I would like to list the issues I am having with my SA 8300 HDC and see if these are common issues, or if there is a problem with my unit. Based on some previous threads, this unit does seem to have problems, which generally seem to be software related. TWC has offered to give me a new box, but I have SB 42 saved in HD, and I want to find a way to record it to DVD before changing boxes.
1) Recordings missed/skipped. Today, it should have recorded Celebrity Apprentice, Lipstick Jungle, a few other shows. Nothing. Last recording is from last night. I checked Series Manager, and both series are set to record.
2) Recordings cut off. Sometimes, it starts 5-10 minutes late. Or it stops recording 5-10 minutes from the end. I have no idea what causes this. But this has happened to 3 or 4 shows in the last month or so.
3) DVR functions unavailable. Sometimes, when I try to use DVR functions to rewind live tv, I get "DVR functions are currently unavailable. Please try again in one minute." Or something like that. Wth?
4) Lock Ups. I've noticed that if I am recording 2 shows and viewing a recorded show... the system is very sluggish. And sometimes I cannot fast forward or rewind the recorded show.
5) Cablecard error. I will suddenly get a cable card error. Everything freezes... can't change channels, cant call up the menu, cant power down, etc. If I unplug the unit and then power up again... everything is back to normal. This has happened 2 or 3 times since I got the unit in Nov 07.
6) Spontaneous reboot. Suddenly, the unit reboots itself. This happened about 6 or 7 times the first week. Tech came out, heard the problem and told me that a software upgrade had occurred, and that it should not happen anymore. He convinced me it was not necessary to switch to a new unit. I have to admit, since then, it has only happened maybe twice in 3 months. Still twice too many though?
Suggestions? Will a replacement help, or are these issues something I will have to live with if I want HD DVR through TWC NY? Is there a trick to make the box work more smoothly?
Any help would be greatly appreciated! Also if you have the same box/service, are you experiencing the same problems? Different ones?