AVS Forum banner

Another DownUnder theatre

180K views 724 replies 90 participants last post by  jaysoffian 
#1 ·
House build is finally underway. The theatre is above the double garage on the far right. It's a Dennis Erskine design with clear dimensions inside the acoustic shell of 9650 x 6350 x 3475mm (31'8" x 20'10" x 11'5").

Photo shows the foundations complete ready for forming up the ground floor slab.

See less See more
#3 ·
First reply from BIG ... woo hoo ! Now I know my thread's made it !

We didn't do any bore holes before starting so the engineer's design was for concrete strip footings bearing on the soil about 600mm below ground level.

When they started digging it became obvious that just below this level, and covering the entire block, was weathered sandstone. So they dug a little deeper and then poured the concrete strip footings on rock.

This makes for an excellent foundation and hopefully I won't have any settlement issues. The only problem with the rock is digging under the driveway for the OSD tank is now going to be expensive !

#4 ·
What have I started with the name....

Good luck with the build, cant wait until its finished, beers on Greg and I

......we lost the first 5 weeks of our build photos on a dodgy memory card.....back them up regularly. Tip - if you can take a photo every day from the same spot, strings together into a nice fast view album

Edit: Big if you're interested I can dig up some of our foundation photos if I can find em

#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elill /forum/post/20635777

Tip - if you can take a photo every day from the same spot, strings together into a nice fast view album

Every day ??!! I think you overestimate the speed of our builder !

All photos reside on a NAS with Raid 5 at home, plus backup to ext HD at home and portable HD kept at office. I think we're covered !

#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabra /forum/post/20653159

I might have to jump on a plane to see this one when it's finished.

Have to decided on the audio for a room this size?

You're very welcome to come and visit and being from SA your price of entry will be a six pack of Coopers !

Speakers will be either Seaton or Procella ... both have plenty of output for this room. I'm losing about 1m at the front for baffle wall and screen wall, and about 1m at the rear for equipment, storage and some Erskine "secret sauce" !!

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elill /forum/post/20653315

Peter - got plans yet from Dennis? even just a hint? or are you holding out on us?

Hi Peter,

I received my 95% drawings from Dennis ages ago, but I need to finalise speakers before he finishes them. I don't think I'll be posting Dennis' drawings but I will post my Sketchup model.

One idea I've got floating around in my head is to have the aesthetics reflect the acoustics ... the walls are being covered in fabric wrapped panels (no surprises there !) which run from column to column and are about 600mm high. There are three types of panels (absorber / diffuser / combo) which I'm thinking of doing in three shades of blue. Dennis' design has the three types arranged in what looks like an almost random pattern (but is obviously very carefully designed and laid out by him). For some strange reason I think it'd be cool to have the colour scheme match the purpose of each of the panels. I'll be putting this into Sketchup shortly to see how it looks !! Hopefully not hideous !!!

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter M /forum/post/20653517

You're very welcome to come and visit and being from SA your price of entry will be a six pack of Coopers !

Speakers will be either Seaton or Procella ... both have plenty of output for this room. I'm losing about 1m at the front for baffle wall and screen wall, and about 1m at the rear for equipment, storage and some Erskine "secret sauce" !!

Thanks Peter I will certainly be up for that.

I might have to re-think the size of room I want Dennis to design for me down the track.

So your room will end up what I was wanting about 7.5m long.

#14 ·
Sketchup is all I was after

I thought you'd decided on the Seatons?

Interesting idea with the fabric - what type of fabric are you using? I think it could look good. Depends how you're going to integrate it all i.e. the fabric and non fabric bits....I've struggled with this. Have you seen this thread? it might give you some ideas:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1185472

Are you getting quest panels or RPG ones?

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabra /forum/post/20654158

Thanks Peter I will certainly be up for that.

I might have to re-think the size of room I want Dennis to design for me down the track.

So your room will end up what I was wanting about 7.5m long.

Yes it will appear to be a 7.5m long room. I'm putting in two rows of four seats so there's plenty of room and hopefully it'll feel quite spacious, even when full.

#16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elill /forum/post/20654159

Sketchup is all I was after

I thought you'd decided on the Seatons?

Interesting idea with the fabric - what type of fabric are you using? I think it could look good. Depends how you're going to integrate it all i.e. the fabric and non fabric bits....I've struggled with this. Have you seen this thread? it might give you some ideas:

Are you getting quest panels or RPG ones?

I had decided on the Seatons, but then I ran into Gerben at CEDIA here in Sydney and he's really after me to use his stuff. I will definitely make a decision in the next few weeks, as I need to get it all on order.

I haven't finalised the fabric yet but GOM FR701 is the obvious choice, and I understand you got yours from the US. I may go down this route as well.

Dennis has spec'd the Quest panels and I have a quote from the guys in Melbourne for all of them, however I may DIY the absorbers and diffusors. The combo panel is apparently not DIY'able.

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elill /forum/post/20654159

Have you seen this thread? it might give you some ideas:

Yes I had seen that thread ... some really nice stuff. Once I get my Sketchup stuff posted, I'll certainly be asking for more design ideas. Aesthetics is not my strong suit .. after all I'm an engineer !

#18 ·
Hey there Peter! Great to see some progress. I love the way Peter the Greek loads me up for beers without even asking!

That is going to be one impressive theatre. I couldn't help but look at the front and rear windows and think that council insisted they be there. Buggers like that. Even still, you are going to rattle around in that theatre with two rows of seating. I am sure Dennis has come up with something special for you.

Will be watching this Thread. Going to pilfer all your good ideas!

Cheers

Greg.

#21 ·
Hey Peter, looking great. Bet you are loving these blue skies! Most slabs make homes look small. That is one good sized slab. Your home is going to bs massive! Frame will be up before you know it.

#24 ·
Any new photos Peter? BTW, you should have danced a little harder with this rain we are now having!

#26 ·
Peter, kind of serves him right for pinching the name of your build thread! Karma home theater style

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.