Messy living room

Oppo BDP-95, Behringer DCX2496, Onkyo 5508, D-Sonic 7ch amp, D-Sonic 2ch amp

Polk RTi4 surround rear

See less See more
#2 ·
nice setup

#3 ·
capitalism FTW!

Very impressive. Might I ask how the blending of the Emeralds to the JTR is for 5.1 playback? Any noticable shifting from 1 to the other?

#5 ·
Hi Slowcar,

I'm so glad you have been able to settle down for awhile and get to listen to your system again. That room is... let us say... creative. But once the lights go out I bet the sound and vision kick ass.

#6 ·
femi: thanks!

Theonetruegreg: i've only used it twice for movie since it was slapped together. What it does for movie, i am sure it will be seamless for music also. Will listen to some 5.1 audio and report back.

G-Bull: finding stuff here is not as easy here compared to the US...no home depot..lowes.....i used what i have lying around and can get in the stores.

htg: I'm very happy with the performance, system is a keeper

#7 ·
I cant imagine watching some heavy LFE movies on that system...the bass would scare me to death!

#8 ·
Nice rig, interesting room. I enjoy seeing AVS members actual rooms in use,...not some Architectural Digest beauty photo crap. Cool space.

Those mains, man I'd really enjoy hearing those. What turned you on to the Emerald Physics loudspeakers? How would you characterize their sound? Although the JTR center, and the EP L&R's share a common type of coaxial approach,...they are quite different,...so how do they work together? Also, the LF drives in the JTR appear to be different than any of the ones I've ever seen with the T12,...any insight? (earlier model, replacement drives, etc.,)

The HSU quad pack,..oh hell yeah. Nice,..interestingly, all choices I'd make. How's the room acoustically,..and any measuring capability? If you were showing off capability, what would you throw in the Oppo?

Really appreciate you sharing,..very, very nice.

Thank you

#9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin /forum/post/21014867

I cant imagine watching some heavy LFE movies on that system...the bass would scare me to death!
Realism,...that's the point to this exercise. A suspension of dis-belief.

I've seen all four of us in my family, all simultaneously jump,...in a violently intense physical reaction to a startlingly real scene. Yeah....

#10 ·

Jesus-H-Christ
I have to give you credit where credit is due.
I love it. This is a total 100% man dwelling. I hope you are not in an apartment. Do your subs shake your house? I only have 2 subs and they have knocked pictures off my walls and made my dogs ears lay back in uncomfortable pain.
I bet you could just leave your stereo on during the winter and not have to use your heater.

#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin /forum/post/21014867

the sound to the system is very tactile

the room volume is small (~3000ft^3) - 12ft wide, 40ft long but it necks down to 5ft half way down the length, concrete floor/walls/ceiling...and the foam in the seats seems to do a great job at converting the lfe into mechanical energy, i would say a more natural feel than when i had buttkickers when i had a wooden house in austin.

#12 ·
Thanks!

I read about these speakers from the polk forum:
http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...-Review-Thread

decided to get a pair of cs2.0 then later traded it in for the 2.3. The imaging on 2ch audio is amazing and for ht, they play well with the 4 uls15..i can crank up on the volume w/o them straining.

Heres an article on the CS3(i am using the cs2.3 and letting the uls15 handle the low end): http://www.affordableaudio.org/aa2010-02.pdf

During the Audyssey calibration, they 2.3/jtr12 sounds very different with the white noise but during movie soundtrack, they blend really well, i do not hear a disconnect with a right/left pan.

The JTR12 was the #4 piece, fugueness on the forum got #1,2,3

No in room measurement but i believe the hard walls are too live, looking at some sonex or http://www.vicoustic.com/VN/Musicbro...md=reset&Id=36 to sorb up the upper frequencies

Right now, Transformers 3 is what i will use for demo, the surrounds has not been worked so hard till now

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOH /forum/post/21015413

Nice rig, interesting room. I enjoy seeing AVS members actual rooms in use,...not some Architectural Digest beauty photo crap. Cool space.

Those mains, man I'd really enjoy hearing those. What turned you on to the Emerald Physics loudspeakers? How would you characterize their sound? Although the JTR center, and the EP L&R's share a common type of coaxial approach,...they are quite different,...so how do they work together? Also, the LF drives in the JTR appear to be different than any of the ones I've ever seen with the T12,...any insight? (earlier model, replacement drives, etc.,)

The HSU quad pack,..oh hell yeah. Nice,..interestingly, all choices I'd make. How's the room acoustically,..and any measuring capability? If you were showing off capability, what would you throw in the Oppo?

Really appreciate you sharing,..very, very nice.

Thank you

#13 ·
a few coworker was over to watch dark knights friday nite, during the garage scene when batman clinged to the side of the white van and gets slammed into the pillar, the sonic attack caused a simultaneous OUCH from them

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOH /forum/post/21015440

Realism,...that's the point to this exercise. A suspension of dis-belief.

I've seen all four of us in my family, all simultaneously jump,...in a violently intense physical reaction to a startlingly real scene. Yeah....

#14 ·
I live on the 4th floor...neighbors on the left/right/up/down. I have cranked it up to over 110dB 3am on a weekday morning and so far no complains. Had to go to homedepot the last time i was in the US, bought a few reels of D-shaped weather seal to seal the door plus stop door rattle and a rubber door sweep to seal a 1/4" gap under the entrance door. They did not pay a lot of attention to details during remodelling of the apartment. The walls/floor/ceiling are concrete, they dont vibrate but stuff in there like me and the couch that gets vibrated lol.

The power amps uses b&o icepower modules, they run relatively cool unless i push them hard...the 5508 actually puts out more heat than the amps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBlow74 /forum/post/21017748

Jesus-H-Christ
I have to give you credit where credit is due.
I love it. This is a total 100% man dwelling. I hope you are not in an apartment. Do your subs shake your house? I only have 2 subs and they have knocked pictures off my walls and made my dogs ears lay back in uncomfortable pain.
I bet you could just leave your stereo on during the winter and not have to use your heater.

#18 ·
Slowcar, my man!! Nice job!

Yeah, having concrete walls helps a lot with keeping low freqs at managing levels as far as neighbors are concerned - quite likely the ONLY thing that works. Have you taken any measurements at the listening position to see how flat the low end is?

Cheers

#19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelinas /forum/post/21090037

Hey slowcar! Nice to see you back posting on the forum. Setup looks great. I'm glad to hear that your neighbors give you no issues when you are enjoying your system at spirited levels.

Thanks, very happy to be back in the forum!

The entrance door is some elcheapo sheet metal sandwiched fiberglass wool, flexes a fair bit from the LF. The re-radiation of LF energy into the stairwell is pretty strong...so far no complains, got to watch the volume or i might get thrown out

#20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunga99 /forum/post/21090102

Very Nice Setup!!

Thank you!

I had the JTR 888s a while back, great speakers!

#21 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatsav /forum/post/21114257

Hello

I love your set up as well. I can imagine that it would sound amazing. Well done.

fatsav

Thank you!

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddgtr /forum/post/21115905

Slowcar, my man!! Nice job!

Yeah, having concrete walls helps a lot with keeping low freqs at managing levels as far as neighbors are concerned - quite likely the ONLY thing that works. Have you taken any measurements at the listening position to see how flat the low end is?

Cheers

ddgtr: you got a great thread going! love your setup especially your room treatment and that pass amp!

Havent had a chance to take any measurement....looking to get a used sms-1 or rew. also looking for wall treatment over those concrete walls....

#23 ·
ok, heres some measurement. trying out omnimic the 1st time....

-3.05 OM software

-1/6 smoothing

-with audyssey treatment

-main listening position

#24 ·
^^^^

Nice.

The hallmark of a great bottom octave response; take a quality, sealed sub system, mated with a room's native PVG, resulting in single digit extension.

How are you enjoying the OmniMic? I've had mine for a year now, it's got areas that I wish were better, however all together, I'm very happy.

#25 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunga99 /forum/post/21090102

Very Nice Setup!!

found a pic from awhile back - we got the same speaker stands

#26 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOH /forum/post/21299491

^^^^

Nice.

The hallmark of a great bottom octave response; take a quality, sealed sub system, mated with a room's native PVG, resulting in single digit extension.

How are you enjoying the OmniMic? I've had mine for a year now, it's got areas that I wish were better, however all together, I'm very happy.

the omnimic is a breeze to use! made the graph within minutes. prolly will use it to "sniff" around the room, map out some areas a foot or 2 behind the lp that is extremely neaseating during heavy bass scenes...then i dont know, join the rest of the pile of gadgets in the storeroom until the next measurement time...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.