AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sony BluRay Player DELAYED AGAIN!!!

9K views 82 replies 46 participants last post by  kjack 
#1 ·
SonyStyle web site "Shipping on or about DEC 4th"

#4 ·
I have never seen a company, with so much at stake with a new product, do so little to help their own cause. It's unbelievable. They've put out the worst quality high-def disc releases of any studio, and can't get their own (now inadequately featured) player out the door. Pitiful.

I thought I really wanted a Blu-Ray player before launch, but now have no confidence that this format will remain viable outside of Sony's PS3 game market. If it wasn't for the Warner BD releases, I think they would have lost all momentum to keep BD alive as a successful video disc format.

Greg (owns HD-DVD, but is not usuaally so inflammatory againt Blu-Ray, sorry!)

#6 ·
I'm not defending Sony, trust me, but their player is being OEM'd in part by Pioneer. If you want confirmation, check out numerous threads, and a pic of the the back panel shown in another recent thread.

Since Pioneer has delayed their player, it makes sense that the Sony will also be delayed until Sony & Pioneer are ready. But I do agree completely with gsearles that Sony has not done well at all in this product launch, making some bad decisions along the way.

At least that's my take as an eager consumer. In the meantime, I'm completely enjoying my HD-DVD :D

ss9001

#7 ·
Well, I usually never bought Sony equipment that I would have known to be OEM'd. I own plenty of Sony Audio/Video and accessory type gear. However, for a breakthrough product like this one, to be OEM'd, even by Pioneer, just doesn't settle well with me.

If Sony is truely going to lead us somewhere "beyond" they should at least make their own products , else the magic is gone from this buyers perspective...

#8 ·
Its pretty simple. Sony needs every last Blue Diode for the PS3 and they already have a demand that far exceeds the supply. They will sell every single PS3 they can make for at least 1 year. It comes down to priorities, and if Sony has a raw material shortage, then the PS3 is going to get priority. The BDP-S1 will be put on hold until the raw material shortage is relieved. Then, the BDP-S1 production can begin.

I mean, its not difficult for Sony to make that choice. Would you rather have a guarantee that you'll sell your product(PS3), or produce a product that might sell and see a number of them get returned(BDP-S1)?

#13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPorterhouse
Its pretty simple. Sony needs every last Blue Diode for the PS3 and they already have a demand that far exceeds the supply. They will sell every single PS3 they can make for at least 1 year. It comes down to priorities, and if Sony has a raw material shortage, then the PS3 is going to get priority. The BDP-S1 will be put on hold until the raw material shortage is relieved. Then, the BDP-S1 production can begin.

I mean, its not difficult for Sony to make that choice. Would you rather have a guarantee that you'll sell your product(PS3), or produce a product that might sell and see a number of them get returned(BDP-S1)?
Well all I can say is, if this is true then Sony is giving the shaft to their CE partners royally!! Withholding parts so that they (Sony) can put out a product which also happens to under cut your product, if I was one of them I would pissed big time!!

#14 ·
Quote:

Oh I see. So, it is more important to sell the PS3 which they are losing money on big time, rather than sell the BDP-S1, which may at least have some margin of profit to it. I wonder how many millions of those vastly unprofitable PS3s it will take to sink Sonys ship? :rolleyes:

P.S. I still want those expensive Sony products made by Sony, and in Japan hopefully!

#15 ·
Quote:

I see your point, but at the same time, the format needs a push from the movie standpoint, or else it risks losing viability as anything except a PS3 game disc format. If the Blu-Ray format became a PS3-only thing, it doesn't really help Sony much at all.

The projected sales for the movie disc player would be far less than the volume of expected PS3 sales, the profit margins are higher I'm sure, and the format needs the push in the movie realm. I personally think they should have prioritized the movie disc player higher. Just my 2 cents...

Greg

#17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001
I'm not defending Sony, trust me, but their player is being OEM'd in part by Pioneer. If you want confirmation, check out numerous threads, and a pic of the the back panel shown in another recent thread.

Since Pioneer has delayed their player, it makes sense that the Sony will also be delayed until Sony & Pioneer are ready. But I do agree completely with gsearles that Sony has not done well at all in this product launch, making some bad decisions along the way.

At least that's my take as an eager consumer. In the meantime, I'm completely enjoying my HD-DVD :D

ss9001
If that is indeed the case, why does the Sony not play CD's? The pioneer does, right?

#19 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark0
At this point Sony has got more eggs in the PS3 basket.

With all the delays of both products, it appears the movie end is getting the shaft.

I believe both Sony and Panasonic are waiting for HDMI 1.3 to be available for production. Why would they release a Blu-Ray player if it does not have the 1.3 connection? With Toshiba releasing XA2 $999 with 1.3 sometime in Dec/06 / Jan/07 timeframe, both Sony and Panasonic want to ensure they have the same technology or their Blu-Ray players could be viewed and compared with the Toshiba A2 $499 unit, which is basically what happen with Samsung Blu-Ray. :cool:

#22 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant7311
I believe both Sony and Panasonic are waiting for HDMI 1.3 to be available for production. Why would they release a Blu-Ray player if it does not have the 1.3 connection? With Toshiba releasing XA2 $999 with 1.3 sometime in Dec/06 / Jan/07 timeframe, both Sony and Panasonic want to ensure they have the same technology or their Blu-Ray players could be viewed and compared with the Toshiba A2 $499 unit, which is basically what happen with Samsung Blu-Ray. :cool:
A Sony spokesmen has already stated the BDP-S1 is too far along in the production process to change the specifications at this point. I’m sure the thread is still around for the direct quote.

#26 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-Devil
I just can't see Sony delaying the BDP-S1 to pass the diodes onto the PS3.

How many BDP-S1's do we expect Sony to sell, 10,000-20,000 max? Thats a drop in the ocean compared to the PS3's 400,000 units.

The BDP-S1 is delayed for another reason IMO.

Priorites man. Battle against microsoft is more important then selling some blu ray players to the rich.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.