AVS Forum banner

TC LMS5400 18" build thread

13K views 146 replies 26 participants last post by  Vinculum 
#1 ·
Here are a few teaser pics of ( finally ) the LMS build. Dual 18's with 4 x PR... you all know the results of Illka's tests.

I was going to attempt to build the cabinet myself, but in the end farmed it out to a very very picky cabinetmaker. ( makes high end furniture and other things by appointment only ) I had approached him in June of 07, and he is finally free of other commitments. ( had landed a large contract )

He had figured around Christmas, but delays pushed him back until now.

See less See more
#2 ·
Had to cut a few pieces of plywood to double check the angles, the cuts fit together with precision, no gaps at all.

Saw is $ 50K precision saw made in Germany, you can throw an entire sheet of MDF on there no sweat.

#4 ·
Having PR opposed is a great thing, keeps the cabinet from rocking with the PR movement. ( mass )

In a 400 plus pound ( loaded ) box this is going to be pretty much a non issue. Walls are going to be 1.5", doubled 3/4 with biscuits in all the joints.

#5 ·
This thing is just cool.

Nate

#7 ·
Got a pretty poor picture of the solid maple for the top and accents on the box, as there was a truck parked in the rear bay of the shop, and no room to take a good picture of the wood.

#9 ·
Haven't quite decided on whether or not to go with a satin, semi or full gloss on the maple, however the box will be treated to a BASF RM Diamont base/clear paint job. ( I was certified factory trained refinish painter in '03 at the BASF training facility in Missisauga, On )

Not quite sure on the color yet... I was thinking classic D403 black ( black diamont tint base ) or maybe ford code FL ( light toreador red metallic ) that is VERY close to the same color as the baskets. I even thought of a pearl job, or a straight silver with some starflake... not 100% sure until I get it in primer and am in the shop digging in the cabinet.

#12 ·
What kind of price on a cabinet build like that?

#15 ·
Painting the maple would be a sin. NO... definately not. Clear finish on it yes.

As far as cost... he is not cheap by any means, I have $ 1000 in materials already. That is with no labour! Just the maple for the top and accents, and the MDF.

Add in $ 2-300 in paint, I am probably looking at $ 2500 + for finished product. Regardless, it is what I want.

#16 ·
Nice to see you finally started Mike! Looks like it's going to be a stunner.

Check out FunkyWaves Audio too if you get a chance. He's got some really nice stuff and will do basically custom whatever. I've gotten a few quotes from him(Nathan) and I'm probably going to have him work on a cab or 2 for me in the future. It's pricey work too, but it'd be finished sooo much better than what I would do myself.

#17 ·
In case y'all forgot what the LMS looks like... I figured I would refresh your memory. These are the clear TI cones.

#18 ·
Stack of precut panels glued up.... for the sides.

#19 ·
yikes thats a fortune in cabinetry! Personally, I know a professional carpenter and he loves to come down and help me out in his workshop when I have project to do. Its nice in so many ways, he has access to much higher grade wood than is available at normal lumber stores and he sells to me at cost which is a great deal. Pretty soon here I will be trying my hand in fiberglass subs, just to see what I can do without the tens of thousands of dollars in tools.

#20 ·
Mike,

Good job,this section needs a few BIG sub projects. TheBEAST was going to be a killer commercial(besting all known commercials subs by a solid margin) ,now it has mutated into a killer DIY !

If only TC had the JL funds...

People,a good cabinet will cost ya,I have a cabinet maker I know who wants to cover my upcomming cabinets in exotic woods. Will cost from $900-1600 per cabinet...the finish. But looking like the finest finish found on Avalon's upscale. I may go with one to show the forum members what a class bird eye maple is.

High end DIY is major time,money and more time.

#21 ·
A VMP passive ready to go "under the knife", screwed into the first cutout. The basket is the same as the active drivers, and to fit in this cabinet, the rear portion ( normally used to mount the driver ) needs to go.

#22 ·
Such a shame to mess up the powdercoat.... but heck what are you gonna do? First one was a little rough, the last 3 turned out alright, I still need to grind ( 36 grit sandpaper disc ) after protecting the spider.

The blade I used was a new blade, coarse as I could use, so that the chips were nice and cool, and not damage the spider. I stuffed some rags in the frame to cover the surround.

#23 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael hurd /forum/post/13050602

A VMP passive ready to go "under the knife", screwed into the first cutout. The basket is the same as the active drivers, and to fit in this cabinet, the rear portion ( normally used to mount the driver ) needs to go.

Nooooooo I will file a complaint to the TC woofer basket activists !

How dare you mutilate this beauty!

#24 ·
Hmm.... couldn't resist... the crowning achievement.... LMS5400 18", the King of subs!

#25 ·
What are the measuments on that bad boy. Do you have the internal volume calculated?

#26 ·
It is a virtual clone of the unreleased "Beast" from TC sounds. Each face is 26 inches wide, and it stands 52 inches tall. Triangular, truncated corners. Volume was calculated to be 15.8 cu ft. ( as per the TC proto )

This one is going to be slightly different in that all angles are equal, to make cutting a bit easier. ( no CNC here.... )

Prototype was bubinga accents and top, I chose maple. I attached a picture of the "prototype BEAST" .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.