AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sony Hd100 and 720p

1K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  lvthunder 
#1 ·
I have a Sony HD100 STB and I emailed the engineer at the local ABC station because on the digital channel for ABC here in Las Vegas all I get is a black screen with the audio (in 5.1 all the time). He responded with this. Is what he says true about the HD100 having problems with 720p or is this him just not wanting to try to figure out what's wrong.

Thanks,

Here is what I sent him.

Hi,

I have a Sony Hd100 High Definition receiver and when I try to watch channel 13.1 I only get audio. I get no picture at all. The audio is also coming thru as Dolby Digital 5.1. I know it is not my setup because I can receive 13.2 just fine. Do you know anything about this.

I would like to get it resolved so I can enjoy your station when you get the HD stuff done. Also do you have an estimate of when you are going to start sending the HD signal thru.

Thanks in advance,

Stephen Cupp

"Goaltending is a normal job, Sure! How would you like it in your job if every time you made a mistake, a red light went on over your desk and fifteen thousand people stood up and yelled at you?" -Hall of Fame Goaltender Jacques Plante

This is what he sent me.

Sent: Monday, September 16, 2002 3:03 PM

To: Cupp, Stephen C.

Subject: Re: Digital Channel

Sony has had problems with this receiver. They have discontinued this model and are now selling the hd200. This receiver appears to have a problem decoding 720P, our HDTV format. You may want to call the store you purchased it from and see if they will exchange it? Most stores have stopped selling this receiver because of this problem.

Ron Adair

Dir. of Broadcast Operations and Engineering

KTNV-TV

3355 S. Valley View Blvd.

Las Vegas NV 89102

(702) 876-1313 Ext 358
Adair@KTNV.com

See less See more
#2 ·
Plenty of people use this receiver to watch ABC's HD signal (which is 720p everywhere). I get HD from my local ABC affiliate without a problem on the HD100. Either your unit is defective, or the problem is with the ABC affiliate and their equipment. Perhaps another person from Vegas can tell you if their HD100 works with ABC's digital station there.

#3 ·
lvthunder,

You neglected to say what type of TY/input you were using. I suspect your TV may not have a HS component input that will support 720P. Try switching back to Video 1 480i to see if you get video/sound. Then switch to Vdeo 3 1080i (not variable) and see if you get any digital channels. If you do not get any channels on Video 3 1080i then it is definately your TV input.

Jim

#10 ·
Might simply be a case of the signal strength not being high enough from the 13.1 feed. I do remember having similar problems with KONG TV 16.1 in my area because my Antenna is pointing away from the signal. Sometimes I would get audio but no video. This may very well be the case for you. If you take a look at the strength for the channel on the HD100 what does it fluctuate between?

#11 ·
You're question has basically been answered (the guy is full of it), but I just had to say I'm amazed that someone in the industry has received such horrible word-of-mouth as to knock the HD-100 without even trying to understand the problem (or borrow one and check it out). These kinds of things hurt HDTV in general, because unknowing consumers will write the technology off as "too complicated".

ABC has some high-quality HD programming and the *best* 5.1DD audio out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.