What converter box to get? Comcast's HD-DVR or ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-26-2008, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Oh Gurus of the electronic world I need a little advise.

Currently I have DISH Network using a DVR that runs two TVs (model #522) and thinking of moving to Comcast. The Dish Network DVR has a feature that allows us to record two channels at the same time (during prime time) and allows us to watch the recorded shows from either TV.

What would be the best way to enter the HD-DVR arena with a similar setup? Would I need two separate HD-DVR boxes with Comcast (model DCH3416) or ?. Does DCH3416 only record one program at a time? Can you share the recorded programming between the two boxes or TVs? Does Comcast offer a box that allows you to record two channels at once or network the two boxes?

And the most important question of all - will the duel channel box(s) allow for time shifting (the 30-second skip)? Since DVRs are now coming with cable cards does this mean that TIVO or some other vendor can sell a converter box for use on the Comcast network?

Any Suggestions would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2008, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nail*head View Post

Currently I have DISH Network using a DVR that runs two TVs (model #522) and thinking of moving to Comcast. The Dish Network DVR has a feature that allows us to record two channels at the same time (during prime time) and allows us to watch the recorded shows from either TV.

Even the cable company's boxes have dual tuners these days; it's pretty much a "must have" feature anymore.

Quote:

What would be the best way to enter the HD-DVR arena with a similar setup? Would I need two separate HD-DVR boxes with Comcast (model DCH3416) or ?. Does DCH3416 only record one program at a time? Can you share the recorded programming between the two boxes or TVs? Does Comcast offer a box that allows you to record two channels at once or network the two boxes?

The box you indicate does not have multi-room functionality; I know there is a Moto box that does have that ability, but I don't recall the specific model; your cable company may or may not even offer that box. As I mentioned above, the DCH-3xxx and 6xxx units are dual-tuner devices. As far as specific boxes with multi-room functionality, you'd have to inquire with your local Comcast office; what they offer varies from location to location.

However, note that many people have found the cableco DVR boxes to leave a lot to be desired in the reliability department; also, in the functionality department, depending on specifically what software they're running (there are multiple options, and you don't really get much choice - it's decided by the cable company, and you get to live with their decision).

Quote:

And the most important question of all - will the duel channel box(s) allow for time shifting (the 30-second skip)? Since DVRs are now coming with cable cards does this mean that TIVO or some other vendor can sell a converter box for use on the Comcast network?

"Time shifting" is just recording for later playback; 30-second skip is another matter entirely. That depends on the software being used - depending on whose they're using you may or may not get a 30-second skip/slip feature.

As for CableCARD, yes, you can buy a TiVo HD DVR and get CableCARDs from your cable company; it does have certain limitations (PPV is possibly out; on-demand is out; switched digital video (SDV) is still in the wait-and-see phase, as the SDV tuning resolvers should supposedly be appearing within the next 3 months - you may or may not yet be affected by SDV), but TiVo is definitely the king of DVRs today. It beats the pants off Moto and SA's offerings for sure, and the other guys (Moxi, Pace, etc.) don't really have anything to match it. Comcast is also offering Moto boxes with an OCAP version of the TiVo software running on them; results have been mixed thus far, but it's actually available in some areas - inquire with your Comcast office for more info.