AVS Forum banner

Tamara Drewe (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review

4K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Mr.G 
#1 ·

The Review at a Glance: ( max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/Video total rating:

( Max score: 100 )

Studio and Year: Sony Pictures Classics- 2010
MPAA Rating: R
Feature running time: 111 minutes
Genre: Comedy/Drama

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English, French (PAR) DTS-HD MA 5.1
Subtitles: English, English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring: Gemma Arterton, Roger Allum, Bill Camp, Dominic Cooper, Luke Evans
Directed by: Stephen Frears
Music by: Alexandre Desplat
Written by: Moira Buffini (Screenplay), Posy Simmonds (Graphic Novel)
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: February 8, 2011

"A New Comedy About Love Sex and A Nose Job."

Film Synopsis:

When journalist Tamara Drewe returns to her parents' house with a new assignment - and a new nose - she sets the surrounding countryside's male hearts aflame, breaking the picturesque tranquility and transforming the village of her youth into a swirling maelstrom of temptation, seduction, and tawdry gossip.

My Take:

'Tamara Drewe' is yet another perfect self-confidence booster for young woman all across the world. After being away for a long time, Tamara Drewe returns home looking amazing...but thats thanks to a fantastic nose job. Back when she lived in the quaint English village, her nick name was "beaky". Now all the men want her, she knows it, flaunts it and gets what she wants. Thats the main thread in 'Tamara Drewe'. Thankfully the film has some other story-lines that I found to be more satisfying then watching the main character.

Tamara's (Gemma Arterton - Clash of the Titans, Quantum of Solace) family home is neighboring a writers retreat run by renowned author Nicholas Hardimant and his wife Beth. Her surprise reappearing, to sell her families estate, throws the couple into a tailspin, further opening the existing cracks in their relationship, as well captivating attention of her old high school ex and one of the biggest rock stars in Brittan. Love triangles, heart breaks and some funny scenes, courtesy of two 14 year old groupie girls of Tamara's Rock Star boyfriend, ensue culminating in the weightless, non-emotional obvious ending.

I can see where the interest lied in making this film adaptation of of Posy Simmonds graphic novel, unfortunately it didn't translate well to film. When I am more interested in what is happening with the secondary characters, not our films namesake, something is slightly a miss. This could be attributed to the great casting of Roger Allam (The Queen) and Tamsin Greig (Shaun of the Dead) as the Hardimants, or to the show stealing Jessica Barden as one of the groupie girls. Director Stephen Frears (Dangerous Liaisons, The Queen) did a commendable job with the material, but the film never excelled and any area. It had humor but was rarely funny. It had drama but never made me care about the characters. It had romance but was far from romantic.

Parental Guide:

Rated R for language and some sexuality.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 84

• Dynamics:

• Low frequency extension:

• Surround Sound presentation:

• Clarity/Detail:

• Dialogue Reproduction:

Video: 88

• Resolution/Clarity:

• Black level/Shadow detail:

• Color reproduction:

• Fleshtones:

• Compression:
'Tamara Drewe' comes to Blu-ray Disc from Sony Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 27mbps and DTS-HD MA 5.1 Surround Sound that has an average bitrate of 2.6 mbps.

Sony delivers another beautiful new release with 'Tamara Drewe'. The film had a dull overcast to it, but I attribute that to the English countryside's famed weather. In that case it was a realistic color palette, with flesh-tones that bordered ghostly pale. The high resolution was taken advantage of, with details appearing on long shots as well as close-ups. Black levels were strong, never showing any real weakness. Audio-wise I was just as happy. The live concert scene shows this lossless tracks legs, have a transparent and dynamic stereo spread while nicely utilizing the effects speakers. The best I can describe what I head was sharp. Everything was well rounded and articulate, all sitting in the proper piece in the sound-stage. I quite enjoyed this films look and thought Sony did a nice job with this release.

Bonus Features:

• Audio Commentary with Gemma Arterton & Luke Evans

• (HD) The Making of Tamara Drewe

• (HD) Reconstructing Tamara Drewe

• (HD) Trailers: A Man A Woman and A Noodle Shop, I Get Low, Made In Dagenham, You Will Meet A Tall Dark Stranger, Barney;s Version

• BD Live enabled

Final Thoughts:

I was pretty tough on 'Tamara Drewe' but it really isn't that bad. I thought its message of having the girl who surgically altered herself getting all she wanted a bit warped, though I feel that wasn't the intent. All the cards lined up, but 'Tamara Drewe' never fulfilled any one of its promises. It had humor but was rarely funny. It had drama but never made me care about the characters. It had romance but was far from romantic. At least 'Tamara Drewe'looked good, Gemma and the transfer from Sony. I can recommend a rental to interested parties, but dont think this is one to go seek out to hard.

Lee Weber
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS50 3D 1080p High Definition Front Projector

Custom 1.3 Gain 128" 2.37:1 CinemaScope Screen

Marantz AV7005 Pre/Pro

Emotiva UPA7 Amplifier

Sony PS3 Slim Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)

Triangle Zerius Speakers (7.1)

SVS PC13-Ultra Subwoofer

See less See more
#5 ·
I picked this one up after I saw it. I thought it had enough of everything to be charming and entertaining, and Frears did a great balancing act with all of the characters. I would argue that Drewe isn't meant to be the main character, she's just the centerpiece of an odd little community.

YMMV with this one, but I was surprised how much I enjoyed it. It has replay value. Definitely worth a rental for the curious.

#6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor2010
I haven't seen it, but wasn't it suppose to be a satire on many women's desire on consumerism and perfectionism?
Maybe it was int he graphic novel, but the only real instance of that is her cosmetic surgery making her hot and men falling for her...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oland
I picked this one up after I saw it. I thought it had enough of everything to be charming and entertaining, and Frears did a great balancing act with all of the characters. I would argue that Drewe isn't meant to be the main character, she's just the centerpiece of an odd little community.

YMMV with this one, but I was surprised how much I enjoyed it. It has replay value. Definitely worth a rental for the curious.
I see your point on her not being the centerpiece, but she really is. she has the most screen time and the film is named after her.

I am glad you enjoyed the film. Wasn't the little lead groupie girl great?

#8 ·
Stephen Frears is a terrific director. The film looks great and the British dialogue is understandable (that means great audio). I liked Tamara's charachter because she was more of a victim of her new looks, rather than shallow. There is a good message in her story and Gemma Arterton is wonderful. And yes, she has a great rear end.The groupie teener is a local, not an actress, who does a great job with her part. I liked this movie. Fire me, but it's a lot better than most of the new titles that are being released these days. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it more, Lee. That's movies!

#10 ·
Watched a rental last night with my wife and we both enjoyed it. Even though I don't see any need to buy it if it were to show up on cable someday I'd probably watch it again. Gemma's character served to set everything in motion but was not the central point of the film. Interesting cast of characters and English humor. I briefly considered putting on the subtitles for the rock star's dialog but generally everyone else was easy to understand. This could be the first film where I've seen stampeding diary cows.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.