Central Florida dvr options - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 03-14-2008, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So, we got an IN72 last year, and loved it. We were fairly happy with our Dish service, and didn't really care about HDTV yet, but the recent addition of a 32" Toshiba Regza changed our minds within three days. The cable dude came out yesterday and got us all hooked up.

The problem is that the HD-DVR that Bright House provides sucks mightily. I mean, it's really amazingly bad. Some of the problems are (I assume) correctable by contacting tech support, but the usability of the system itself is just sooo limited. I thought it was bad giving up our Replay for the Dish DVR, but this is way worse. We're pondering our options now:

1) Get over it - stick with the new crappy cable DVR, and get them to fix whatever it is that makes the Info show up wrong on *every* channel, and whatever it is that prevents onDemand from working. We'd just have to live with a crappy search feature, no forward skip, and whatever features I'm sure are missing.
2) Call Dish, tell them we want to switch to cable for the HD offerings, and hope there is a deal (and decent DVR) available to retain us. We're more or less used to their regular DVR, and while we're dreading the upcoming summer storm interference, it's got to be better than this.
3) Call DirectTV and do the same.
4) Buy or build a DVR that isn't serviced by our provider

Anyone else have to make this decision? I can't believe how disappointing the SA 8300 series is =(
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 03-14-2008, 10:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
TiVO?
post #3 of 3 Old 03-17-2008, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Success!

We called Dish three times this weekend, attempting to do an upgrade deal. I kept getting braindead reps, who kept telling me my only choice was to purchase at full price from a retailer. Fortunately, I called back today.

After nearly two hours on the phone (and three reps in at least two departments) we have a 722 being installed on Wednesday. Apparently, way back at installation, someone put another 322 on our account that we don't pay for and don't see referenced online. How very strange... In any event, once the tech removed that one, we showed up as eligible, and he was able to schedule an installer, and we will have HD service (with a 350/55 hour DVR) in just a couple of days.

Three cheers for competent service representatives!

BTW, thanks for the TiVo suggestion - I'm awfully cheap, and they're awfully expensive... I think I'd build a unit before I bought a TiVo.
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page