AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

SA 8000HD DVR - SARA - Setup and Review Guide

91K views 455 replies 90 participants last post by  vegggas 
#1 ·
SA8000HD (8010HD) Setup and Review - Las Vegas Cox cable running SARA software. July 10th 2004.

This is a comprehensive review and setup guide for the Scientific Atlanta 8000HD DVR. This information is specifically for users on Cox networks using SARA software, unless otherwise stated. To determine your software, you can reset the box and watch the screen as it boots. The hardware for the DVR is standard, but the software is radically different from system to system. This is a similar thread to the TWC SA8000 thread but allowing for pertinent information to be presented up front instead of buried in 100 pages.
Link to SA website and 8000HD PDF file

Because many of the features are software specific, here are the settings on my box from the diagnostic menu. Different regions and systems will have various versions for different reasons. The parallel OS from Pioneer is called Passport and will be discussed later since it has different software and functionality.

Diagnostic menu for SA systems is available by pressing the "select" button on the front of the box (2-3 sec) until the mail message indicator lights up, then pressing "info". Page up and down for more screens My Diagnostic screen for Component Information is on page 17.
  • Original stable Ver DVR1.1. . Beta Ver DVR1.2 (Aug '04) . . Current Stable Ver DVR 1.3 (Nov -04)
  • ROM Image. . 1.83.4.8 . . . . . ROM Image 1.83.16.1 . . . . . 1.83.4.16
  • OS. . . . . . . . .6.4.9.1 . . . . . . OS 6.4.39.1 . . . . . . . . . . .6.4.10.1
  • SARA. . . . . . .1.83.4.8 . . . . . SARA 1.83.16.1 . . . . . . . . 1.83.4.16
  • PowerKEY LIB 3.5.21.4 . . . . . Powerkey Lib 3.5.21.5 . . . . 3.5.21.6
  • HAL2 Driver. .1.1.13.140 . . .. . HAL2 Driver 1.3.9.1 . . . . . . 1.1.13.180
  • ATI Driver. . . 2.0.51.211 . . . . ATI Driver 2.1.5.110 . . . . . 2.0.51.310
  • PHAL3 Driver. 3.5.8.2 . . . . . . PHAL3 Driver 3.5.10.4 . . . . 3.5.8.3

Instructions for the Advanced Setup Wizard to choose TV type and resolutions. Done after the box has gotten it's initial download from your MSO. These should be done using the HD outputs for true displays, but may be "falsely" viewed with SD outputs.

1) WALK UP TO THE BOX, Turn off power, then press both the GUIDE and INFO buttons at the same time - YOU CAN'T USE THE REMOTE FOR STEP 1

2) Choose Easy or Advanced setup - Easy selects 480i and 1080i outputs only - Advanced allows TV type (4X3 VS. 16X9) and user selected outputs

3) Follow instructions on the screen to set your output resolutions - READ carefully in advanced mode- If the screen goes blank, it is showing a resolution your TV does not support and you have to disable that output. It will cycle through all resolutions for 30 seconds each if no user input is given.

Instructions for BASIC Quick Settings to select output resolutions the TV accepts: Done after the box has gotten it's initial download from your MSO. These should be done using the HD outputs for true displays, but may be "falsely" viewed with SD outputs.

1) With power on, press the select button on the box and wait 2-3 seconds for the message indicator to light

2) Press "VOL-" to enter HD select resolution mode - The display will read HdSr - Times out in 20 seconds

3) Resolutions are set as follows: 480i = CH+, 480P = CH-, 720P = VOL-, 1080i = VOL+ and the display will show each resolution as the output is displayed over the HD outputs. Whichever output you select last will be the primary output when going into the setup wizard

The 8000HD I received was a fully loaded model. It has the following connections:
  • 2 - 1394 ports - For later upgrade use
  • 1 - HD DVI port - For later upgrade use - UPDATE Aug 31-Currently in Beta testing in SanDiego and select Beta testers for national release
  • 1 - Coaxial Digital Audio Output connector - Analog audio converted to digital
  • 1 - Optical Digital Audio Output connector - Analog audio converted to digital
  • 1 - Set of Component HD outputs
  • 1- Set of complete SD outputs with s-video, composite and stereo analog audio outputs
  • 1 - SD RF output
  • 1 - Set of Video input jacks - For later upgrade use
  • 1 - Set of VCR Archive jacks

Output Mode Explanations:

FIXED- Displays all content at whatever resolution you selected, based on what you selected in the wizard. You force the output to a single output and the box scales to that input. Easily changed in the settings menu of the box. Although all the options WERE available during my beta testing, ONLY this mode is currently available at the time of this writing. I'm told they will enable the other modes in a future update. UPDATE AUG 31 - Passthrough and Auto DVI are in wide Beta release in SanDiego and select beta testers nationally

PASS THROUGH- Passes the input signal through to the output with no change, unless you disable certain resolutions. For example 480i in to 480i out, 480P in to 480P out, 1080i in to 1080i out, 720P in to 720P out. If you disable 720P, 720P in will go to 1080i out.

AUTO DVI- If you are using the DVI port, you will see this option instead of the Pass Through option. Resolution is automatically formatted to the scan rate supported by the TV. DVI not available until Sept/Oct. UPDATE AUG 31 - Passthrough and Auto DVI are in wide Beta release in SanDiego and select beta testers nationally

UpConvert 1 - All 480i and 480P signals get upconverted to 480P. All 720P and 1080i signals get upconverted to 1080i.

UpConvert 2 - All 480i and 480P signals get upconverted to 480P. All 720P and 1080i signals get converted to 720P.

Zoom and Stretch Modes:

Stretch Mode: In SD, it takes the 4x3 screen and stretches it to widescreen. In HD it does the same thing, but if the signal is already in widescreen, it stretches it even further, losing about 15% of the sides.

Zoom mode: Zooms the picture in both height and width in both SD and HD modes. Perfect for 16x9 in 4x3 window displayed on a 16x9 channel (window in a window or bars all around)

General notes:
  1. Dual tuners to record two programs while being able to playback a third program at the same time.
  2. 160GB Maxtor Hard Drive - Not upgradeable - Add on external drives to be available in the near future. At 160GB, it allows for roughly 20 hours of HD content, depending on the bitrate and content type as it is sent down the cable.
  3. Picture Quality: This is dependent on the video driver in use and the adjacent software platforms running at your MSO. In my setup and local system, I can see NO DIFFERENCE in PQ between OTA and this STB. Those using systems that also have the PACE box will see a decrease in PQ for an unknown reason at this time.
  4. Recorded Content is identical to live content if it is digital. The unit records the original digital stream so there is no degradation in digital PQ. Analog stations use an encoder at 640x480 and PQ suffers compared to other analog encoders from Tivo and Replay. Often the output is over HD inputs and the TV does no manipulation of the signal to clean it up, making the PQ appear even more gainy.
  5. There is NO ability to have simultaneous HD and SD outputs active at the same time. To use SD outputs, you must change the output settings to 480i.
  6. Audio dropouts are still occurring when using the Dolby Digital setting. They have been cleaned up and do not happen as often, but still happen from time to time. For me, they happen more often with local HD channels than the premium HD channels. They are recorded onto the digital signal on your hard drive, so they will show up on recordings too. The only current recourse is to go into the second settings, choose AUDIO: Digital Out, and choose OTHER if the problem appears worse on a specific problem.
  7. Recordings are based on either manual recording times, or on the IPG interface. The current Cox IPG has search functions built in for Day, Date, and Channel as well as specific Title, browse by alphabetical listing or Themes. Searches by Actor or Director are not available.
  8. Recording options are available for Record Once or All episodes. With All episodes, you are given the choice to save from 1 - 5 shows or all total shows. You can also set up to automatically delete after a certain amount of days go by, or only when you choose to manually delete. With the All episodes recording option, you are also given the choice to Record New First-run episodes on this channel, All Episodes on this channel in this time slot, or All Episodes on this channel at any time. During the recording selection with the IPG, you can also "pad" the start and stop times to suit your needs.
  9. Jump forward and jump back are not current features with SARA software. Passport software allows the use of the right and left arrows while in FF or REW mode to jump. SARA currently only offers the FF or REW functions.
  10. When recording a program and playing it back while it is recording, the program will kick you out when the original recording is finished, even if you are only 5 minutes behind the recording program. This causes you to have to restart the program, and FF to where you left off. If you start watching a recording already in progress, it will dump you into the current live portion of the program. You must REW back to the start to see the program.
  11. Storage drives are Maxtor in either 80 GB or 160GB flavors.

In the diagnostic menu, you should find one of these (or equivelent) drives listed:

4R080L0 is an 80 Gb drive

4R160L0 is a 160 Gb drive
    Maxtor website PDF file [/list=1]

I will add to this page and this specific post as needed and try to keep it updated and current for at least a few months until the product is widespread and/or the release of the 8300HD multi room DVR this fall.

Screenshots may be added later.

vegggas

See less See more
#2 ·
8000 STB tricks:
  1. "Pervert Mode", is used when you pause the display on a scene you wish to examine closely. You could be using the Slow Motion (press Play a second time) feature to get close to the scene you want paused and then use Pause to freeze the video. The FF button will then become a frame advance button, but that annoying banner is always in the way every time you press the button. After pressing the FF/Frame advance button, immediately press the EXIT button to clear the banner, then press the FF/frame advance button again. The banner will now be gone, leaving the picture to be manipulated as you want without anything being covered up. Enjoy the view, but only use it for replays of a close baseball tag or other non fleshy nature.
  2. Disappearing Diagnostic window. When in diagnostic mode, you can change the transparency of the diagnostic screen by pressing the center button on the front of the box. It goes from 100% opaque, to about 50% opaque to about 5% opaque. This is useful when you are changing channels and noting RF levels and PQ of analog channels, or trying to see RF levels jumping when glitches are occurring.
  3. The DVR has 2 tuners and 2 outputs that can ALL be used at the same time. You can send a downconverted pre-recorded signal out the archive jacks to another TV or monitor (or distribution system) while playing back another recorded show on the main screen, while still being able to record two other programs all at the same time. I can easily send a recorded show to another room for my wife to watch while I watch a recorded or live program on the main TV without the fear of blocking any other recordings.
  4. REFORMAT - WARNING NOT FULLY TESTED AND ONLY TO BE USED AT OWN RISK - IT WILL DELETE ALL CONTENT AND COULD RENDER THE BOX UNUSABLE - Press and hold PAUSE until Mail led is lit. Press PAGE down or (-), and then press LIST three times. - UNTESTED
  5. Forced Reboot and reset. On the front of the box, press and hold both the VOL+ and VOL- buttons, then press the info button.
  6. JP1 remote codes for 30 second skip coming soon!
  7. LaZy man's Diagnostic mode. You can enter the diagnostic mode from the couch! Be careful with this one though, it may do other accidental things. Press and hold the pause button for about 10 seconds until the Mail light starts to flash. Press PAGE up and you will enter the diagnostic menu.
  8. Skip to End - As a reference, the SARA software will allow you to "skip to end" once you press stop on any currently played back program. Example: When I choose a pre-recorded program from the list, it only allows me to start at the beginning. I start the program, and then press stop. At that time, I can then choose to Restart, Archive to VCR, Erase, or Skip to End. If I choose skip to end, it takes me to the end of the program in pause mode. From there, I can rewind back to anywhere in the program, or stop and choose start from the beginning.

This feature is the most useful when watching a delayed program that finishes recording and kicks you out with 10 minutes left. With this, you can start at the end and go back quickly.
  9. An easy way to clear the warning " In 2 minutes, Program X will begin recording" screen is to hit the Info button, then Exit. Usually if you just press Exit, the screen will not go away, but the info button will overide that screen.[/list=1]

vegggas

#3 ·
vegggas,

Excellent work with that post.

I have the old JP1 code for 30sec skip and it doesn't work, though I haven't tried it recently. Do you have it working on your version?

jp1_sa8000hd_urc6131.txt 5.7890625k . file

Attachments

#4 ·
vegggas, as expected, well worth the wait. I don't have a unit yet and now they are talking this QTR as opposed to this MO, but this info will be most helpful when it finally gets here.

I noted you alluded to a couple of coming enhancements and was wondering if there is a website keeping up with these or is this just what you've picked up being a beta-tester?

I take it that the IPG channel listings and Favorites lists are the same as they were for the 3250, that is, you still have to view all channels in the IPG, but can limit the channels you scan by editing the Favs list.

I'm still a little confused about the switching from 1080i to 480i. Since there is no Pass-Through yet, does this mean I have to manually change formats to 480i when I view SD channels so that I can use my TVs stretch modes? I assume this to be the case.

Thanks again for taking the time to put this together. I'm sure you were able to edit your 3250 guide quite a bit and minimize some of the workload and I know much of this info is available in the TWC-SC thread, but it's sure nice to have it all in one place.

NOTE: I loved the description of the Pervert Mode. I assume the JP1 is a programmable remote or a way of programming them. I'm going to have to really look at one of those as it's lookig more and more like it would be a worthwhile investment or me.

#5 ·
bfdtv,

No I have not got the 30 sec skip to work yet, but there are many people looking to get a hack. I've even obliterated a standard remote to hack it, and use the hidden keypads. It depends on if it is even available in the MSO download, and the "*" button (which is used as a programable option)on our remote is still not used.

Dave,

Cox is only up to rev. a8 here in Las Vegas, but other markets are already using a10 with some improvements. I heard other patches are in the works, but no known release times.

Your IPG will be identical to what is on the 3250 and other boxes. You will get extra details about the program including the Theme and an {R} at the end indicating a Rerun. Try practicing using the "Browse By" button to hone in on specific titles, so you can use the DVR more effectively.

A lot of the info was cut and pasted from the 3250 guide, with minor edits. JP1 is an interface on some remotes that allow you to program them from your PC. You can enter specific IR codesets in specific remotes. I would look at the remote section before making a purchase. I bought an MX-500 and love it, but can't use the PC connectivity for programming or downloading.

More to come...

vegggas

#7 ·
#8 ·
Where is the drooling icon when I need it?

I sure envy you guys with the 8000HD. I cannot wait to get rid of my VCR, VHS tape collection, and these splitters on my cable (the ones causing some audio dropouts and video breakups :) ). Maybe once I get the darned thing, I'll be able to spend more time enjoying HD than discussing it in these forums (I know, some of you can only hope). It's frustrating too to get involved in discussions and not have something in front of me to refer to and experience in real life. :(

Oh well, sooner or later it too shall come. I appreciate the screen shots and I still think the 8000HD looks pretty good from where I sit, antiquated VCR and no HD time-shift capability.

vegggas, do you know anything about what is being done with the IPG data to allow for more selection criteria and recording options? Also, any reason Cox-Las Vegas is using an older version of the software than what's out there on some other systems?

#9 ·
Thanks bfdtv,

You beat me to it. The only one that I don't see is the All episodes option to save All episodes, 1 episode, 2 episodes, etc, etc.

Thanks again, made it easier for me.

Dave,

Here in Vegas, we just have a bit more detailed version of the data then before. It's subtle and was sneaked in one night. Main differences were the addition of the [R] flag for repeats and Theme/Genere additions as well as a few more details such as run time, etc. Hopefully the details will allow for other search criteria in the future. AFAIK Cox Las Vegas is running the a8 patch because they don't have the a10 patch as noted by the last digit in the ROM and SARA images and designated under the "Q" column.

vegggas

#10 ·
vegggas, thanks once again. Cable can be frustrating because they all seem to do their own thing at different times and there really is no reason they couldn't work together more, espscially when it come to rolling this stuff out. I understand there are very good reasons for this, but even you must get irritated at times knowing that someone has a feature you could use and you don't know exactly why your cableco doesn't have it deployed yet.

BTW. You won't believe the amount of data (and images) bfdtv has PM'd me about both the Tivo and the 8000HD. He's really proactive at educating cable managers, etc., on this stuff and I know he's making some headway. I have learned more in this one day than a lot of days before this, especially on the subject of DVRs, and I truly appreciate all of it from both of you and jacksonian too. :)

#11 ·
Don't envy me and my 8000HD, Dave. I get sound dropouts, picture freezing and stuttering on half of my recordings. So far I hate this POS.

#12 ·
vegggas,

In your earlier post you stated:

"The DVR has 2 tuners and 2 outputs that can ALL be used at the same time. You can send a downconverted pre-recorded signal out the archive jacks to another TV or monitor (or distribution system) while playing back another recorded show on the main screen, while still being able to record two other programs all at the same time. I can easily send a recorded show to another room for my wife to watch while I watch a recorded or live program on the main TV without the fear of blocking any other recordings."

I have Charter with the 8000HD and the S-Video or Archive outputs won't work with the component video activated. How exactly do you send the downconverted through the archive connections?

Thanks for you info that you have already posted!

Jackard

#13 ·
Below are the menus shown when you a) select a program from Recordings List, and b) press the stop button from a recording in progress:

http://home.comcast.net/~bklfowler/s...sa8000_035.jpg http://home.comcast.net/~bklfowler/s...sa8000_003.jpg

Jackard,

Quote:
I have Charter with the 8000HD and the S-Video or Archive outputs won't work with the component video activated. How exactly do you send the downconverted through the archive connections?
Refer to the "Copy to VCR" option shown in the above screenshots. This feature is only on the newest software version which your box may not have yet.

#15 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Matt_Stevens
Don't envy me and my 8000HD, Dave. I get sound dropouts, picture freezing and stuttering on half of my recordings. So far I hate this POS.
Well, I hope I don't join you in hating it. I've kept up with the TWC-SC thread and it looks like reformating the drive helped in some cases to clear up those kinds of problems. Is that only happening a lot on recordings or live viewing too?

#16 ·
Never on live viewing. Only on stuff I have recorded and am watching off the drive.

#17 ·
Matt,

It seems like that is the exact situation where reformatting the HD resolved the problem. Maybe you should contact the cableco and get permission to do that or get them to do it to see if that helps. I'd try to find the post that discussed that, but I'm heading out to work.

#18 ·
Before he does that, he needs to make sure that his cable company actually has all the necessary SA8000HD software available and authorized for download. Some cable companies apparently preload the software from a computer in their central office and/or authorize downloads on a box-by-box basis. If that were true in his case, formatting could render the box unusable.

#19 ·
I'll be talking with them tomorrow about this and the firewire situation with the 3250. Hopefully they will be able to assist me.

#20 ·
I agree bfdtv, that's why I said he needs to contact his cableco and get permission or get them to do it. vegggas included that caveat too in his Guide as, like you said, one could render the box useless by trying it yourself. I think the bottom line is that he shouldn't be having these problems with the recordings and the cableco needs to correct. Unfortunately, there are a lot of folks here who probably know a lot more than the cableco about this stuff and he simply needs to gather some info and find someone willing to discuss the problem and possible solutions.

Did I say, simply? It might be a little more difficult than that. :)

In a perfect world, all it would take is a phone call and the problem would be resolved. Unfortunately, the digital conversion has got everyone off kilter, cableco techs included. It's easy to blame them and call them stupid, but I think that is misdirected as I'm sure they are doing the best they can with what they've been given. In an effort to remain competitive, companies (cable and sat) have rolled out stuff that really isn't ready for prime-time. But, I think most of us would rather have it than not, problems and all.

#21 ·
vegggas,

Once again, a great resource for me to refer to time and time again! (I've been reading your 3250HD thread for months!) I too am on Cox Cable but in Fairfax, Va. My software/firmware versions are identical to yours:

ROM Image. . 1.83.4.8

OS. . . . . . . . .6.4.9.1

SARA. . . . . . .1.83.4.a8

PowerKEY LIB 3.5.21.4

HAL2 Driver. .1.1.13.140

ATI Driver. . . 2.0.51.211

PHAL3 Driver. 3.5.8.2

I have had the 8000HD for a couple of weeks now and enjoy it very much. However, I have had two occasions where the PVR will not record for no apparent reason and I've had to unplug the box to reboot, then all is well again. But that's not why I'm writing this time.

I tried your "Lazy man's Diagnostic mode" (#7 on 8000 STB Tricks.) I did not get the diagnostic mode (and I did wait until the Mail light was blinking before pressing Channel up.) But I did get "E-00" on the front of the STB in place of the Channel/Time display. Pressing exit or channel up/down, power off/on does not clear the "E-00". All other functions work fine--I just have that "E-00" displayed all the time. Do you think I should force a reboot by unplugging the box or will "bad things happen?"

Thanks again for the great and invaluable info.!

Dave

#22 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by DaveST
I tried your "Lazy man's Diagnostic mode" (#7 on 8000 STB Tricks.) I did not get the diagnostic mode (and I did wait until the Mail light was blinking before pressing Channel up.) But I did get "E-00" on the front of the STB in place of the Channel/Time display.
That should be page up ... not channel up. I'm on Cox Fairfax as well and it works just fine.

With E-00 on the front of the box ... I'd lean towards rebooting the box (unplug, replug).

Note to veggas ... you might want to edit that post.

#24 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by dt_dc
That should be page up ... not channel up. I'm on Cox Fairfax as well and it works just fine.

With E-00 on the front of the box ... I'd lean towards rebooting the box (unplug, replug).

Note to veggas ... you might want to edit that post.
Ooops! Post edited. I meant to say page up, but wrote channel up instead. Sorry guys. Thanks for pointing that out.

I actually use it all the time and it works with the other SA digiboxes too....

Careful with the display showing that diagnostic code! You are very close to pressing a series of buttons that can reformat the drive (List x3) or something we don't know about.

Quote:
Now, what else can I screw up?
If you really want to test something, try recording two HD programs at the same time while archiving an HD program to VCR (down-res'd of course) and also playing back an HD program all at the same instance. After that, check your recording for video dropouts. If that doesn't break anything (it shouldn't) your Golden.

I have also been called out on the video quality of the 8000HD. Can anyone else with these drivers on SARA, CONFIRM their OTA compared to 8000HD PQ. My testing on multiple display devices showed no difference, but... YMMV. I'm also asking this on my local forum, in case it is more of a local issue where our OTA and cable signals are the same.

vegggas

#25 ·
Quote:
If you really want to test something, try recording two HD programs at the same time while archiving an HD program to VCR (down-res'd of course) and also playing back an HD program all at the same instance. After that, check your recording for video dropouts. If that doesn't break anything (it shouldn't) your Golden.
Not a problem here. Well, using the transport controls (Play/Pause/FF/etc.) were a little slow to respond while playing back the HD recording but no dropouts (video or audio); it performed admirably!

I did notice the PIP will only show the "Copying to VCR" video but that's certainly understandable with everything else going on.

Ready for next mission :D

DaveST

#26 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by DaveST
Ready for next mission
Do the above ... with the disc almost filled ... and AutoErase turned on ... around midnight (as new guide data first becomes available) ... with lots of different 'all episodes' recordings scheduled ... :)

Actually, I have been getting some dropouts around midnight and they seem related to some combination of the above ... if I clear some space, turn off auto-erase, and clear out most of the 'all episode' recordings they seem to go away ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.