AVS Forum banner

Samsung DTB-H260F ATSC tuner

660K views 4K replies 574 participants last post by  Jcat12 
#1 ·
Samsung showed their new ATSC tuner, the replacement for the SIR-T451, at CEDIA:

http://www.engadgethd.com/2006/09/14...ver-dtb-h260f/

I wonder if it uses a fifth-generation chipset? And if it does QAM (cable) beyond channel 125, the limitation that the SIR-T451 had?

#4 ·
E mail reply from Samsung about this unit follows:

Thank you for contacting Samsung technical email support. We appreciate your business, and hope to assist you in any way that we can.

This model is indeed planned to have a built-in digital tuner to receive HDTV signals from the air. The release date is not official yet, but estimates have it at early 2007. This is subject to change of course, but that is the plan as of now. Hope this helps.

#6 ·
Quote:
By Robert Heron

Samsung's booth at CEDIA was a showcase of impressive video products, but two new yet rather unassuming items caught my attention. The DTB-H260F Digital HDTV Receiver ($179 MSRP) is a pint-sized set-top terrestrial digital tuner (ATSC) that also supports unencrypted QAM (digital cable) reception. The DTB-H260F includes a comfortable remote control and features HDMI, component, and composite video outputs as well as an optical digital audio output. If your current TV lacks a digital tuner for over-the-air reception, the DTB-H260F may be an upgrade worth considering. The DTB-H260F will be available late October.

#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by radicand /forum/post/0

Does anyone know the timing on this tuner? I thought I had read October somewhere, but I can't find the reference (or the tuner
)

Thanks,
Samsung's booth at CEDIA was a showcase of impressive video products, but two new yet rather unassuming items caught my attention. The DTB-H260F Digital HDTV Receiver ($179 MSRP) is a pint-sized set-top terrestrial digital tuner (ATSC) that also supports unencrypted QAM (digital cable) reception. The DTB-H260F includes a comfortable remote control and features HDMI, component, and composite video outputs as well as an optical digital audio output. If your current TV lacks a digital tuner for over-the-air reception, the DTB-H260F may be an upgrade worth considering. The DTB-H260F will be available late October.

#9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100/40 /forum/post/0

E mail reply from Samsung about this unit follows:

The release date is not official yet, but estimates have it at early 2007. This is subject to change of course, but that is the plan as of now. Hope this helps.

Here's another sample from Samsung, just received today:

"Thank you for contacting Samsung e-mail support,

Preliminary information indicates that the DTB-H260F should be available late October and should have an MSRP of $179.00.

As always, preliminary information is subject to change. No information is final until the product is actually released."

#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100/40 /forum/post/0

Am I missing something? I see no mention of QAM at the Samsung website description. The CEDIA show description mentioned QAM.

From the DTB-H260F manual on Samsung's website, newly posted today:

Specifications

General Specifications

Broadcasting standard: DTV (ATSC)

Demodulation Method: 8-VSB, QAM (free channel only)

Can't wait to get one and give it a test drive. I'm hoping it uses the 5th generation chipset from LG.

#15 ·
See sticky thread HDTV STB Synopsis at the begining of Reception hardware. STB with fw listed.

#16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadzby /forum/post/0

From the DTB-H260F manual on Samsung's website, newly posted today:

Specifications

General Specifications

Broadcasting standard: DTV (ATSC)

Demodulation Method: 8-VSB, QAM (free channel only)

Can't wait to get one and give it a test drive. I'm hoping it uses the 5th generation chipset from LG.

Pete at HDTV Expert will be reviewing this tuner and he mentioned in an email to me it has the LG 5th.

#18 ·
I'm out in a fringe area, and some of the "local" digital stations have significant co-channel interference from analog stations in other cities. I wonder if anyone will test this box in this kind of situation before I have a chance to get my hands on one.

#19 ·
#20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davinleeds /forum/post/0

Pete at HDTV Expert will be reviewing this tuner and he mentioned in an email to me it has the LG 5th.

I can't resist trying this tuner since I have several important stations on the edge. But what bothers me about Peter Putman's *scientific* tests it sounds like he did that comparison with the 4200A looped out of the sammy? In other words likely padded down 3.5dB. I've done that looping occasionally and it is often the difference between lock or not (from both under or overload) depending on which tuner is first in the chain. I know my LG's don't boost the loop out. The only meaningful comparison would use as close to the identical signal as possible, which would mean A/B not loop.

It still may be close in that configuration, just because the LG is so easy to overload. But most any tuner may lose lock on a marginal signal padded -3.5dB.

#21 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davinleeds /forum/post/0

Good news - thanks for posting that info. I live in an area with good signal strength but lots of multipath, so I'm looking forward to swapping out my old 2nd gen (?) receiver.

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettylewben /forum/post/0

Called Samsung today about where I could buy the DTB-H260F tuner. The guy on the phone said it should be available sometime this month(October 06) and I could buy one at either Circuit City or Best Buy.

I'm receiving conflicting messages. I called BB up yesterday, and the sales associate told me they were getting out of the business of selling standalone HD tuners. Hence, they would not carry the new Samsung. Go figure.

Hopefully Samsung is correct - I'd be surprised if BB doesn't sell this new unit.

#23 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadzby /forum/post/0

I'm receiving conflicting messages. I called BB up yesterday, and the sales associate told me they were getting out of the business of selling standalone HD tuners. Hence, they would not carry the new Samsung. Go figure.

Hopefully Samsung is correct - I'd be surprised if BB doesn't sell this new unit.

When the masses of OTA only households start buying them in 09, BB will certainly be in the DTV tuner business.

#25 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenL /forum/post/0

I can't resist trying this tuner since I have several important stations on the edge. But what bothers me about Peter Putman's *scientific* tests it sounds like he did that comparison with the 4200A looped out of the sammy? In other words likely padded down 3.5dB. I've done that looping occasionally and it is often the difference between lock or not (from both under or overload) depending on which tuner is first in the chain. I know my LG's don't boost the loop out. The only meaningful comparison would use as close to the identical signal as possible, which would mean A/B not loop.

It still may be close in that configuration, just because the LG is so easy to overload. But most any tuner may lose lock on a marginal signal padded -3.5dB.

If I read the article correctly, it was the other way around. But as he mentions, you need good reception to begin with, then it will handle the multipath. Bummer for my situation.