WD's "my dvr expander" with the 8300hd - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 04-02-2008, 10:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
this is also posted over in the HDTV recorders forum, but any help is appreciated. anyway . . .

so, this may be answered in the "it works" thread, but after 220-some pages, i'm finding it to hard to search for a specific answer. i'm running passport thru the 8300HD (not hdc) from TWcolumbus and i just got the "my dvr expander" yesterday. much to my surprise i find out about the "no ff/rew" on live tv once you hook up the external drive. i 've read a few things on here about this problem, but my question, and the answer i can't seem to find by searching, is "is there a way around this yet?"

has anyone discovered the way to teach the dvr that it's ok to pause/ff/rewind live TV or is this just a screw-job from the cable company that i'm not gonna be able to get around?

mind you, if i'm stuck, that'll be fine in the longrun, because 90% of what i watch is already dvr'ed, but that other 10% (and a MUCH larger % for the girl) that IS live tv is the exact kind of stuff that i'd usually want to scroll back for those random "WTF?!?!?" moments. i just hate the thought that trying to make my HD dvr something i can actually have a decent amount of material on will actually limit what i'm trying to improve . . .

"let's not talk of love and flowers and things that don't explode"

psn: RobynLiquorstorz
xbox live: RobynLiquorstrz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 04-06-2008, 11:04 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I don't believe there is any fix for this. The workaround is to hit record when you are watching so that you can watch it off the drive even if you are only seconds away from live. Then you can pause, backup etc. Then just delete when you are done watching.
Reply Digital Recorders (PVRs) General

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page