AVS Forum banner

A Wagner for MississippiMan?

26K views 97 replies 23 participants last post by  whiskey > work 
#1 ·

..........well, at least I'm gonna give it a try.

At a location where there happens to be a 98" diagonal "Silver Fire Light Fusion" screen getting placed,

...........today will find me trying the Wagner's new Control Spray HVLP "All in one" Paint Gun. ( $49-$69.00)

I have already, as illustrated in the photos and the Movie file,(...soon to comee....) applied the first light coat. Forgive my seeming caution in not depending upon a untried piece of Spray Gear for such an important step. I used my trusty Ingersoll Rand 720 this time. Could it be "The Last Time?" I will be able to ascertain quickly enough if the performance of this Gun is up to the task in hand. You all will too, for this next step today will also get filmed.

YouTube, anyone?

This Gun is specifically intended for use with thin lacquers and paints.

Does it produce a even enough pattern to allow for painting overlapping rows without necessary repetition back and forth usually needed for filling in weak spots?

Does it "Spit" because of inconsistent pressure delivery?

Is it too unwieldy what with the compressor motor hanging over one's hand?

Does it produce too much over spray, even being a HVLP, than a dedicated HVLP?

All of the above will be answered by this PM. Should the answers be positive, the arrival of such a piece of Spray gear will change the outlook of a great many DIY'ers as far as the acceptability of the expense required to effect spraying ANY type paint (....with the resulting excellent finish...) on any surface.

Heres what the Box looks like;

Here is a Photo of the Gun itself.....in hand.

A close up....,

All HVLP Guns depend upon creating a mixing of considerable air volume with the paint to atomize the spray. This produces the smooth finishes HVLPs are noted for. It also, when combined with a Paint mix that is "Wet" or "Thin", works to reduce the mount of over spray that occurs when it is only high pressure shooting paint out as hard as possible to effect wide coverage.

To accomplish this "atomization", HVLP Guns have nozzles with more air holes than conventional Spray Guns do. next below is a close up of the Control Spray's nozzle;

Compare that to what a true, HVLP nozzle has;

Although the Wagner lacks the 10 small air holes surrounding the Needle Oriface that the other HVLP Nozzle has, it replaces those with air holes at each extreme corner of the nozzle that "SHOULD" do a comparable job of it.

But that, Gentle Readers is why off....off into the unknown I now must go

See less See more
#2 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiddler /forum/post/0

Hey MM is Diet Pepsi the recommended paint thinning fluid?

I must remain sober when trying out something like this. At least for the first coat.

Don't you know that things go better with Coke?

Only when dissolving Stomach lining.

May the force be with you.

May it "Force" a lot of changes. It can only bode well for many should it be found acceptable.

I sense a fluctuation in the force Luke!
It is as if Millions of Voices cried out at once ("...Painting equipment is too expensive!!!) ......and were suddenly silenced.

We can but only find "A New Hope" that the "Phantom Menace" of costly spray equipment can be defeated, and a new balance be restored.

#3 ·
This is the most outright blatant product promotion thread I have ever seen. How much money did Wagner, Behr and Pepsi have to put up to get him to do this testing. I wont even mention the residuals from the old Invisible Man movie.

Did I mention (Blackberry)

On a lighter note how about spraying some of that same paint on a piece of cardboard or something so we can see the difference in the final screen shots between fusion and non-fusion substrates. Oh never mind.

#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud16415 /forum/post/0

This is the most outright blatant product promotion thread I have ever seen. ........ how about spraying some of that same paint on a piece of cardboard or something so we can see the difference in the final screen shots between fusion and non-fusion substrates. Oh never mind.

You give up too easily. How about both over Gloss White and a Kilz2 coated 13" x 48" strips? All will be revealed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo /forum/post/0

That is a good idea. I would like to see what kind of pattern it sprays. Also, what nozzle is that with the ten holes?

The Nozzle is off my Ingersoll Rand 270G. It also is the same type Nozzle on many HVLP Guns whose Nozzle/Tips are inter-changable and come in different sizes. The one in the Photo is a Monster 2.2mm job, used back when MMud was MUDD

And now the Wagner.

Well..................., the deed is done. The effort expended. The testing completed.

The Wagner performed better than I expected, and actually better than I could have hoped.

That is not to say I didn't almost make a mistake. With this Gun, a thin....very thin viscosity works best. I had what I thought was "Thin", but at most the Mix would only allow a 8" vertical pattern. Too much "richness" as far as saturation within the Vertical Fan pattern gave me cause to worry a bit. And the texture initially viewed, while exceeding less than what is seen with either Rolling, or a Thicker mix sprayed with a true HVLP, still looked like it might be "Pebbly" when dry.

But it was not so after drying. Very smooth, but with a completely flat hue with no sheen. But I wanted that 12" pattern the Ads/Instruction Booklet spoke about.

I reasoned that I still needed to thin the paint to a looser viscosity. Such always improves Flow rate and AtomzaAtomizationmped in about 3 more ounces into 20 Oz SF Mix. That made all the difference. I got my 12", and became quite excited. I still needed to rush it along to prevent a unseemunseaming Each Row overlapped by 50%.

Below is a Video of my applying the first coat with the IR-270G.

Tomorrow will see two movies, each showing the Wagner in action, and still photos of the completed screen w/Trim

#6 ·
WOW! SO an electric all-in-one used by MM?? The sky MUST be falling, LOL!

Is HD carrying this Wagner? Might be worth a look its its only under $100.

Keep us updated Man. That's good stuff.

#7 ·
Okay... I'll come out of hibernation to ask this since nobody else will... What's the second mirror for?

I betcha been aching for someone to ask that question
I SEE LOTSA things!

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbassett /forum/post/0

Okay... I'll come out of hibernation to ask this since nobody else will... What's the second mirror for?

I betcha been aching for someone to ask that question
I SEE LOTSA things!

I was wondering why no mention has been made up to now?

It is to be one of several "Samples" for a comprehensive Test/DIY ShootOut.

You know, the one I was going to do before I shattered my arm and things went all to hell?

I'm painting up at least three other BF/SF varieties, and Matte White on a Board and (EGAD!) MMud _White on a Mirror. I wish a few of the "old Crowd" would change their minds and send me a sample of their own applications. (CGIII?)

BTW, I just finished the entire HT at 4 AM. (15 hours straight today!) I wanted it up and running for Super Bowl XLI.

I'll be making stops at 3 different HTs during the Game. (I bring Beer as the price of admission.
)

A S-I-L-V-E-R 85" incher (Z4)

A DIY BF 92" incher (Z4)

...and the one featured in this thread, A Silver Fire "Dark" (Z5)

All have HDTV Cable.

Now, if I don't get murdered for pausing the action for a shot or two at each location...............................

#9 ·
You'll see. My 'at length' commentary will be presented with accompanying images.

But let me say this much.

If you thin the paint enough, and make sure to run your passes at a speed and distance appropriate to the output of the Wagner, then you can....and will get excellent results. Perhaps not a exceedingly smooth as a HVLP/Compressor hitting on all cylinders, but far better than and roller excepting a Foam Hot Dog, and with no Roller Marks or Orange Peel. Perhaps most important, Metallics are "randomly embedded", not laid out /laid down such as with a Roller that flattens out the paint via the pressure applied.

All the above means that a "Flat Hued" mix will indeed dry "Flat", so one can get the benefit of the properties of the Mix without the concern about a sheen creating Hot Spotting, or a "Metallic" look.

I cannot believe I'm awake and about to trudge forth again.
32 Oz. of Coffee and I'm still groanin' and gruntin' with every movement. 3 hours sleep is NOT enough!

Here a remake of the first HVLP Video. Don't I wish it was this easy!

So while I'm out slavin', enjoy this next round of Painting videos as I demonstrate the qualities of the Wagner.

#11 ·

Quote:

Actually it was bluesboyj who brought it to our attention in this post.

Thanks to MississippiMan for the expert's stamp of approval though.

Thanks tiddler,

MM has a habit of doing that.

But, speaking of giving credit where credit is due, he does make a 'mean' barbeque. Maybe he got that from somewhere else also but the results speak for themselves. I gain weight just remembering the taste.

#12 ·
MM,

I am glad you like it and feel it works well. I may have to check it out. The only thing I don't like about the one I use is I can't control the pattern size and air volume.

Quote:

Actually it was bluesboyj who brought it to our attention in this post.

Thanks to MississippiMan for the expert's stamp of approval though.

Maybe he mentioned this model, but Wagner has been talked about before. I recommended to MM awhile back that the turbine systems are a lot more convenient and easier to use than a conventional set up.

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo /forum/post/0

MM,

I am glad you like it and feel it works well. I may have to check it out. The only thing I don't like about the one I use is I can't control the pattern size and air volume.

The Wagner Control Spray does allow for such "control" via the amount of depth the Trigger is depressed. There is a rotating "Set Stop" knob on the back of the trigger that in effect keeps you from wavering with the pattern/air control aspects by your not applying an even, constant pressure on the trigger. You just squeeze, hold the trigger back as far as the "Set Stop" allows, and you really cannot go wrong.

Maybe he mentioned this model, but Wagner has been talked about before. I recommended to MM awhile back that the turbine systems are a lot more convenient and easier to use than a conventional set up.

Yes indeed he did, but I gave it little notice having a 32 gallon Compressor at hand. But towing that puppy around, and putting up with it's racket has always been the drollest part of Spraying. At the time, the Wagner Turbine HVLPs were all well over $100.00.

But the Control Spray can be found on the Web after a short search for $49.95.

Brothers, there can be NO excuse. Spray Paint, or be guilty of just not caring enough about 'near perfection' to bother. Yes, that's right, because ANY pant intended for a DIY screen app should have as little texture as possible, and have as flat a hue as possible. Both of these are easily achieved if one but just using some care and common sense when learning how to spray with this Gun.

It all can't be perfect though. This Gun does produce 2-3 times more over spray than my Ingersol Rand, and cannot be/is not as precise in laying down a fully atomized "dusting". Even so, you can adjust things to suit the situation so it still serves up to be a revolutionary change in how people can consider what is and is not worth the effort.

And BluesBoyj does deserve to be heralded as the "Finder" if only because he's the first to have tried this Gun on a DIY screen project (....at least as far as can be known....) and his posting tweaked my interest. Get me going and there can be one end in sight, Mine as I move quickly to take advantage of anything that make for an easier time of it, while sacrificing little or no quality.

Now it's a "Been there, Done that." kinda thing and I'm glad so many others might stand to benefit from being able to consider spraying.

#14 ·
um.... this is just what I was waiting for! I was waiting to see this in the SF forum... but on my way there found this... glad I did! I love the videos MM! Now to see if Harbor Freight takes back none used items from Nov.

MM, did you have a window open or any kind of ventilation in that room while you were spraying? Maybe I won't have to go out into the garage!

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate358 /forum/post/0

MM, did you have a window open or any kind of ventilation in that room while you were spraying? Maybe I won't have to go out into the garage!

The room involved had furniture behind me covered in thin plastic cover sheets. (Cheap)

There was a window directly to the right side of the Screen wall and I used a 22" Box Fan set to "High" to pull the dust out. In that respect, and by covering things in ultra lightweight plastic, painting indoors is very possible. But without any good amount of ventilation, you'd have more paint dust around than is cared for no matter where you paint. Certainly not as much as painting with a regular Spray rig though.

Just thin the paint until it is as thin as Hot Coco, and runs freely through the provided Viscosity measuring tool.

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate358 /forum/post/0

Wow that thing is loud! Looks like I'll be wearing some ear protection

How come you didn't go back over with a "fast" spray like you did in the earlier coats?

In the first attempt, I did not have the Mix thinned as much as would be best, so I did not have as wide (Tall) a vertical pattern. If I was to overlap too much with such a thin mix being laid down so densely, there could be issues such as the paint drying to a sheen from being just too wet when applied, or worse still, drips or rums. Trying to increase that width by shooting from slightly farther away means any arm wobble leaves areas where the is significantly less paint at the "overlap". By going back over that area with a faster sweep whose center is focused squarely on the center of the overlap, I can effect a "fill" in that area without laying down too much paint.

In the last video, note that the initial test done on the cardboard shows a taller swath than before. The taller swath means your better able to overlap evenly.

As for the Wagner being loud.....you should hear how loud a 5.5 HP Electric Compressor is! Many is the time I've used 50' of hose and placed that Monster in a whole 'nother room. Even then, in videos you can tell when the compressor kicks in.

I edited in some tunes so with the longer Videos, people would not be subjected to the racket. On the last one, it occurred to me that some might want to hear the thing in operation

#26 ·
From the front

From the side

From the front, a Macro shot of the corner up close

The same shot enlarged to 200%

As plainly seen in the last shot, the Wagner is capable of producing a virtually textureless surface..........with a little practice by most anyone. That of course is going to be dependent on the paint's viscosity (thinned like never before) and how well technique is utilized.

I did not practice as much as I turned it on, shot a swath, and proceeded to squirt as the "lay" seemed to require. I don't suggest that method for any nubee.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.