AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Samsung 360 problems: Yes or No

3K views 27 replies 15 participants last post by  Michigan Golfer 
#1 ·
Just thought this would be interesting with all the discussion lately about this box. I know it will probably be skewed, but please vote even if you have had no problems with your initial unit.

Sid

#2 ·
As far as I can tell, the audio/video dropouts are just momentary versions of the problem that eventually turns into the '745 problem', so I voted for '745' rather than '3 and 4'. I will not know better for sure until I return home this weekend and do tests.

#4 ·
I figured the color fade would fit under the Audio and/or Video problem.

Sid

#6 ·
DVI port is completely worthless. Crushes blacks and picture is extremely dark through DVI. As far as I can tell, this is the case on every T360.

EDIT: Nevermind! I was thinking of the T160, not the 360 which I don't have. Sorry for the misinformation.

#9 ·
Yes, OTA on this box definately seems to be a low priority in Samsung's collective mind. :mad:

Sid

#12 ·
Is there a setting in the TS-360 to reduce the volume of the Commercials. Since I got the DirecTV HD option the Commercials are about 6db louder than the programs.

Anyone else notice the extremely loud commercial problem.

I do not know if this is the TS-360 or DirecTV.

Red

#13 ·
OTA air reception is much better than my DSt3000. If the 360 reception is supposed to be bad then I hope the HDTivo has even better reception because this 360 has worked great for not dropping the OTA signal with a low signal strength.

#14 ·
Audio was cutting out with the coax digital connection. Jiggling the connector on the 360 would get it back. Switched to fiber cable and been good since. Had to re-position my in-attic antenna to get the digital stations and still don't get them all, not getting PBS and UPN.

Was getting digital OTA video drop-outs yesterday afternoon for the first time, seemed to be due to storm activity.

For better digital OTA reception I'll probably have to go to an outside antenna.

Jim

#15 ·
I recently puchased an NEC 42VP4, 42" plasma EDTV display, taking advantage of the AVS forum special buy from 1800plasmas.com. The NEC was giving my excellent PQ from my older DirecTV box, using S-Video. I use component cables for my DVD.

So, the next logical step was to get an HDTV STB. Even though the NEC is EDTV, it should work well with HD input.

So, I ordered and HDTV STB DirecTV on March 2 and it was delivered and installed today, March 8. DirecTV would not specify what STB I would get. I am a DirecTV customer since 1995, so was able to get the $99.00 deal.

I was not at home when a new Sammy 360 was delivered and professionally installed -- my wife was home.

The DVI output will not work on the NEC because the NEC is NOT HDCP complaint. So I am left to using component out to the NEC. This works fine -- good PQ on SD and excellent PQ for HD.

The problem is with the audio. There is some delay -- like watching a foreign language film dubbed in English.

I am at a loss on troubleshooting this problem. Would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

#17 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Jim Clark
Audio was cutting out with the coax digital connection. Jiggling the connector on the 360 would get it back. Switched to fiber cable and been good since. Had to re-position my in-attic antenna to get the digital stations and still don't get them all, not getting PBS and UPN.

Was getting digital OTA video drop-outs yesterday afternoon for the first time, seemed to be due to storm activity.

Jim
I use optical audio & I get the drop outs. 1st week none, 2nd week 2 or 3 a day on HD, 3rd week several per day on HD & SD.

Sometimes the audio will only come back only after I switch channels & break the audio stream, then switch back & the audio is back.

I have SS 96-100 on all channels.

Red

#18 ·
My OTA reception was bad as well, but a tech came out and after some tinkering - he had a vision. He went up and turned the antenna around 180 degrees and everything came in just fine!

It was the antenna D* has provided, maybe the orginal tech had it pointing the wrong way. It was an odd situation, Fox CHannel 11 had a signal strength of 45% but no picture, which he said was very strange.

Not the only HD OTA channel I don't get is 13, which is UPN.

Over all my TS360 has had a few very brief audio drops but has been solid otherwise. PQ via the DVI port is excellent, but then again I have no other HD picture to compare.

Mark

#19 ·
Red:

Do you have the 360 in a nice open spot with good ventilation? It seems like a lot of 360 problems may be due to overheating. Mine has always been sitting on top of my equipment rack with open air all around.

It seems that my problem was a bad connection inside the box to the coax connector because jiggling the connector would get it back. Optical has been fine.

Jim

#21 ·
Wow, just got my SIR-TS360 connected. It worked great for a few minutes then I started getting video dropouts and thought I would check here to see if others are having the problems. I have great signal strength on all three satellites and OTA is surprisingly strong since I am about 60 miles from the tower with my old rooftop antenna. Was able to get all channels I hoped for but darn the dropouts make it unusable. Oh well, this is my first HDTV STB and I shouldn't be surprised it won't work reliably. My 360 is well ventilated and in the open.

Chris

#24 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisW6ATV
My problems are completely gone since I moved the receiver off the top of my amplifier.
Silly me... I should have known that as soon as hot weather arrived, I would have problems. My '360' became a '745' again, when the temperature went above 90 degrees here. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.