Feature running time: 111 minutes
Genre: Action/thriller

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, Spanish/French DTS 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish, French
Starring: Saoirse Ronan, Eric Bana, Cate Blanchett, Tom Hollander, Olivia Williams, Jason Flemyng
Directed by: Joe Wright
Music by: The Chemical Brothers
Written by: Seth Lochhead & David Farr
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: September 6, 2011

"Adapt or die"

Film Synopsis:

Raised by her father (Eric Bana), an ex-CIA agent, in the wilds of Finland, Hanna's upbringing and training have been one and the same, all geared to making her the perfect assassin. The turning point in her adolescence is a sharp one. Sent into the world by her father on a mission, Hanna journeys stealthily across Europe, eluding agents dispatched after her by a ruthless intelligence operative with secrets of her own (Academy Award winner Cate Blanchett). As she nears her ultimate target, Hanna faces startling revelations about her existence.

My Take:

Hanna (Saoirse Ronan), a 16-year-old girl raised in the desolate, icy wilds of Finland by her father Erik, a rogue CIA agent, is trained to become the perfect assassin. Every moment of Hanna's childhood and adolescence has been spent building up the strength, stamina and survival instincts she needs to prepare for the day she must strike out on her own. That day has now come; armed with the skills her father has imparted to her and the mantra adapt or die, Hanna must cross Europe and face her family's longtime enemy, lethal intelligence operative Marissa Wiegler.

Hanna is pretty much exactly what it appears to be. I wouldn't exactly describe it as a high octane thriller but its carried by a decent script, stylish action and a solid cast. I like the concept and the character of Hanna is perfectly drawn as the lethal weapon type who sees the world through the eyes of youthful innocence while possessing the ass kicking skills of an assassin. This is the third film I have seen Saoirse Ronan in and she continues to impress me. Her performance is what truly sells this film. The script hit's the high points but I would have preferred that the story had been fleshed out a bit more. I appreciated the depth given to Hanna's desire for friendship/family, her inquisitive innocence, and her innate need for answers. This was essential to creating the definitive contrast that made her so dangerous when provoked/assigned and fun to watch when engaged. The primary focus remained there and with her contact with a traveling family while the bare minimum was revealed about the whys and wherefores of her beginnings. I found that to be a little frustrating only because I think it would have provided deeper emphasis on the remaining integral elements, namely Hanna's father Erik, and their nemesis Marissa Weigler (pronounced Veigler). Here, they are portrayed as typical CIA archetypes although we get enough of Weigler to ensure that she is clearly defined as the heavy. In that regard Cate Blanchett doesn't disappoint, not surprising as she can play just about any role with credibility. There is easily enough intrigue to keep interest high while the action proves rewarding and features well executed hand to hand fight style choreography. So, is Hanna worth 111 minutes of your time? The answer is most definitely. I wouldn't say that it breaks new ground but it has style and offers genre fans an engaging character that we may likely hear from again.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for intense sequences of violence and action, some sexual material and language.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 90

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency extension:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialogue Reproduction:

Video: 90

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black level/Shadow detail:
  • Color reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:
Hanna comes to Blu-ray Disc from Universal Studios HE featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 34 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.6 Mbps.
This is a great looking new release title from Universal. Images onscreen exhibit plenty of fine rendering and crisp definition that on occasion rises to higher levels especially during close ups which can be very revealing. Long range shots appear resolute with good dimensional depth and notable object detail. The film's beautiful geographic locations and vista views look magnificent in high definition. Bright exterior segments are punchy with crisp dynamic whites and appreciable texture. Colors aren't overly engaging as the palette is limited to sepia tones and drab secondary hues that don't offer much to catch the eye. Rendering is excellent though and the balance is kept in proper focus which mates well with the films overall visual perspective. Fleshtones are tonally divergent and appear lifelike in depiction. Blacks are respectable and shadow detail is revealing of appreciable levels of delineation in dark backgrounds and low lighting. I didn't detect any deleterious artifacts or other video related anomalies.

The lossless DTS-HD Master Audio surround mix does a great job rendering the film's soundtrack. Dialogue has excellent intonation and clarity which allows even subtle changes in vocal pitch to be appreciable. This is a well balanced audio presentation that quite often engages the entire system. Dynamic range is excellent and the soundstage has an open expression that allows its elements to extend well into the room. Discrete rear channel activity isn't extensive however the action based elements provide an enriching level of immersion which is generated by a seamless sound field. The chase and extended fight sequences are empowered by near field sound effects, robust dynamics and thumping techno rhythms that energize the room. The LFE channel is frequently active and reproduces the film's music and extended lower bass frequencies with palpably rich impact.

For those of you seeking objective measurements, graphs, or more info about the bass in this movie, visit the Data-Bass.com Low Frequency content thread or peruse their entire list of original measurements in the comprehensive Bass Movie measurements Google spreadsheet You can also visit The New Master List of Bass in Movies with frequency charts thread to discuss this movie right here on AVS!

Bonus Features:

• Feature commentary with director Joe Wright
  • (HD) Alternate ending
  • (HD) Deleted scenes - 3 minutes
  • (HD) Adapt or die - 13 minute making of featurette
  • (HD) Central Intelligence Agency allegory - 9 minute featurette
  • (HD) Anatomy of a scene: The escape from Camp G - 3 minutes
  • (HD) The world of Hanna - 2 minute promotional feature
  • (HD) Hanna promo - 1 minute
  • My scenes bookmark feature
  • pocket BLU
  • D-Box Motion Code enable
  • Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

Watching the trailer for Hanna gives the impression that it is an engaging action/thriller built upon an unoriginal but potentially well executed concept. It turned out to be exactly that, thanks to a decent script, capable direction and rock solid performances by the cast, most notably Saoirse Ronan in the title role. It makes its way onto Blu-ray Disc featuring top notch audio/video quality and an above average assortment of bonus supplements most of which contain more fluff than substance but are worth checking out if you enjoyed the film. Hanna's combination of intrigue, action and style make it the perfect choice for genre fans looking for a fix. Enjoy!

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS50 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100 16x9 Screen
Anthem AVM50v THX Ultra 2 Preamp/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-93 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator
Wireworld, VizionWare, Audioquest, Better Cables, Best Deal Cables - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

See less See more
#2 ·
It was a shockingly good movie...sadly it was ruined in the theaters by lots of stupid parents bringing young children. They assumed..."Oh, it's a girl...it must be rated G!!!".

Yea....just a little uncomfortable watching that when a 5 year old was next to me...

It was really good though, great director!

#4 ·
I saw Hanna in the theater and gave it 9 Stars out of 10. What can I say? Joe Wright does great work and he gets another wonderful performance from the immensely talented Saoirse Ronan. The always reliable Eric Bana does a fine job, too. There was just enough of a twist in the plot of the film to raise it above the ordinary in my estimation. I will pick up the BD at Blockbuster as an in store exchange tomorrow. The high marks Ralph has given both the Hanna BD's video and audio encourage me to believe that I will enjoy Hanna even more in my home than I did in the theater. Highly recommended!

#8 ·
Thanks for the review. Ralph. Glad the AQ and PQ are solid for this release. This is one of my few blind buy pre-orders and I'm really looking forward to watching this one. Seems like my kind of movie--I am also in the camp that loved Sucker Punch.

#9 ·
Thanks Ralph. I've been waiting for this one.

#10 ·
Fantastic and well scripted film overall!

Great cast especially Saoirse. She's starting to become a powerhouse in hollywood with her films. Her character in this movie and Lovely Bones are just wonderful.

This movie is definitely a must have! Eric and Cate did an awesome job as well.

#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamE55 /forum/post/20911800

This movie is definitely a must have! Eric and Cate did an awesome job as well.

Your post reminded me that I had inadvertently failed to mention Cate Blanchett in my earlier post. If there is a more talented actress working today, I wouldn't be able to say who she might be.

#14 ·
Just now finished watching the Hanna BD and was blown away. Nobody makes films that are more stylish than Joe Wright's and Hanna was no exception. It has wall to wall great performances and sensational PQ and AQ. In fact, I thought a little more highly of the soundtrack than Ralph did. He gave the soundtrack a high mark, too, a 90, but I thought it was demonstration quality so rated it about 93. The LFE when the airplane flew low over the Finnish cabin and several of the other bass heavy scenes made me levitate.

Joe Wright has accumulated a large group of actors for his stock company over the course of a relatively short career. In addition to Saoirse Ronan, Tom Hollander and Olivia Williams have also appeared in other Wright films. There may have been others in the Hanna cast who had appeared in some of Wright's other films but if so I missed them.

I gave Hanna a vote of 9 Stars out of 10 when I saw it in the theater and liked it at least as much when I saw it again tonight on BD.

#15 ·
Am I the only one who didn't care for this movie? While it looked and sounded great, the "believability index" was 0/10.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) I would love to see the guys from Mythbusters break down many of the scenes in the movie, particularly the one where Hanna latches onto a moving vehicle that's traveling over 30+ MPH from inside a manhole...from this point on the movie lost me (the hermaphrodite stripper didn't help things much either...that was a fun conversation with the kids
--they didn't like the film at all).

#18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat /forum/post/20912154

Your post reminded me that I had inadvertently failed to mention Cate Blanchett in my earlier post. If there is a more talented actress working today, I wouldn't be able to say who she might be.

I concur!

Also wanted to add after watching it again last night was the Chemical Brother's soundtrack to this movie was just amazing!! It was pretty much in sync with the whole movie.

Btw if anyone cares Fry's has this on sale at $17.99 right now.

#19 ·
Watched Hanna last night and loved it--so glad I decided to buy. My kind of movie. It isn't about the story with Hanna--it is about the movie; the direction, the sound, the visual effects, and most importantly the acting. Eric, Cate and especially Saoirse. The sound track is simply awesome! A five-star movie for me

#20 ·
Great review. Totally agree about the story needing to be fleshed out a little more--there were far too many unclarified aspects of the story for me to really buy into it, or more importantly, care about anything. Why was Heller so intent on killing Weigler? Why was the program terminated? Why didn't they just stay in hiding forever? What was the source of Weigler's conflict with the program (she must've terminated it, but seemed to have a fondness for children.) Et cetera.

Would love to see this turn into a Bourne style series that clarified these things.

#21 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn
Am I the only one who didn't care for this movie? While it looked and sounded great, the "believability index" was 0/10.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) I would love to see the guys from Mythbusters break down many of the scenes in the movie, particularly the one where Hanna latches onto a moving vehicle that's traveling over 30+ MPH from inside a manhole...from this point on the movie lost me (the hermaphrodite stripper didn't help things much either...that was a fun conversation with the kids
--they didn't like the film at all).
You have a point. Although at face value, Hanna looks like another kid's adventure film, it isn't.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) It is a little jarring to learn that the fresh faced blue eyed blonde teenager who we have been following was bred and trained to be a highly effective and remorseless killer. Then we watch Hanna cooly but violently dispatch several of Marissa's CIA helpers as she makes her escape from Marissa's clutches. As you noted, the hermaphrodite stripper was another jarring event in a film that began looking as if it would be appropriate for children.
Unsurprisingly, that's going to be a turnoff for some viewers. Nevertheless, I bought the premise and loved the movie. A lot of that, of course, was owed to the deft stylishness of Joe Wright's direction.

#22 ·
I think it will fall into those movie fans who disregard story credibility in favor of other aspects of a movie and those who put a lot of stock in believability of the movie. I fall into the former category and so to me, this was a great movie--same as I thought of Sucker Punch, another very polarizing movie when it came to reviews.

For me, believability is more important in a book but in a movie, I am more interested in the journey the director sends the actors--and how the actors perform during their journey.

Tom Clift probably says this better than me:

http://cutprintreview.com/reviews/3-.../hanna-review/

#23 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritfox /forum/post/20917559

I think it will fall into those movie fans who disregard story credibility in favor of other aspects of a movie and those who put a lot of stock in believability of the movie. I fall into the former category and so to me, this was a great movie--same as I thought of Sucker Punch, another very polarizing movie when it came to reviews.

For me, believability is more important in a book but in a movie, I am more interested in the journey the director sends the actors--and how the actors perform during their journey.

Tom Clift probably says this better than me:

http://cutprintreview.com/reviews/3-.../hanna-review/

Thanks for the link to the Tom Clift review! He did a great job of quantifying what I had referred to as Joe Wright's stylishness. I thought Clift was spot on when he said it was Wright's direction that elevated a pretty mediocre screenplay into a compelling film. I would add that scintillating performances by both Saoirse Ronan and Cate Blanchett also helped.

#24 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat /forum/post/20912154

How about Kate Winslet? She's as good as they come, IMHO.

#25 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritfox
Thanks for the review. Ralph. Glad the AQ and PQ are solid for this release. This is one of my few blind buy pre-orders and I'm really looking forward to watching this one. Seems like my kind of movie--I am also in the camp that loved Sucker Punch.
I, too, purchased as a blind buy and can't wait to watch this weekend. Too many good reviews to pass on this one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.