Subtitles: English
Starring: Matt Stone, Trey Parker
Directed by: Trey Parker
Written by: Trey Parker, Matt Stone, Brian Graden
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: March 27, 2012

"Four boys one completely dysfunctional town"

Film Synopsis:

All fourteen episodes from South Park's fifteenth season are now available in this exclusive three- disc set. Join the boys as they take on revolutionary product development, start new business ventures, cope with the struggles of getting older and join the U.S. Border Patrol. For them, it's all part of growing up in South Park!

My Take:

I was late to the South Park phenomena and didn't start watching it until a few years ago. I haven't followed it religiously but catch up by recording them on my DVR and watching when time permits. My kids have been able to download episodes to their iDevices or re-watch them on Netflix streaming and they are hooked. This is a show unlike any other animated series, both in appearance and creative concept. It stretches the boundaries of propriety to its limits and could easily be offensive to those with thin skins. If you look at it for what it is you are sure to be rewarded with deep belly laughs at its unending barrage of crude themes, blunt use of language, and unconventional plots. No stone seems left unturned when it comes to poking fun at celebrities, politicians and society in general. Season 14 has its share of hilarious inappropriateness some of which is priceless. This season puts the South Park spin on subjects like the obsession with Apple devices/technology, marital strife, male preoccupation with penis size, following the royals, reality TV, immigration, education, learning/social disorders and more.

While it all sounds a bit ridiculous or absurd it has a proven formula that works. The four mischievous imps Eric, Kyle, Kenny, and Stan (honorable mention to my man Butters) along with their parents/families/classmates provide us with much to laugh at. I think that what brings about such hilarity sometimes is how much the show makes us take a look at ourselves and some of life's experiences that resemble those of the inhabitants of South Park. Note that I said SOME because I assure you that not all apply. Regardless of whether you feel that way or not the show is entertaining, original and honest in its attempt to illicit audience reaction and that is where it succeeds. We caught all of this season's episodes when they were originally broadcast but it was fun revisiting our favorites here. All 14 episodes are spread out over two Blu-ray Discs. Disc 1 (BD-50) contains episodes 1 through 7 and the bonus features. Disc 2 (BD-25) contains episodes 8 through 14. As an added bonus there is free download (accessed via a unique code) of the X-Box game South Park: Tenorman's Revenge included.

Parental Guide:

This show contains thematic elements and language that would be inappropriate for young viewers.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 80

• Dynamics:

• Low frequency extension:

• Surround Sound presentation:

• Clarity/Detail:

• Dialogue Reproduction:

Video: 90

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity:

• Black level/Shadow detail:

• Color reproduction:

• Fleshtones:

• Compression:

South Park: The complete 15th Season comes to Blu-ray Disc from Paramount featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 14 Mbps and lossless Dolby TrueHD 5.1 channel audio that has an average bitrate of 2.4 Mbps.

This is a spectacular looking video presentation that boasts snappy, vibrant colors that enhance the show's animated elements. Images are razor sharp with clear definition that brings out plenty of subtle delineation in the characters and backgrounds. This was evident in the patterned texture in the clothing worn by the kids. A similar pattern is shared by objects, backgrounds and to varying degrees in the clothing, hair and other characters. The show's one dimensional animation doesn't offer much in terms of depth of image but resolution was excellent which enhanced the perception of small details onscreen. I was impressed with the shading, contrast, and blacks which noticeably stood out compared to the standard backgrounds/scenery typically seen. Other than some minor color banding I didn't see any video related artifacts worth noting.

The show doesn't have the type of sound that calls for demanding multi-channel audio but this Dolby TrueHD surround mix certainly made the most of it. Dialogue had lucid distinction and requisite clarity through the center channel so that it maintained a prominent position within the front soundstage. Channel separation and directional spacing across the front three channels was quite good. The track has a front dominant perspective however the surrounds were used effectively to open up the sound field to enhance spatial presence. The show's music is spread out over the entire system and supplies most of the room filling sound which is nicely underscored by punchy bass that accentuates impact. Detail and clarity were discerning which elevated the perception of smaller sounds within the recording. This mix won't will blow you away but for an animated TV series it sounded great.

Bonus Features:

• Audio commentary by Matt Stone and Trey Parker on each episode

• (HD) 6 days to air: The making of South Park - 42 minute documentary

• (HD) 6 days to air: Behind the scenes of City Sushi - 3 minute featurette

• (HD) Deleted scenes - 5 minutes

• Season 15 Episode listing:

1. 1501 - Humancentipad
    2. 1502 -Funnybot
    3. 1503 - Royal pudding
    4. 1504 - T.M.I
    5. 1505 - Crack baby athletic association
    6. 1506 - City sushi
    7. 1507 - You're getting old
    8. 1508 - Ass burgers
    9. 1509 - The last of the Meheecans
    10. 1510 - Bass to mouth
    11. 1511 - Broadway bro down
    12. 1512 - 1%
    13. 1513 - A History Channel Thanksgiving
    14. 1514 - The poor kid

Final Thoughts:

South Park: The complete 15th season is another successful installment in the continuing misadventures of the gang from this rather bizarre little town. The show's crude style of humor may not appeal to everyone but if given half a chance Stan, Kyle, Kenny, and Eric will succeed at drawing you into their world. This two disc season 15 set comes to Blu-ray Disc from Paramount looking and sounding great. The bonus supplements are highlighted by the 40 plus minute documentary that gives fans an insider's look into the making of an episode. Those familiar with the show should enjoy the typical Stone/Parker commentary. As a fan I am glad to add this to my collection and applaud Paramount for bringing it to Blu-ray Disc in excellent high quality fashion. Enjoy!

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS55 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector

Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100 16x9 Screen

Onkyo PR-SC5508 THX Ultra 2 Audio/Video Processor

Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier

Oppo BDP-93 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)

Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)

Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)

Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)

System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control

Canton "Ergo" Series speakers

Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers

SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)

APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector

Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator

Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling

Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

See less See more
#2 ·
I have to say Ralph that I absolutely LOVE seeing a South Park review from you about this time every year
I am truly addicted to this show as I watch it almost every night before bed. There are some episodes I just cant seem to get tired of even after watching countless times. They can be a little hit/miss at times, but overall this is one of the best shows on TV IMO. "The Last of the Meheecans" episode was especially funny this season for me being a landscaper.........that episode actually touched upon things I have discussed with some of my friends at work who came here from Mexico.......hilarious! Thanks for the great review and I am looking forward to grabbing this even though I have watched all the episodes more than once at this point

#3 ·
I guess what always makes me scratch my head about South Park is the why.

Why do they write and produce every episode so fast? I know they like it to be topical, but they can always bump a less-topical episode, one written during their long hiatuses, in favor of a six day production when they've got a topical idea. There are plenty of episodes that were one or two rewrites away from being classics. Why the manufactured production crunch?

Why do Matt and Trey have to write every word of every episode themselves? Why won't they bring in some punch-up writers to breathe some fresh air into the dud shows? Really. Given the last five seasons, it wouldn't kill them. A rotation of good writers kept the Simpsons going for 21 years.

Why the weird two-part divided season?

Why are three or four episodes every season absolutely gut-busting hysterical and the other nine episodes throw-aways?

Ah well. Those guys are rich as Rockefellers, so they are obviously doing something right.

#4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshawnmcdonald /forum/post/21840220

I guess what always makes me scratch my head about South Park is the why.

Why do they write and produce every episode so fast? I know they like it to be topical, but they can always bump a less-topical episode, one written during their long hiatuses, in favor of a six day production when they've got a topical idea. There are plenty of episodes that were one or two rewrites away from being classics. Why the manufactured production crunch?

Why do Matt and Trey have to write every word of every episode themselves? Why won't they bring in some punch-up writers to breathe some fresh air into the dud shows? Really. Given the last five seasons, it wouldn't kill them. A rotation of good writers kept the Simpsons going for 21 years.

Why the weird two-part divided season?

Why are three or four episodes every season absolutely gut-busting hysterical and the other nine episodes throw-aways?

Ah well. Those guys are rich as Rockefellers, so they are obviously doing something right.

You have some good points.

I have to say that the first 3 episodes of this new 2012 season have been underwhelming IMO. First season I have felt this way about.

#5 ·
I hate to say it but the last few seasons of south park have become more and more underwhelming and sadly it closely resembles the time period when the simpson went downhill.

I think the simpsons is almost completely unwatchable now and has been for quite some time. Like some have said south park still hits great episodes sometimes but it seems that they are trying to make it more about "fancier" animation relatively speaking and about trying to be rediculous rather than crank out really good thought out material. Also, the more guest/non-regular characters you put into shows the worse they seem to get (i.e. the simpsons again) as you have less focus on the main characters.

and please stop making randy the star of so many episodes. thanks.

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by joegator81  /t/1401124/south-park-the-complete-15th-season-blu-ray-official-avsforum-review#post_21851555

I hate to say it but the last few seasons of south park have become more and more underwhelming and sadly it closely resembles the time period when the simpson went downhill.

I think the simpsons is almost completely unwatchable now and has been for quite some time. Like some have said south park still hits great episodes sometimes but it seems that they are trying to make it more about "fancier" animation relatively speaking and about trying to be rediculous rather than crank out really good thought out material. Also, the more guest/non-regular characters you put into shows the worse they seem to get (i.e. the simpsons again) as you have less focus on the main characters.

and please stop making randy the star of so many episodes. thanks.

I have to say the some of the recent episodes haven't been the best.. But I love the Randy episodes.. Creme Fresh is one of the funniest around and so is Medicinal Fried Chicken.. i'd love more episode with Randy.

#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Altman  /t/1401124/south-park-the-complete-15th-season-blu-ray-official-avsforum-review#post_22317709

I have to say the some of the recent episodes haven't been the best.. But I love the Randy episodes.. Creme Fresh is one of the funniest around and so is Medicinal Fried Chicken.. i'd love more episode with Randy.

You can't go wrong with any episodes featuring Randy, Butters, or Towlie.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.