AVS Forum banner

Panasonic 1080/60p mode files via SD card slot on Blu-ray players

4K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  Sean Nelson 
#1 ·
Are there any Panasonic Blu-ray players that will play videos recorded in the 60p mode using the SDHC card slot? I tried a long time ago and wasn't able to play them, as only the 60i files were recognized.

#2 ·
I have a Pansonic BD-30 that is a few years old and a Panasonic camcorder that records on SD cards. I took two clips, one in 1080/60p. I put the card in the player and the 1080/60p clip did not show up. The other played fine.

The instructions for the BD-30 say that it is AVCHD 1.0. AVCHD 2.0 is now current and supposedly added 1080/60p functionality. I found the instructions for the current Panasonic DMP-BDT310 on line and tried to find if it referred to 2.0 or 1080/60p in the specifications. I found nothing.

I would be tempted to buy a new BD player if I could play 1080/60p on the SD card straight from the camera.

#3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsprague /forum/post/21159950

I would be tempted to buy a new BD player if I could play 1080/60p on the SD card straight from the camera.

I had a Panasonic bd player and it played my 1080p60 files great from a SD card. It didn't play the files from an external hdd so I went with a sony bd players that would. I have a huge amount of video clip so I needed the ext hdd support more .

#4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gso125 /forum/post/21160023

I had a Panasonic bd player and it played my 1080p60 files great from a SD card. It didn't play the files from an external hdd so I went with a sony bd players that would. I have a huge amount of video clip so I needed the ext hdd support more .

What model do you have? I have Panasonic BD85 and Viera V20, but clips made with SD900 1080/50p dont play from SD card. I could play those clips over Xtreamer media player just fine.

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by serafko /forum/post/21161519

What model do you have? I have Panasonic BD85 and Viera V20, but clips made with SD900 1080/50p dont play from SD card. I could play those clips over Xtreamer media player just fine.

If you do not want to replace your BD player, try re-wrapping these clips with tsMuxer into the same M2TS container and then create AVCHD title on a card with MultiAVCHD. tsMuxer changes some flags in the stream, so re-wrapped clips are playable on my BD80, which is an earlier model than the BD85.

#9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonhd /forum/post/21163454

It played your 1080/60p mode files? Any idea how old of a player it was? If it played them any of their models should by now.

------------------

Sony bdp 70 series can stream 1080p50 from a memory stick or external hard drive (fAT32 limited to 4Giga per file)

Sony bdp 80 series cans stream NTFS formated ( above 4 Gigas/file)

You can join files with the included writer software that comes with pany 700 or 900 camcorder.

Dont know for the 70 series but 80 series can be upgraded to AVCHD2 ( that alows the player to read authored blue ray media with 1080p50 or 60 type. But I dont know if sony new software that comes with sony full hd progressive camcorders can or not produce such br media.

-------------------

#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gso125 /forum/post/21163703

It was a brand new model in April 2011 when I got it. I posted about it numerous times but didn't find.

The 1080/60p videos play fine on my new DMP-BDT210 I got today. It shows a red icon with 1080/60p next to the file name. I downloaded the latest firmware update for it also. The new 2011 Panasonic models should play them all fine.

#12 ·
Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonhd /forum/post/21169033

The 1080/60p videos play fine on my new DMP-BDT210 I got today. It shows a red icon with 1080/60p next to the file name. I downloaded the latest firmware update for it also. The new 2011 Panasonic models should play them all fine.

I've just ordered one of these to play 60p files. I will give it a good test and see what bit-rate it will go up to.

I was tempted with the Sony with their official support for AVCHD 2.0, however a technical review identified the levels on the HDMI output were wrong, i.e. you never got pure white values, and the colour pallet was reduced because of it, that kind of put me off.

Regards

Phil

#13 ·
"But I dont know if sony new software that comes with sony full hd progressive camcorders can or not produce such br media."

The software that comes with new Sony camcorders is Picture Motion Browser (PMB).

Updated via a free download, it is capable of trimming, merging and creating AVCHD 2.0-compliant blurays (or just plain 108060p video files on hard disc) from 108060p clips. It does this with no resolution loss and is extremely quick. The edits are without glitches.

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by markr041 /forum/post/21179903

"But I dont know if sony new software that comes with sony full hd progressive camcorders can or not produce such br media."

The software that comes with new Sony camcorders is Picture Motion Browser (PMB).

Updated via a free download, it is capable of trimming, merging and creating AVCHD 2.0-compliant blurays (or just plain 108060p video files on hard disc) from 108060p clips. It does this with no resolution loss and is extremely quick. The edits are without glitches.

-------------------------

Thanks, my question is wether PMB can author a playable BR with chapters or playable dvd with 1080p50 type videos like a real NLE or just output edited files.

#16 ·
Hi

Well things don't work that well with the Panasonic Blu-ray player.

With 1080/50p files here is what I have found:

1) Will play from the SD card taken directly from the camera at full 1080/50p. This confirms the files are supported and will play.

2) A 1080/50p video file will play and stutter via DLNA, a 720p file also stutters on the Panasonic Blu-Ray player via DLNA, but the same video file plays perfectly via DLNA through my PVR. Something wrong with the networking.

3) Authoring any form of AVCHD or Blu-ray Disc (onto BD-R/RE media) results in the 1080/50p video playing with sound only, no picture!!!! Come on Panasonic how difficult is it to just let these files play? My older Sony 370 Blu-ray player will play the same disc and show the video, but it locks up solid after a few minutes, I presume because the chip struggles to support it.

4) Attempts at creating various AVCHD formats back to a SD card fails to play with "No media found".

The only success I've had at playing 1080/50p files is from the original footage shot by the camcorder to an SD card. Of course I don't want to play the original footage, I've edited it and created my own mts file with 1080/50p footage.

So how do we get edited 1080/50p files to play on the Panasonic Blu-ray player. Ideally I would like just to be able to author a Blu-ray disc that contains out of spec 1080/50p files and for the player to accept them, or an AVCHD 2.0 disc.

I tried all the various options from MultiAVCHD to create AVCHD files and nothing apart from sound only at the best, at the worse from SD card nothing is found to play.

Any tips or pointers?

Regards

Phil

#17 ·
Hi

Okay after some more testing:

1) 1080/60p/50p files upto at least 40Mbits/sec bit-rates will play via DLNA, I found I had to remux to a transport stream to get them to play without stuttering, this isn't unique to 60p/50p videos either on the Panasonic. So we know these files are supported and they play back in glorious 60p as well, they are not downgraded.

2) An SD card from a Panasonic TM900 camera plays good as well when used in the Blu-ray SD card slot. I've been unsuccessful in creating my own content onto an SD card.

3) No amount of different tests has seen a single 1080/50p/60p video playing from a Blu-ray disc. Either copied as data or authored as AVCHD or Blu-ray. The audio plays but the picture is black. It seems the Panasonic is being very strict and ignoring the 1080/50p/60p video on Blu-ray media. It can play it back, the same video plays fine as per point 1 above, just Panasonic choose not to.

So my conclusion, if you want to edit 1080/50/60p files and produce a finished video, you can only play these back via DLNA, and lose the ability to skip back and forth.

I've not tried a USB stick or hard-drive, but these have caveats even if they do work as the Panasonic only reads FAT32 so you can't have a long video!

Certainly the hardware is up to the task, hopefully it will be more forgiving if Panasonic ever update their current players for AVCHD 2.0.

The above tests are using the latest firmware 1.70.

Regards

Phil

#18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip_L /forum/post/21189870

.......Certainly the hardware is up to the task, hopefully it will be more forgiving if Panasonic ever update their current players for AVCHD 2.0.

Philip,

Is there any documentation with the BDT210 that says it is AVCHD 2.0? My older Panasonic BD30 specifically states AVCHD 1.0 and 1080p60 does not play from the SD card slot.

Frustrations like your having led me to spend $100 on a Western Digital media player with an external HDD I dedicated to it.

Bill

#19 ·
Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsprague /forum/post/21190396

Philip,

Is there any documentation with the BDT210 that says it is AVCHD 2.0? My older Panasonic BD30 specifically states AVCHD 1.0 and 1080p60 does not play from the SD card slot.

Frustrations like your having led me to spend $100 on a Western Digital media player with an external HDD I dedicated to it.

Bill

No support is mentioned for AVCHD 2.0. 3D Blu-ray players by the virtue of having to process two HD streams have enough processing power for 1080/60p, so 3D Blu-ray players should all be upgradeable for AVCHD 2.0. Sony have issued firmware updates for their current range of players for AVCHD 2.0, I'm hoping Panasonic will do the same, which will just mean playing rather than rejecting/ignoring 1080/60p footage when it appears inside an AVCHD or Blu-ray authored disc/SD card.

The problem with the Western Digital media players is the chips they use are only rated for level 4.1, i.e. they shouldn't play 1080/60p files, and I've read that when they do the frame rate is halved. So I was reluctant to go that route, plus I like the fact finished videos are nicely authored to a disc to keep.

I'm hoping Panasonic release an update to allow 1080/60p to play from authored Blu-ray discs as Sony have done, it is quite likely considering AVCHD specification belongs to Sony/Panasonic and it already has support for SD cards made in their camcorders for playback of 1080/60p.

I'm going to get in touch with their support.

Regards

Phil

#20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip_L /forum/post/21190757

....The problem with the Western Digital media players is the chips they use are only rated for level 4.1, i.e. they shouldn't play 1080/60p files, and I've read that when they do the frame rate is halved....

I've been confused by that. The clips do play and they look good. Yet, I'm not sure what is happening to the data as it passes through the processors of the media player and TV. It's on my "to do list" and I'll get to it when I get some other things figured out. For now, I like the WD media player.

Bill

#21 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonhd  /t/1370452/panasonic-1080-60p-mode-files-via-sd-card-slot-on-blu-ray-players#post_21157867

Are there any Panasonic Blu-ray players that will play videos recorded in the 60p mode using the SDHC card slot? I tried a long time ago and wasn't able to play them, as only the 60i files were recognized.
As an FYI - I've just purchased a Panasonic BDT-220 player - it has SD card and USB slots on the front panel.

It plays 1080p60 from an SD card as long as the files are in AVCHD format (i.e., have the requisite folder structure and metadata files). It won't play individual .MTS files copied to the card.

It plays 1080p60 from an MTS file of arbitrary name in any folder of a USB flash drive.

Why these manufacturers distinguish media type when deciding which formats to play is beyond me...

No firmware updates were required for 1080p60 support. The unit is labelled as being manufactured in June 2012.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.