamics:

• Low frequency extension:

• Surround Sound presentation:

• Clarity/Detail:

• Dialogue Reproduction:

Video: 100

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity:

• Black level/Shadow detail:

• Color reproduction:

• Fleshtones:

• Compression:

Toy story 3 comes to Blu-ray Disc from Disney/Pixar featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 23 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 5.4 Mbps.

Of the three Toy Story films this one looks the best on Blu-ray in my humble opinion. This is a stunning and reference quality high definition presentation that delivers flawless imagery. The video quality is visually arresting in its depiction of the film's animated elements. Detail and definition is impeccably rendered as images have a luminous and sparkling clarity that is appreciably three dimensional. It never left me wanting for fine degrees of subtle delineation and texture. The attention to detail in the construction of the animated characters physical features as well as objects within each frame is superb. I couldn't get over the depth of the beautifully rendered colors. Colors are deeply saturated with lustrous vibrancy and succulent textures that literally leap off of the screen. Primaries are particularly striking and exhibit visible gradational stages that bring out subtle degrees of separation.

Each of the characters has distinctive physical qualities that are attributable to them not only in size and shape but color as well. Blacks are inky with extended dynamic range and deep gradational highlights. The dark and shadow filled confines of the closed toy box, open expanse of the darkened Sunnyside playroom, or the drop ceiling crawl space (where Woody re-enters from) exhibit a near infinite level of dimension, with superb contrast and visible shading that drew out lots of detail. I was blown away by this high definition presentation and feel that this presentation bests the theatrical one that I saw earlier this year.

The DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio sound on this disc is reference quality and sounds superb. The film's opening rescue/train sequence is an aurally stimulating treat that serves as a precursor for what you can expect. This sequence has aggressive elements that feature low frequency effects and extended dynamics that produce deep, demonstrative bass transients capable of room shaking levels. This animated film uses an intricate sound design that has to maintain a delicate balance so the plethora of sound effects, music and dialogue within the soundtrack can be clearly and easily interpreted by the audience. Dialogue is distinctly perceptible and well articulated so that even subtle changes in the inflection of the voices among the cast was detectable.

Sound effects are accurately placed within the sound field and establish a tight correlation between the onscreen information and what is being heard within the listening environment. This creates an immersive, active and involving soundscape that is abundantly rich in detail. Its wide dynamic range can go from subtle, intricate control to room energizing dynamism. Low frequencies underscore sound effects and reinforce the dynamic impact of the audio. Response is authoritative, clean and on occasion prodigious as it fills the room with deep, tactile, low level bass energy. Randy Newman's emotive and wonderful music score sometimes takes center stage and is reproduced with high level detail and smooth, strident free treble. I found this to be a superlative mix that creates a stable and immersive surround sound experience that achieves excellent balance so that all of the elements inherent in the recording can be realized.

This is a stellar and reference quality high definition presentation from Disney/Pixar that offers breathtaking video and magnificent lossless sound. Kudos to Disney for continuing to raise the bar by offering demonstration quality Blu-ray Disc releases of the highest order.

Bonus Features:

• Disc 1:

• (HD) Day and night theatrical short - 6 minutes

• (HD) Buzz Lightyear mission logs: The science of adventure - 4 minutes

• (HD) Toys! - 6 minute featurette

• Disc 2 (BD-50):

• (HD) Cine-explore - Picture-in-picture commentary

• (HD) Beyond the toy box: An alternative audio commentary track - Track leads from the story, technical aspects, art design and more

• (HD) The gang's all here featurette - 10 minutes

• (HD) Goodbye Andy featurette - 8 minutes

• (HD) Accidental toymakers featurette - 4 minutes

• (HD) A toy's eye view: creating a whole new land featurette - 5 minutes

• (HD) epilogue - 4 minutes

• (HD) Roundin' up a western opening featurette - 5 minutes

• (HD) Bonnie's playtime: A story roundtable - 6 minutes

• (HD) Beginnings: Setting a story in motion featurette - 8 minutes

• (HD) Life of a shot featurette - 7 minutes

• (HD) Making of Day and night - 2 minutes

• (HD) Studio stories (6 minutes):

1. Where's Gordon
    2. Cereal bar
    3. Clean start
  • (HD) Interactive game: Toy story trivia dash

• Publicity - Trailers, character interviews, Grab bag, Ken's dating tips and more

• BD-Live enabled

• Bonus DVD of Toy story 3 including Bonus content

• Digital Copy Bonus Disc of Toy Story 3

Final Thoughts:

Toy story 3 follows in the footsteps of its predecessors and features a rich, multi-dimensional narrative that includes memorable new characters while infusing a broader, perilous and emotionally stirring story that proves very rewarding, especially if you're a devoted fan. It's a marvelous family film with an endearing charm that people of all ages can enjoy. Toy Story 3 comes to Blu-ray Disc boasting superlative high definition audio/video quality that fans and home theater enthusiasts can revel in. Add to that a host of entertaining and informative bonus supplements and you have a well rounded offering from Disney/Pixar that proves once again that great things can come in little packages. Enjoy!

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS20 1080p High Definition Front Projector (Calibrated by Jeff Meier)

Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100 16x9 Screen

Anthem AVM50v THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor

Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier

Oppo BDP-83 Universal disc/Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)

Samsung BD-C7900 Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)

Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)

Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)

Philips TSU9400 Pro Series Touch Panel Remote Control

Canton "Ergo" Series speakers

Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers

SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)

APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector

Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator

Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Better Cables, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling

Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

See less See more
#4 ·
Will be getting this one on Tuesday. Great review!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmpharmacist /forum/post/19404134

Awesome! Just printed the $8 coupon a few hours ago. Now I know I've got to have it. Thanks Ralph!

Where does one obtain said coupon?

#5 ·
This has been a must-buy all along; glad to know the presentation is as good as it gets.

#14 ·
Ralph,

As you can see, I took your advice and finally registered!

Since I've had Toy Story 3 pre-ordered since day one, I only needed to see your score to justify my purchase. Now I just can't wait to get it and enjoy it. A 205 score (100 video, 100 audio and 5 stars for the movie itself) is phenomenal, and I know it won't let me down.

Thanks for the vote of confidence.

P.S. It's nice to see there's a spell checking function for postings

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpellChecker /forum/post/19405318

Ralph,

As you can see, I took your advice and finally registered!

Since I've had Toy Story 3 pre-ordered since day one, I only needed to see your score to justify my purchase. Now I just can't wait to get it and enjoy it. A 205 score (100 video, 100 audio and 5 stars for the movie itself) is phenomenal, and I know it won't let me down.

Thanks for the vote of confidence.

P.S. It's nice to see there's a spell checking function for postings

Greetings,

Welcome (officially) to AVS SpellChecker!

Enjoy Toy Story 3. It's a real treat on Blu-ray.

Regards,

#16 ·
Wow, wish I would have know about spull check earlier, I always just copied and pasted into word to check, then pasted back

I took my son to see this opening day on his 4th birthday and we loved it; watched it in 3D, but the whole time I was watching it, I kept saying to myself, "I can't wait to see how this looks and sounds on Blu ray". We have TS1 and TS2 on Blu, so naturally we have to buy TS3; glad it's a no brainer; thanks for the fantastic review Ralph.

Josh

#17 ·
I love Pixar. This is definitely an owner. I already have my TS3 ironpack waiting for Woody, Buzz and the rest of the gang. And a 100/100 is icing on the cake.
Thanks Ralph.

#20 ·
Great review of a great movie.

When I saw it in the theater I couldn't believe how much this movie touched me and how emotional I got.

I was wondering why they have decided not to release it in 3D at this time, and then I remembered back to seeing it in the theater where the only thing that did not impress me was the 3D in the movie. For most of the movie the 3D was non existent.

But with that said this is one I am going to order and who knows when the 3D is available I might grab that one too, this one is a great one to show to your kids and grand kids to teach them what loyalty really is.

#21 ·
Excellent review once again Ralph. This is a no doubter that it would score 100's. The first 2 films blew me away both video and audio wise. Can't wait to pop this one in next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Greczkowski /forum/post/19406510

I was wondering why they have decided not to release it in 3D at this time, and then I remembered back to seeing it in the theater where the only thing that did not impress me was the 3D in the movie. For most of the movie the 3D was non existent.

Scott, I felt this way too at times when I saw it in 3D at the theaters. Some scenes were great where others seemed to be lacking 3D depth. I would imagine, however, that this movie would look great on Blu-ray 3D. I'm definitely thinking about getting a 3D set, but firstly, prices have to come down. Secondly, there needs to be more content.

#22 ·
Damn, my wallet is taking a hit lately.

Thanks Ralph, The double-barrel honies make it a no-brainer! Look forward to this release, and will pre-order ASAP.

#25 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SbWillie /forum/post/0

I have yet to see TS3 but my girls all consider this movie their all time favorite animated flick....and hopefully Disney has their $10 coupon to go with it!

For this movie the Disney coupon is $8 instead of $10. Still $8 off is better than a kick in the head.

#26 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Greczkowski /forum/post/19406510

Great review of a great movie.

When I saw it in the theater I couldn't believe how much this movie touched me and how emotional I got.

But with that said this is one I am going to order and who knows when the 3D is available I might grab that one too, this one is a great one to show to your kids and grand kids to teach them what loyalty really is.

I saw it in 3D and it didnt even need to be in 3D it was horrible. Im looking forward to see it in 2D in its full glory.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.