AVS Forum banner
5M views 32K replies 4K participants last post by  bradman 
#1 ·
#3,244 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by transco /forum/post/0

Saturday I pick up my PS3 and would like to get a BR disc at the same time so I can convince my wife this was worth doing. What's a good disc to demonstrate BR sound and picture, keeping in mind that I only have component video and 5.1 Dolby and DTS?

I hate to recommend specific titles because I believe in buying movies you like, but if that's not an issue, Open Season and Crank are supposed to be very good looking. See the Tier thread in the software forum for what are considered to be the best-looking titles based on sharpness and clarity.

#3,246 ·

Quote:

Saturday I pick up my PS3 and would like to get a BR disc at the same time so I can convince my wife this was worth doing. What's a good disc to demonstrate BR sound and picture, keeping in mind that I only have component video and 5.1 Dolby and DTS?

According to a review over at DVDTalk.com the movie "The Prestige" on BR is supopsed to look very good. Came out Tuesday I believe.

#3,247 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang5o /forum/post/0

It's weird. I worked for BB from 1991-1996. When I started they were opening up a new store and I got a full weeks of product/department specific training before the store even opened. They also had ongoing product training pretty much the whole time I was there. Did they discontinue this type of thing? I guess I could understand not training the general person who works in the video game area on a bunch of technical stuff. Not that it's a good idea with the nature of these consoles. However, they should maybe train the A/V department about it then at least they could direct customers over there for questions on BD players (including the PS3).

Just some of my thoughts. Like I said, when I worked there, it seemed like we had a bunch of knowledgeable people. I don't know what happened. Then again, I am geek on home theater and A/V so I generally know as much or more then even the high end shops. With some exceptions of course.

I worked there from 1995 to 1998. I had the same experience. The people that I worked with did everything that they could to learn about the products and be knowledgable. Some of the information that these guys have been sharing lately is based on bias toward one system or the other. I can tell you now, if I did not keep up with current happenings in my industry, I wouldn't have a job.

#3,249 ·

Quote:

Ahhh, this looks like a good 'wife-friendly' movie. "The Prestige" it is... thanks!

You could also go with Chicago.

fuad

#3,250 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian27 /forum/post/0

Hi Greg...In order to get the uncompressed audio tracks with the PS3, you need a receiver or pre pro with an HDMI input that can handle the multichannel audio. If you want to keep on using your Rotel, you would have to get a new Blu-ray player with the analogue outputs and I am pretty sure that all the other Blu-ray players have them...the PS3 is the only one that you must use HDMI to get the uncompressed audio tracks. Since you are still using the PS3 with your Rotel via toslink...set the audio output to BITSTREAM in order to get the 5.1 audio.

***Also...I'm not sure if you know this...but...even if you use the toslink connection, the audio for the dolby digital and DTS tracks are better than what you would get with a standard dvd...For instance...if you check the display through the PS3 while playing back your Blu-ray movie, you will see that the dolby digital track is a higher bitrate at 640 kbps and DTS at 1.5...standard dolby digital dvd's are usually around 340 kbps and DTS somewhere around 740 kbps I think, depending on the disk.***

ps...If you decide on getting a new avr with an HDMI input...make sure you get one that does the LFE channel correctly. If you do a search here, you will see that some of the Pioneer and possibly Yamaha avr's do not handle the LFE boost correctly through HDMI. I do know that the Denon avr's all handle it properly.

Take care,

Brian

I'm looking for an new receiver also. Can anyone confirm if Onkyo receivers (674 in particular) handle the LFE boost correctly?

#3,251 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mairj /forum/post/0

I'm looking for an new receiver also. Can anyone confirm if Onkyo receivers (674 in particular) handle the LFE boost correctly?

I have had no problems with the LFE boost, as a matter of fact, at times, I almost feel the need to turn the subwoofer down.

#3,253 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by J y E 4Ever /forum/post/0

I agree 100%

Well, I don't feel the need to turn it down but it does kick serious butt.

Hey, how about that jedu, we actually lucked out with something.

Something.

I got the splitter and another HDMI tonight. Couldn't get them from Monoprice since everything is backordered, even 3ft HDMI cables. I will test it here in a bit and reply tomorrow.

This is my bandaid until Sony or Onkyo fix the friggin' handshake issue.

UPDATE: Tried is last night and it did not work. I got a purple screen on my hdmi2 and it said only 480p output...it was a mess. I am sure that I did something wrong, so I will try again tonight. Hopefully it is not the equipement I bought. I was so concerned about not knocking over my center channel, that I think I had issues in how it was hooked up. Wish me luck!

#3,254 ·
What are the differences between YPbPr and RGB where HDMI/DVI connections are concerned? I understand that Y refers to luminance while Pb & Pr are the color components. I understand that RGB refers to the red, green, and blue color components.

I don't understand how with HDMI these settings come into play and in particular, if one would be a preferred setting over another if one had the choice between the two.

Please enlighten me.

Thanks.

One more question... My tele is a Sony native 768p LCD... I know that for blue ray playback I want to select 1080i, but what is the ideal setting for games? 720p is closer to my native resolution, but obviously slightly lower...

Thanks again.

#3,255 ·

Quote:

Ahhh, this looks like a good 'wife-friendly' movie. "The Prestige" it is... thanks!

Gee, how do I do this without spoilers? Based on certain developments in that movie, some wives might not consider it "wife friendly."
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Both wives in the movie end up dying violent deaths.
Chicago might be the better choice.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Of course, Chicago has violence and explosions--but since the wife is doing the shooting, maybe that's ok with wives.
As with the early days of DVD, films that don't involve violence and explosions aren't getting much play in the Blue-Ray format. Just as in the first months of DVD, for example, Sense and Sensibility was announced for release and then un-announced.

The Prestige does look fabulous in Blu-Ray.

#3,256 ·
Hello everyone. Just got a used PS3 cheap from some kid who got it as a Xmas present and needed cash to pay bills.

Picture looks stunning on a Vizio 47" 1080p screen.

Is there any way to switch the audio output from HDMI (direct to TV speakers) to optical (HT receiver) without going to the PS3 settings menu ? I have an older receiver that has no HDMI inputs...

#3,257 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by backmeup /forum/post/0

What are the differences between YPbPr and RGB where HDMI/DVI connections are concerned? I understand that Y refers to luminance while Pb & Pr are the color components. I understand that RGB refers to the red, green, and blue color components.

I don't understand how with HDMI these settings come into play and in particular, if one would be a preferred setting over another if one had the choice between the two.

They are different colorspaces for video. See this thread for more info (there are probably better threads, but at least it's a start). The bottom line is that it will depend on your display and connection. You may see no difference, or you may see something very wrong with the picture if you don't have the right one selected.

#3,258 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tingham /forum/post/0

Hello to All,

Does anyone know what the red, green, blue, and yellow squares in the bd/dvd menu are for? I select them but nothing happens. They are in the menu if you push the triangle button on the sixaxis while playing a movie disc. Any response would be appreciated.

I'd just like to bump this post to see if anybody has an answer for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J y E 4Ever /forum/post/0

I once asked a BB employee where their HDMI-DVI adapter's were located and he said, "No problem, i'll get that for you".

He brought me component cables.

Hence why I didn't initially ask for him to get me one, just where were they were located. But that didn't matter, did it.

Wait for it, here it comes......LOFOL!

I have several BB stories, but most recently I went in to get a DVI to HDMI adapter. Female DVI to HDMI Male for a long DVI cable I already had. I just asked where they were because I planned on getting it myself. But the guy grabbed it for me and instead grabbed a HDMI to DVI adapter, the opposite of what I needed. He gave it to me with a smile and ran off. I didn't feel like letting him know it wasn't what I needed so I just put it back and kept looking.

It turned out they were actually out of stock on what I needed so I ended up having to look for a few minutes, and the employee came back asking if I needed more help. I let him know he had given me the wrong thing and he said "you wanted a HDMI/DVI adapter, right?" I said "yes, but I needed an DVI-to-HDMI adapter and not the HDMI-to-DVI adapter." He had a very perplexed look on his face as if he didn't know what the difference was. I showed him the empty slot where the ones I needed were so that he could see there was a difference in product number and type, and he seemed even more confused at that point and asked what I needed it for. I explained it and he understood fine and kinda put on a show as if to imply I hadn't explained correctly, but it was pretty obvious he was clueless. He did one of those, "ohhhhh, you needed a DVI to HDMI adapter..." ...right

In defense of the other knowledgeable BB employees and the ones who post here that used to work there, I think it's just the same as any other job (accounting, high school referree, teacher, etc), if you enjoy your work and what/who you are working with, you will take more pride and get the job done right. If it's just somethin you consider a necessary evil that pays the bills, you will half-ass it. I'm sure there are lots of guys at BB that know what they're talking about, but it just so happens that the times we run into the guys who are clueless are much more memorable

Brandon

#3,259 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bplewis24 /forum/post/0

In defense of the other knowledgeable BB employees and the ones who post here that used to work there, I think it's just the same as any other job (accounting, high school referree, teacher, etc), if you enjoy your work and what/who you are working with, you will take more pride and get the job done right. If it's just somethin you consider a necessary evil that pays the bills, you will half-ass it.

Brandon

I think it depends more on upbringing than enjoyment, although that has something to do with it. I was taught to take pride in everything that I do, no matter how mundane. Even though I hated my job at times at BB and when I worked for the state, I still strove for excellence in everything that I did as a reflection of me. I guess I didn't want people making fun of me on these threads.

Of course I digress....

Brandon, got any other ideas about the Onkyo 674 and PS3 issue?

#3,260 ·
About the yellow, green, red, and blue squares in the menu......I heard somewhere that you can set them to certain functions, but they don't do anything until you program them (who knows how to do that? lol). Those same buttons are on the PS3 Blu Ray remote control.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.