Feature running time: 102 minutes
Genre: Comedy

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: VC-1
Video Aspect: 2.35:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, Spanish/French DTS 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring: Rowan Atkinson, Gillian Anderson, Dominic West, Rosamund Pike, Daniel Kaluuya, Richard Schiff
Directed by: Oliver Parker
Music by: Ilan Eshkeri
Written by: Hamish McColl
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: February 28, 2012

"A little intelligence goes a long way"

Film Synopsis:

Johnny English - also known as Agent MI7 - has all but vanished from the Secret Service and is now on sabbatical, honing his skills at an isolated Asian temple. However, when his agency learns that a Chinese dignitary is in grave danger, Johnny must return reborn and ready for action. With just one shot at redemption, he will use (or misuse) the latest hi-tech gadgets and every trick in his playbook to protect us all. Outrageous battles and absurdity ensue in this hilarious spy film spoof that's fun for the whole family.

My Take:

Rowan Atkinson is back in the role of the accidental secret agent who doesn't know fear or danger. In the years since MI-7's top spy vanished off the grid, he has been honing his unique skills in a remote region of Asia. In his latest adventure Johnny English Reborn the most unlikely intelligence officer in Her Majesty's Secret Service must stop a group of international assassins before they eliminate a world leader and cause global chaos. Now that the world needs him once again, Johnny English is back in action. With one shot at redemption, he must employ the latest in hi-tech gadgets to unravel a web of conspiracy that runs throughout the KGB, CIA and even MI-7.

I get a kick out of Rowan Atkinson whose unique looks and Peter Sellers like comedic timing are perfectly in tune for the James Bond spoofing role of Johnny English. I saw the first film and found it enjoyable and Reborn is essentially in the same vein with the same sort of situational gags, action slapstick and propensity for laughs while watching Atkinson's facial contortions and affably oafish charm. Atkinson is supported by a complimentary cast which includes Dominic West, Daniel Kaluuya, Rosamund Pike and Gillian Anderson (who looks better than ever). The script is generic but the execution and production value are decent. There are no sidesplitting moments but I found myself chuckling aloud and the light intrigue/action is on target. If you're a Rowan Atkinson fan and tend to enjoy this type of comedy/action/spoof Johnny English Reborn has something to offer.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for Mild action violence, rude humor, some language and brief sensuality.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 86

• Dynamics:

• Low frequency extension:

• Surround Sound presentation:

• Clarity/Detail:

• Dialogue Reproduction:

Video: 84

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity:

• Black level/Shadow detail:

• Color reproduction:

• Fleshtones:

• Compression:

Johnny English Reborn comes to Blu-ray Disc from Universal Studios HE featuring 1080p VC-1 encoded video that has an average bitrate of 27 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate 4.1 Mbps.

In looking at this video presentation as a whole I found it to be satisfactory but not among the better Blu-ray titles I have seen in high definition. Contrast is held in check and blacks are deep but slightly crushed. Shadow detail isn't definitive however depth of field during low level segments is appreciable. Color balance is good as both primary and secondary are cleanly rendered with a pleasing level of saturation and depth. Skin tones have warm, delineated highlights and lifelike variety. Resolution and clarity is estimable although definition can be a bit inconsistent which leaves some shots appearing flat with the finest gradations obscured. This appears innate and affects both wide angle and close ups. Luckily it isn't prevalent as more often than not images appear well resolved with discernible definition and appreciable rendering of fine detail.

The lossless DTS-HD Master Audio presentation sounds great. This sci-fi thriller doesn't call for an aggressive surround mix but it should be capable of delivering the goods when necessary, and it does. The audio has an open perspective with appreciable dimension, good channel separation and crisp, descriptive dialogue that is always intelligible. The surround mix offers good front to rear balance, open atmospherics and tightly correlated panning sequences that create a fairly enveloping sound field. The result is a stable listening environment where the blend of music, sound effects, and subtle nuance contained in the soundtrack is aurally equitable. Dynamics range is quite good which helps empower active moments while lending solidity and palpable presence to low frequencies.

Bonus Features:

• Feature commentary with director Oliver Parker & writer Hamish McColl

• (HD) 17 deleted/extended scenes with director intro

• (HD) Gag reel - 2 minutes

• (HD) The English files: The making of Johnny English Reborn - 25 minute featurette

• (HD) Working with Rowan - 4 minute featurette

• (HD) Gadgets - 3 minute featurette

• (HD) English in Hong Kong - 5 minute featurette

• (HD) The wheelchair chase - 5 minute featurette

• My scenes bookmark feature

• D-Box Motion Code enabled

• BD-Live

• Bonus DVD

• Ultraviolet Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

Johnny English Reborn brings Rowan Atkinson back in the role of the accidental secret agent who doesn't know fear or danger. Like the first film this is a mildly entertaining comedy/action/parody that will probably appeal more to Rowan Atkinson fans. I wouldn't classify myself as such but I found it enjoyable enough to keep me interested throughout. It makes its way to Blu-ray Disc from Universal Studios Home Entertainment in a well balanced package that includes good audio/video quality and a decent supplemental offering that looks behind the scenes at the production. When you're in the mood for a little goofy action give it a rent.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS55 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector

Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100 16x9 Screen

Onkyo PR-SC5508 THX Ultra 2 Audio/Video Processor

Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier

Oppo BDP-93 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)

Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)

Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)

Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)

System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control

Canton "Ergo" Series speakers

Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers

SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)

APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector

Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator

Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling

Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

See less See more
#3 ·
I love Atkinson in the Mr. Bean TV show but thought the 1st Bean movie was horrible. I also saw him in Rat Race and didn't care for him there either. I haven't even bothered to watch any of his others due to how disappointed I was with those 2. How does this movie rate compared with those I mentioned? TIA

#5 ·
Saw this and loved it! Thanks for the review!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.