AVS Forum banner

Join the AVS Forum Folding@Home Team!

157K views 2K replies 189 participants last post by  moepoker 
#1 ·
Since the PS3's 1.6 update added Folding@Home, I have created an AVS Forum folding team. I invite you to join this noble cause to understand the folding of proteins which can lead to advances towards the cure to cancer, Alzheimer's, and other diseases.

Check if your AVS username is available here.

And put in 55280 in your team number setting.

Folding@Home FAQ
Stanford Team Stats
EOC Stats for Team AVS
fahstats.com

Thanks!

Note: Folding@Home will run the PS3 at 100% so be sure your PS3 is well ventilated!

#6 ·
Is there a way to pause the folding without having to start over?

If I decide I want to get in a couple of races with Motorstorm can I do it without losing everything it's done in the last few hours?

If so how do you pause it & restart it?

#7 ·
Dunno...

The program really has a long way to go seeing that it doesn't look like you can pause it, run it while idle/in the background/without starting the program. I would like to be able to just quit to the dashboard from a game and have it start folding...but i doesn't look like it's working that way.

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoose /forum/post/0

If I decide I want to get in a couple of races with Motorstorm can I do it without losing everything it's done in the last few hours?

The client should checkpoints once in awhile. I can't update until I get home so i'm not 100% sure.

Thanks stang, i updated the link.

#9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoose /forum/post/0

When you exit the program it will restart where you left off the next time you start it up.

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by chokeslam /forum/post/0

When you exit the program it will restart where you left off the next time you start it up.

That's good to know!

#11 ·
Another forum I participate in got threads locked for mentioning the Folding@Home in the gaming forum, and for trying to encourage people to join that website's own folding@home team.

I'm glad AVSForum allows talk of a PS3 feature in a gaming forum ;-)

In light of this I'll be using the AVSForum team rather than the other one.

Count me in!

Cheers!

#13 ·
I think I'll be joining Team AVS when I download the patch.

May as well use the damn PS3 for something, its just been sitting there for months

#14 ·
Oops... there's two AVS teams going! One's a small team that's already in progress, ranked at #9 and now a new one mentioned in this thread. Should we split the group or pick one or the other?

Man, my PS3's cooling fan is in overdrive when it's folding. But it's nice to feel like it's doing something.

I've folded 25% of my first protein!
...yea, I have no idea what that means.

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangs55 /forum/post/0

Welcome

I just added my quad core PC to the AVS mix

I'm curious....why the choice of screen-name??

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ /forum/post/0

Oops... there's two AVS teams going! One's a small team that's already in progress, ranked at #9 (see my sig) and now a new one mentioned in this thread. Should we split the group or pick one or the other?

Man, my PS3's cooling fan is in overdrive when it's folding. But it's nice to feel like it's doing something.

I've folded 25% of my first protein!
...yea, I have no idea what that means.

Actually, there's not

The other team is a team from a completely separate website/forum that has been running with their members for a long time completely unrelated to AVS...he just made a post here inviting people over to their team.

This is a separate team made for AVS Forum and consisting only of AVS members. There's only one AVS team (I've searched).

I actually think alot of people joined the other team thinking it was an AVS team, when actually it's not.

#19 ·
Welp I decided that my PS3 was a lousy doorstop, so I blew the dust off her and moved her to my 37" 1080p display hooked up via Component. When I get more BD discs I'll move it back to the Projector (I might actually play it now, I haven't been using my PJ much lately except for the occasional DVD movie)......

In the mean time, thats why I got that extended warranty, so I should have the update ready and go right to folding later on tonight......lets see if I can turn it into a pile of gloss piano-black slag!!

TEAM AVS!

Not that stupid "Team ####" bunch of poseurs

UPDATE:

I have now loaned the mighty untapped power of my PS3 to the protein folding project of team AVS, tho their website is getting hammered, I can't tell whos registered on the team yet...I'll let it fold tonight.

#22 ·
I'm in as well. I personally think that map background is very cool. Do we know that the dots are really just the PS3s, or do they represent all PCs that are folding?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.