Navigator coming to Time Warner in North Carolina - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-07-2008, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just got a flyer in the mail today saying that TWC in North Carolina is going to be rolling out Navigator to replace SARA.

I've taken a look at some of the pages comparing the two, but I'm still wondering if I'm going to hate it. Anyone here who's had a similar transition or used both have any comments?

Anyone else in the same area get the same flyer?

Shouldn't they be spending their time rolling out more HD channels to compete with DirecTV? Then again, DirecTV has a better interface too. And so does TiVo. I guess this is their chance, if it isn't better I might finally get around to buying a HD TiVo or switching to DirecTV.

The screenshots in the flyer don't make me hopeful that it's going to be a huge improvement. For example, the guide still seems to waste a good bit of screen real estate that could be used for showing more info.

Anyway, comments?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2008, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swills View Post

Just got a flyer in the mail today saying that TWC in North Carolina is going to be rolling out Navigator to replace SARA.

I've taken a look at some of the pages comparing the two, but I'm still wondering if I'm going to hate it. Anyone here who's had a similar transition or used both have any comments?

Anyone else in the same area get the same flyer?

Shouldn't they be spending their time rolling out more HD channels to compete with DirecTV? Then again, DirecTV has a better interface too. And so does TiVo. I guess this is their chance, if it isn't better I might finally get around to buying a HD TiVo or switching to DirecTV.

The screenshots in the flyer don't make me hopeful that it's going to be a huge improvement. For example, the guide still seems to waste a good bit of screen real estate that could be used for showing more info.

Anyway, comments?

Where are you in NC? SARA in Greensboro here.
Old 04-19-2008, 06:41 PM

I came here to look this up. I have one DVR with some new menu system (and one still on Sara). So far it doesn't seem any worse - however the menu system looks a little blocky. One thing that may be better is (and I am not 100% on this as it could be on the local drive) it seems you can stop/FF etc on the external sata. Anyone know what the diagnostic equiv to 999 is on this one?
Old 04-29-2008, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

I got upgraded sometime last night and I have to say, I'm happier than I expected to be. Can't help with other folks questions, sorry.

Dislikes:

I still hate the amount of screen space wasted by the guide (both the fact that it isn't wide screen and the amount of space that isn't used effectively) and the fact that you can't see more channels at once. Also the lack of different color schemes makes the low contrast of dark blue on light blue of highlighted channels in the guide sorta weak. Not great for folks with poor vision, luckily mine is ok. Oh and I do wish I could just disable channels I will never ever watch (shopping channels, certain news channels, etc.).

Overall I like the new interface. I like the Access Menu. I like being able to find search shows by category, etc. I like being able to make favorite channels show up at the top. The interface seems faster over all. It's nice that you can see how full the hard drive is now. (Maybe you could before, but I didn't see it.) It shows when shows start/end more accurately. There are a ton of nice small tweaks. Overall, it's a step in the right direction.
Old 04-29-2008, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVRWOODY View Post

Where are you in NC? SARA in Greensboro here.

Raleigh area.
Old 04-30-2008, 11:59 AM

Raleigh was on Passport not SARA.I have beach house that was in the Raleigh TWC cluster and also got Navigator.People on Sara still have Sara.As far as I know no Sara areas have recived Navigator yet. Sara 1.89.17.1 in Greensboro
Old 05-07-2008, 12:42 PM

I am in Cary, NC. Just got the new "navigator"

Free disk space confirmed the old software had bugs. Some old programs took a lot of space. (20%)??

One disappointment, is when ff or rew, with the old software the l/r buttons would take you +/- 15 minutes. I have not been able to figure out how to do this with the new software

One problem, is it has hung several times, requiring pulling the plug to reboot. Holding the on/off button does not seem to work.

Another problem was I could see the guide/list, but no program, live or recorded. Pulling plug fixed that.

Reboots take a lot longer.

Your results may vary