AVS Forum banner

Your screen size/throw/seating distance

23K views 73 replies 57 participants last post by  bud16415 
#1 ·
I have been reading on this forum for ever and seem to run across the same questions in EVERY thread so may I suggest we make an attempt to eliminate further "What screen screen size, gain, etc. should I get?" threads by informing readers on the decisions we have made, and if we feel we made the correct choices....

With that:

1) What projector are you using? JVC RS40

2) What is your throw distance? 12'

3) What is your seating distance? 8 1/2'

4) What screen: size brand, aspect ratio, and gain? Currently Undecided

5) If you were buying a new screen would you go bigger, smaller, or same size? Not sure yet...

#3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobuyersremorse /forum/post/19617952

I have been reading on this forum for ever and seem to run across the same questions in EVERY thread so may I suggest we start a sticky thread and keep these questions isolated in one thread....

With that:

1) What projector are you using?

2) What is your throw distance?

3) What is your seating distance?

4) What screen: size brand and gain?

5) If you were buying a new screen would you go bigger, smaller, or same size?

1)...Epson 9700 ub..... if i would change it would be a Epson 61000 or a Mits 9000 Both have Powered Zoom.. I hate the manual Zoom on the 9700..

2)...13.8 ft from lens to screen.

3)....16.5-17.5 ft

4).....SI BD .8 Gain 113inch

5)......Same

#6 ·

Mitsubishi xd460u xga resolution dlp darkchip3 with very old lamp.

156"

96"

96" x 54" (1.85:1) screen, 110" diagonal

Goodshin 4:3 120" (8ft x 6ft) tripod projection screen, glass beaded retroreflective (2.5 gain, measured +/-5 degrees vertical +/-7.5 degrees horizontal according to the manual, with a half gain viewing arc of 35 degrees (+/-17.5)) fixed to wall as 93"x50.3" screen

Bigger and maybe sit a bit further back, thinking of converting garage into cinema room.

#7 ·

Quote:

I have been reading on this forum for ever and seem to run across the same questions in EVERY thread so may I suggest we start a sticky thread and keep these questions isolated in one thread....

With that:

1) JVC RS20 projector. Works brilliantly in my set up especially with the remote controlled lens features for zoom/focus/lens shift (and the variable aperture).

2) 13 1/2 feet.

3) About 10 1/2 feet depending on where one sits on the viewing sofa.

4) Screen: Stewart ST-130 white screen 1.3 gain. Screen size: Variable Image Size. I use 4 way automated masking to alter the screen size and shape as I wish. Screen size can vary from around 100" diagonal (or smaller) 16:9 images to around 135" diagonal 16:9 images. CinemaScope images from around 99" wide to 124" (just over 10 feet wide).

5) That question is one of the reasons I bought the biggest screen that would fit on my wall and went with variable image size. I never have to think about that question, so no regrets.
As it happens I really enjoy a wide variety of image sizes. Sometimes the picture at 102" diagonal is so dense and sharp and punchy it has almost a giant plasma vibe that is very exciting. But then a huge 135" image is an entirely different experience and feels almost IMAX-like in a you-are-there vibe. And I like everything in between for various reasons. Either I like variety or I'm just not good at making decisions.

#11 ·

Quote:

With that:

1) Epson 8700ub or JVC-HD250

2) 12' Throw

3) 11' Seating distance

4) 100" or 106" or 110" or 119" Da Lite HP 2.4 gain

5) I am assuming if I get anything other then the largest screen I can squeeze in with my throw distance I will end up wishing I went larger.

I started this thread because I have had trouble deciding which screen size to go with and upon reading literally over a hundred of hours of threads I see the same question asked on almose every page of every thread I read. I feel that this thread could help me and hundreds of others in the future make good decisions.

The main issue I am having is with both projectors if I do the min zoom to get a 119" screen. I worry it will hurt the picture quality and kill the black levels and contrast. I could change around my living room and throw from 16' but then I could loose alot of the brightness. Ultimatly reading what others have and if they feel they made the right decision is much better then typing your seating distance into a calculator that gives a screen size based on the back row of a theatre. Thank you for all of your replies, I think once we get a couple hundred posts on this thread noobs like myself will be able to make decisions based on what the majority currently has or wish they had.

#12 ·
1) What projector are you using? JVC RS10

2) What is your throw distance? 20ft

3) What is your seating distance? 11', 18' and 21'

4) What screen: size brand and gain? Dalite electric Cosmopolitan 2.8 Highpower. Constant Image Area setup. 126" diag scope and 116" 16x9 screen area. 40 square feet of viewable screen area for both aspect ratios.

5) If you were buying a new screen would you go bigger, smaller, or same size? Wouldn't change a thing

#14 ·
1) What projector are you using? Epson 8500UB

2) What is your throw distance? 16'

3) What is your seating distance? 13'

4) What screen: size brand and gain? Elite 120" 1.1 Gain

5) If you were buying a new screen would you go bigger, smaller, or same size? Larger, but I will change out to a new projector this year and may go with a 2:35 screen with masking system

#16 ·
Since Sneill asked nicely

1. Epson 8100

2. Throw distance = 14'

3. Seat distance 11' (and eventually a second row at 17')

4. Elite fixed 120" Cinewhite 1.1 gain

5. Feels just right. I would eventually like to go to AT for speaker issues, but would leave size alone for THIS room (12x20)

#17 ·
1. Infocus 4805

2. Throw is 16' Ceiling Mount

3. First seating 12', second, 17' on 6" riser

4. Screen is Draper M2500 old version ~2 gain 110"

5. Axiom M80's, HSU subs etc

in the next few weeks this will change to

as of Jan 2011

1. Epson 8350

2. 12'6 throw, Ceiling mount, 12" drop, 7'5" ceilings, 12'3 x 19' room

3. Same seating

4. 110" Dalite High Power 2.4

#18 ·

Dwin Transvision 4

12 1/2 feet

12 1/2 feet

100 inch Draper Cineperm HiDef Grey with 0.8 gain

I would buy the same screen model, but I think I would go with the 92 inch. I find movies to be fine on the 100 inch, but I also play a lot of Xbox and I find it a bit to overwhelming at times.

#19 ·
1) What projector are you using? PANASONIC 4000

2) What is your throw distance? 12.5 ft

3) What is your seating distance? 12 ft

4) What screen: size brand and gain? 103 or 115 Elite 1.1 2.35:1

5) If you were buying a new screen would you go bigger, smaller, or same size? I'M TORN ON WHAT SIZE I SHOULD GET. IS 115 OVERKILL OR PERFECT. 99% MOVIE WATCHING.

ANY SUGGESTIONS.

#20 ·
Here's mine:

1) What projector are you using? - Panasonic ae1000u

2) What is your throw distance? - 12.5 ft

3) What is your seating distance? - 10 ft

4) What screen: size brand and gain? - 106" diagonal, DIY Gray sheet 2.40:1,

curve, DYI lense

5) If you were buying a new screen would you go bigger, smaller, or same

size? - 120" dia max

#21 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by streaker76 /forum/post/19773532

1) 4) What screen: size brand and gain? 103 or 115 Elite 1.1 2.35:1

5) If you were buying a new screen would you go bigger, smaller, or same size? I'M TORN ON WHAT SIZE I SHOULD GET. IS 115 OVERKILL OR PERFECT. 99% MOVIE WATCHING.

ANY SUGGESTIONS.

Never heard anyone who has lived with a screen for awhile say "Gee, I wish I had gone smaller"

115" is not too big at 12', especially in 2.35:1. I run 120" 16:9 at 11' and the kids are complaining it should be bigger. Personally, I think it is perfect.

#22 ·
Here's mine:

1) What projector are you using? - Sony VPL-VW60

2) What is your throw distance? ~11.5 feet

3) What is your seating distance? - 8-10 feet

4) What screen: size brand and gain? - 92" DIY(shoppingdeals/ebay) 1.2 gain

5) If you were buying a new screen would you go bigger, smaller, or same

size? - same, room limitations.

#24 ·
Well, I'm in the midst of my build so this probably won't be particularly helpful to anyone, but here's what I'm planning...

1) What projector are you using? Optoma HD20

2) What is your throw distance? 11'

3) What is your seating distance? 9'

4) What screen: size brand and gain? Currently researching material for DIY AT, planning 117" diagonal 2.39:1

5) If you were buying a new screen would you go bigger, smaller, or same size? Can't say yet.

I know this thread is intended to reduce the repeat questions, rather than generate new ones, so apologies in advance if this should go somewhere else.

#25 ·
1) What projector are you using? JVC RS20 with Prismasonic 5000 A-lens

2) What is your throw distance? 16 feet

3) What is your seating distance? 10 feet and 17 feet

4) What screen: size brand and gain? 136" Carada 1.4 with Carada Masking System

5) If you were buying a new screen would you go bigger, smaller, or same size? Same

#26 ·
Recently upgraded to my 3rd pj to a 1080p one, I swapped out my Carada High Contrast Grey surface to Classic Cinema White surface and could not be more pleased!

1) What projector are you using? Sharp Vision XV-Z15000

2) What is your throw distance? 9.5 feet

3) What is your seating distance? 10 feet

4) What screen: size brand and gain? 88" Carada 1.0

5) If you were buying a new screen would you go bigger, smaller, or same size? Same

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.