AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Current and Future Samsung LED Owners Thread

123K views 1K replies 187 participants last post by  htwaits 
#1 ·
I realize this may be one of those cases of putting "the cart before the horse", but as one of those people who pre-ordered the HL-S5679W, I figured we need a place to whine and commiserate over the next 5 or 6 weeks, while we wait for these beauties to get delivered.

We can also post questions, reviews, URLs, and other pertinent information as it becomes available. Once the sets start delivering, we can also post set-up tips, screen shots, help requests, etcetera.

Divided, we are the "Crazy consumers of first generation technology." United, we are "Post beta-testing early adopters." ! Be proud! Sit tall! Sign in and make yourselves known! LED-HEDs of the world, we are the vanguard! [/pep talk] :D

#2 ·
I also pre-ordered one of these sets. Does anyone have any thoughts on the brightness issues that some have raised as concerns?

#3 ·
Pre ordered mine this a.m.!!!!!!!!!!! I've heard the brightness is on par with the bulb sets. Contrast ratio is listed as the same, plus I don't think anyone ever uses these things at their max brightness anyway. I have pretty good control over the light in my living room.

Glad to be one of the first on this thread! This unit will be part of a ground up home theater upgrade for me. What will you guys be running on your sets? I just purchased a Panasonic S97 from Vanns. Not ready to take the HD/BR plunge. Might give it a year or two. Also, how do you feel about all the talk about the LED being "new technology", as far a affecting your buying decision. I look at it as tried and true DLP tech with the benefit of a more dependable light source with less moving parts.

This was longer than I planned!

#5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninthdragon
I realize this may be one of those cases of putting "the cart before the horse", but as one of those people who pre-ordered the HL-S5679W, I figured we need a place to whine and commiserate over the next 5 or 6 weeks, while we wait for these beauties to get delivered.

We can also post questions, reviews, URLs, and other pertinent information as it becomes available. Once the sets start delivering, we can also post set-up tips, screen shots, help requests, etcetera.

Divided, we are the "Crazy consumers of first generation technology." United, we are "Post beta-testing early adopters." ! Be proud! Sit tall! Sign in and make yourselves known! LED-HEDs of the world, we are the vanguard! [/pep talk] :D
I'm very interested in your upcoming reviews and I'm glad you started this thread. The LED based DLP's could a breakthrough product and a good consumer friendly product. I really want to know if its true that LED based DLP's will eliminate the rainbow effect. We know it will eliminate bulb replacement which is HUGE. :)

#6 ·
If you guys survive, I'll be right behind you when the 61" model is widely available.

That sounds like I'm lagging. :rolleyes:

I'll be hanging on ever word. Good luck.

#7 ·
I was fortunate that the 56 inch was the first available since thats the biggest I'll be able to fit in my home-made entertainment center. I'll post some pictures once its up and running.

Might I add again that I'm thankful for this thread that focuses on the LED model. It was getting old skipping through the non-LED posts.

#8 ·
I'm just bummed that it is delayed. I've been wanting a big-screen for a while now, and pre-ordered my 5679 like a month ago from Tweeter, who had a May 2 delivery date (to their warehouse). Now I find that it has been postponed until June 13...a month and a half away. I'll be thinking if I want to wait that long, or get the 5688 when it supposedly comes out in just a few weeks (May 15 is what I was told). I just wish there was more information to keep me interested in paying the extra $700 for the 5679, and waiting 2.5 months since I returned a Sony SXRD.

#9 ·
I was actually a potential LCOS (Sony or JVC) buyer, but the friggin dumbo-ears (Sony) and several negative threads (JVC) scared me off. Not that the Sammy will be without problems. It just seemed like the way to go. Really like the idea of the LED technology. Samsung seems to have a pretty good rep amongst the forums and I've also read some pretty positive reviews of recent DLP sets. The main negatives from them were the rainbows (now a thing of the past) and the inability to easily disengage the DNile (now also a thing of the past according to initial reports).

Anyway, I'm sure whatever issues may arise, it will be a quantum leap from my 10+ yo Panasonic 27 inch CRT!

Keep 'em coming!

#11 ·
Welcome aboard! I'm hoping that this will be one great ride! I have always liked DLP technology, and I think this will be one great display. Two factors sold me on this set. One is the lack of a color wheel. No rainbows! Not that I see them, but, that is a load off my mind! Second is not having to worry about consumables (MH bulbs). Remember when a $200 bulb was supposed to last 8,000 hours? Now it seems they only last 4-6,000 hours! I think that 20,000 hours for the LED array is probably the low end of the spectrum. That number will just improve in the future. I agree with Big Bri that this is not really "new technology" as such. It is just untried in a mass market configuration in this particular iteration. I am comfortable enough with it that I am laying down the $! I don't think that brightness will be an issue in the 56" size. With laser chips getting closer every day, it may never become one. I do have a couple of questions, though -
  • When will a 61"+ size be available?
  • Will it also be LED, or will it transition directly to laser?
  • Will Samsung implement the HDMI 1.3 spec, or make us wait until later models?
  • How long will all this take to come to pass?
  • Will I have to buy another set sooner than I expected?

I'm glad that I have some friends to chat with while we wait for Samsung to help us fill in some of the blanks.

#12 ·
Just because they lack a color wheel doesn't mean the rainbow problem won't exist at all. The color wheel is eliminated because they have separate arrays of LEDs for each color. The problem still is there. However, I read somewhere recently on this board somewhere (I forget who the poster was or if it was from another page linked by someone on this board) that the LEDs are about equivalent to having a 48x color wheel... I see DLP rainbows but I don't think I'll be able to see them here.

#13 ·
According to an Air Force study, a color wheel spinning at 30x should make rainbows invisible to human perception. At 48x, no rainbows! That being said, we will only know for sure when these sets become available to the public and some of our more sensitive-eyed members go check them out for us.

#17 ·
I've never been a big purchaser of extended warranties, especially on new products from dependable sources/manufacturers. That being said, I did purchase a Squaretrade 2 yr warranty on a recent purchase online of a Denon 5803 demo unit, but that was only because it was used.

#19 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeSnake
Is it a scam?
As I understand it, your warranty adds 5 years of coverage to the end of the manufacturers warranty. Now, if you made the purchase of the 5679 with a CC that doubles the manufacturers warranty (an AMEX card?) to two years...Well, you do the math. Keep in mind that RepairMaster is an international company that gives you world wide access to your coverage. Not bad, huh?

#20 ·
Any of you guys hear about a more easily defeatable DNile? Thought I saw somewhere that it was now accessable from one of the main menues. This was a big hang-up for some of the pro reviews of last years models.

#23 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninthdragon
Welcome aboard! I'm hoping that this will be one great ride! I have always liked DLP technology, and I think this will be one great display. Two factors sold me on this set. One is the lack of a color wheel. No rainbows! Not that I see them, but, that is a load off my mind! Second is not having to worry about consumables (MH bulbs). Remember when a $200 bulb was supposed to last 8,000 hours? Now it seems they only last 4-6,000 hours! I think that 20,000 hours for the LED array is probably the low end of the spectrum. That number will just improve in the future. I agree with Big Bri that this is not really "new technology" as such. It is just untried in a mass market configuration in this particular iteration. I am comfortable enough with it that I am laying down the $! I don't think that brightness will be an issue in the 56" size. With laser chips getting closer every day, it may never become one. I do have a couple of questions, though -
  • When will a 61"+ size be available?
  • Will it also be LED, or will it transition directly to laser?
  • Will Samsung implement the HDMI 1.3 spec, or make us wait until later models?
  • How long will all this take to come to pass?
  • Will I have to buy another set sooner than I expected?

I'm glad that I have some friends to chat with while we wait for Samsung to help us fill in some of the blanks.
Hi ninthdragon,

I don't THINK its known for sure that the TV will eliminate (I'm praying! : ) that it does, as I do see them). [I'm also going to take a look at the new SXRD's.]

Does anyone think that after the TV comes out, that Samsung will officially say (if it does of course), that it eliminates Rainbows? Or do you think they (and any other future manufacturer of LED DLP's) will never say that to cover their ass?

Thanks.

#24 ·
I don't remember them flat-out saying the LED technology eliminates rainbows. The advantage thaey were touting at CES was better color accuracy. I didn't see any rainbows on either of the two Samsung LED sets shown, and I can make myself see rainbows fairly easily (but they don't bother my normal viewing).

#26 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTK
Do LED DLP sets have the potential for screen burn-in like PDP or CRTs?
Since 2001 the answer is no. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.