New Comcast customer needs more recording time - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 03-15-2008, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just got Comcast with HD and got a Motorolla dct6412 which holds only 20 hours of HD. Does anyone know if there is a way to make it record more time i.e. an external hard drive?

If not, what are my options? Can I get some other DVR that would work with Comcast w/HD?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-15-2008, 11:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Currently, the only way to expand capacity on systems with Motorola equipment is to buy your own DVR. You have three options: (1) dual-tuner TivoHD, (2) discontinued, single-tuner Sony DHG-HDD250/500, or (3) Vista CableCard PC.

My TivoHD has a 1TB drive for 144+ HD hours capacity.

HDTV Recorder Comparison Chart | DTVPal DVR FAQ | New! TiVo Premiere (Series4) FAQ |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 Old 03-16-2008, 01:34 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks alot bfd. Any suggestions on the best (cheapest lol) place to buy a TivoHD from? How did you get 1tb drive? Can you just replace the hard drive it has with a 1tb drive? Or are you using an external hard drive? Please help me figure this out because I'd love to have a Tivo HDDVR box with a 1TB drive as well. Thanks!
post #4 of 4 Old 03-17-2008, 03:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by He Save Dave View Post

Thanks alot bfd. Any suggestions on the best (cheapest lol) place to buy a TivoHD from? How did you get 1tb drive? Can you just replace the hard drive it has with a 1tb drive? Or are you using an external hard drive? Please help me figure this out because I'd love to have a Tivo HDDVR box with a 1TB drive as well. Thanks!

The TivoHD is available for ~$250 with fees ($12.99/mo or $129/yr) or $699 without any fees. Amazon.com is a good place to buy the ~$250 version.

You'll need one MCARD from Comcast to support both tuners. This card plugs into the front of the TivoHD. Comcast will provide this for free if you have digital cable, but you will probably need to schedule an installation for it.

For the 1TB upgrade, I would suggest a DVR drive like the Western Digital WD10EVCS. Buy.com has it for $247 shipped after this coupon. To upgrade, you remove the internal drive, connect it to computer, and select 'Backup' in the free WinMFS utility. Then you connect the new 1TB drive and select 'Restore' in WinMFS. Detailed instructions are below.

If you aren't comfortable removing and replacing the internal drive, then you can add the 500GB Western Digital "My DVR Expander" external eSATA drive instead; that will increase capacity to 86 HD hours. This drive is "plug and play" with the TivoHD. Personally though, I prefer internal drive upgrades for the increased capacity -- 144 vs. 86 HD hours. Internal drives upgrades also avoid a second point of failure (if the external drive goes bad, you lose all recordings).

Quote:
TiVo Internal Upgrade Instructions

These instructions are for use under Windows XP SP2 and Windows Vista only. Do not use these instructions with previous versions of Windows.

1. Remove the outer case and existing drive using a torx screwdriver in the T10 size. If you don't have one of appropriate length, you can purchase the Star Driver T10 Ampro (9014713) from Advance Auto Parts for about $4.

2. Download WinMFS here.

3. Shut down Windows, turn off your computer, and connect only the original TiVo drive. You can open your computer and connect it with a SATA cable, or you can connect it externally with a SATA->USB adapter.

4. Turn on your computer and launch WinMFS. If using Windows Vista, you'll want to launch WinMFS by right-clicking on WinMFS.exe and selecting "Run as Administrator."

5. In WinMFS, click 'Select Drive' to select the original TiVo drive.

6. In WinMFS, select the 'Backup' option to create a backup. Remember where you save it.

7. Shut down Windows, turn off your computer, and disconnect the original TiVo drive. Connect your new replacement SATA drive. You can open your computer and connect it with a SATA cable, or you can connect it externally with a SATA->USB adapter.

8. Turn on your computer and launch WinMFS. If using Windows Vista, you'll want to launch WinMFS by right-clicking on WinMFS.exe and selecting "Run as Administrator."

9. In WinMFS, click 'Select Drive' to select the new replacement SATA drive.

10. In WinMFS, select the 'Restore' option and select the backup file you saved earlier. This will restore the TiVo software to the new drive.

11. When the restore is complete, WinMFS will ask you if you want to expand the drive to use the new space. Select yes.

12. Select Tools-> MfsSuperSize -> On.

13. Shutdown your computer and disconnect the drives.

14. Reinstall the internal drive and replace the TiVo's outer case.

15. You're done. Store your original TiVo drive in a safe place.

HDTV Recorder Comparison Chart | DTVPal DVR FAQ | New! TiVo Premiere (Series4) FAQ |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page