Studio and Year: Warner - 2011
MPAA Rating: G
Feature running time: 41 minutes
Genre: Documentary

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1.85:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, English/French/Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
Directed by: David Lickley
Music by: Mark Mothersbaugh
Written by: Drew Fellman
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: April 17, 2012

"Born to be loved. Born to be free"

Film Synopsis:

Narrated by Academy-Award® winner Morgan Freeman, Born to be Wild 3D is an inspiring story of love, dedication and the remarkable bond between humans and animals. This film documents orphaned orangutans and elephants and the extraordinary people who rescue and raise themsaving endangered species one life at a time. Stunningly captured in IMAX 3D, Born to be Wild 3D is a heartwarming adventure transporting moviegoers into the lush rainforests of Borneo with world-renowned primatologist Dr. Biruté Mary Galdikas, and across the rugged Kenyan savannah with celebrated elephant authority Dame Daphne M. Sheldrick, as they and their teams rescue, rehabilitate and return these incredible animals back to the wild.

My Take:

The IMAX experience is ideal for this documentary's subject matter as remarkable high-definition footage transports viewers to exotic Kenya and Borneo, places that most of us will probably never see. IMAX Born to be wild tells the amazing stories of two women that have made it their life's mission to save and protect needy animals, specifically orphaned elephants and orangutans in the wild. The film provides portraits of both women and the uniquely established habitats they have built in furtherance of their goals. The story, narrated by Morgan Freeman, presents daily life in each and follows a pair of orangutans and a two year old baby elephant as they prepare to be introduced back into the wild after being raised/rehabilitated. Filled with interesting facts, extraordinary images, and high levels of the awwww (meaning cute) factor Born to be wild is a wonderful documentary film that stands as a testament to the devotion/work of two fascinating women, primatologist Dr. Birute Mary Galdikas and Dame Daphne M. Sheldrick, and the countless success stories of the animals they have saved and continue to provide for. At around forty minutes this isnt a long documentary film but the time goes by quickly as the subject matter and visuals prove both poignant and engaging. This is a heartwarming, cute and cuddly documentary that makes for stimulating family entertainment.

Parental Guide:

This film is appropriate for all ages.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

Audio: 86

• Dynamics:

• Low frequency extension:

• Surround Sound presentation:

• Clarity/Detail:

• Dialogue Reproduction:

Video: 96

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity:

• Black level/Shadow detail:

• Color reproduction:

• Fleshtones:

• Compression:

IMAX Born to be wild comes to Blu-ray Disc from Warner Home Video featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 26 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 4.3 Mbps.

This is a reference quality high definition presentation that boasts brilliant color, superlative depth, and an abundance of high level detail. The nature defined color palette is alluring as the deep, vivid, greens and resplendent earth toned hues leap from the 1.85:1 framed video. Contrast balance is spot on and blacks are delineated, deep, and rich. Resolution is impeccable as the vastness and scope of the recorded elements offers lucid, three dimensional acuity that is extraordinary. These beautifully captured images of our planet can be captivating as the richness of color, transparently rendered detail, and near infinite sense of depth and dimension are assuredly conveyed in high definition. I can only imagine how it must have looked on the big screen.

The lossless DTS-HD MA soundtrack delivers the elements contained within this documentary film with aplomb. Morgan Freeman's running narration is clearly rendered with crisp articulation and smooth intonation. I felt that the dialogue could have been a bit more forward within the front soundstage but otherwise presented very well. The front three channels are integration nicely and combine high level detail/clarity with pinpoint imaging. Mark Motherbaugh's music score has appreciable top end air and smoothly rendered instrumentation as its primary elements are delivered through the front speakers with enveloping rear channel ambience used to broaden the soundstage. The surrounds are effectively used to reproduce the various sounds of the forest, near field panning effects and low level atmospherics. This isn't an aggressive surround mix but this audio presentation mates perfectly with the source and sounds great.

Bonus Features:

• (HD) Webisodes (6 segments)

1. Borneo
    2. Kenya
    3. Camp Leakey
    4. Coming home to Tsavo
    5. Wild filmmaking
    6. Caregivers
  • Bonus DVD

• Ultraviolet Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

IMAX Born to be wild is a wonderful documentary film that stands as a testament to the devotion/work of two fascinating women, primatologist Dr. Birute Mary Galdikas and Dame Daphne M. Sheldrick, and the countless success stories of the animals they have saved and continue to provide for. As you might expect it looks stunning on Blu-ray and features excellent lossless sound quality and a rather bland supplemental offering that consists of a series of behind the scenes/on location webisodes. Be that as it may, this is a rewarding documentary film that contains poignant subject matter and superlative imagery that is perfect for genre fans or family entertainment.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS55 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector

Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100 16x9 Screen

Onkyo PR-SC5508 THX Ultra 2 Audio/Video Processor

Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier

Oppo BDP-93 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)

Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)

Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)

Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)

System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control

Canton "Ergo" Series speakers

Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers

SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)

APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector

Furman SPR-20i Stable Power Regulator

Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling

Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

See less See more
#5 ·
...several moments later and I realized it wasn't the 3D review

But if the 2D gets that good a grade, buying the 3D should be a safe bet

#9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Matt /forum/post/21896567

I get the feeling this one will make for reference 3D material. Probably a safe bet scooping this one up.

I just watched the first 15 minutes of the 3D blu-ray on my PN51D8000 and man is it beautiful. To be honest, I don't know what "reference level" 3D material looks like but I can honestly say that this is by far the best use of 3D that I've seen.

The picture, even in 3D, is absolutely clear. It produces really good depth without trying. The colors are gorgeous and the scenery is breath taking. This will definitely be the blu-ray I use to show off the capabilities of my new TV.

I also have the following 3D content: IMAX Under The Sea. Tangled. Transformers DOTM. Cars 2. Puss N Boots. Comcast 3D programming and multiple 3D PS3 games. Born To Be Wild is by far the best use of 3D I've seen. I have not seen Avatar 3D at home.

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupedogg24 /forum/post/21917483

I just watched the first 15 minutes of the 3D blu-ray on my PN51D8000 and man is it beautiful. To be honest, I don't know what "reference level" 3D material looks like but I can honestly say that this is by far the best use of 3D that I've seen.

The picture, even in 3D, is absolutely clear. It produces really good depth without trying. The colors are gorgeous and the scenery is breath taking. This will definitely be the blu-ray I use to show off the capabilities of my new TV.

I also have the following 3D content: IMAX Under The Sea. Tangled. Transformers DOTM. Cars 2. Puss N Boots. Comcast 3D programming and multiple 3D PS3 games. Born To Be Wild is by far the best use of 3D I've seen. I have not seen Avatar 3D at home.

Greetings,

Thanks for sharing your impressions of the 3D presentation rupedogg24. Glad it looks great.

Regards,

#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts /forum/post/21918077

Greetings,

Thanks for sharing your impressions of the 3D presentation rupedogg24. Glad it looks great.

Regards,

No problem.

I sat down with the wife last night and watched the rest of the movie. The IMAX 3D presentation is amazing. She couldn't stop commenting on how good the 3D picture looked.

I would recommend this to anyone that likes these types of films, wants to show off their new 3D TV's, or have a 2 year old, like mine, who loves monkeys. In 2d of coarse.

#12 ·
This was probably the best integration and presentation of 3D that I have seen to date. I bought this Blu Ray 3D when it was released and don't regret it for a second - something I can't say about several other recent purchases. The 3D imagery is never, ever gimmicky or used to "show off". It is simply breathtaking in its execution and there are several moments of truly feeling like you are right there in the wilderness with the animals and their caretakers.

Those looking for in-your-face stunts won't find many of those, but the depth and beauty of this presentation will win them over nonetheless. I simply cannot imagine a better use of 3D in giving a viewer the immediacy of this film, along with an interesting story that parallels two similar women as they devote their lives to these spectacular animals. It's absolutely reference material in my view and shows how 3D can not only add value, but do it seamlessly, without drawing direct attention to itself as the reason for making the film.

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes /forum/post/21947824

Watched this today and compared the 2D and 3D versions. As always, the 2D looks better in every way but the 3D is about as good as it gets. Highly recommended program, even if a bit short in length. Bonus features are interesting and add about 20 min.

While admitting I only watched the 3D version, I can't imagine the criteria used to say that the 2D looks better "in every way". Maybe brightness in your personal setup or something to do with the quality of projection/tv, etc? After watching this in 3D, I couldn't imagine going to the 2D for any improvement. It's a film (admittedly short) that I can easily see viewing again in few weeks, just for the experience.

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by flint350 /forum/post/21949570

While admitting I only watched the 3D version, I can't imagine the criteria used to say that the 2D looks better "in every way". Maybe brightness in your personal setup or something to do with the quality of projection/tv, etc? After watching this in 3D, I couldn't imagine going to the 2D for any improvement. It's a film (admittedly short) that I can easily see viewing again in few weeks, just for the experience.

Suggest you do some comparisons. 3D costs you resolution, contrast, color and brightness on any given title. It's the nature of 3D and the way our vision and the technology works. This title is no exception.

Next time I watch it will be in 2D.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.