AVS Forum banner
8K views 24 replies 20 participants last post by  murlidher 
#1 ·
Well we moved into a newer home in July of last year and it has a pretty big basement.....almost perfect for projection but alas, no go.

No biggie, I made a few upgrades and altho still not finished, I'm pretty happy with the results so far.

Heres a pic of the last setup in the old home.

And now the latest edition.

* Altho not shown in the previous pic, I did have the SVS PB13 Ultra already.

List of equipment

Panasonic 65ST30

-out of the box, ran for 100hrs with color slides and set to D-Nice specs. Wow, plasma is still the one to beat IMO.

Oppo BD93

-if you're on the fence about this player, you can get off of it now. Plays just about everything you can throw at it, excellent PQ, streaming capabilities worked as advertised but MKV's froze/stuttered due to my network so now I have a two 2TB HDD attached, one for DVD and Bluray movies and music and the other for 3D content and BD concerts. Smooth as silk.

Anthem MRX300

-ARC can do wonders to your system, dont let anyone else tell you different.

I'm glad I sold the Marantz and picked up this receiver.

Monster HDP1800

-hey, I wanted a power center with 8 outlets and my local A/V had a smokin deal on these....what can I say?

Parasound HCA 2003

-200W RMS X 3....more than enough.

SVS PB13 Ultra

-my 15 yr son is still in awe when we watch a good movie....unfortunately I've been running it too hot the last couple years and the dreaded "pop" is heard on intense scenes. New woofer is on its way as I'm typing this.

*EDIT* New SVS woofer in, re-calibrated and I dont have to cringe on really loud scenes anymore.

Paradigm Studio 100 V2

-bought used a few years ago with no issues....while running ARC tho, I noticed the tweeter on the left speaker crackling a bit. I've never noticed it on movies or music but Paradigm offers a V5 conversion/repair if you send them in.

*EDIT* Sent the tweeters in thru my local dealer, received them back a couple of weeks later. What I originally noticed was new gold dust caps and a resistor soldered in and after installing, I found the sound very smooth and most important, no more crackling heard when running ARC test tones. Worth $250? Meh, I've spent more on worse, hehe.

Paradigm Studio 690 V4

-this center was one upgrade I wasnt too sure about but afterwards, I dont know how I lived without it.

Paradigm Studio 20 V2

-yea dipoles/bipoles may have a better "surround" experience but with movies AND music, I'm glad I kept them for surrounds after 1st having them for mains.

Other things like GIK Acoustics bass traps/acoustic panels and a Great Gramma for the sub help with certain acoustic/frequency issues.

A Harmony One remote controls it all along with a Lutron Maestro dimmer I recently installed. Next I'm thinking some soundproof material on the tiles for the ceiling (What was that honey!?) more acoustic panels and some white LED lighting behind the TV.

*EDIT* Went to a local Electronics store and bought 4' of 6000K LED self-adhesive light strip which I placed on back of the TV....also purchased a 1400Mah Nicad rechargeable battery, soldered in a couple of wires and velcroed it to the wall behind the TV. I just attach the positive lead to light up the area when watching a movie at night. Will add a photo soon to show the difference.

Let me know what you think and hey, I'm all ears for any suggestions.

See less See more
#2 ·
looks great love the svs and paradigm stuff the v5 tweeters are a easy swap i did it on my 100 v3,s also changed the mids sound great now

#3 ·
The new room looks great. How is the sound with the hardwood floors? I can see that the room would be ideal for projections.

#4 ·
Well the floor is actually laminate.....but with the large area rug, the panels and bass traps and Anthem's room correction, it sounds great.

And really, you're just seeing half of the room....it extends another 15' behind that's open leading to the staircase upstairs.

#6 ·
Very nice set up!

What is this pop you hear? Bottoming out?

#8 ·
Very nice gear and setup. I've always love that paradigm center. It's already been said but a projector would be a perfect fit in this space

#9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin /forum/post/21560487

Very nice set up!

What is this pop you hear? Bottoming out?

With some very low/loud scenes, the back of the cone strikes the spider landing and creates a horrible pop sound....not many movies can do it but for example, the big dragon crashing into the ground in HTTYD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_bartman /forum/post/21561093

Nice setup. May I ask why the "alas no go" on the pj?

WAF.....I am not giving up tho, I will wear her down.....eventually.

When we 1st saw the house, the owner had a projector in there already.....some lower end DLP one and the "screen" painted on the wall. It measured 134" and still had room for even larger.

#11 ·
I must say, the transformation of the theater status the first pic to the status in the pictures below is jaw dropping. Everything in that room meshes, from the paint to the gear! IT's always great to come across another Oppo/SVS fan! Kudos!

#12 ·
Very nice, very clean look HT, nice gear too. Thanks for sharing

#13 ·
Hi,

fist, wow, what a nice setup!! Very clean looking, the way me like

Just a few questions if I may, Do you still like your Anthem? I've been thinking about it for a few months now and I was just wondering if your had any issues like HDMI handshake with your set top box (I have the same).

Also, was the shipping/duty cost substantial for your panels from GIK

thanks

cheers

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jproy13 /forum/post/21923890

Hi,

fist, wow, what a nice setup!! Very clean looking, the way me like

Just a few questions if I may, Do you still like your Anthem? I've been thinking about it for a few months now and I was just wondering if your had any issues like HDMI handshake with your set top box (I have the same).

Also, was the shipping/duty cost substantial for your panels from GIK

thanks

cheers

Very happy with the Anthem, had a few HDMI handshake issues earlier, lockups, etc. but it seemed to be only with the Oppo.

But now with the latest firmware, all has been good.

As far as the GIK panels go, yes shipping was not cheap as I remember but I think the results were all worth it in the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carver16 /forum/post/21938471

Nice setup. I was wondering about the tweeter upgrade I have studio 60 v.2. Does paradigm swap them out at no charge?

Gotta be careful how you word it as an "upgrade" or even "conversion". Paradigm does a "repair" as I found out. Basically they take your existing tweeters, change out the diaphragm with a V5 version and solder in a resistor so it all matches your original crossover. In the end, you will end up with new OEM tweeters for your speakers. Whether or not they sound better than the originals, hard to say. But $250 later, no more crackling heard and I'm happy with the end result.

#16 ·
Very nice clean setup. I like it a lot! Wall mount those GIK's and Keep up the good work.

#18 ·
A little update on the room......a couple new posters and I finally had a friend of mine build a few panels for my front wall..

I'm not going to say there is a huge difference but with ARC from the MRX and all the panels, I think I would be safe to say the sound stage is more "pronounced"'.

Dark Knight Rises sounds incredible.

#19 ·
Everytime I see this room I think "Damn a projector would look nice in there". Gotta get that WAF approval man!

#20 ·
Yeah his room is just screaming for a projector.

#21 ·
You have some really nice equipment and a great space. It looks like it's already a designated media room. Why not turn it into a nice theater room? You seem to have enough room for an acoustically transparent screen and you could hide all the surround speakers in columns, the PJ in a hush box, and I'm sure there is somewhere that you could hide the equipment. Show your wife what some of these guys have been able to do on here as far as transforming standard living spaces into really elegant theater rooms. Of course it would be out of the question if that's your only living space but like I said earlier, it seems to me that you already have this space designated for media only. I hate to be one of the guys that keeps nagging you about it, but you seem to have a passion for this stuff. Let us know how it goes!

#23 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod#S  /t/1390308/some-old-some-new#post_22882368

Very nice setup. It's great seeing another pair of old Studio 100v2's still going strong. I still have mine, they are currently my surrounds. These were true work horses. I'm also still using 2 Servo 15a's from that time frame as well.

Can't agree more regarding the V2's (and the Servo 15's) and the possibility of a projector! Years ago I had the V2's and an original CC2 center, and I saw Yosh70's system with the 690 center (on another site). I contacted him to ask about the balance of the 690 with the older V2's, and upon his endorsement of the combination, purchased the same center - I am glad I did - it is a better front end blend than the smaller CC could ever aspire to! I had the Servo 15's and loved them, but replaced them recently with a Seaton Submersive - only problem was size, it was too tall in front of my screen and I had to move it to the side.

I know that funds and family permissions are often impediments to new purchases, but I too "know" that a projector / screen future will probably arrive and you will return to audio/video heaven!

#25 ·
interested to see your updated pic, if you have incorporated Atmos set up. Especially if you have tried to change the surround speakers placement!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.