AVS Forum banner
481K views 3K replies 525 participants last post by  dc9driver 
#1 ·
I thought I would start this off.

Some have reported they have one of these Wega's.

Let's start to see some feedback on the new sets.

Differences from the A10 that I noted:

- Component Video Inputs: 3 (1 Side / 2 Rear)

- 2 HDMI connects

- LCD chip size 0.73" combined resolution of over 2.76 million pixels

>Old A10 - LCD chip size 0.87" combined resolution of over 3.1 million pixels

- Cinema Black Pro: Includes Iris and Advanced Iris control (is this new?)

Cheers!

See less See more
#2 ·
LCD chip size 0.73" combined resolution of over 2.76 million pixels

so you are telling me the a10 will have a HIGHER resultion picture because of the number of pixels vs the new model

#3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgillyjcu /forum/post/0

so you are telling me the a10 will have a HIGHER resultion picture because of the number of pixels vs the new model

These are the posted specs. They can be wrong though.

#5 ·
I have a question though: it seems that the E2000 line has completely removed support for VGA connectivity... is this correct?

I realize that HDMI is nice, but you can buy a $100 switch if you really HAVE to have two HDMI inputs... but by just buying the A10's instead (at a MUCH cheaper price than these brand new ones), you also get the option of VGA hookup, plus CableCard (which the E2000's seem to lack).

Anyone else feel that these two downgrades in trade for another HDMI port just isn't a great value? Especially for 300 dollars MORE than the A10 (which has identical specs otherwise)?

#6 ·
I see your point and its def. a valid one.

Only problem is I like the 55 inch screen size and I cannot get an a10 in that size.

we all know that sony goofed with the a20's and the a10's are much much better in quality

If i had to buy a 50 right now......i'd take the a10 at the discount its at right now and then by the switches later

#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgillyjcu /forum/post/0

I see your point and its def. a valid one.

Only problem is I like the 55 inch screen size and I cannot get an a10 in that size.

we all know that sony goofed with the a20's and the a10's are much much better in quality

If i had to buy a 50 right now......i'd take the a10 at the discount its at right now and then by the switches later

It sounds like some people have found the new 50 inch..any idea where, or when the new sizes come out. Sonystyle still says July. I couldn't get anybody at BB to confirm that.

#9 ·
The 46E2000 ships in July. I picked up a 50E2000 last week from my dealer. You'll notice that Cable Card has been eliminated along with the RGB PC input. These two features didn't mean nothing for me so losing them isn't an issue. I don't mine the second HDMI input though, even though my receiver does HDMI switching. Certain buttons on the remote are laid out different also, mute is now down by vloume up & down. Menu settings are slightly different, such as external inputs, which is on the top now above favorites, cable, antenna, settings. Picture quality is still great. I returned a 50A10 that was taking to long to power up along with some additional clicks that I didn't like. My dealer swapped me even for the 50E2000.

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDVidGuy /forum/post/0

Differences from the A10 that I noted:

- Component Video Inputs: 3 (1 Side / 2 Rear)

- 2 HDMI connects

- LCD chip size 0.73" combined resolution of over 2.76 million pixels

- Cinema Black Pro: Includes Iris and Advanced Iris control (is this new?)

HDVidGuy, I believe you are mixing up some of the features of the A10 and A20 series since though the A20 series had only 2 component video inputs the A10 series did have 3. Also the pixel numbers you get are based on all three LCD panels and the actual resolution for the new displays, and the A10s, is 720x1280. The A20s have a WSXGA (768x1366) resolution which is a tad higher but also makes scaling a lot harder. And as for Cinema Black Pro it was a feature that was on the A10 series last year, but was not on the A20. Personally I think the E2000s are a moderate improvement over the A10s and a major improvement over the A20s.

From reading the user manual I can see that their are three major changes with the E2000s over the A10s. The first change is that they got rid of the VGA input and added another HDMI input. The second change is that they now allow PC resolutions for the HDMI inputs and added a no overscan resolution of 1152x648. The third change was the removal of the Cablecard input, which considering the increasingly popularity of DVRs makes sense in my opinion. I would add though that these are only the changes that I can see in the user manual for the E2000s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmeader /forum/post/0

I have a question though: it seems that the E2000 line has completely removed support for VGA connectivity... is this correct?

Yes, but both HDMI inputs can now accept computer resolutions.

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Paul /forum/post/0

Yes, but both HDMI inputs can now accept computer resolutions.

Does that help in connecting a computer to the set though? Is there a VGA to HDMI connector readily available for purchase online? Honestly, I don't care about CableCard either, but the VGA input is a big selling point for me if there's no other replacement for it on the E2000.

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Paul /forum/post/0

HDVidGuy, I believe you are mixing up some of the features of the A10 and A20 series...

Might be due to the fact I pulled the specs off Sony.ca.

Thanks for the udpate.

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmeader /forum/post/0

Does that help in connecting a computer to the set though? Is there a VGA to HDMI connector readily available for purchase online?

Their is no such thing as a VGA to HDMI connector, but most modern video cards have a DVI output.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDVidGuy /forum/post/0

Might be due to the fact I pulled the specs off Sony.ca.

Thanks for the udpate.

Happy to help and if you go to the sony.com site they list the specs for the displays a tad more clearly there. Also here is the user manual for the E2000s and the user manual for the A10s.

#15 ·
ThePrisoner wrote:

I picked up a 50E2000 last week from my dealer. You'll notice that Cable Card has been eliminated along with the RGB PC input. These two features didn't mean nothing for me so losing them isn't an issue. I don't mine the second HDMI input though, even though my receiver does HDMI switching. Certain buttons on the remote are laid out different also, mute is now down by vloume up & down. Menu settings are slightly different, such as external inputs, which is on the top now above favorites, cable, antenna, settings. Picture quality is still great. I returned a 50A10 that was taking to long to power up along with some additional clicks that I didn't like. My dealer swapped me even for the 50E2000.

Sounds like a great dealer! Keep us posted on the E2000 and write a lengthy review after you've had it awhile! I'm planning to get one in a few months!

Tom

#19 ·
I picked up the 50E2000 last week. I calibrated my inputs using Avia, DVE and HDNet test patterns. I don't see any excessive red push like I did when I had the 50A10. The picture is great when viewing HD material, either from TWC or my Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD player. I would say the picture is about equal of the A10 series. The biggest diffrence is 2 HDMI inputs, no Cable Card and no RGB PC input. The menus are a little different and the remote is laid out slightly different. There is no difference in cosmetics, the E2000's look just like the A10 series. They do make a 55E2000 also.

#20 ·
Well I decided to go with the A10 over the E2000. In Canada the E2000 series (50" and below) won't be out until Sept. With the A10's selling a such a good price this was a no brainer.

Love the set!

I sat on the fence for 3 years watching a 27" CRT TV.

Let's just say my family is very impressed. HD is awesome, which is almost all we watch other then DVD.

Why wait.

#21 ·
I'd love to hear from more people (if there IS anyone) who has an E2000 set.

I've pretty much decided to wait for this set rather than pick up an A10, but up here in Vancouver, Canada, no one really knows when they'll be out.

In the meantime it would be great to see some real-life pics of these sets and hear some more user experience.

#24 ·
Um , because one is $1600 and one is $3000? And if you sit 10-12 feet from a 50", as MANY on here seem to, the difference between 720P and 1080P is almost imperceptible.

I was planning on holding off for the A2000's also... but now I'm going to go with the A10 and add that 1400 I'm saving to my "SED in 5 years" fund instead.

#25 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampson1943 /forum/post/0

As a novice who is comparing sets; I ask why would one not wait to get LCOS and 1080P over LCD? I can't fit a SXRD with dumbo ears in space.

I was pretty excited about the A2000's when they were announced. But there is still a major price difference between them and the E2000's.

I'd love the 50" A2000 over the 50" E2000, but I don't see the benefits worth the extra $$. If it was, say, $500 - $750 more, then I'd likely go for it.

As well, I *should* be able to get my hands on an E2000 sooner.

If anyone in Vancouver/Victoria area has info on where to get one, please please share that info!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.