AVS Forum banner

IR Blasters?

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Kex 
#1 ·
I am very novice when it comes to this stuff, so I am looking for some advice.

My setup is as follows:

Panasonic TH-42PX60U 42" Flat Panel Plasma TV

Pioneer VSX-1015TX

DISH VIP211 Satellite receiver

Phillips DVD player (not sure the model, but I know it's HDMI and does HD upconversion).

Tivo Series 2

We are getting ready to mount the television on a wall, and I am trying to decide what to do with the wires. Ideally, I'd like to run them into a closet nearby and hide them. But I am not sure what equipment I would need, or if this is even possible.

Any advice, or websites you can point me to?

See less See more
#3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyvali /forum/post/0

I just bought the "Hot Link Pro Remote Control Booster System ... I will install mine tomorrow ...

I would love to know how you get on and how reliable this system is. I have been thinking about getting it too. Thnx for any additional info on strengths and weaknesses of HLP!

#4 ·
It worked right out of the box. I have similar equipment like yours with preamp/amp etc. I tested this with Pronto TSU3000 and few other OEM remotes.

I already had the RG6 wire run from the equipment closet to the plasma. To test this device, I bought 2 F-connector to phono (RCA) connectors from Radio Shack. I also needed one F-F RCA connector as one end of the Hot Pro connection is F-RCA.

Given all the connectors, etc. the IR worked well and the response is as good as the equipment being controlled by the OEM remote in the normal way.

I hope this helps.

#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyvali /forum/post/0

... I already had the RG6 wire run from the equipment closet to the plasma. To test this device, I bought 2 F-connector to phono (RCA) connectors from Radio Shack. I also needed one F-F RCA connector as one end of the Hot Pro connection is F-RCA. ...

Was this to get the IR receiver "eye" located near the plasma? Extend the distance between the device closet and the plasma + eye location?

The Hot Link Pro can work without the need for any additional connectors (like the ones you describe above), if the location permits, right?

- Position the "eye" where it can see signals from the remote(s).

- Position the emitters over the IR sensors (or near the sensors?) of the devices being controlled.

- Both receiver "eye" and emitters are directly connected to the box somewhere in between, right?

#6 ·
The Hotlink Pro will work without any connectors (the ones I am using). It is ready to work right out of the box! It comes with maybe a 5 or 6' cable connecting the "eye" and the emitter unit.

I had about 30' between the plasma and equipment closet, hence the use of RG6 cable.

Answers to your other questions are:

- Position the "eye" where it can see signals from the remote(s).

Yes, I have it few inches behind and 3 feet above the plasma. The eye seems to be very powerful. I tried placing it behind and 3 feet above and 4 feet on the right of the plasma and it worked as well as my final location.

The Hotlink Pro installation instructions recommends that the "receiver eye be installed on the back side of the plasma or LCD TV, top or bottom, centered."

- Position the emitters over the IR sensors (or near the sensors?) of the devices being controlled.

Yes, I have it right on the equipment.

- Both receiver "eye" and emitters are directly connected to the box somewhere in between, right?

Yes. If I understand the question correctly, the eye connects to the box via what looks like a RCA type cable. Then from the box at the other end is a ribben cable for 6 emitter and 1 blue confirmation LED. Plus, the box is powered via DC connector.

If you need more info, let me know and I can scan the document or take pictures of the Linkpro unit.

#7 ·
That was all great info, sunnivali! I also read somewhere else that the "eye" was very powerful and capable of receiving signals that were not direct line of sight.

The ability to extend the distance between the box and the "eye" at some time in the future using Radio Shack RCA connectors like you did is an added bonus.

Great stuff! Thnx.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.