AVS Forum banner

Pioneer VSX-52 vs VSX-53

39K views 99 replies 28 participants last post by  neo samurai 
#1 ·
I tried searching for an existing thread, but couldn't find one.

I'm trying to decide what $200 buys when you go from the 52 to 53. I downloaded the PDFs for both units and the only differences I see are:

aluminum front panel

full band phase control

2 HDMI out

Zone 3 audio pre-out

IR

If these are the only differences between the two models, do you think they are worth $200 (over 20% more than the VSX-52)?

#27 ·
^^^

you do mean anamorphic lens, not 3d, correct?

fwiw, "regular working people" have been known to spend significant funds on a/v stuff... it's all a matter of priorities...

#28 ·
Hi ccotenj,

I had to chuckle when I read:
Quote:
fwiw, "regular working people" have been known to spend significant funds on a/v stuff... it's all a matter of priorities...

I can definitely relate..I have been in a Working Band ever since High School and I have invested well over $30,000.00 in Pro Gear and PA!

I tell people that hey, some people like to Golf (look at the $$ that they Spend) and some may like Classic Cars (Big $$$) etc...etc...

My thing is Music.. and yes, I will spend Crazy $$ to do so!

To each his or her own, we all have our Priorities as you say, and what really Floats our boat!

To me I see $5,000 for a projector and yet I will spend more than that on a Mixing Console or thousands on Home Speakers and I will spend that on JBL Speakers and not think twice!

So, my correction!

To each his own..though I will say, at least with my Pro Audio expenses, I do make $$ from Gigs to help pay for it!

I Probably have one of the few interests that can actually see a monetary return, (Which I usually put back into more Equipment..LOL! Never enough!) though some Fisherman and Golfers

can win Tournaments if they can get good enough!

Unfortunately exorbitant Home Theaters costing in the Thousands and Thousands can only reap the reward that one finds when they are immersed in their own created Video and Audio Aura!

I have no problem with them at all..Life is tough enough and whatever your release is I say go for it!

My Dad could never understand my Pro-Audio expenses!

Geez am I being my Dad when I made my previous statement! LOL!

So, I stand Corrected...Spend...Spend...Spend...LOL!

As long as you can still take care of your Family and pay your Bills..see there's my Dad again...Wow!

Have Great Day!

Bud B

#29 ·
Hi Image,

I'm Glad that you made your choice..I checked the specs..It is definitely no Elite VSX 52, but I am still hopeful that it will bring you much happiness!

If not don't forget that were always here!

What's that saying, "After you have tried the Rest, you can come back to the Best!" LOL!

I'm kidding..(No, I'm Not) Yes I am (No, I'm Not!) LOL..I guess that I'm torn!

OK, now get outta here and go find the thread for the Yamaha RXA-710Bl...LOL!

It was nice knowing ya!

The above is all in Fun..(Life is way too Short!) Have Great One and Enjoy your new Toy!

Bud B

PS. My Brother is a big Yamaha Receiver Fan...What the Hell does he know?!

#31 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud B /forum/post/20721718

Hi Image,

I'm Glad that you made your choice..I checked the specs..It is definitely no Elite VSX 52, but I am still hopeful that it will bring you much happiness!

If not don't forget that were always here!

What's that saying, "After you have tried the Rest, you can come back to the Best!" LOL!

I'm kidding..(No, I'm Not) Yes I am (No, I'm Not!) LOL..I guess that I'm torn!

OK, now get outta here and go find the thread for the Yamaha RXA-710Bl...LOL!

It was nice knowing ya!

The above is all in Fun..(Life is way too Short!) Have Great One and Enjoy your new Toy!

Bud B

PS. My Brother is a big Yamaha Receiver Fan...What the Hell does he know?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud B /forum/post/20721820

Hi all,

A few Pics of my Elite VSX 52.

Please note that this is not it's final resting place, just a quick setup location.

BWAHAHAHAHAHA...I knew this was coming...its all good Bud! Yea so far it is has given me a WOW factor for the price. It has tons of features and the onscreen GUI is incredible. I tried to grab a vsx-52 but got impatient and went for the AVENTAGE. It is the base entry model for the broke folks like me but I must say it IS impressive.

What all does the 52 have over the yamadog? I cant tell...haha.

BTW your 52 looks mighty nice!!

#35 ·
Hi Wild_Fyer,

Quote:
You think getting a Panamax M5400-PM will be worth the investment or worth it or necessary?

I about dropped my teeth after I Googled it and saw a price tag of $730.00!

Are you out of your mind!

There is no way that I would ever buy that..

Get a good Surge Protector and an Extended Warranty!

My Panamax was probably about $65.00 and that's it!

I lived in Florida where we call our power company FPL (Florida Power & Light) as Florida Flicker & Flash!

Not to mention all of our Hurricanes!

You have been going back and forth about putting your $$$ into a new HDTV and a VSX-521 or the purchase of the Elite VSX 52 and some Speakers,

because you cannot afford both the HDTV along with the Elite 52 and Speakers for a new Home Theater setup, and then you ask me a Crazy question like that?

Am I on Candid Forum?

You must be kidding right? OK..You got me.LOL! I give up!

You probably buy Monster Cable too..Right!

Bud B

#36 ·
From a Post in the VSX 1121 thread..

I had mentioned how the power cord does not go into the Elite VSX 52 very securely.

Fellow poster ccotenj responded,
Quote:
you can use the power cable with the ground plug... there's no issues doing that... it won't care...

So, I responded below..Just an FYI for the new owners.......

Howdy ccotenj,

You know sometimes you can't see the forest for the trees!

You are perfectly right, who cares that there is a Ground on the replacement power cord, it's just not used! So simple.

They are both shaped exactly the same whether it is a 2 Conductor or a 3 conductor with in this case, an un-used ground

I went into my power cord box (I have about 6 IEC power cords collected over the years) and I grabbed a couple of my grounded IEC cords...

Went to the E52 and swapped out the OEM cord for my Grounded IEC and it went in further and feels much more like an IEC cord into Gear should feel!!

I put the OEM 2 conductor power cord into my cord box!

Thanks ccotenj...If you have a spare one try it!

Later,

Bud B

#37 ·
Okay.. Okay.. BB salesman was trying to get me to buy it for my new 50" LED Samsung. I just wanted to get information, was a bit curious if it was worth it. I never really heard about power conditioners. I was thinking to myself and for others, just get the 4 year extended warranty and thats only $100 for 4 years or more depending on what you buy. You can buy 5 components with with extended warranty with that much you spend to keep whatever electronic safe.

Anyway, yup, E52 power cord doesn't really plug in really tight. I was wondering about that to. Thought I had an open box E52 and gave me the wrong power cord.

And no, I don't buy monster cables, good thing for forums and google. LOL.. But was funny how the BB salesman was trying to convince me to buy the monster HDMI for more superior picture along with the power conditioner. Come on.... Well they tried, gotta make a living some how.

#38 ·
I picked up a VSX-52 and was disappointed to find Pioneer has not updated their GUI/user interface since last year. The GUI looks almost identical to the SC-37 I tried last year. It is just as slow to go through my music files on my network (wired connection) and there is no way to go through them one page at a time. The volume level is not overlaid on my TV and the video and audio parameters are only displayed on the unit's display. I want to be able to sit back 12-15 feet and see how the settings affect the picture/audio, but I can't see the display from that distance. Why can't Pioneer overlay information on the TV screen? The HDMI handshake is the slowest among Onkyo, Denon, and Yamha, all of which I have tried in the past year or so.

I don't know if this is an isolated problem, but the power cable is EXTREMELY loose on this unit. After plugging it in, I lifted the receiver and shook it and the power cable came off. I bent the metal plugs on the unit with my hand to get a decent connection.

I love the look of the Pioneer and it sounds great, but I need a better user interface for my receiver.

#39 ·
CobelAli: Houston, we have a problem. Well not a problem.

But that sounds about right, power cord doesn't really snug in there for a tight fit. Not sure what the problem is because I didn't want to spend time with the power cord. I wanted to go straight to the options and hear what the system had to provide. GUI, yes, brings back memories back in the days when I worked out of DOS programming. But there should be an overlay of the volume, not sure why it isn't showing on yours.

#40 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild_Fyer /forum/post/20729011

CobelAli: Houston, we have a problem. Well not a problem.

But that sounds about right, power cord doesn't really snug in there for a tight fit. Not sure what the problem is because I didn't want to spend time with the power cord. I wanted to go straight to the options and hear what the system had to provide. GUI, yes, brings back memories back in the days when I worked out of DOS programming. But there should be an overlay of the volume, not sure why it isn't showing on yours.

No, there is definitely something wrong with either the cord or the plug on the receiver. I have a number of audio and computer equipment with the same type of cord and know how tight they are. A cord this loose is a fire hazard. I would have exchanged it if I were going to keep it, but I'm not keeping it.

With the SC-37, I contacted Pioneer and they told me the overlay only works with Kuro displays. I'm assuming it's the same with this model. The video and audio parameters are not overlaid, even on a Kuro.

#41 ·
CobelAli: Yes, i ment plug thats what i mean rather than cord, it doesn't completely snug in the connection. What's the deal, had me thinking it was out of the box item and got the wrong cord. LOL..

What I've found with Pioneer customer service. That they are not really helpful or knowledgable I think. I've asked for help regarding the HDMI standby mode and all they said was, it may not be compatible with the T.V.

But after playing around with the PS3, I got it to work.

CobelAli: Well i guess that's the general answer they always give. Not compatible and that's it.

There should be a volume overlay because it worked for my old 42" Samsung 1080i. I understand the GUI isn't overlayed.

#44 ·
Hi guys,

Since I have a Kuro and I setup HDMI Control, I do see the Volume on the Kuro.

I also have input and Surround Settings that show on my Kuro.

The pass through only works with HDMI Control ON.

One of the big reasons that I got the Pioneer Elite VSX 52 was because I DO have a Pioneer Kuro Plasma.

Also to be honest, with my VSX 1020 in my Bedroom and now my new VSX 52 with my Kuro, I have not used it for anything other than two inputs, HDMI for Cable and my HTPC.

I do use Sirius Radio and MP3 Tunes but through my HTPC and if I like, routed through my Pioneer and out to my HDTV.

So many different ways to do things in these technological days!

Because of this I do not use the GUI on any regular basis except for my initial setup!

If you check out the Videos on the Pioneer website, where this unit shines is with the display on a I-Pad, I-phone, Android etc with it's Air Play, Air Jam and I-Control 2 App's.

I also have a Bluetooth adapter coming for my E52

I do plan on getting an I-Pad to match with my E52..Numerous Apps and I can actually use it as my Universal Remote, Sound Field Adjust/Spec and GUI!

I have obviously wanted an I-Pad for awhile but with the new addition of my E52 it sure helps me rationalize another piece of equipment.

I'm holding out for the new (It's coming) I-Pad 3

There are lot's of App's for Pro-Audio as well, which comes in handy for my Stage Shows!

The E52 (as well as other Pioneer Models) is a unit that you or I can grow with!

When I was at a Magnolia Best Buy the Salesman showed me a Panasonic HDTV that supposedly relies heavily on Pioneer Technology!

We all knew that Panasonic had purchased Pioneer's HDTV (Kuro) Technology when Pioneer stopped manufacturing HDTV's and yet we have been waiting to see exactly what and how Panasonic would use it!

If so, then Panasonic's will probably mate very well with Pioneer A/V Equipment in the future.

Time will tell!

Lastly, I have a box of old IEC Cords from long dead Computer Monitors, etc..

In a post further up I mentioned that I just used one of those and removed the OEM Cord!

It has a ground on the cord but it is just not used!

The cord went in further and will definitely not shake out...plus what's with the shaking, do you live in earthquake territory?

I do not think that on their good day, Pioneer designed their power cord for the Shake Test! LOL! But it was very loose, not anymore!

When I do install my equipment I have 3 tie wrap routes. Power, Signal and Speaker, and the three do not meet!

It looks very neat and still very easy to work with if needed.

Bottom line, once Installation is complete, you COULD shake my entire AV Center with no cable problems.

So, I do not bear it any mind, what's that saying, Never S**T the Small Stuff!"

Or something like that..LOL!

I do agree..my E52 does Sound Great!

Crisp Highs, Smooth Mids and Deep Lows..Pop in a Blu-Ray, sit back and enjoy being Immersed in the Surrounds!

Speaking of that, it's Blu-Ray Friday Night!

Gotta Run...

Enjoy guys,

Bud B

#45 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild_Fyer /forum/post/20725201

Sorry guys/gals if i'm off the topic here a bit.

BUD B: You think getting a Panamax M5400-PM will be worth the investment or worth it or necessary?

If you are looking for a reasonable power conditioner/surge protector, checkout the Belkin PF60 and PF30. They can be found for $150 and $75 respectively. Look cool in black and assume they are doing the job. I have the PF60 and am very happy with it.

#46 ·
Hi all,

I just came across an interesting change of events.

I recently setup my Pioneer Kuro Plasma HDTV to my Pioneer Elite VSX 52 receiver via HDMI Control.

This morning I turned on my HTPC Computer that goes into HDMI 1 on my E52.

When the screen came up on my Kuro it was flickering and I knew exactly what the problem was..HDMI Control!

I turned off HDMI Control and my HTPC screen on my Kuro stopped flickering!

That does not happen with my Time Warner Cable Box DVR plugged into HDMI 2.

So why is that?

Is my Cable Box HDMI Control Active?

I know that my Computer is not.

With the Elite VSX 53 and the 2nd HDMI Out, when reading in the OP Manual under HDMI Control it states that with the VSX 53 only HDMI 1 Out can be setup with HDMI Control.

So, am I to believe that the VSX 53 is what I want, Cable Box and all HDMI Controllable Equipment would be routed to my Kuro via HDMI 1 Out.

And my HTPC would need to be routed through the E53 and then out via HDMI 2 and into a separate HDMI Input on my Kuro!

This would mean that whenever I used my HTPC I would need to change the HDMI Input on the E53 and also on my Kuro.

Which is not terrible, it is just a matter of two pushes, arrow on Elite Remote and # 5 one on my Kuro Remote and then back to #6 when I stop using my HTPC and arrow back to my TWC Cable Box.

The other option is to turn HDMI Control Off whenever I use my HTPC and then back On after.

Thankfully there is a HDMI Control button on my Kuro remote, one push each way as compared to 2 pushes each way.

So, it's get the E53 and change the HDMI INput for my Kuro or turn the HDMI Control Off and On and keep my E52.

Is it worth the $200.00 extra and the E53?

I'll try the HDMI Control Off for awhile and see how that goes...Just an FYI for HTPC Users out there and HDMI Control!

Later,

Bud B

#47 ·
The reason I shook the unit was to see how loose the plug was. I'm very familiar with these plugs and that's why this one was so unusual. My company manufactures industrial control panels and we have a very stringent torque requirements for all our connections. I have seen a number of competitor units catching fire due to loose connections. Maybe I'm a little paranoid, but I rather be safe than sorry.

I really like the sound of the receiver, but without a volume overlay or the ability to adjust video or audio settings, I can't keep it. As for apple stuff, I don't have any apple products so they are of no benefit to me.

#48 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud B /forum/post/20730591

Hi all,

I just came across an interesting change of events.

I recently setup my Pioneer Kuro Plasma HDTV to my Pioneer Elite VSX 52 receiver via HDMI Control.

This morning I turned on my HTPC Computer that goes into HDMI 1 on my E52.

When the screen came up on my Kuro it was flickering and I knew exactly what the problem was..HDMI Control!

I turned off HDMI Control and my HTPC screen on my Kuro stopped flickering!

That does not happen with my Time Warner Cable Box DVR plugged into HDMI 2.

So why is that?

Is my Cable Box HDMI Control Active?

I know that my Computer is not.

With the Elite VSX 53 and the 2nd HDMI Out, when reading in the OP Manual under HDMI Control it states that with the VSX 53 only HDMI 1 Out can be setup with HDMI Control.

So, am I to believe that the VSX 53 is what I want, Cable Box and all HDMI Controllable Equipment would be routed to my Kuro via HDMI 1 Out.

And my HTPC would need to be routed through the E53 and then out via HDMI 2 and into a separate HDMI Input on my Kuro!

This would mean that whenever I used my HTPC I would need to change the HDMI Input on the E53 and also on my Kuro.

Which is not terrible, it is just a matter of two pushes, arrow on Elite Remote and # 5 one on my Kuro Remote and then back to #6 when I stop using my HTPC and arrow back to my TWC Cable Box.

The other option is to turn HDMI Control Off whenever I use my HTPC and then back On after.

Thankfully there is a HDMI Control button on my Kuro remote, one push each way as compared to 2 pushes each way.

So, it's get the E53 and change the HDMI INput for my Kuro or turn the HDMI Control Off and On and keep my E52.

Is it worth the $200.00 extra and the E53?

I'll try the HDMI Control Off for awhile and see how that goes...Just an FYI for HTPC Users out there and HDMI Control!

Later,

Bud B

Who cares about HDMI control. Read any thread most have it off as it causes more problems then what eliminates. Enter Harmony and others to the rescue. Next.

#49 ·
Hi CobelAli,

You said,
Quote:
but without a volume overlay or the ability to adjust video or audio settings, I can't keep it.

WOW! I am blown away by that statement.

At least my Opinion and you know what they say about opinions, I have been dealing with Audio for more years than I want to Admit,

my take on it for Home Audio is:

When I want it Louder or Quieter I simply push the Volume Button on the Remote + or - and my Ears are better for Sound than anything that I can SEE,

they tell me when I have reached the desired Audio Level.

I would really rather not SEE it on my TV Screen.

For Video & Audio..again my Ears and Eyes help me out.

For Audio, the Elite VSX 52 has four buttons on the remote that deal with the various Sound fields..I have already found my 2 favorite.

ALC and Ext. Stereo, the two outside buttons.

If there is Surround material in the program, I use ALC but if there is none, then Ext. Stereo puts Audio into all of my speakers and excites my Surrounds.

Lastly as far as Video..Well the Elite VSX 52 does such a good job that I just leave it alone. What Video are you adjusting?

To be honest, once my E52 is setup correctly and my Tweaking is done, I just want it to be invisible, I do not want to own a Receiver that I need to constantly be fiddling with and monitoring!

I have had my Pioneer VSX 1020 for over a year and it is usually turned on and then just the Volume is all that is adjusted!

I am Tweaking and playing around with my E52 a lot now, because I Like it and it's my New Toy..

But months from now it will be like my VSX 1020 is now....Turn it on and use my remote to change Channels and Volume!

But there are some that just want to constantly be Adjusting and Fiddling with their Receiver, never happy to just sit back and like you say, It Sounds Great...So... Just Listen To It and Enjoy it!

I am sure that there are receivers available other than Pioneer that do require constant attention and an On-Screen GUI, would certainly help!

When we were kids our parents would say that we were to be Seen and Not Heard, but when it comes to receivers, I believe that they should be Heard and Not Seen! LOL!

Though I have to admit, I do like the Gold Text and Numbers with the Blue Indicators.

Better than the Red White and Blue of the non Elite VSX receivers.

Whatever your choice...Good Luck and Enjoy....That's what it's all about!

Bud B

#50 ·
Hi smurraybhm,

You said,
Quote:
Who cares about HDMI control. Read any thread most have it off as it causes more problems then what eliminates. Enter Harmony and others to the rescue. Next.

And I know that you are right but with my Setup, HDMI Control matches my Pioneer Kuro and thought that because they are both Pioneers, the HDMI Control would work to it's best!

And while I was using it, it was good.

I don't use it with my VSX 1020, so it will be finel, it's definitely not a Deal Breaker!

There are talks on the web of adding HDMI Control to HTPC's in the future...we'll see.

There is another option of connection called SR Control on page 24 of the E52 OP Manual... it is really just for the Remote Sensor, because my E52 does not sit directly under my HDTV,

I aim the Kuro's remote to the TV and the E52's remote faces off to the left where the receiver sits!

With the SR Link I can just use the Kuro's Remote Sensor and control both the E52 and the Kuro TV.

Not much but a little something.

Thanks for the response..

Bud B

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.