Feature running time: 88 minutes/104 minutes
Genre: Sci-Fi TV Drama

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1.78:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring: Edward James Olmos, Mary McDonnell, Katee Sackhoff, Jamie Bamber, James Callis, Tricia Helfer, Grace Park, Michelle Forbes
Directed by: Felix Alcala
Written by: Michael Taylor
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: December 28, 2010

"So say we all"

Film Synopsis:

On the eve of a devastating Cylon attack, officer Kendra Shaw reports for duty on the battlestar Pegasus. When mankind's future is forever changed on that fateful day, Kendra is reshaped into a "razor" - a tool of war - under the ruthless guidance of her commander, Admiral Cain. Battlestar Galactica: Razor tells the untold story of Pegasus and provides chilling clues to the fate of humanity as the final chapters of the Battlestar Galactica story unfold.

My Take:

I am not well versed in the world of Battlestar Galactica but I enjoy sci-fi television and having seen bits and pieces of the show went into this review with an open mind. Battlestar Galactica is a re-imagining of the original TV series which began in the late 1970's. The show ran from December 2003 through March 2009 and is set in a distant part of the galaxy, where a civilization of humans live on a series of planets known as the Twelve Colonies. In the past, the Colonies had been at war with a cybernetic race known as the Cylons who launch a sneak attack on the Colonies, laying waste to the planets and devastating their populations. The 50,000 human that survive flee into space. Of all the Colonial Fleet, the Battlestar Galactica appears to be the only military capital ship that survived the attack. Under the leadership of Colonial Fleet officer Commander William "Bill" Adama and President Laura Roslin, the Galactica and its crew take up the task of leading the small fugitive fleet of survivors into space in search of Earth.
Razor is a television movie that was broadcast in the gap between Seasons 3 and 4. Razor is technically the first two episodes of Season 4 though it chronicles events on Battlestar Pegasus in two time periods, both of which are set in the past with respect to the Season 4's storyline. The present day scenes are set during Lee Adama's command, in the latter half of Season 2, while flashback scenes depict Helena Cain's command in the period between the Cylon attack and the reunion with Galactica in the second season episode Pegasus.

I didn't have any trouble following the story and understanding the dynamics of the relationships among the principle characters. It is apparent that the show plays out similarly to other programming of its type. This movie a typical but engaging sci-fi based narrative that is built around strong female characters and a good balance of drama and action. The multi-layered plotline offers fans a bit more perspective on established characters as well as expounding on events in the present. As a novice, Battlestar Galactica: Razor probably didn't have the impact on me that it would on a devotee but I enjoyed it nonetheless. It is offered here in an unrated extended edition that contains both the original broadcast and extended edition which adds 16 additional minutes that is integrated via seamless branching.

Parental Guide:

This film contains sci-fi violence and thematic material that would be inappropriate for young viewers.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 86

• Dynamics:

• Low frequency extension:

• Surround Sound presentation:

• Clarity/Detail:

• Dialogue Reproduction:

Video: 84

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity:

• Black level/Shadow detail:

• Color reproduction:

• Fleshtones:

• Compression:

Battlestar Galactica: Razor comes to Blu-ray Disc from Universal Studios featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 21 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.5 Mbps.

The show was shot on high definition video and utilizes a stylized visual design that has a limited color scheme and noticeably grainy aesthetic. The color range is comprised primarily of shades of dark blue, gray and black with splashes of crimson red, and muted sepia tones. Uneven light and shading are prevalent. Contrast is spot on which empowers whites and grays without washing away detail. Whites are snappy and crisp and grays are multi-staged and layered. Black levels are slightly elevated which leaves dark onscreen elements appearing a bit flat but based upon the show's visual design I didn't see it as a problem. The show was largely shot against green screens which softens some of the background elements during wide angle pans but again it works well enough within the parameters of the show's intended look and doesnt prove distracting. Overall I found the quality of the video to be high. It wasn't always razor sharp but it was cleanly rendered with plenty of subtle refinement that aided in the perception of detail.

I have been pleased with the quality of the audio I have been seeing from TV based soundtracks and this one is no exception. The DTS-HD MA surround mix contains a good blend of discrete/ambient surround activity that varies in intensity. Soundstage depth is discerning as the audio mix offers excellent front channel separation and room spanning directionality. Dynamic range is extended which provides visceral energy to active sound effects/LFE. Bass is well defined and exhibits room filling energy and palpable extension. Dialogue is intelligible and crisp but not quite as prominent within the front soundstage as I would have preferred.

Bonus Features:

• Deleted scenes

• The look of Battlestar Galactica - 8 minute featurette

• My favorite episode so far - 10 minute featurette

• Season Four sneak peek

• Season Four trailer

• 7 minisodes (totaling 19 minutes)

• Feature commentary with executive producer Ronald D. Moore and writer Michael Taylor

• U-Control:

1. The Oracle - Interactive bonus view guide
    2. Battlestar Actual - Bonus view Glossary to all of the unique Battlestar Galatica terms
  • BD-Live enabled features:

1. Battlestar Galactica trivia challenge
    2. Battlestar Galactica ultimate battle card strategy challenge

Final Thoughts:

Battlestar Galactica: Razor is a television movie based on the popular SyFy TV series Battlestar Galactica. It was originally broadcast in the gap between the show's Seasons 3 and 4 and chronicles events on Battlestar Pegasus in two time periods which are set in the past with respect to the Season 4's storyline. As a novice to the Battlestar Galactica universe I didn't have any trouble following the storyline and appreciated its engaging characters and well balanced sci-fi based narrative. It comes to Blu-ray Disc from Universal Home Entertainment featuring faithful high definition video quality, excellent lossless surround sound and a fan friendly mix of bonus features that are worth exploring. Battlestar Galactica: Razor is a solid Blu-ray offering that comes recommended for fans of the show.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS50 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector

Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100 16x9 Screen

Anthem AVM50v THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor

Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier

Oppo BDP-83 Universal disc/Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)

Samsung BD-C7900 Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)

Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)

Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)

System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule HD Universal Remote Control

Canton "Ergo" Series speakers

Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers

SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)

APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector

Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator

Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Better Cables, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling

Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

See less See more
#5 ·
++2 on the suggestion to watch the series. Particularly seasons 1 and 2 are much better than Razor. I was not that impressed with Razor myself, from a standpoint of story.

The complete series BD set includes both the broadcast version and extended/unrated version of Razor.

#6 ·
In a decade of "wtf were they thinking" remakes, reboots and reimaginings, the new telling of Battlestar Galactica was a fantastic breath of fresh air and delivered on all fronts. Well worth investing your time into, and a very rewarding experience (final episode notwithstanding).

#7 ·
Aside from all the collectors edition paraphernalia, are the two versions of the Complete Series on Blu-Ray actually different formats? It appears that the Collectors edition is 1.78.1 and DTS-HD master, while the other "Complete" box is 1.77.1 and DTS Surround Sound (not HD Master). On my system (Pioneer Blu-Ray) the DTS-HD Master has sounded very good. But the less expensive box set only says DTS Surround. And, if I might ask, what is going to be the difference in viewing 1.77.1 versus 1.78.1 ??

Thanks in advance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.